General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Don't change your own oil? Check this out...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suggest to anyone that uses FRAM filters to go to an auto parts store and compare them to some other brands. I was amazed at the difference between them. Hell the FRAM one didnt even come with a new O-ring for the cap that goes over the filter. Look inside the filters too. There is a big difference in the way that is done too. The FRAM ones just seem so cheap after looking at others.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:36 AM
08cobalt1lt

I would go with the Napa Gold filters. I have used Fram for years, but after doing some research on oil and filters for the new engine in my '69 Road Runner (flat tappet cam) I switch to the Napa Gold prior to firing the new motor. A good web-site to get all the info you need on oil and filters is www.bobistheoilguy.com . Click on the oil forums. Thanks - 08cobalt
Old 07-17-2008, 03:45 AM

Fram..... Seriously who uses those shitty filters. Buy up a stock online of some better ones!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i change my own oil and i only use synthetic and nobody around here does synthetic at the price of the good stuff and a filter. takes me like 15 minutes and that's without even having to lift the car, you get a little dirty but oh well. lube joints are a jip.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used do mine, but now I bribe my buddy Chris (NamedGobalt on here) with food to do mine for me b/c im uber lazy

But yeah, that filter is way gone. I change mine every 5k, new filter every time of course
Old 07-17-2008, 09:11 AM

the OP's filter doesn't look far off from a heavily-used filter - that's what my friend's Cavalier filter looks like whenever he changes it, and he changes it at 3k-5k.

as far as filters go, i honestly can't believe you're griping about the condition of that used filter and then you went out to buy a fram, of all things.

at least spend the extra two dollars and get an AC Delco, or similarly high-end brand.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:15 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
has anyone really tested an figured out if there is a difference between AC Delco and cheap filters?

Cause I here a lot of talk but haven't seen results showing that. Not saying it's not true, just havent seen it personally
Old 07-17-2008, 09:16 AM

dude, that really in all honesty doesnt look that bad. I do about 5-6 oil changes on various ecotecs everyday, and they all start to look like that. soo, dont worry, thats actually kinda normal.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:27 AM

I've had a few that were pretty torn up. Nothing like that though. Might have been improper installation or something too.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:27 AM

they fit pretty tightly into the drain hole, maybe the twisting happens when you unscrew the cap and the filter paper is fully soaked with hot oil.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:38 AM

Yeah, from my experience as a lube tech, changing oil just about everyday, I don't see too much of a problem, unless you really don't trust where you get it done...

I got my balt in july 06, I change the oil every 3k miles, and it still looks about like that. The twisting is most likely due to the extreme temperatures of the oil, and the direction of which it flows, not anything to do with removing or installation. The same thing happens on most internal oil filters, and probably external ones, except you can't see them thru the metal casing. Once you do it once on a supercharged version, it becomes pretty quick the next time. I just grab two six inch extensions, a ratchet, and the filter cap socket, place the socket on first, then just send down the extensions and wallah, filter opened. A bit of contorsion work to pull out the filter, and then it's the the same in reverse.

Oh yeah, I also like to let the oil drain before changing the filter, I noticed that a decent amount will come out of a completely drained engine, once you open the filter, due to vaccum I suppose.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OneSlowGto
Fram..... Seriously who uses those shitty filters. Buy up a stock online of some better ones!
I do, b/c they are conveiniently located across the the Mobil 1 oil in my local War-Mart
Old 07-17-2008, 09:40 AM

Btw You Do Not Need To Replace The Gasket!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chad92
So, I've got 22 500 km on my 2007 Cobalt now, bought it at 20 000. Changed the oil in it yesterday, check out what I found when I took out my oil filter...

I'm just going to safely assume that this filter has never been changed - it's probably factory installed. The Edmonton Lube-X sticker that was on my windshield when I bought the car read that the oil was replaced in January 2008. Something seems fishy to me.

So there's a little warning to everyone who doesn't change their oil themselves - they may not be replacing the filter. Sure, it's pain in the ass to pull out if it's under the supercharger, but mine isn't supercharged. It's called laziness. Throttle response is at least 40% faster than before I changed the oil, and I don't hear the engine knock for a couple seconds when I start the engine with a brand new FRAM filter.
My brother does mine... If he can't do it, his lift is tied up, the other guys are all friends of mine and I go out and pretty much help, or do it myself. That's the advantage of living in the middle of nowhere. I am an untrusting bastard when it comes to my car. Any work is done, I am right there, damn the insurance.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:13 AM

The only reason I bought a FRAM was because that's the only thing anywhere in town sold. Next time I'll order it online or go to Camrose a look there. Didn't really want to put it in, but I knew my oil's life was up.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:17 AM

Holy ****, yeah that hasn't been replaced... Always change your filter with evey oil change...
Old 07-17-2008, 11:18 AM

i'd go an extra 1,000 miles before my change before i'd put a FRAM in.

as long as i knew i had a high quality filter, driving a bit of a ways out to get another good filter wouldn't upset me in the slightest.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive had the same result with napa gold filters as the original poster

Originally Posted by 08cobalt1lt
I would go with the Napa Gold filters. I have used Fram for years, but after doing some research on oil and filters for the new engine in my '69 Road Runner (flat tappet cam) I switch to the Napa Gold prior to firing the new motor. A good web-site to get all the info you need on oil and filters is www.bobistheoilguy.com . Click on the oil forums. Thanks - 08cobalt
I would not use anything but oem filters for the difference in price.
When I had the problem with the filter I thought it looked like the paper wasnt strong enough to take the oil pressure from running the engine to redline,and twisted up.

The problem occured twice with napa gold but never the oem filters and I change the oil myself religiously at 5000 kms.

The napa guy said it was something I did or from unscrewing is and the O-ring sticking.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Coblasts
I would not use anything but oem filters for the difference in price.
When I had the problem with the filter I thought it looked like the paper wasnt strong enough to take the oil pressure from running the engine to redline,and twisted up.

The problem occured twice with napa gold but never the oem filters and I change the oil myself religiously at 5000 kms.

The napa guy said it was something I did or from unscrewing is and the O-ring sticking.
Mine twisted a little on last change, but not much.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:15 PM

I change my own because people over torque the **** out of everything.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
has anyone really tested an figured out if there is a difference between AC Delco and cheap filters?

Cause I here a lot of talk but haven't seen results showing that. Not saying it's not true, just havent seen it personally
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...highlight=fram

When i compared Ac delco to a fram in this thread i found alot of differences in just the plastic housing . You can't compare a used element to a new one, but the housing differences were enough to get me to change.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo

Personally I've used 3 types: stock (gm/ac delco), fram, super tech (wal mart filter)...they all work the same and no problems with any of them (plus never deformed like this one) so I'm going out on a limb and saying: "a filter is a filter...no difference". I wouldn't trust the walmart synthetic oil but the filter yeah...but it's only 40-50 cents cheaper than fram.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I know for a fact that they didn't replace my filter once. Even though I showed them how to reach it. I was pissed about it because my oil life dropped quickly.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:12 PM

just to put my two sense in. but i am a manager of a lube shop in NC and when it comes to a paper filter they are all made at the same two or three wearhouses. And when it comes to paper canister filters it doesnt make a difference whether its an advanced auto brand or a mobil one. I change mine every 3000 miles, mine gets twisted just like that and we have honeywell filters which is the same company who makes the fram filters.... ive been doin this for almost 6 years and have many good reps from honeywell who is one of my vendors.

like i said just me two cents... take it as you would like...