General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Drove a Cobalt SS...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 01:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Drove a Cobalt SS...

Finally found a local dealer w/one in stock so I went on over to check it out & take it for a spin.

I was not impressed at all. I went into it not expecting much & I was pretty much right on w/all I thought would happen.

The exterior looks decent. Would be better w/dual tailpipes, though.
I did like the body color accents on the door panel & seats, but the seats are way too cheap. They remind me of the cheap seat covers I had on my old Daytona Shelby Z. I am betting your ass would be in pain after an hour or 2 straight in that car. No power seats = gay.

The way they have the DIC set up is stupid. The water temp gauge should be there to see 24/7. Should not have to flip through 50 things to see it & there should be an oil press. gauge as well.

Engine bay is too cramped. Good luck doing a pulley swap!

The wing was in my line of sight too much. That would be a PITA to deal with everyday.

Now for the actual drive...

Shifter was eh. Shifts could have been shorter IMO.
The car seemed to ride decent, but nothing to brag about. Handling was average. I expected more, but then I remembered it was a new GM car so I quickly came to my senses.

The car is a dog IMO. No fun factor here. It's quick, but nothing worth talking about or buying. The only thing I liked over the SRT-4 is there was no wheel hop w/the SS. For a fairly light blown & IC "tuner" car it's a shitbox not worth the $21k they wanted to sell it to me for. maybe this mid 14 second car is enough to satisfy the ricers that don't know **** & think it's fast, but I drive faster cars so I know this car isn't anything to write home about.

The '05 Accord EX M6 I drove was more fun than this car.

Another thumbs down for a new GM car from me.

Disclaimer: I didn't come here to flame the car. I simply posted what I thought of it after driving it so don't come in here feeling liek you have to defend it.

If you'd like to discuss it then please chime in, but I'm not looking for a flame war.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Havoc
but then I remembered it was a new GM car so I quickly came to my senses.
This statement alone proves you have an anti GM bias, and thus your opinion on the car is redudant and useless to anyone looking for an honest answer, your just as bad as Car and Driver with their "Gotta have it factor" that means absolutely nothing, and allows them to justify who ever has paid them the most.

Frankly I don't believe you came here for anything BUT to start a flame war and get attention as you know before hand that on a Cobalt SS site they are going to be partial to their car, and yet you claim you just want to discuss it, well why so if you have already made up your mind. You said you wern't expecting much, meaning you had already made up your mind before you drove the car, Frankly I wouldn't doubt that you went and drove it just for fuel to add to a flame war you were going to start. Frankly, had you done this on my GTO board, I would have banned you.....

Just saying.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:47 AM

eh.. i want from a 99 TransAm to mine and im completely happy with it. To each his own.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:10 AM

I believe your entitled to your own opinion. However, you should never compare a car because you have driven faster and better cars...that's just biased. That's just the same as me driving a Ferrari or Lamborghini and then saying that every other car sucks because it doesn't handle as well or goes as fast.

At least you attempted to compare the car to SRT-4, but I dis-credit any sort of opinion from you because you seem to think that because you have driven a more expensive car, or own a more expensive vehicle, that the cobalt is crappy because of it.

In it's price range it is one hell of a vehicle. And you wouldn't buy it for $21,000? Perhaps you think vehicles cost nothing to make. I guess charging $21,000 is okay for an SRT-4, but not the cobalt?

Your comments confuse me, and you seem to have nothing good to say. Also, these statements are stupid:

Handling was average
I remember the car beating the WRX in handling.

The car is a dog IMO. No fun factor here. It's quick, but nothing worth talking about or buying.
How can a car be a dog...I assume you mean slow, and then two sentences later be quick?

Whatever

Vendian
Old 06-05-2005, 02:17 AM

This topic is falt out an opition.......

just another individual thats against the cobalt and GM........sorry that you have negative experiences with the car allready being new at this stage........I can image a 2 years from what the cobalt can push up to.......heh.......

see ya....

Dude.....
Old 06-05-2005, 02:19 AM

Quote:
The car is a dog IMO. No fun factor here. It's quick, but nothing worth talking about or buying.

BTW.....was that your 1st post.........ROFL....

see ya........

dude.....
Old 06-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nocturn
This statement alone proves you have an anti GM bias, and thus your opinion on the car is redudant and useless to anyone looking for an honest answer, your just as bad as Car and Driver with their "Gotta have it factor" that means absolutely nothing, and allows them to justify who ever has paid them the most.
My current daily driver is a GM vehicle & most of my previous cars have been GM vehicles. None new, though. My current one is a '99. Thanks for playing though!!

Frankly I don't believe you came here for anything BUT to start a flame war and get attention as you know before hand that on a Cobalt SS site they are going to be partial to their car, and yet you claim you just want to discuss it, well why so if you have already made up your mind. You said you wern't expecting much, meaning you had already made up your mind before you drove the car, Frankly I wouldn't doubt that you went and drove it just for fuel to add to a flame war you were going to start. Frankly, had you done this on my GTO board, I would have banned you.....

Just saying.
Don't get butt hurt on me.

You'd ban someone for posting their opinion? Wow, you need a reality check. JUst for you.... I don't like the GTO either.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vendian
I believe your entitled to your own opinion. However, you should never compare a car because you have driven faster and better cars...that's just biased. That's just the same as me driving a Ferrari or Lamborghini and then saying that every other car sucks because it doesn't handle as well or goes as fast.
If you READ my ENTIRE post you'd see that was not the ONLY thing going on.

[At least you attempted to compare the car to SRT-4, but I dis-credit any sort of opinion from you because you seem to think that because you have driven a more expensive car, or own a more expensive vehicle, that the cobalt is crappy because of it. [/quote] Again see above. WHile we're on the SRT-4, it is a lot more car than the Cobalt SS.

In it's price range it is one hell of a vehicle. And you wouldn't buy it for $21,000? Perhaps you think vehicles cost nothing to make. I guess charging $21,000 is okay for an SRT-4, but not the cobalt?
That's your opinion. I disagree.

I remember the car beating the WRX in handling.
I have driven an STi but not a regular WRX so I can compare it to that. No way in hell it comes anywhere near the STi. I doubt it beats the regular WRX either. Have you driven to compare?
Old 06-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Matt
eh.. i want from a 99 TransAm to mine and im completely happy with it. To each his own.
What do you like about it that you did not like w/the TA?
Old 06-05-2005, 10:30 AM

gm considers the cobalt AN ENTRY LEVEL CAR.. judge it how u please.

for 21k with the kind of performance that the SS has, how can u go wrong?

remember what your mother told you:

if you have nothin nice to say, dont say it at all.

were on this forum to talk about the car, not to hear biased put downs.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:43 AM

The water temp gauge should be there to see 24/7. .:
i agree with you here

I did like the body color accents on the door panel & seats, but the seats are way too cheap. They remind me of the cheap seat covers I had on my old Daytona Shelby Z. I am betting your ass would be in pain after an hour or 2 straight in that car. No power seats = gay.
u havent sat in the recaros have you? big difference plus the color accented seats IMO look nice, and are comfortable. u must be sittin on a couch in ur car if you cant stand the seats that bad
Old 06-05-2005, 10:47 AM

you would rather have an accord???? hahahahah, that is to funny in itself. I work for Honda (unfortunatly, i hate them, but its money) and I drive accords and all other pieces of junk everyday. Even the S2000 is trash. I'm glad you dont like the car, cause its one less idiot we have on the streets. Your probably the type that likes a civic with a v-tec, a big carbon fiber air plane wing, 14 inch hubcap spinners, 8 inch muffler with duals and a unpainted body kit on the car. I test drove a SS and I was blown away. I guess when you drive Honda's all day long then get into anything else, its amazing
Old 06-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DanJHartman
were on this forum to talk about the car, not to hear biased put downs.
I talked about the car. You do know that not everyone in the world will like the car, right?
Old 06-05-2005, 11:02 AM

i agree.. im sure theres people that dislike it more than you,
but nobody wants to hear you put down a car that they bought cus to my knowledge ur the only person who has test driven the SS, disliked it, then came here to write about it.
no matter what kinda disclaimer you put there, people will take offense to it
Old 06-05-2005, 11:06 AM

me personally i was amazed at the kind of power the SS S/C had from the factory
i test drove it for 15 minutes, it was the funnest 15 minutes ive had in a while
Old 06-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

If you dislike the car so much, then why spend the time to hunt down a Cobalt forum and argue with happy Cobalt owners? Are you that hard up for attention? Just a troll, look at his screen name, ignore him.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:44 AM

Here we go again.... you obviously don't like the car for ALL the wrong reasons.... and to say 21k isnt a good deal is insane... you find me a car other than the SRT-4 that comes close to the SS and is under or at 21K....

I was not impressed at all. I went into it not expecting much & I was pretty much right on w/all I thought would happen.
Right there.... you didnt like it before you got in it... why did you even test drive it if you werent expecting much... I dont expect much from a KIA therefore I dont even bother.

The exterior looks decent. Would be better w/dual tailpipes, though.
The seats are fine and the optional Recaros are really nice. Dual exuast would make no sense on a 2.0L car if you knew anythign about cars you would know this. That woudl be just for looks abnd therefore woudl be ricer! They don't look like cheap seat covers and there isnt going to be automatic seats on an entry level sporty coupe that cost less than 25k

The way they have the DIC set up is stupid. The water temp gauge should be there to see 24/7. Should not have to flip through 50 things to see it & there should be an oil press. gauge as well.
Usually a test drive isnt enough to figure something out mayeb you shouldnt judge somethin like that after just barely seeing it, and if you werent bias you would have said somethin like good to see a DIC in Chevys entry level car could ahve been better

Engine bay is too cramped. Good luck doing a pulley swap!
ooook moving on stupid comment... Dont you just ahte when they squezze a nice motor and SC into a small engine bay, man I wish they went with a smaller setup

The wing was in my line of sight too much. That would be a PITA to deal with everyday.
You can go find a stock cobalt that wants your wing just like STI's do

Now for the actual drive...

Shifter was eh. Shifts could have been shorter IMO.
The car seemed to ride decent, but nothing to brag about. Handling was average. I expected more, but then I remembered it was a new GM car so I quickly came to my senses.
Your kidding right? get serious your not buyign a 40k 50k or 100k racecar here your buying a 20k dollar car... be happy it even ahs a short shifter, and GM puts out a lot of cars that are AWESOME and you smoke anyting you got.... rmeber the corvette.... oh yeah and that cadillac brand ohhh yeah

The car is a dog IMO. No fun factor here. It's quick, but nothing worth talking about or buying. The only thing I liked over the SRT-4 is there was no wheel hop w/the SS. For a fairly light blown & IC "tuner" car it's a shitbox not worth the $21k they wanted to sell it to me for. maybe this mid 14 second car is enough to satisfy the ricers that don't know **** & think it's fast, but I drive faster cars so I know this car isn't anything to write home about.
its a dog... are you on crack... not many cars push these numbers and have this much power for 21k... you have to know this so why would you say that.

Sounds to me like your a ricer why dont you go put a dual exuast on a 4cyl and we will all come smoke you with our SS's
Old 06-05-2005, 11:56 AM

. . . . .Havoc got
owned
Old 06-05-2005, 12:10 PM

seems like you drive a ton of cars, "you drive faster cars" so obviously you must be an automotive enthusiast.

heres where i classify you. bias towards gm, and a true ricer. why would you put dual exhaust on a 4 cylinder? thats ricer crap, not worth the money, and you gain no extra hp w/ it on a 4 banger turboed or supercharged. interior i can agree could have been much better. keept the same style but different materials could have been used when making the dash, door panels, center consol. seats, just get the recaros you'll be happy. imo the base ss seats felt like that honda accords seats, not to much different in leather quality. exterior is eye catching, you will look twice, and no not just because of the spoiler, which imo fits the car fairly well.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Banned

Yep, With handling nearing the Corvette and acceleration that bests most V8's the Cobalt is a shitbox.

Havoc what do you drive?
Old 06-05-2005, 12:25 PM

Thumbs up

What do you like about it that you did not like w/the TA?
To be perfectly honest i like everything about this car better. The interior is absolutely beautiful for one thing. The seats are extremely comfortable. The stereo is outrageous.. ive never heard a factory system sound so good. I love the XM satellite. It gets good gas mileage. The exterior of the car is beautiful. The controls are easy to use. Hell i dont think GM could have done a better job on this car. Espicially for the price. The only thing better about the TA was of course the power, my best eta in it was 13.3 @ 110 with a couple grand in mods including installation costs. I'll be getting an intake and pulley with the cobalt and should be able to hit the high 13s with no problem. I could go on all day about how much i love the car. I was going to get an SRT-4, but after comparing the two the SS is a much much better deal.

SRT-4
Options - Upgraded mp3 stero, sunroof
warranty - 3yr/36k
interior - got awful looking, cloth, and very bland / exterior - 4 door family sedan looking car. Only thing special is the scoop on the hood.
price: around $22,500 if i remember correctly

Cobalt
Options - all options except on-star (sunroof, mp3/xm stero w/ sub in trunk, leater interior with color inserts etc. etc.)
warranty - 3yr/36k b2b, 6yr 50k powertrain
interior - beautiful leather with embroidered SS on seats, red/black combo / hell interior and exterior are 1000x better on cobalt than srt-4 hands down
price: $23,200 - got it for $21,200

only thing better about neon is that stock it might be a couple 1/10s faster, and the aftermarket is awesome. Cobalt's aftermarket will catch up soon enough. Oh, and the neon gets like 2 more MPG than cobalt.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You come on a cobaltss forum board and post a horrible negative review that is obviously totally off base and you put a disclaimer at the end of your post saying you don't want a flame war?

If you think it's fun to come here and rile people up your going to find out pretty quickly that we don't tolerate it.

No mistake about it, you are a TROLL
Old 06-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Banned

Thumbs down My Cobalt SS test drive

Thanks for locking my thread for no reason & making all sorts of assumptions & judgments. You shouldn't have mod powers, kiddo.

I'll respond to the posts that I didn't get a chance to right here...

Originally Posted by nikeair042
you would rather have an accord???? hahahahah, that is to funny in itself. I work for Honda (unfortunatly, i hate them, but its money) and I drive accords and all other pieces of junk everyday. Even the S2000 is trash.
Why don't you elaborate on that? I've driven all 3 cars in question.

I'm glad you dont like the car, cause its one less idiot we have on the streets. Your probably the type that likes a civic with a v-tec, a big carbon fiber air plane wing, 14 inch hubcap spinners, 8 inch muffler with duals and a unpainted body kit on the car.
No, but thanks for showing me how immature you are. Do you even have a car? Your lovely sn says otherwise. I'm also in NJ. I'd be happy to put one of my cars up against yours. How about it?

I test drove a SS and I was blown away. I guess when you drive Honda's all day long then get into anything else, its amazing
"blown away"? What have you been driving? Besides Hondas.

Chevy4Life85Here we go again.... you obviously don't like the car for ALL the wrong reasons....
Says you? I guess I have higher standards than you.

Originally Posted by Chevy4Life85
and to say 21k isnt a good deal is insane...
Not IMO. You are entitled to think otherwise of course. I won't flame you for liking it like some of you tools are doing because I dislike it. Damn kids.

The seats are fine and the optional Recaros are really nice.
Unless the Raecaros are anything like the Recaros in the EVO, you can keep them. The seats can be fine for you, but they are not for me. Why I am not allowed to have a different opinion?

Dual exuast would make no sense on a 2.0L car if you knew anythign about cars you would know this.
If you knew how to read you'd see I said dual tail pipe not an actual dual exhaust system! Just dual pipes for dual tips.

They don't look like cheap seat covers and there isnt going to be automatic seats on an entry level sporty coupe that cost less than 25k
They look & feel cheap to me & there should be power seats on these cars. At least a driver power seat. I guess it depends on what you're coming from & I see you have a Cavalier & you're a kid so I'm not surprised you don't think they are cheap.

Usually a test drive isnt enough to figure something out mayeb you shouldnt judge somethin like that after just barely seeing it
Funny, I have grown to love many cars a lot from a simple test drive so why can't I dislike one based on the drive? Did you have your Cobalt a week or so before buying it or did you test drive it & then buy it or perhaps you ordered it without even doing that? Get real!

and if you werent bias you would have said somethin like good to see a DIC in Chevys entry level car could ahve been better
I already put this bias bs to rest when I told you tools that my current DD & most of my previous cars have been GM vehicles.

Your kidding right? get serious your not buyign a 40k 50k or 100k racecar here your buying a 20k dollar car... be happy it even ahs a short shifter, and GM puts out a lot of cars that are AWESOME and you smoke anyting you got.... rmeber the corvette.... oh yeah and that cadillac brand ohhh yeah
That's a short shifter?!?!

The Vette is just about all GM has that's worth a crap these days. Please name all these "awesome" cars...

Cadillac looks to be the only GM brand that is not struggling. It's cute how you left out the majority, which is junk btw, though.

So you're saying your Cobalt will smoke "anything i got"? Come on down...

Sounds to me like your a ricer why dont you go put a dual exuast on a 4cyl and we will all come smoke you with our SS's
Another ignorant comment from an uneduacted child. Let me ask you, what cars have you driven in your short lifetime?

Originally Posted by Eddie
heres where i classify you. bias towards gm, and a true ricer. why would you put dual exhaust on a 4 cylinder? thats ricer crap, not worth the money, and you gain no extra hp w/ it on a 4 banger turboed or supercharged.
Anotehr one that can't read AND you're a moderator? Go read my reply to your dual exhaust bs above. This bias crap is beyond silly now. Go read my reply to that above as well. I'm a ricer? My vehicles are anything but rice, kiddo.

Originally Posted by codyss
Yep, With handling nearing the Corvette and acceleration that bests most V8's the Cobalt is a shitbox.
Naering the Vette? Yea, I'm sure GM will put out a #21k car that handles almost as well as their Vette! I drove the thing, nowhere near a Vette, son!

Your sig is cute "TEACHING ONE SRT-4 AT A TIME THAT MY SS IS FASTER!"
You do realize, stock for stock, the SRT-4 is the faster car, right?
Old 06-06-2005, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Chevy4Life85Here we go again.... you obviously don't like the car for ALL the wrong reasons....

Says you? I guess I have higher standards than you.
Yeah yours show your the one that knows nothing

Quote:
and to say 21k isnt a good deal is insane...

Not IMO. You are entitled to think otherwise of course. I won't flame you for liking it like some of you tools are doing because I dislike it. Damn kids.
not a kid BTW last time I checked 19 is an adult but whatever... also I dont like being called a kid when you have no idea who I am... I run my own business I'm buying this "POS" 21k car that you dont like and just ebcuase you were a ******* kid at 19 or you know someone who is doesnt mean I am so lay off the kid comments you idiot

Quote:
The seats are fine and the optional Recaros are really nice.

Unless the Raecaros are anything like the Recaros in the EVO, you can keep them. The seats can be fine for you, but they are not for me. Why I am not allowed to have a different opinion?
not when it makes no sense... how can you say a seat by recaro that sells for over 600 bcuks sucks? are you that blind?

Quote:
Dual exuast would make no sense on a 2.0L car if you knew anythign about cars you would know this.

If you knew how to read you'd see I said dual tail pipe not an actual dual exhaust system! Just dual pipes for dual tips.
exactly my point... a ricer is someone who makes there car "look" faster and you fit that description according to that

Quote:
They don't look like cheap seat covers and there isnt going to be automatic seats on an entry level sporty coupe that cost less than 25k

They look & feel cheap to me & there should be power seats on these cars. At least a driver power seat. I guess it depends on what you're coming from & I see you have a Cavalier & you're a kid so I'm not surprised you don't think they are cheap.
Back with the kid thing again refer to my previous comment on being a "kid" and actually I have driven more cars than you ever have... I have many people in the car business form Hyundai up to Mercedes, and being in all of these different cars you would be crazy not to think the SS is a good buy.

Quote:
Usually a test drive isnt enough to figure something out mayeb you shouldnt judge somethin like that after just barely seeing it

Funny, I have grown to love many cars a lot from a simple test drive so why can't I dislike one based on the drive? Did you have your Cobalt a week or so before buying it or did you test drive it & then buy it or perhaps you ordered it without even doing that? Get real
Who cares what I did the point is your opinion makes no sense... I wouldnt give you a hard time if it did... you act like the car is a POS and its not. Not just my opinion that says so... I could see if your opinion made more sense and you didnt completely bash the car.

Quote:
and if you werent bias you would have said somethin like good to see a DIC in Chevys entry level car could ahve been better

I already put this bias bs to rest when I told you tools that my current DD & most of my previous cars have been GM vehicles.
Obviously not against budget GM cars then... and the DIC is a good step up for chevys 14k-21k car

Quote:

That's a short shifter?!?!

The Vette is just about all GM has that's worth a crap these days. Please name all these "awesome" cars...

Cadillac looks to be the only GM brand that is not struggling. It's cute how you left out the majority, which is junk btw, though.

So you're saying your Cobalt will smoke "anything i got"? Come on down...
It is a short shifter... unless amybe you took an LS out or somethin

Quote:

Another ignorant comment from an uneduacted child. Let me ask you, what cars have you driven in your short lifetime?
Like I said not a Child and more cars than you....

Your the one that sounds like a child trying to back up a bunch of BS, dont you realize that when your opinion is the polar opposite of 100's of other people something is wrong???

Again calling me a child is ignorant becuase I am actually a very young successful adult so dont eb jealous of what you couldnt accomplish at 19
Old 06-06-2005, 02:09 PM

Is this thread locked yet?

Quick Reply: Drove a Cobalt SS...