General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Estimates of the performance of a potential Cobalt with a 2.0L Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by steddy2112
Hey mi6 way to shut me up

The thing is about a trubocharged car is that its easier/cheaper(?) to make go faster so let it run as fast as a stock SS/SC.

Besides most mags are not getting 14.1 out of a SS/SC they are getting more like 14.5...so we may see the 2.0T getting into the 13s stock eh?

uhh....no.

my point isnt that the TC will be easier to mod. i agree it will.

my point is this car is rated at 260hp
ours is rated at 205hp.

everyone is spooging in their pants about this car. when as alot of people predicted (including me) its gonna be nothing special.

and mags quote numbers like a bingo hall
ive seen 14.2-15s for cobalts.

you cant rely on numbers.
the 260hp rating for this sucker is a shining example of that.

this is going to be a TC version of our car. probably no faster.

if you want a turbo, and know that TC cars are easier to mod. this is for you.

but as i said a few weeks ago. this thing is not going to be the monster out of the factory that some people think it will.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is great all this is gonna do is make people get rid of their ss/sc just to run maybe .5 seconds faster that is stupid i HOPE they make a 2.0 l turbo and its barely faster bc then were gonna be the only 4 cylynder supercharged cars on the market and then our cars will become rare and a hot commodity especially when people start finding out how to upgrade the blower on these things
Old 09-04-2006, 04:50 PM

The thing is about a trubocharged car is that its easier/cheaper(?) to make go faster so let it run as fast as a stock SS/SC.

Besides most mags are not getting 14.1 out of a SS/SC they are getting more like 14.5...so we may see the 2.0T getting into the 13s stock eh?
Sorry!

True, the fastest I have seen a Cobalt SS/SC tested is 14.4 @ 100 MPH. If a Solstice GXP runs a 14.1 @98 MPH, there is little difference there. The SS traps slower but at a higher speed, while the GXP traps quicker but at a lower speed. This is possibly a function of the 2.0L turbo and the transmission being used. I imagine that the GXP is finishing the quarter-mile in 4th gear (whereas we can finsh in third stock). If I am not mistaken, the turbo redlines at, or just past 6,000RPM. That likely means there is an extra shift to fourth, which could account for some of the speed/time differences.

C&D usually is pretty good at getting the fastest times out of their cars. When you compare a road test of a vehicle by them to one of the other magazines, they usually have achieved the quickest time. The had recorded the best times for both the C5 Z06 and C6 Z06, so I trust their ability to utilize the performance potential of a vehicle. You have to remember that in all their tests, they lift during the shift and use a clutch. Lots of the people who post quicker times, do so either without lifting or with power-shifting (rev-matching clutchless shifts). It certainly is possible that under better conditions, we could see a 13.9 or 13.8 out of the car, but you need to remember that the SS/SC is likely looksing 0.2-0.3 seconds because it is a FWD car. If we could snap our fingers and make a RWD Cobalt SS, it would easily be running 14.0s stock!!!

That said, the GXP with its claimed (260HP/260 ft-lb) should be quicker, especially considering RWD is better for straight-line acceleration. Clearly, the 205 HP stock claim by GM on the power of the LSJ is total B.S.! There is no way we should be running that fast if we can keep up with a RWD 260 HP car that is only 106 lbs more!
Old 09-04-2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ATXSLOWBALT06
this is great all this is gonna do is make people get rid of their ss/sc just to run maybe .5 seconds faster that is stupid i HOPE they make a 2.0 l turbo and its barely faster bc then were gonna be the only 4 cylynder supercharged cars on the market and then our cars will become rare and a hot commodity especially when people start finding out how to upgrade the blower on these things

Dude i totally f-in agree
Old 09-04-2006, 05:59 PM

If the 2.0 turbo isn't underrated like the 2.0 s/c is then a stage II ss/sc should be as fast or faster.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Real quick

260 is a total bs hp # if its using the same gears and such
Old 09-11-2006, 11:24 AM

It takes a bigger turbo to beat an SC. I figured that engine would perform about the same as the SC still considering its pulling more peak HP. I hope the 2.0 can do better than that.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:41 PM

Well the rated torque curve on the 2.0l TC is actually rather scary since it hits 260lbs at about 2~2.5k rpms and just sits there nearly flat till about 5.3k rpms. Also, the redline on the engine is 6.5k stock.

But thats a key point with the LSJ being massively under rated and the TC I believe is ether fairly close or a touch high. Both cars would finsh the 1/4m in 3rd gear, with the TC getting a little faster time because of the RWD. If you had two cars that were the same drive (front or rear), one with each engine, I truely belive the LSJ would be faster stock. Not by much but it would be.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:58 PM

Gooooooooooo Superchargers!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 06:11 PM

i want a turbo for my 2.0
Old 09-12-2006, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by ATXSLOWBALT06
Just because something is rare isn't always good. Like a s/c is rare on 4 cylinders for a reason. I have no problem with a s/c and would get a 07 Cobalt if I had the money because the insurance on these rumored t/c Cobalts will probably be a lot more. And I like instant power or more instant than a turbo. The GXP might have a lot of turbo lag (guessing) which explains the why it didnt break 14 seconds.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:23 AM

I'm really not sure why everyone says TCs are easier and cheaper then SCs to upgrade. This is true to a certain minimal extent. Yes you can do a boost controller and turn up the boost on a TC to get some more ponies, but it's only slightly easier then switching a pully on an SC. Then just like an SC you have to hope that turning up the boost doesn't cause the car to cut fuel and all that other crap that stock ECUs do when they get odd readings. Also like an SC a TC has a max boost it can make before it becomes inefficient and starts making more hot air then boost. So then it becomes a matter of swapping out the TC for a bigger one.

So essentially, Turbocharging and Supercharging are basically the same as far as ease to get more horsepower from. I would assume that with the the turbo 2.0 you are going to get an extra 50-100hp before you have to get into major upgrades, which is basically the case with the Supercharged 2.0.

All in all I think this is a bunch of hype over nothing. We don't know this is even going to happen, and when it does it won't be that much of a difference. I'm not sure why everyone is all excited about a turbo SS? Is it because of that stupid blow off valve sound? I can see it now, the first week of production we will have 100 "what BOV can I use" threads. Plus I think a Cobalt SS/TC with 260 horses is going to be more expensive because the clutch, and axels are going to need to be beefed up to handle the ponies.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:34 AM

i found an article saying that the 2007 HHR SS will be supercharged. same engine as ours and everything. heres the link that i found it at. http://www.car-data.com/xpage.review...=hhr&writer=cw
Old 09-12-2006, 10:41 AM

I'm not gonna buy one, but I have a car guy at my local pontiac calling me when they get the first GXP coming early to mid october so I can test drive it. My ss/sc is stock and will be then, so hopefully I can let y'all know whether or not the hype is true. I have a sneaky suspicion that those numbers GM is putting on this engine are a bit overhyped. Look at the engine they put in the new monte carlos...303 rated, but really only putting under 250 to the wheels (correct me if I'm wrong). I am excited to try that little puppy out though.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:30 PM

One thing I would really love to see is the next gen LSJ with VVT and Direct Port Fuel Injection. Might not give the engine much more torque, but it would help hold that torque curve high up for far longer, giving you a more solid low end and more ponies on the top end.