General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Exhaust Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Opinions?

Hey guys, so i haven't done anything to the balt in a long time, even though i been wanting to i just haven't had the cash. Lately i been wanting to get an exhaust, but unfortunately like i said I don't have much cash. So right now I'm in the process of looking. Any opinions? i thought about just going to a local shop and go straight piping with a magnaflow muffler?
Let me know what you think, Just trying to get an idea of what i should be looking for, thanks to all those who put their input.

anybody? Come on, help me out here lol.

Last edited by BARBER_IMAZE; 07-27-2010 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-27-2010, 05:59 AM

In my opinion, you cannot go with a worse sounding exhaust...then what you just described. I absolutely hate the sound of a magnaflow...

Hahn, Megan (as long as you arent catless), Dynomax, etc.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:56 AM

I have a 3" custom catback with 18" resonator and a 6" Magnaflow muffler. I don't know what erick161 is talking about cause I think mine sounds sick. And it's definitely the least expensive and best-bang-for-your-buck option
Old 07-27-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by spitefulxcheerio
I have a 3" custom catback with 18" resonator and a 6" Magnaflow muffler. I don't know what erick161 is talking about cause I think mine sounds sick. And it's definitely the least expensive and best-bang-for-your-buck option
Thats sort of what i was aiming for man. You got any sound clips? I like the way the magnaflow sounds thats the reason that was my first choice, plus like you said least expensive but good option. If you dont mind me asking around how much you get that setup for?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:49 AM

Are you catless? If you are, and it still sounds sick, please...i'd like to hear a clip. My friend is catless and runs a mag, you cannot tell the difference between he and a civic
Old 07-28-2010, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Erick161
Are you catless? If you are, and it still sounds sick, please...i'd like to hear a clip. My friend is catless and runs a mag, you cannot tell the difference between he and a civic
hey man, what would your opinion be on catless? I see people who are catless or just go high flow. Can you basically break down the pros and cons, what would gimme more HP?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by BARBER_IMAZE
hey man, what would your opinion be on catless? I see people who are catless or just go high flow. Can you basically break down the pros and cons, what would gimme more HP?
Well i have a catless DP sitting in my garage, so i favor catless. Prob get a few more ponies, nothing crazy. However, with the wrong setup (exhaust), it will sound like complete ass.

...which i why i hate the magnaflow, only because i've heard it in person, catless DP w/ the mag muffler.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:28 AM

Well i have a catless DP sitting in my garage, so i favor catless. Prob get a few more ponies, nothing crazy. However, with the wrong setup (exhaust), it will sound like complete ass.

...which i why i hate the magnaflow, only because i've heard it in person, catless DP w/ the mag muffler.
Okay, so how's that Megan cat back? I've seen it run for about 250 I'm not exactly sure though. Then I would have to look around for a dp correct? Catted or catless, whatever I decide on.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:02 AM

Okay, so how's that Megan cat back? I've seen it run for about 250 I'm not exactly sure though. Then I would have to look around for a dp correct? Catted or catless, whatever I decide on.
Yup. The megan is a nice system, all stainless and such. Some people dont like its sound, like all exhaust, its all about preference.

I was going to go that route (megan), but i think it will sound raspy catless. Dynomax VT, OTTP over axle pipe and ZZP header/DP will be my setup
Old 07-28-2010, 10:17 AM

If you don't mind the fart cannon look ARK makes a nice system and way deeper than most lsj exhaust plus the angled tip is a nice touch lol
Old 07-28-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by JHans5774
If you don't mind the fart cannon look ARK makes a nice system and way deeper than most lsj exhaust plus the angled tip is a nice touch lol
Lol I'm not sure if I'm wanting that look, I'm basically looking for an exhaust that's gonna gimme a deep and mean sound.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:44 PM

I have stock exhaust mani, stock dp and then the catback. I run aluminized pipe because I'm in FL and dont have to deal with snow so with the resonator and shipping it came out to like $450 from mandrelbentexhaust.com

It's a little ricey but its a 4cyl engine. Its always gonna sound bad compared to a V8. I know for pure hp gain, there isnt much difference between exhausts. To see real gains you need to tune the car once the exhaust is on. Also, if you dont plan on going past 300 whp, just get a 2.5" exhaust and save yourself some cash.

I love my setup and it was worth every cent I spent on it. I'll try and post a video of my car revving up so you can hear it. Ill do a before header and dp and after.

Oh and there are very very mild gains between a catless dp and a dp with a hi flow cat. Catless nets you a little more hp but the catted flows almost the exact same (if its a hi flow like the maganflow ones) and it sounds cleaner
Old 07-28-2010, 02:05 PM

I have stock exhaust mani, stock dp and then the catback. I run aluminized pipe because I'm in FL and dont have to deal with snow so with the resonator and shipping it came out to like $450 from mandrelbentexhaust.com

It's a little ricey but its a 4cyl engine. Its always gonna sound bad compared to a V8. I know for pure hp gain, there isnt much difference between exhausts. To see real gains you need to tune the car once the exhaust is on. Also, if you dont plan on going past 300 whp, just get a 2.5" exhaust and save yourself some cash.

I love my setup and it was worth every cent I spent on it. I'll try and post a video of my car revving up so you can hear it. Ill do a before header and dp and after.

Oh and there are very very mild gains between a catless dp and a dp with a hi flow cat. Catless nets you a little more hp but the catted flows almost the exact same (if its a hi flow like the maganflow ones) and it sounds cleaner
I'd appreciate that man, cuz I wanna hear it. I too only have stock mani, stock dp, and I just want a catback exhaust, I also thought about the magnaflow cat. About the 300hp, I doubt ill go that high I just wanna get my car some mods, like the exhaust, stage 2 and then some mounts and sway bar. nothing big.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:38 PM

I'd appreciate that man, cuz I wanna hear it. I too only have stock mani, stock dp, and I just want a catback exhaust, I also thought about the magnaflow cat. About the 300hp, I doubt ill go that high I just wanna get my car some mods, like the exhaust, stage 2 and then some mounts and sway bar. nothing big.
With those plans, stay 2.5". You'll decrease your exhaust gas velocity and lose horsepower. Exhaust gas velocity is an issue with sc'd and N/A cars. Basically if youre not making enough power and pushing more exhaust through your pipes, the speed of your exhaust flow will slow down (due to loss of pressure) and youll lose power.

If you get a header with 2.5" catted dp and 2.5" catback with a resonator, you'll be set up perfect.

I'll work on a video for you
Old 07-28-2010, 02:55 PM

With those plans, stay 2.5". You'll decrease your exhaust gas velocity and lose horsepower. Exhaust gas velocity is an issue with sc'd and N/A cars. Basically if youre not making enough power and pushing more exhaust through your pipes, the speed of your exhaust flow will slow down (due to loss of pressure) and youll lose power.

If you get a header with 2.5" catted dp and 2.5" catback with a resonator, you'll be set up perfect.

I'll work on a video for you
Thanks man, now i know what to look for. I've been looking around at a dp too. let me know whenever you get that video.
I've also been considering going stage 2 pretty soon, and I'm debating between getting an exhaust or stage 2. What would you recommend? Is it best that one gets put on before the other, and if so, which one should i go with first?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:26 PM

I got the stage 2 kit first. You car will flow just fine with stage 2 and stock exhaust
Old 07-28-2010, 05:45 PM

I got the stage 2 kit first. You car will flow just fine with stage 2 and stock exhaust
Which stage 2 did you go with? I thought about going with the OTTP stage 2 kit. And around how much did you get yours for and what did it come with?
Old 07-28-2010, 06:16 PM

I did GM stage 2 because of my warranty and they probably have the best tune for the parts they dish out. I've beaten OTTP stage 2 cobalts before with my setup.

It came with 42# injectors, 3" sc pulley, a shorter belt and the tune. $900 installed. That + a 3" intake and I was happy with the car for a good 8 months
Old 07-28-2010, 06:41 PM

You could also just go to a local muffler shop like u said and have them cut u some whatever size pipe u want for less then 300 im guessing because thats what im about to do, then im gonna get my car tuned
Old 07-28-2010, 08:03 PM

I did GM stage 2 because of my warranty and they probably have the best tune for the parts they dish out. I've beaten OTTP stage 2 cobalts before with my setup.

It came with 42# injectors, 3" sc pulley, a shorter belt and the tune. $900 installed. That + a 3" intake and I was happy with the car for a good 8 months
Well, i dont have my warranty anymore so i thought about the ottp because its cheaper. I've heard good things about it. Do you think that would be the best route for me to go then? OTTP?

Originally Posted by LS2SS
You could also just go to a local muffler shop like u said and have them cut u some whatever size pipe u want for less then 300 im guessing because thats what im about to do, then im gonna get my car tuned
yeah thats what i wanted to do cuz i figured all i'd get at a muffler shop is the piping which would be 2.5, i could buy a magnaflow muffler and high flow cat separate. what you gonna get?

Last edited by BARBER_IMAZE; 07-28-2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-29-2010, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by LS2SS
Not mandrel though
Old 07-29-2010, 12:58 AM
Window Licker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hahn FTW.............you said you want a deep, mean tone, HAHN. Best sounding lsj exhaust imo. Of course you will always have people who are gonna argue with you about it being 3". Its also a little pricey.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:19 AM

Not mandrel though
spitefulxcheerio told me about the site mandrelbentexhaust.com they have a borla exhaust thats mandrel. What did you mean its not mandrel though? about the local shop piping.

Originally Posted by sjc0013
Hahn FTW.............you said you want a deep, mean tone, HAHN. Best sounding lsj exhaust imo. Of course you will always have people who are gonna argue with you about it being 3". Its also a little pricey.
Ill check hahn out, i havent heard any sound clips of it. but ill be sure to check it out. I heard the borla exhaust and i liked that one a lot.

Last edited by BARBER_IMAZE; 07-29-2010 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-29-2010, 04:59 AM

spitefulxcheerio told me about the site mandrelbentexhaust.com they have a borla exhaust thats mandrel. What did you mean its not mandrel though? about the local shop piping.

Ill check hahn out, i havent heard any sound clips of it. but ill be sure to check it out. I heard the borla exhaust and i liked that one a lot.
I quoted exactly whom i was referring too..
Old 07-29-2010, 08:50 AM

local shops do mandrel bending........you just have to look up a shop online.

as for Hahn, yeah it sounds good but for your plans, it's too big AND it costs your arm and unborn child. Not worth it for the simple pleasure of sound IMO. Function > Form any day

most local shops have a wide selection of mufflers you can use! Find a mandrel bending shop (make sure to ask if they do mandrel bending) in your area and ask about their muffler selection. They might even sell the Hahn muffler

Quick Reply: Exhaust Opinions?