General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

The FWD Debate.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The FWD Debate.

Hey everyone. I have a 08 Pontiac G5, love it, and i am in love with the 08+ balt ss'. I LOVE the look, i like the engine, weight, ect. BUT, Its fwd. I am constantly being harassed by co-workers that fwd is terrible, not a mans car. Thats the weight shift while accelerating pulls traction off the front wheels making RWD or AWD the better choice, not to mention torque steer... I have looked at the cobalt drivetrain conversions (GTOBALT) and it seems like it would cost to much and be too much work to be worth it. So im trying to gather opinions before deciding what to invest in and i thought this site would be a great place to start. So, does FWD kill the SS? Thanks everyone and have a great rest of the week!
Old 04-24-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
For a daily driver the cobalt SS with g85 package is an excellent option, and you will surprise a lot of people with how quick those cars are.

If FWD was really a killer you could look into the lnf solstice and sky, but the practicality of those cars are significant reduced lol
Old 04-24-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 132 Likes on 109 Posts
Alot of cobalt owners have traction issues. But they can be fixed. A good set of rotated tranny mounts and a solid engine mount will solve the wheel hop problem. And knowing how to launch your own car will take care of the wheel spin. So no i dont think FWD killed the SS. Would AWD have been nice? Sure, but we all make due with the fwd and have some nice kills to show for it
Old 04-24-2014, 11:00 AM

RWD and AWD guys will always say FWD sucks.

FWD isn't bad. Traction may be a pain sometimes and may not be ideal for drag racing, but the CSS handles amazing, is quick, and how often are you really going to be racing/flooring it from light to light?(not often i hope)
Old 04-24-2014, 11:03 AM

Well, as far as your co-workers it's obvious that are speaking out of ignorance and here is an example: Nordschleife lap records - FastestLaps.com

#109 Seat Leon Cupra 280 DSG FWD was a tick faster then a rear wheel drive Corvette C6 - and publicly humiliated every AWD (except GT-R & Porsche). As far as what you invest in - that's subjective, what do you want, what can you afford, what are your end goals? If you want to be Mr. Drag Racer, then go with something rear wheel, you want something to daily drive on the twisties and from red light to red light? In the end only you can answer that.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:07 AM

Say but you want about fwd but this list never ceases to amaze me, really tells what these cars can do

List of cars slower that the SS turbo from Car and Driver's lightning lap

Mitsubishi Lancer EVO MR
Lexus IS-F
Audi S5
Honda S2000 CR
Dodge Challenger SRT-8
Lotus Elise SC
Subaru Impreza WRX STI
Dodge Caliber SRT-4
Volkswagen R32
Honda Civic Mugen Si'
Old 04-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
^and that was with a BONE STOCK cobalt

the fwd is really not a huge problem, especially considering how light the car is being fwd. stiffer rear springs help keep the weight transfer to a minimum, sticky tires, not to mention the launch control. torque steer is not a big deal with these cars either. totally worth it being fwd
Old 04-24-2014, 01:44 PM

I know why people don't like fwd but I could never bring myself to care what others think about that. Its a cheap, fun car. I say get the car and show them up!
Old 04-24-2014, 03:33 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I HAD a RWD car for a while, it was amusing here and there getting it a bit tail happy, but you really had to push it... and then you worry after about your expensive tires :P

The cobalt SS is by far faster than my ATS was and unless you're seriously pushing it to the breaking point I dont notice much of a handling difference, obviously a little but nothing to write home about.

I have no gripe with FWD, it works just fine especially for an every day car...hell I'd put money on it my T/C would lap MossPort faster than my ATS anyways lol
Old 04-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

the cornering traction on these cars is incredible especially with a rear sway bar. just stay off the gas for most of the corner and boom good to turn
Old 04-24-2014, 09:19 PM
Where's The Cruze SS?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What do these co-workers of yours drive?
Old 04-24-2014, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by bmartz1991
Probably Honda civics... lol just Joking
Old 04-24-2014, 10:45 PM
Where's The Cruze SS?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
They probably do lol
Old 04-25-2014, 08:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 68Vette
Well, as far as your co-workers it's obvious that are speaking out of ignorance and here is an example: Nordschleife lap records - FastestLaps.com

#109 Seat Leon Cupra 280 DSG FWD was a tick faster then a rear wheel drive Corvette C6 - and publicly humiliated every AWD (except GT-R & Porsche). As far as what you invest in - that's subjective, what do you want, what can you afford, what are your end goals? If you want to be Mr. Drag Racer, then go with something rear wheel, you want something to daily drive on the twisties and from red light to red light? In the end only you can answer that.
OP: print this post and take it to work.. haha
Old 04-25-2014, 08:49 AM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
If you're worried about being manly get a V8 pickup truck and schedule some therapy.
If you want a fun car that is inexpensive to buy, maintain and modify, get a Cobalt SS/TC.
They can be made wicked fast with limited funds. And then you can humiliate your coworkers in one of their cars from the list above and call them slow little girls.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Especially their camaros and mustangs provided they arent modded much
Old 04-28-2014, 10:43 AM

Wow, thanks for all the replys everyone!
Originally Posted by StevoElSupremo
I HAD a RWD car for a while, it was amusing here and there getting it a bit tail happy, but you really had to push it... and then you worry after about your expensive tires :P

The cobalt SS is by far faster than my ATS was and unless you're seriously pushing it to the breaking point I dont notice much of a handling difference, obviously a little but nothing to write home about.

I have no gripe with FWD, it works just fine especially for an every day car...hell I'd put money on it my T/C would lap MossPort faster than my ATS anyways lol
Whats the deal with Mossport? I live near and im curious to know what you have to do to race/take your car on the track. Is there a club or something?

Originally Posted by bmartz1991
Mostly trucks, which explains why FWD 4 bangers are "tampons on wheels" or "only for chicks."
Old 04-28-2014, 10:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to go against the masses here and say that I do in fact have a gripe with front wheel drive, but only when we're talking putting big numbers to the ground. The weight transfer and the limited space to run bigger tires in the front really limit how much power these cars can use effectively. That being said when I went out to buy my first car, (this one) I sought after front wheel drive because I knew that I would be using it every day and year round. So really it's good for what it is, but if you're trying to push big power through FWD, especially without drag tires (which you still can't really use on the street), you're just fighting physics. Though that being said, I still have mad respect for the guys continuing pushing these cars and getting good numbers out of them, I'm just not as tolerant to the elephant in the room. I do love this car though- it does everything right that it's supposed to do and does it well. Hence why the plan is to keep it and get a hold of a Supra RZ to put my 500-600 horsepower into that I wish I could in this car as effectively.

Just my .02
Old 04-28-2014, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by nobody2u
I have to go against the masses here and say that I do in fact have a gripe with front wheel drive, but only when we're talking putting big numbers to the ground. The weight transfer and the limited space to run bigger tires in the front really limit how much power these cars can use effectively. That being said when I went out to buy my first car, (this one) I sought after front wheel drive because I knew that I would be using it every day and year round. So really it's good for what it is, but if you're trying to push big power through FWD, especially without drag tires (which you still can't really use on the street), you're just fighting physics. Though that being said, I still have mad respect for the guys continuing pushing these cars and getting good numbers out of them, I'm just not as tolerant to the elephant in the room. I do love this car though- it does everything right that it's supposed to do and does it well. Hence why the plan is to keep it and get a hold of a Supra RZ to put my 500-600 horsepower into that I wish I could in this car as effectively.

Just my .02
hopefully nobody puts a chair on the hood did ya see that post going around facebook that happened in Halifax? haha

Last edited by Cobalt_Daddy; 04-28-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:38 PM

^^ Haha yeah I've been linked that picture a couple of times, never seen that Supra around Halifax before. Though, pretty sure I know who owns that RSX.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:02 PM

i'm pretty sure i've seen that supra before at a car show last year. not a fan of the little hood scoop ..
Old 04-28-2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy
i'm pretty sure i've seen that supra before at a car show last year. not a fan of the little hood scoop ..
Is it an RZ? (Turbo model) I can't spy an intercooler in the front.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by nobody2u
Is it an RZ? (Turbo model) I can't spy an intercooler in the front.
No i think it is an N/A auto like most of the supras imported from carsons.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jordansaucepan
Hey everyone. I have a 08 Pontiac G5, love it, and i am in love with the 08+ balt ss'. I LOVE the look, i like the engine, weight, ect. BUT, Its fwd. I am constantly being harassed by co-workers that fwd is terrible, not a mans car. Thats the weight shift while accelerating pulls traction off the front wheels making RWD or AWD the better choice, not to mention torque steer... I have looked at the cobalt drivetrain conversions (GTOBALT) and it seems like it would cost to much and be too much work to be worth it. So im trying to gather opinions before deciding what to invest in and i thought this site would be a great place to start. So, does FWD kill the SS? Thanks everyone and have a great rest of the week!
Well...............to put a defibrillator on a dead horse - Here is another pulse for the FWD debate:
Renault Reclaims Nürburgring Record with Mégane RS 275 Trophy-R [w/Video] - Carscoops
Old 06-16-2014, 06:30 PM

For how cheap and practical a cobalt is, it's a very fun car while still handling better than cars twice its price tag.

The seat and renault cars are pretty much full race cars, and much lighter than the tc. Give a tc some konis, and a rear sway bar and it would destroy that euro trash and still have ac.

a 600hp supra, couldn't even keep with a ss tc with a sway bar only in a canyon. So power isn't everything, unless all you do is cruise in a straight line.

Quick Reply: The FWD Debate.