General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Gann be doing my first oil change soon.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard that you have to get the entire engine flushed before you go sticking that syn in there. Did you do that??? Real and syn don't mix and you'll end up with all types of problems.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:04 AM

Yet another thread of completely useless internet jumble.

Switch to synthetic any time you want. It does not promote leaks, it does not prevent seals from becoming fully seated, it does not prevent an engine from breaking in properly. These are all myths people used to answer questions they had and didn't bother to search for the real answers.

Please do an internet search on "synthetic oil myths".
Old 12-10-2006, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aj_92rs
Yet another thread of completely useless internet jumble.
Awww, man, you're no fun. These oil-change threads are the best free entertainment out there! Look how many different opinions there are regarding the Oil Life Monitor, for example. Everyone has an opinion, but no two people agree. Its great fun!

Old 12-11-2006, 02:58 PM

Well, regular and synthetic really don't mix. They create a gum-like concauction(sp?). I'm sure that's no good when trying to lubricate your engine.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by TexasTieaga
Well, regular and synthetic really don't mix. They create a gum-like concauction(sp?). I'm sure that's no good when trying to lubricate your engine.
Synthetic oil is regular oil. It's base stock is petroleum based oil.

Do a search. Read up on it. You'll be surprised what you learn.

Besides, what do you think a synthetic blend is?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:44 PM

I don't want to learn about synthetic oil. I just listen to what veteran master technicians told me in my automotive technology class to become a technician myself and they say that synth and all natural DO NOT MIX. And they create a gum-like residue that WILL kill your engine before due time. Sometimes books don't ell you everything my friend and good knowledgeable advice from those with plenty first hand experience is the best. The guy built Outlaws from the ground up for christ's sake. I CHOSE to listen to what he had to say.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:06 PM

Are these the same guys who think leaving a car battery on a conrete floor causes it to drain faster? Or that losing backpressure in an exhaust system causes a loss in low-mid RPM torque?

Those guys are living in the 70's, back when synthetic oil became main-stream. There were compatiblity issues with conventional oil, but that's not true anymore. AAMOF, one thing I'll give dino-oil credit for is today's conventional oil is about as high in quality as synthetic oil of yester-year.

Just because something is repeated 1 million times by 10 million people doesn't make it true. Believe what you want, but I'll ask you again; Where do you think synthetic oil comes from? And what do you think a synthetic blend is? (Actually it's highly refined oil that isn't good enough to meet "synthetic" criteria, but that's beside the point.)
Old 12-13-2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by TexasTieaga
I don't want to learn about synthetic oil. I just listen to what veteran master technicians told me in my automotive technology class to become a technician myself and they say that synth and all natural DO NOT MIX. And they create a gum-like residue that WILL kill your engine before due time.
Is it possible he was talking about mixing Dexcool with regular green antifreeze?

The owners manual says its OK to use regular oil to top off the 2.0 engine if full synthetic isn't available.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by css9450
Is it possible he was talking about mixing Dexcool with regular green antifreeze?

The owners manual says its OK to use regular oil to top off the 2.0 engine if full synthetic isn't available.
It says to use regular? hmm

And NEVER EVER EVER mix in green **** with your antifreeze. First it voids your warranty and second it harms components in the engine. Seen it done several times over the past 3 months, not pretty. And theres a reason why GM uses DexCool and not green ****
Old 12-13-2006, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by rallyyellow06
It says to use regular? hmm
This is what it says, in the section about the 2.0 engine:

"Substitute Engine Oil: When adding oil to maintain engine oil level, oil meeting GM Standard GM4718M may not be available. You can add substitute oil designated SAE 5W30 with the starburst symbol at all temperatures. Substitute oil not meeting GM Standard GM4718M should not be used for an oil change."

If I'm reading that correctly, it means if you check your oil and its a quart low, its OK to add a quart of regular oil, available at gas stations everywhere, as long as its 5W30. Just don't use it for a full oil change.