General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20 is where im holding it sucks, i remember getting 30 when I got the car
Old 03-27-2007, 09:02 PM

i was 28mpg when i first got my car...now im 23mpg
Old 03-27-2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
is everyone not aware that the engines are broken in from the factory? the clutch is really the only thing that needs to be broken in.
Actually i dont think the pistons are. It takes about 1000 miles to seal those from wat iv read.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:15 PM

silver surfter, I agree your sig is huge. its a good looking car, It really is. I like it. but you've got to make it a little smaller man.

please and thank you. I'll shrink it for you if you'd like.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:56 PM

All engines go thru a rigorous test before they are dropped into the car of choice. Only motors that don't come "prebroken in" is the crate engines from Chevy. If the piston seals weren't sealed properly, don't you think you'd have oil blowing out the tailpipe?

Wow, my friend was right, Cobaltss.net seems to be the shortbus of forums.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:24 PM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by YellowG5
All engines go thru a rigorous test before they are dropped into the car of choice. Only motors that don't come "prebroken in" is the crate engines from Chevy. If the piston seals weren't sealed properly, don't you think you'd have oil blowing out the tailpipe?

I really bet he meant that it was a 1000 miles for the rings to seat not "seal". If you had any knowledge of engines you would know this and every thing stated in this post is plausible. I doubt that the engine is 100% "broken in" when you get it. If you believe that you are most likely the one that takes the short bus.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by RBC
I really bet he meant that it was a 1000 miles for the rings to seat not "seal". If you had any knowledge of engines you would know this and every thing stated in this post is plausible. I doubt that the engine is 100% "broken in" when you get it. If you believe that you are most likely the one that takes the short bus.

did I say they are broken in? No, said they went through a rigorous test. Meaning they are probably close to 90% broken in, instead of 0 when the crate engine gets to your front door.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:41 AM

do you rely on your friends for everything? I keep hearing about you having a friend that said...

this forum isn't filled with the brightest bunch, there are a lot of newbies asking questions, and a lot of people who think they know what they are talking about. But as a whole this isn't too bad, i've seen a lot worst. There is a lot of good information here to be had, despite a bit of misinformation thrown around to keep things interesting.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by denn454
do you rely on your friends for everything? I keep hearing about you having a friend that said...

this forum isn't filled with the brightest bunch, there are a lot of newbies asking questions, and a lot of people who think they know what they are talking about. But as a whole this isn't too bad, i've seen a lot worst. There is a lot of good information here to be had, despite a bit of misinformation thrown around to keep things interesting.
Not on everything, just the stuff that I don't really know about, then I research it, and find out if it is true or not, and I only listen to the friends that have been doing the stuff they do for a while now.

But I understand about the newbs, but still, Why can't they research something before saying something is THE WAY TO DO IT!??? I still feel strongly on the shifting, and the gas mileage...if you break it in smoothly, it won't work efficiently when it is broken in and driving hard. Had that actually happen to me in my first car, er truck.

Had to replace the engine, put a new rebuilt in, took it easy in break in for 1,000 miles (manual said to) finally put a grand on the odo, and went back to driving how I used to. My mileage went from 22 city when driving smooth during break in, to 12 with the way I drove. Which BTW, still to this day drive that way. Take off hard, get up to speed, and then cruise. I see no sense in taking a mile to get up to speed. Anyways, when I went back to driving the way I broke it in, my mileage went up but not completely, only to 18 city.

Second car was a BRAND NEW 2004 Pontiac Sunfire, with 3 miles on it. I drove that thing 65 miles home, and the whole way gunned it off the line, revved the **** out of it to 5,500 rpm, and cruised when I got to speed. And for a year straight, it got 29mpg in the city, and 45 on the highway. It was only rated at 24 and 32.

Third car was a truck, 2005 Colorado with 2 miles on it, Broke it in hard too, and was getting 20 city, was only expecting what the sticker said of 16.

So when I traded that truck in on my new little gem here. My 2007 G5, I flew out of the dealer's lot, got up to speed real quick, and gave it hell on break in. 3,000miles later and still getting 32 city and 40 highway. I was only rated at 25 and 32.

So do what you wish, say what you wish, I have the experience in breaking in a car, Four to be precise, most people my age haven't broken in one yet.

And I learned the hard way on my second vehicle that downshifting when coming to a stop is detrimental to the trans, cause I blew it apart. UNLESS it is done Correctly. Which in this area is IMPOSSIBLE...you have to be in a rural area where traffic is little to none to do it correctly or learn correctly. So hence me saying in the shifting thread I would rather see people put it in N and use the brakes, if your worried bout dust, get ceramic pads. I could care less how anyone drives, but I hate to see people die cause of the misunderstanding of proper shifting. Had three of my close friends from Highschool die. One two weeks after graduation, the other two a year and a half later. All three of them died in car accidents when some moron tried downshifting in front of them to come to a stop and came to a stop too soon and they had to dodge or hit...first one dodged ran into an Oak. Second one slammed into the back, lost control, hit a semi head on. Third ended up getting slammed by the truck behind them and sandwiched between the truck and the car.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by RBC
Yea i meant seat. I dont know much about cars but iv been readin up. ANY mechanic who knows anything will tell you that you need to seat the pistons right or they will be leaky.

Also you arent supposed to use synthetic oil for break in as its too slippery. On Royal Purple's site, they say not to use it for the first 2000 miles. It even says that on eBay!!! Our cars come with synthetic oil, right? So does GM know something we dont?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by PolishPauL
Yea i meant seat. I dont know much about cars but iv been readin up. ANY mechanic who knows anything will tell you that you need to seat the pistons right or they will be leaky.

Also you arent supposed to use synthetic oil for break in as its too slippery. On Royal Purple's site, they say not to use it for the first 2000 miles. It even says that on eBay!!! Our cars come with synthetic oil, right? So does GM know something we dont?
only the highperformance GM engines use synthetic, but the starting oil is a synthetic blend...not full
Old 03-28-2007, 01:12 PM
RBC

Back to the topic at hand. I bet the best way to improve your mpg on the SS/SC would be to get rid of that stupid ass wing. That is my next mod I believe
Old 03-28-2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
thank u non moderator
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/lounge-42/signature-rules-33290/
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/lounge-42/shrink-those-signature-files-31902/

they're not my rules
Old 03-28-2007, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
only the highperformance GM engines use synthetic, but the starting oil is a synthetic blend...not full
Appearantly the SS/SC is considered a "high performance" engine, cause mine came from the factory with full synthetic.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:32 PM

Well, it is a supercharged engine, under a lot of stress, so yeah, High performance. And yeah, it comes with synthetic, but I bet it isn't full synthetic, unless the break in those motors fully before sending them into the car.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:37 PM

Yellowg5, thanks for not getting defensive and starting a retarded internet fight. the beauty of owning your own car is you can do what you feel like with it, weather people agree with you or not. I'm sorry to hear about your friends and because of that I wouldn't expect you to change. I know people who refuse to wear seat belts because they know people who have died from wearing them. it doesn't mean everyone should stop wearing seat belts, and I would still encourage them to buckle up but I'm not going to push it and its absolutely understandable.

seriously, thanks for being a man about everything and turning into a little whinny girl. its appreciated by all!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by denn454
Yellowg5, thanks for not getting defensive and starting a retarded internet fight. the beauty of owning your own car is you can do what you feel like with it, weather people agree with you or not. I'm sorry to hear about your friends and because of that I wouldn't expect you to change. I know people who refuse to wear seat belts because they know people who have died from wearing them. it doesn't mean everyone should stop wearing seat belts, and I would still encourage them to buckle up but I'm not going to push it and its absolutely understandable.

seriously, thanks for being a man about everything and turning into a little whinny girl. its appreciated by all!
Its cool man. I kinda figured there is no point, I just wanted people to know why I felt strongly against it. Cause I got the feeling people were gonna hate me for it.

But wow, I love this car, I just wish the brakes were so touchy.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
try resetting your dic and see what you get. i stay around 28-29mpg usually.
28-29 here
Old 03-28-2007, 11:29 PM
RBC

The seating of the rings also on depends on what kind of rings you use with the aggressiveness of the sidewall prep on the inside of the engine. The more rough the surface is on the side wall in the engine the longer it takes the rings to seat. The "break in" that GM did was probably okey for the prep on the side wall and rings used. For those that don't know why you are not supposed to use synthetic oil it is to slick for the rings and sidewall. For them to seat properly there has to be some friction so the ring can file down the sidewall and create a seal so the oil can't pass by them. This is really the most simple way i can explain it without sounding like a total retard.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:20 AM

i drove my car easy for the first 1000 miles and i was getting 20 mpg. now i drive it hard and i'm getting around 27mpg. is that like not normal? did i luck out or something?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:35 PM

you lucked out I'm guessing, I drove mine hard off the lot, and my mileage is getting better still...I'm getting a Flow Master 60series put on soon too. Already have a K & N drop in filter.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:01 AM

Maybe it will be more practical to say your average speed too!

I got 21 mpg for an average speed of 22 mph, must be normal I think...
Old 04-11-2007, 01:50 AM

i reset my DIC everytime i get gas. i usually drive about the same too. around 21-23mpg.
the last time i got gas though it was only like 20.

makes sense though...cuz i pay ******* 2.87$ for 87
Old 04-11-2007, 08:52 AM

yup i do the same...

i reset my Econ. reading after i get gas...
Old 04-11-2007, 01:20 PM

i get 9.2L-100KM which worked out is 26MPG for city driving, which isn't to bad since i have a nasty habit of speeding far to much :p lol

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage