General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Go stage 2 or go home

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i bought stage 1 a smaller belt and 2.8 pulley installed it my self took to my dealer i talked to the tech and told him what i did and when they reflashed he said he hooked me up with a more appropriate tune. we put it on the wide band and at wide open throttle and almost 7000 rpm my a/f was running between 10.9 -11.2 so im pretty safe. and car kicks ass already had a neon srt4 mess with me he did get to see my tailights though lol i love it
Old 02-09-2008, 01:56 PM

2.35"??? hmm... at least you know if you need any welding done you can just put the metal in front of your Heaton
Old 02-09-2008, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ill give you my twist on it. because its what I went through.
when i bought this car I was pretty green to modifying, and went with S2 because i loved the idea of the substantial HP boost under warranty.

notice how many new people always ask about warranty? its important to you when you dont know alot.

then as time goes on, you read, absorb, learn....you start to see that warranty isnt the cuddly blanket you thought it was....and you see that if the **** hits the fan, you can always drop back to S2 and take it in anyway....so your conceptions change.

some people are honestly happy with S2 and never go past.....
but alot progress to bigger and better things as their knowledge increases.

Its not that they dont know 2.7+60+hpt is cheaper and better, its just that your knowledge at the time is not good enough to go there.

just what ive seen from my personal experience.
so please dont knock people buying stage 2. just let people learn.

Look at me

just give people time to learn and mod at their own pace.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:04 PM

So what you guys are all saying is stay clear of the GM Stage II if your not worried about warrenty?? What about the RAW Stage I..... whats your opinion on that?

The reason I ask is I have no warrenty and was thinking about going with RAW Stage I. But if I can get the same result for less cash by taking a different path then I'm game for that. What exactly would I need??
Old 02-09-2008, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if your not buying a GM kit, dont buy ANYONES kit.

buy your own parts, and have it tuned properly, locally, for your own car.

canned tunes suck bad.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:16 PM

Hummmm.... glad I seen this thread before I bought the RAW Stage I. What kind of a price tag would I be looking at for a kit and what exactly would I need? I wouldn't want to go below a 3" pully, I read somewhere in here that its not a good idea to go blow 3" because is reduces the life of the supercharger.

Oh... I am one of those people who is green to modifying.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

my buddy that works on my car is pretty knowledgeable about this stuff. i asked for a moderate mod build for my car and this is what i ended up with. 2.8, 60#ers and a tune. i could go smaller but he doesnt recommend that unless i get a wideband and cooling mods. as a matter of fact he is not too happy about not having a wideband with the 2.8
Old 02-09-2008, 03:12 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Good to hear about the gains.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by an0malous
ill give you my twist on it. because its what I went through.
when i bought this car I was pretty green to modifying, and went with S2 because i loved the idea of the substantial HP boost under warranty.

notice how many new people always ask about warranty? its important to you when you dont know alot.

then as time goes on, you read, absorb, learn....you start to see that warranty isnt the cuddly blanket you thought it was....and you see that if the **** hits the fan, you can always drop back to S2 and take it in anyway....so your conceptions change.

Its not that they dont know 2.7+60+hpt is cheaper and better, its just that your knowledge at the time is not good enough to go there.

Look at me

thats what happend to me, but i knew that the the 2.7 +60 + tune was cheaper than gm stage 2
but i chose gm stage 2 for 2 resons
1. no one here at PR knows almost anything about this cars (90% of the cars here are imports)
2. i got the gm stage 2 very cheap and a friend of mine work at a gm dealer and install it very cheap too

but i really want the 60inj, meth and a very good tune
but thats very hard here!
Old 02-09-2008, 04:41 PM

I am going to laugh when yalls 2.8 that arent stage 2 messes up, then its not covered by GM, good luck paying for that
Old 02-09-2008, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt SS1
I am going to laugh when yalls 2.8 that arent stage 2 messes up, then its not covered by GM, good luck paying for that
I'm going to laugh because you only have 35 posts and are talking to people with thousands
Old 02-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

you will? but that will hurt my feelings!
Old 02-09-2008, 06:26 PM

I was gonna do stage computers on my car when i first got it but the only benefit I found from it was retaining my warranty and that was if i allowed them to install it.... so after going to local dealers and finding out they wouldnt cover the car if i installed the parts and had them reflash the computer.... So finding out stage 2 for my car was 650 and it would cost another 400-500 for them to install it i said screw the warranty cause most people seem to have issues with getting things covered with the powertrain. so i bought a pulley, injectors, belt, injector harness, hptuners, and wideband.... still came out ahead and benefited more from doing my own setup with a 2.8 pulley.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Z Speed
I was gonna do stage computers on my car when i first got it but the only benefit I found from it was retaining my warranty and that was if i allowed them to install it.... so after going to local dealers and finding out they wouldnt cover the car if i installed the parts and had them reflash the computer.... So finding out stage 2 for my car was 650 and it would cost another 400-500 for them to install it i said screw the warranty cause most people seem to have issues with getting things covered with the powertrain. so i bought a pulley, injectors, belt, injector harness, hptuners, and wideband.... still came out ahead and benefited more from doing my own setup with a 2.8 pulley.
exactly, and in my case my buddy had hptuners already so i was able to spend 325 bucks and get a way faster car then a stage 2. and if my car breaks down i have that extra 800 bucks or so that i saved to go towards fixing it.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wait till you go in with your "warrantied" stage 2, and they say "the front tires are worn more than the back, you abused the car, no warrenty repair" you'll be more upset than the person that has a busted car, at least they knew what they were doing. they'll do anything to not work on your car.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
wait till you go in with your "warrantied" stage 2, and they say "the front tires are worn more than the back, you abused the car, no warrenty repair" you'll be more upset than the person that has a busted car, at least they knew what they were doing. they'll do anything to not work on your car.
so ******* true...
Old 02-09-2008, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous

Look at me

Absolutely! I agree.
I just got Stage II, and didn't get much seat time, but heck yes i noticed a difference. And i will be able to keep my warranty through my home dealer at least (small town ftw!)
I did get a deal on my ST II, and install was only $200, so i was happy, and only paid $750 total. It works for me since a lot of my money will be going into a new vehicle soon.

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
Five words, but i'm not intending them to be mean here:
Rotate your tires. A lot!
Old 02-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
i bypassed stage 2 and just went straight to 2.8, 60's and a tune. about $300 cheaper
i did gm stage 2 because i do not want to void warrenty.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:04 PM

i dont know.. i know the custom upgrade is better and if i wasnt worried abot warranty id definately do it but i dont wanna get fucked if anything would happen. it just depends on much u really want that extra power i geuss s2 is enough for me though.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:09 AM

and to you who said I have 35..yeah I just joined this site bud. k thanks
Old 02-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

It all depends on the dealer , mine is great . I could have rubber stuck to the front wheel well's and they would still warranty my stage 2 car. When i went stage 2 a year and a half ago alot of people were blowing **** up with bad tunes from non GM stage kit's .
Old 02-10-2008, 10:28 AM

and to you who said I have 35..yeah I just joined this site bud. k thanks
Thank's for helping me with my point

Old 02-10-2008, 10:32 AM

i had my 2.5 pulley on after 400 miles on the car, never had a problem in two years, and my car is warrantied also.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by rukkee
It all depends on the dealer , mine is great . I could have rubber stuck to the front wheel well's and they would still warranty my stage 2 car. When i went stage 2 a year and a half ago alot of people were blowing **** up with bad tunes from non GM stage kit's .
this is what it all comes down to, the dealership honoring the warranties or not.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by ss sleeper
tell me how that 2.9 turns out. and how much differance
Works awesome, love it and couldnt be happier with it. Definitely feel a difference, boost gauge reads 17psi and the supercharger whines loud as hell.

Quick Reply: Go stage 2 or go home