General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Halfcent and Hahn; good meeting today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Halfcent and Hahn; good meeting today.

After the completion of my engine work I have been paranoid about some sounds coming from my engine that weren't there before. I had commented that it sounded like a diesel to a couple of my friends. So I got in touch with Bill Hahn and asked him if I could have him listen to it. Here's how our conversation went.

We talked about a lot of stuff. Starting with the engine noise, I told him how its louder when the engine is cold. He said to me "sounds like a diesel, right?". Well that was a good start. I learned the additional noise is a result of the Wiseco reduced compression pistons. There where two reasons. The stock piston being cast has less thermal expansion then a forged piston. Hence, the Wiseco piston is actually a few thousands smaller then a stock piston to allow for the expansion. So when its cold, its noisy. Then, the concave dish shape of the top of the piston, combined with the reduced compression, creates a significantly different sound of combustion then the stock set up does.

So, I feel much better now, because I know I wasn't just hearing things, I know what it is that I'm hearing now, and I know its all OK.

Then we talked about turbo charging this baby. While I have been set back significantly by having to rebuild my engine, it looks like it won't be a terrible set back to the project. Hahn still isn't ready to put a kit on the L61 yet. They have not been able to get the electronics ends taken care of.

It's like this. Hahn uses an outside source to provide him with all of his PCM/ECU programming. That source has been focused on other engines at the moment. Namely, the LSJ, and the Soltice. They are supposedly starting to work on the L61 right now. I learned that the Soltice kit is done! That are going to market with that kit as we speak. I learned that the LSJ kit is a couple weeks out. The L61 will follow, but there is no time table for it. I can almost gaurentee you that the Garrett kit is experiencing the same problem, nobody is making any controllers for the stuff yet.

I learned that the L61 actually uses two separate computers to control the powertrain. There is a PCM (powertrain control module) that takes care of the transmission, and an ECU (engine control unit) that controls the fuel and ignition. They need to crack the ECU program before they can get anything else done. They have all the hard parts done and ready to go, they just need the software.

I spoke with him about some other small stuff too, the JIN car (which is very similar to mine except it is a manual), drag tires and slicks, his work with Bob Mull. And then I let him know about how we here at CobaltSS like to get together every now and then.

I mentioned how we will more then likely have a meet sometime in May and asked if he would be interested in attending. He was thrilled with the idea. He offered to bring out their Sunfire (the car on the Hahn website), the Jin car (Tuner Transformation Cobalt) or whatever else he could.

So, Nightmare and Wikky, heres what I think you boys could do. Put together the next meet in the Aurora area. Talk with a place ahead of time that will allow us to use some parking spots without worrying that we are going to start a brawl. Make it an afternoon start time where we will have at least a few hours of daylight so people can actually get some pictures and spend a little time checking out the Hahn Hardware. Once you have a hard date set, get in touch with me and I will call Bill and invite him. Hope that helps.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Halfcent
After the completion of my engine work I have been paranoid about some sounds coming from my engine that weren't there before. I had commented that it sounded like a diesel to a couple of my friends. So I got in touch with Bill Hahn and asked him if I could have him listen to it. Here's how our conversation went.

We talked about a lot of stuff. Starting with the engine noise, I told him how its louder when the engine is cold. He said to me "sounds like a diesel, right?". Well that was a good start. I learned the additional noise is a result of the Wiseco reduced compression pistons. There where two reasons. The stock piston being cast has less thermal expansion then a forged piston. Hence, the Wiseco piston is actually a few thousands smaller then a stock piston to allow for the expansion. So when its cold, its noisy. Then, the concave dish shape of the top of the piston, combined with the reduced compression, creates a significantly different sound of combustion then the stock set up does.

So, I feel much better now, because I know I wasn't just hearing things, I know what it is that I'm hearing now, and I know its all OK.

Then we talked about turbo charging this baby. While I have been set back significantly by having to rebuild my engine, it looks like it won't be a terrible set back to the project. Hahn still isn't ready to put a kit on the L61 yet. They have not been able to get the electronics ends taken care of.

It's like this. Hahn uses an outside source to provide him with all of his PCM/ECU programming. That source has been focused on other engines at the moment. Namely, the LSJ, and the Soltice. They are supposedly starting to work on the L61 right now. I learned that the Soltice kit is done! That are going to market with that kit as we speak. I learned that the LSJ kit is a couple weeks out. The L61 will follow, but there is no time table for it. I can almost gaurentee you that the Garrett kit is experiencing the same problem, nobody is making any controllers for the stuff yet.

I learned that the L61 actually uses two separate computers to control the powertrain. There is a PCM (powertrain control module) that takes care of the transmission, and an ECU (engine control unit) that controls the fuel and ignition. They need to crack the ECU program before they can get anything else done. They have all the hard parts done and ready to go, they just need the software.

I spoke with him about some other small stuff too, the JIN car (which is very similar to mine except it is a manual), drag tires and slicks, his work with Bob Mull. And then I let him know about how we here at CobaltSS like to get together every now and then.

I mentioned how we will more then likely have a meet sometime in May and asked if he would be interested in attending. He was thrilled with the idea. He offered to bring out their Sunfire (the car on the Hahn website), the Jin car (Tuner Transformation Cobalt) or whatever else he could.

So, Nightmare and Wikky, heres what I think you boys could do. Put together the next meet in the Aurora area. Talk with a place ahead of time that will allow us to use some parking spots without worrying that we are going to start a brawl. Make it an afternoon start time where we will have at least a few hours of daylight so people can actually get some pictures and spend a little time checking out the Hahn Hardware. Once you have a hard date set, get in touch with me and I will call Bill and invite him. Hope that helps.
I'd drive to Chicago for that
Old 03-21-2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by sneaky
I'd drive to Chicago for that

Agreed.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:50 PM

Me to
Old 03-21-2006, 10:14 PM

sounds good man....that would be nice to talk with him he would be able to help me with my project alot! isnt hahn in yorkville? why cant we meet there? or plainfield has a TON of places to meet on rt 59 there, thats pretty close to me and yorkville.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I suggest Aurora only because it has easy interstate access, tons of places to gather in the open with an equal number of places to eat, and it isn't as far as away as Yorkville to the central suburban area of Chicagoland. Plus its an easy drive for Hahn. You are welcome to arrange it however you please, I'm just the facilitator.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:24 AM

Hmmmm, Let me call on a few places. I know that The Hooters out there usually allows for car meets etc. I'll have to check on a few other places tomorrow maybe. Wikky, in the mean time PM me your number (Cell) as well as yourself Geoff. And I'l try an make the date on a dry night !

-Erik-
Old 03-22-2006, 10:08 AM

sounds good guys i cant wait to see some turbo cobalts out there
Old 03-22-2006, 02:13 PM

cant wait for this meet and some cool photos.