General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

hello all

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello all

Hi there newbie here to the site. I am about to purchase a new 07 silver coblat SS supercharged. Im going to get the limited slip option, cd player, no wing, red inserts, moon roof.

I have some simplt questions for everyone here. And yes, i did search but didnt find ALL of my answers and or un-clear answers.

1. What should a good out the door price be for this car with the options i listed ? I have heard of people on here getting as low as 18-19 ? is this true ?

2. I thinking of getting the injen/aem intake for it upon purchase, should i wait to break it in beofre install. Also is there a big prob with the 07's throwing CEL's ? Does one intake help produce a louder charger whine then the other ?

3. Im also thing about getting either the stage 1 or 2 upon purchase as well, should i wait to break it in before they install ? allso, how much power will the stock clutch, drive train, axles, cv's hold ? would it be a better option to get the stage 1 so it doesnt burn up other no so worthy parts ? Or is the stage 2 ok on the these oem parts ?

Any help would be nice guys, thanx ahead of time !
Old 04-04-2007, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by XVX
Hi there newbie here to the site. I am about to purchase a new 07 silver coblat SS supercharged. Im going to get the limited slip option, cd player, no wing, red inserts, moon roof.

I have some simplt questions for everyone here. And yes, i did search but didnt find ALL of my answers and or un-clear answers.

1. What should a good out the door price be for this car with the options i listed ? I have heard of people on here getting as low as 18-19 ? is this true ?

2. I thinking of getting the injen/aem intake for it upon purchase, should i wait to break it in beofre install. Also is there a big prob with the 07's throwing CEL's ? Does one intake help produce a louder charger whine then the other ?

3. Im also thing about getting either the stage 1 or 2 upon purchase as well, should i wait to break it in before they install ? allso, how much power will the stock clutch, drive train, axles, cv's hold ? would it be a better option to get the stage 1 so it doesnt burn up other no so worthy parts ? Or is the stage 2 ok on the these oem parts ?

Any help would be nice guys, thanx ahead of time !

First and foremost, Welcome..

As far as the price goes, it will all depend on your area. Cost of living maybe cheaper in some areas then others, hopefully someone from your area will post up to help. I would think brand new, closer to 21ish though.

Now, I have an 07 with the Injen CAI and have had no problems. Just make sure you unhook the battery before disconnecting anything. That will eliminate the CEL troubles. As far as break-in goes, that will all vary on who you talk to as well. Some believe that you should break her in the way that you plan to drive her, others will say that you should be easy for the first 500-2500 miles. Mine was beat on by GM for her first 630 miles with STG2 through NOPI Ride and Drives, and shes still running like a raped ape.

Now, just as long as you know how to drive stick fairly well, you should be ok with the clutch. Our clutches are meant to be used pretty hard, not beat on, but not babied either. They usually burn out easy from people riding on em too much. The axles are one of the largest problem areas but as long as you're not dropping the clutch and causein massive wheel hop then you should be ok. Other then that, enjoy, and happy modding. Keep us posted man.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:18 AM

Very nice decision man..im new here also...those cobalts are beasts...about the instant mods i would want to break in the engine first...but thats jus me man..hope ya get it
Old 04-04-2007, 08:08 AM

Break it in how you are going to drive it!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There will be no break-in issues with the upgrades you are describing. In fact, you could have the dealership you are buying the car from install the GM stage 2 before you even take delievery of the car if you want.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by XVX
I am about to purchase a new 07 silver coblat SS supercharged.
Dude those coblats are CRAZY fast, you're gonna get dead quick in one.
JK Have fun with the whip man, it will take no time at all to look for the stupidest of reasons to go for drives!
Old 04-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome and have fun!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:22 PM

cool guys thanx for all the help.

I think im going to go with the aem intake. Its sounds nice fromt he vids i have seen. Sounds just as loud as the other i have injen etc. Plus i know aem makes a nice solid product ( at least they did, i havent bought one in years ) They seem to have nice fitment and a dry filter to help with no CEL's. And they have the buypass feater to help prevent hydro lock from huge puddles. But is that reall needed ?

So now i ask what should i get stage 1 or 2 ? Is there a BIG differnece in the stage 2 form the 1 ? If so then ill definitly get it.

How are these cars int he winter ? I plan on driving mine in the winter. Lucky we have REALLY short winters here in kc mo. Mostly ice. VERY little snow, and only for like 2 months. I plan on putting the stock intake back on for the winter. I think thats a good idea.

I also heard these cars are VERD under rated. I heard that hp is more like 220-225 then the 205 the factory rates it at. Is that true. If so what you be a guess at what i wold be pushing for hp with the stage 2 and the intake ?

Any idea of 1/4 mile time with times ? What kills can i get lol....

thanx again guys look forward to getting the car.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:25 PM

Well put it this way. You will get more power with the S1, then you'll think well WHAT IF I got the S2? "this" will lead to "that" so save yourself money, downtime, and (possible) headaches. Go BIG or go home.

Winter driving, literally EVERYBODY has a different experience, I, for one, got stuck going down hill. First I slide, then when I finally stopped, I couldn't get going again, going DOWN hill. So if you don't want to put your winter driving skills to a serious test, get a 16" steelie/snow tire combo from Tirerack.com for ~$550 shipped, and the tires come already mounted/balanced! These cars are TANKS in the snow, with the proper equipment.

They are under rated for a few reasons, insurance being one, and for rep. on the streets. I (believe) GM posts WHP, compared to most others that post crank HP. So when you hear the SS/SC advertised with 205hp/200tq, thats to the ground, and even THAT is under rated, to a point. But when you hear about the new SI civic, rated at 197hp (no tq is advertised for a reason ) its (i have no idea but) about 160-170 to the wheels.

1/4 mile times are totally under your control. 60' are totally our weak spot stock with a bitch of wheel hop and 1st gear being a joke. But 2nd-5th gear (aka about 50-150mph) are screamers, even stock, and start swapping smaller pulleys/tune/exhaust, etc, and you will have a smile bigger than Mr. Grinch's.

Have fun, and welcome!
Old 04-04-2007, 06:59 PM

where is good place to get rims for these cars? Ive checked the normal places like rims next and such. There good places to get cheap, good looking rims with tires... but not alot fo options for our cars.... and place anyone here know of that has some nice rims. Im looking for black rims. or silver. any help ?

Thanx again everyone for your help. I cant wait to get this car. Its definitly a fun drive. On the test drive i got on it a bit, and man its a fun car. Pretty snappy too for stock. I cant imagine what its like with a stage 2 ! lol
Old 04-04-2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by XVX
where is good place to get rims for these cars? Ive checked the normal places like rims next and such. There good places to get cheap, good looking rims with tires... but not alot fo options for our cars.... and place anyone here know of that has some nice rims. Im looking for black rims. or silver. any help ?

Thanx again everyone for your help. I cant wait to get this car. Its definitly a fun drive. On the test drive i got on it a bit, and man its a fun car. Pretty snappy too for stock. I cant imagine what its like with a stage 2 ! lol
eBay stores: Nate's Wheels ,and also, Got Wheels and Tires. Two awesome stores on eBay. All new stuff, mounted, balanced, locking lugs. GREAT PRICES!

Good luck!