General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Horrible resale value

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think these cars are going to hold value MUCH better than edmunds calculates ... it's limited production and it's barely goin on one full year in production ... so they don't know **** about how the car will hold up in value ... I did the estimate and it said the private party was 17k? I don't care who you are, if I was selling be ready to pay nearly full price most likely 20k ... don't like it find a new one if you can.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by OniMirage
i think these cars are going to hold value MUCH better than edmunds calculates ... it's limited production and it's barely goin on one full year in production ... so they don't know **** about how the car will hold up in value ... I did the estimate and it said the private party was 17k? I don't care who you are, if I was selling be ready to pay nearly full price most likely 20k ... don't like it find a new one if you can.
I'd have to sell mine for 23k right now lol
Old 12-15-2005, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by JonyyB
This is why I never buy a new car and I am still waiting for the perfect used SS
This why I am waiting for the perfect wife.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Drain plug
This why I am waiting for the perfect wife.

The perfect USED wife?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by OniMirage
No one is going to pay nearly full price for a used cobalt, you'd *never* sell one for that much cash, someone would have to be totally retarded to pay almost full price for a *used* car. They'd be better off buying a new car.

Most domestics don't hold resale, this is a known fact, 5 mins of research would have revealed this.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Spoony
No one is going to pay nearly full price for a used cobalt, you'd *never* sell one for that much cash, someone would have to be totally retarded to pay almost full price for a *used* car. They'd be better off buying a new car.

Most domestics don't hold resale, this is a known fact, 5 mins of research would have revealed this.

Dude, Not cool. Way to beat a guy while he's down.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:00 AM

same thing goes for all cars....domestic cars are always worse. Dont buy american if you plan on trading it within a few years. Ive traded my share and took some ugly hits just cuz i got tired of a vehicle but the only way a car is ever worth its price is if you buy it and pay it off and then drive it into the ground.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Malaclypse
You'll be waiting awhile... Just like the majority of F-bodies on the road, most SSes will get ragged out and abused while a handful are well kept.
That goes for the old Cavalier Z24's from 1988-1990... they are in demand here! You can't touch a ratted-out beat-to-**** coupe for any less than $3500 and these cars have well over 100,000 miles! The 1991-1994 models aren't as in demand, you see those pretty pounded.
You can't find Camaro's or Firebirds, either... it's weird like that.
Berettas? Well, they just about give Berettas away.

The ugly truth about buying a new car is that you are going to get fucked no matter how you slice it. If I was worrying about trade in, I would've bought a fully-loaded LS or SS, damn the monthly payments! Instead, I bought what I could afford. I'm stuck with it for the foreseeable future... although I am going to try and trade this spring for an SS/SC

Scott
Old 12-16-2005, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Spoony

A lot of people would be happy to only pay libility on a gently used car, for almost the same price as a new one. i've seen a couple used sssc for sale here, going for around 19500 with 5k miles. I dont know about others, but my insurance company requires more than libility for new cars. that extra money adds up...
Old 12-16-2005, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by DJNateGnau
Dude, Not cool. Way to beat a guy while he's down.
What are you talking about, the guy I was quoting wasn't the original poster. PhxSS was the original poster and I'd never kick a man while he was down, I hope he finds a way to keep the car, divorce sucks enough all on it's own.

Originally Posted by stlurbanpunk
A lot of people would be happy to only pay libility on a gently used car, for almost the same price as a new one. i've seen a couple used sssc for sale here, going for around 19500 with 5k miles. I dont know about others, but my insurance company requires more than libility for new cars. that extra money adds up...
Insurance companies are not the ones that require more than liability, the loan holders are (the bank). You can't finance a car without full insurance on it...If you had enough cash to drop on a car without having to go to a bank, you could go around with just Liability on it, but honestly, driving around in a car worth 20k or more without insurance is just asking for trouble.

Originally Posted by 02blazerx
same thing goes for all cars....domestic cars are always worse. Dont buy american if you plan on trading it within a few years. Ive traded my share and took some ugly hits just cuz i got tired of a vehicle but the only way a car is ever worth its price is if you buy it and pay it off and then drive it into the ground.
If I were you I'd wait just a bit longer and see if some lease buybacks appear on dealer lots, buying new cars is nice what with you being the only owner and all...but if you can find a used S/C in good condition you'll save quite a bit of cash. I just can't see the reasoning behind buying a new car knowing it's going to depreciate ~10k in the first year. There are used SRT-4's starting to show up around here now for 17k-ish (Canadian funds), these cars went for 28k-ish new, you can pretty much expect the same deal with cobalts.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:44 AM

this is why i leased my car. having a base cobalt, the value isnt high to begin with, so the resale would have been crap. and for those who think leasing is for people who dont drive a lot, they have an option if you want to drive 12,000 or 15,000 per year. just sign up for a 3 year lease (45,000 total miles) and do the "early lease pull-ahead" program 2 years in. or, you can add miles at the beginning of the lease for way less then paying overage charges at the end. well, im just happy that i dont have to worry about selling my car after 2-3 years is up.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:25 AM
Premium Member

I wouldn't worry about it after seeing what alot of these cars are actually being sold for used:

Car 1
Car 2
Car 3

As long as your car is in excellent shape, I would think you could maybe get at least $20k for it. This car is still difficult to find and someone, somewhere, will be desperate enough. I certainly hope no one is desperate (or crazy) enough to pay $29k for a used SS/SC like the one car above, though.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:01 PM

2.0 SS' are common here at dealer lots, unfortunately. So I don't think I'll have any hope of selling mine for what some of them are going for in autotrader. I know domestics are horrible in resale, but I didn't know it was THIS BAD!
Old 12-17-2005, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by stlurbanpunk
I just **** myself....
that yellow one is rediculusly priced!
Old 12-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Banned

I belive the proper term is "shat myself "
Old 12-17-2005, 11:34 AM
tio

Originally Posted by phxSS
I just appraised my car, and it ain't worth **** Even the 2.0 SS with OnStar, mooroof, side airbags, etc is still junk! check it out..

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/che...n.1.Chevrolet*

The reason why i did this is because I smell divorce soon, and I wanna get rid of my car. I was highly disappointed
Sounds to me like you have negative equity in your car and loan. In the case of a divorce, (with regards to asset splitting) negative equity in a car that you like is good. For example, if you have 5k negative equity, both partners are on the hook for 2.5k. I really hope the two of you work it out but if that is not possible.....spend some money and talk to a really good lawyer. Back on topic, all cars, domestic or import take a **** kicking in the first year for resale. It has been my experience that the sweet spot for flipping a car is between 26-34 months.