General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

How mad would you be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How mad would you be?

Well, I took a trip back to Ottawa to visit some friends for the weekend. On the way back I was cruising on the 401 and decided to pull into one of the pit stops to take a leak and grab a Tim Horton's coffee. As I pull into the parking lot I notice a nice clean white Cobalt SS 2.4. It was my first look in person at a SS 2.4 and it looked really good in white. Again, made me upset that the SS/SC was not available in white.

Anyways as I was coming out of Timmy's a young guy (16-18) and his girlfriend come up and ask me if the black Cobalt was mine. I say yes, and compliment him on his and say that white looks really good. Then he asks me where I got the spoiler and ground effects kit. Me being completely stock tell him that is the way it comes from the factory. He insists that I am wrong and seems to get a little upset that I won't tell him. I ask why he thinks that. He then tells me that his is a SS/SC as well and that the way his looks is the way it comes from the factory. I politely disagree and tell him he doesn't have the 2.0L w/SC and that he has the 2.4L w/o SC. At this point he gives me a 'look' like I don't know what I am talking about.

Again, not looking to argue I tell him he should bring his ride over to mine (other side of lot) and I can show him the difference. After he drives over I show him the exterior differences (white color being the most obvious since it is not available on SS/SC, ground effects, spoiler, 18's, SC badges); interior differences (leather seats, boost gauge, auto!) and finally pop hoods with him and show him the supercharger. At this point he yells "F@$k!!". He then tells me that the dealership he bought his from (2 weeks ago) told him that it was the top of the line Cobalt with the Supercharger. He said he paid 25k for his, I said same here. I tell him if he actually did purchase the SS/SC he should complain.

After calming down he says "Oh well, being a 2.4L compared to 2.0L I will still whoop your ass." Again, I politely disagree, compliment him on his ride, wish him the best, and say I gotta run and hop back on the highway. So about 5mins later I'm cruising around 115km/h when I see in my rearview the dude with SS 2.4 come riding up in the fast lane. He slows down beside me and rolls down the passenger window and asks me to run. With no traffic around (was about 8:30am) I agree. We slow down to around 90-95km/h, he jumps it before I do, but before long I had around 4-5 car lengths on him before shutting down around 175km/h. He catches back up to me and punches it beside me at 120km/h and gets a car on me before I floor it in 5th and catch up and pass him and shut down again. He stayed behind me the rest of the way until I took my exit.

So that being said, are people that stupid to not even look at the brochure or do any research of what you are supposed to get and what you actually drive off the lot with? And if this guy's story with the dealership is true how pissed would you be to have been scammed like that? Sorry for the long read.

P.S. I am not flaming the 2.4SS in anyway. I genuinely complimented him on his 2.4SS and do not want to start any flaming/wars between SS/SC owners and 2.4SS owners. We are all part of the Cobalt family! Cheers!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:25 AM

I wouldn't be pissed, but I would definatly go get the 0 mile 2.0 SS that I ordered.
Though it might help if you act it at the dealership.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:26 AM

Pretty ridiculous on the dealer's part, but honestly...if the guy was THAT stupid to not know the difference; he should've bought a kia rio Either way the situation blows pretty hard though...when my ss/sc finally came in (after 7 months damnit) i went to the dealer to pick it up...and outside there was a 2.4 sitting infront of the office. I was irrate til they wheeled my baby out from the back
Old 05-09-2006, 10:30 AM

Wow. He got schooled in a good way. You took the right approach, poor guy tho.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
come on, people cant be that dumb.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by SS_Canuck
Well, I took a trip back to Ottawa to visit some friends for the weekend. On the way back I was cruising on the 401 and decided to pull into one of the pit stops to take a leak and grab a Tim Horton's coffee. As I pull into the parking lot I notice a nice clean white Cobalt SS 2.4. It was my first look in person at a SS 2.4 and it looked really good in white. Again, made me upset that the SS/SC was not available in white.

Anyways as I was coming out of Timmy's a young guy (16-18) and his girlfriend come up and ask me if.....
And to think I was upset because my paint was not perfect... He got the wrong car.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:42 AM

Hehe , good for you for being the gentlemen of the 2!!! Ya sometimes you have to wonder why people just can't accept the fact they may be wrong sometimes.. And on the other point of dealerships!!! they have all one goal, to sell cars.. So ya do your homework and srew them over as much as possible,lol jk..
Old 05-09-2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by distillion
Yeah seriously, im sure he was just joking. As if a dealer would **** you like that. I mean yeah, they jip you, but this is insane..
Old 05-09-2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by distillion
I had always thought the same thing...before I met this guy.

Originally Posted by Dragon007
Hehe , good for you for being the gentlemen of the 2!!! Ya sometimes you have to wonder why people just can't accept the fact they may be wrong sometimes.. And on the other point of dealerships!!! they have all one goal, to sell cars.. So ya do your homework and srew them over as much as possible,lol jk..
Believe me, I was trying to be as polite as possible in proving him wrong. I told him about this site if he didn't believe me, but I doubt he will post up.

Originally Posted by BLKSS
Yeah seriously, im sure he was just joking. As if a dealer would **** you like that. I mean yeah, they jip you, but this is insane..
At first I was actually hoping he was just pulling my leg, but the more I talked to him the more I could actually see this happening to this guy.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I'd be pissed.... but I"m not stupid so I woulda checked first
Old 05-09-2006, 11:54 AM

You handled the situation very well, especially for not making him look like too much of a tool in front of his woman (which he is). Completely his fault for not doing his homework on what he was buying.

But yeah, not sure how it is in the States but in Canada a fully loaded 2.4L SS with leather, sunroof etc is about the same price as a 2.0L SS/SC.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:57 AM

I can see a young guy, going to the dealership cause he saw a ss in the lot. walked in said man i gotta have a cobalt ss. and got sold an ss thinking it was the ss/sc because he didnt know the difference. they just wanna sell cars.
or maybe he got caught in a lie with his girlfreind "yea baby I swear my ss is the real deal that must be a body kit".
Old 05-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Banned

I'm sure after you walked him by 4 or so cars he was telling his G/F that you probably got the supercharger at the same place you bought the ground effects kit.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:30 PM

Hard lesson learned that you should always do your research before buying. Hell if I hadn't the dealer tried to tell me that my '05 LS had 175hp...I stood there looking at him like he had **** on his face.

Good to see at least one of you knew how to handle the situation...I bet his dealership got an earful the next day though .
Old 05-09-2006, 12:32 PM

So a white SS in Ottawa huh? Il have to keep an eye out for this guy and possibly find out what dealership he went to. I would so stire up a storm on that dealership if I found out.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i bet he told his friends/girlfriend/whatever he had the SS/SC just to be cool... wouldn't surprise me from a young kid...
Old 05-09-2006, 12:38 PM

I'd be flaming mad. The snot from my nose would be flying out, ON FIRE.

I'd be, NATE-ZILLA.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:39 PM

rofl....the moral of this story is don't go into a dealer knowing nothing about the car you want. My salesman told me all kinds of outlandish BS that made me wonder if he actually knew anything about the car. The thought of that guy drivin around tellin everyone he's got a S/C Cobalt makes me lmao...why can't I meet people like this.

And yea...I'm pretty sure you can option a SS-non-SC up to the price of a SC here in Canada.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:39 PM

It would be funny if he stormed into the dealer saying someone with a real SC told him his wasn't and yelled and all that. Then the dealer told him the other dude was lieing and not to worry and he buys that. HAHA

I'm sure he will go online though and check it out the flip
Old 05-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Banned

I'm sure after you walked him by 4 or so cars he was telling his G/F that you probably got the supercharger at the same place you bought the ground effects kit.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:03 PM

So a white SS in Ottawa huh? Il have to keep an eye out for this guy and possibly find out what dealership he went to. I would so stire up a storm on that dealership if I found out.
I don't know if he was from Ottawa or not. I remember reading the dealer license plate frame and it was definately not purchased in the Ottawa/Hull area, but I can't remember the name. I met him on the 401 at one of the 'pit stops' with a Tim Horton's and a Wendy's. I believe he was from somewhere around the GTA. I took the exit to cross into the U.S. at 1000 Islands and he kept going.
Originally Posted by TXRLU
I almost wanted to play around with him a little bit and tell him it was a GM Prototype Supercharger and Ground Effects kit but I just didn't have it in me...
Old 05-09-2006, 01:14 PM

^^^^ Hahahaha yeah you should of! Probably could of picked up his girl!
Old 05-09-2006, 02:31 PM

^^^^ Hahahaha yeah you should of! Probably could of picked up his girl!
Her:16-18yrs old + Me:30yrs old =
Old 05-09-2006, 04:20 PM

Hi SS Canuck

I would be upset with myself if I bought something that expensive with zero knowledge.

Caveat Emptor

best regards -

mqqn
Old 05-10-2006, 12:32 AM

Wow what a tool.

Quick Reply: How mad would you be?