General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

How were you first exposed to the Cobalt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 PM
BCM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How were you first exposed to the Cobalt?

So like the title says, how did you first come across the Cobalt?

I was reading a March 2004 Car & Driver. There was a small article about how it was replacing the Cavalier, what engines, trims, etc. it will have..My thoughts were "Looks a million times better than the Cavalier." At this point I didn't want one just yet..

Fast forward to March 2005, at the OKC Auto Show. There was a Victory Red SS/SC w/ red inserts, sunroof, don't know about the other options..I looked it over, then I thought "wow this is a pretty nice car." Still didn't quite want one yet. Then I started seeing the Cobalt TV Commercials, then the car grew on me a little more.

About a few months after that, I was sitting in my room late at night, bored, then I remembered about the Cobalt SS I saw at the Auto Show a while back..So I started doing some "research" if you wanna call it that, looked at some more pics, looked at the pricing, specs, etc. Then I thought "Holy ****, this HAS to be my next car!"

I've wanted one ever since then. There's a possibility I'll be in one this year

Here's the article:
Old 02-05-2007, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw it in an autoshow here in miami fl. Then when I read the article I forgot in which magazine , it was a red SS.SC racing a Neon SRT. Man that article sold me!
Old 02-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Banned

i saw some dude running a 12.86 on intenses website and new the cars aftermarket would only grow so i was sold
Old 02-05-2007, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ljavy17
I saw it in an autoshow here in miami fl. Then when I read the article I forgot in which magazine , it was a red SS.SC racing a Neon SRT. Man that article sold me!
I first remeber seeing it in that commercial where the Cobalt and Corvette are playing with the giant bouncy ball
Old 02-05-2007, 11:15 PM

Well, I have always been a GM fan. Hell, I was born in a chevy! Growing up I watched Dale E. Sr. Drive his Goodrench number 3 for as long as I can remember. When the Cobalt SS/SC first came out in 2005 I seen it down the street sitting at the dealership. At the time I had a lil girl on the way and alot going on. At that point I could not afford one. Well 0% loans from GM came about on the 2006 model and I just could not resist. I can still remember sitting in the car admiring it. Very sharp looking vehicle. Now I have one and I would never go back.

Originally Posted by Ljavy17
Yea, I remember that! Awesome article. Also, thanks to researching on Cobaltss.net it helped me make my descion.

Last edited by R&C_rallySS; 02-05-2007 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-05-2007, 11:17 PM

Some dude was hauling a black SS/SC on a flat bed trailer on I-40. I drove alongside him for a half hour just admiring the car. I knew I had to have one.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Feb 04 – found an article somewhere online but there was literally no info on the cobalt. A search in google returned results only about the Cobalt mineral and cobalt boats.
I started this site a month later in March 04 to gather information and help those like me that wanted the car.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:22 PM

I try my best to keep up with all the new developments in the automotive world. I've got subscriptions to Popular Mechanics (long-term testing a 05 SS/SC0, C&D (a few articles), and Road & Track (a few more articles). Don't know which I read about it in first. Then I do remember all the great Cobalt commercials... wonder where they all went?

Honestly I was in the market for a new Mustang GT, but it was a little out of my price range... and I didn't want a V6 as my Ranger had the same 4.0... was just about as fast... and got horrible city mileage. I just happened to swing into the local dealership as they were getting 3 new 06 2.4's in. Nice and clean looking. I'd never seen a SS/SC in person, and wanted an automatic for the simplicity of things in rush-hour traffic.. so the 2.4 was a good bet... better than the Tc and the Tiburon. So I ended up with one... got to really like the car. When GM did the 0% over the summer... I traded up... same payments... better engine... no regrets!

man... that got kinda long.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:24 PM

the first time i saw anything about the cobalt was the comparison test between it and the SRT4. i was so close to getting an SRT4, but then i looked at the cobalt. i like my choice!! although the srt4 would still be welcome.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:35 PM

The first time I really noticed the Cobalt SS/SC was at a solo1 school I had been teaching(helping) at and one of the students was a reporter for the Toronto Star, he had a yellow SS/SC with the recaro package and it was a loaner from the GM head office in Oshawa. At the time and even now I have a Z24 so I wasn't really looking for a new car but I drove that Yellow one around the track we were at and holy crap I was catching a modified Civic. That right there sold me I was really impressed in the handling, brakes and the power. A couple months later I baught one for myself.

still enjoying the car even in this crap weather.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:39 PM

the first time i heard about the cobalt is when they were first appearing on TV in the chevy adds with the bouncy ball. Later i started seeing them in car magazines being reviewed and grew to like them...maybe even someday...love them...

time passes, seasons change, i grow a little older. By now, i'm seeing them fairly regularly on dealer ship lots and occasionally i sneak onto the lot after business hours to get a closer look...but always too timid to go there and make the first move.

Then one fateful day, a new face shows up for his first day of work at my shop. Low and behold he drives non other than the 2005 chevy cobalt ss in the supercharged trim. finally, there it was, in a brilliant victory red with the red inserts on the seats. i had to investigate.

I finally get inside the car and start looking over all the details and all the pieces that made it what it was. finally, like from the heavens, these words came to me from the owner of the car: "So do you want to take it for a spin?". Imediately i was overcome with joy and other overwhelming emotions.

Long story short, that same day i drove that car, i was at the dealer in town pricing out my very own cobalt ss/sc and within 3 weeks of that time, i was one of the new proud owners of my very own new car....

Sorry for the long story...figured i would make it an interesting read
Old 02-05-2007, 11:42 PM

read an article in car n driver
Old 02-05-2007, 11:44 PM

I heard about the ion redline then shortly afterward heard about the cobalt in spring of '04. I absolutely hated the way the cobalt looked and said it looked like a civic. I thought the 205hp wasn't enough and continued to hate it until the spring of 05 when I actually saw one in person and fell in love. Needless to say, 2 months later I was driving home in one.

Great thread idea by the way!
Old 02-05-2007, 11:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't know the Cobalt existed....just happened to rent one and liked the get-up-and-go on the interstate on-ramps...and it still got terrific gas mileage.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:50 PM

i saw the yellow one in that commercial and was like WOW what is that...then i studied up on it a little, told everyone i knew that i was definitely getting this car...and about a year n some months later, i bought one nobody believed me when i told them i was going to buy it, but i proved them all wrong.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:59 PM

That's what the dealership sold me. Long story, lol.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:59 PM

I was reading an online article on the new chevy cars late 04. I read up a little on the cobalt and didn't think anything special of it til' I saw the SS/SC in Victory Red. I remember thinking, "Damn I wish I had that car". About a year and half later, I was at a dealership getting one on my Birthday. Even though it wasn't free at all, still the best B-Day present Ive ever had.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:06 AM
Banned

well...my buddies dad owns a dealership and he lent him a brand new cobalt ss sc for the day....

and we drove around and " tested the car for the day.." hehehehe i think we ran half a tank a gas though the car befor we brought it back to the dealer... good times
Old 02-06-2007, 12:33 AM

I was taking my dad's viper to get installed T&D rollerrockers at the local dodge dealership. When the car was ready, took it for some gas befire heading home. There was a yellow SS/SC gasing besides me and damn was that car ever fine. The guy was really nice, we drooled at each others car for a bit an went our seperate ways. Then I saw the article about the SS vs srt-4. I was sold! Year later, wrecked my sunfire, got the new balt!
Old 02-06-2007, 07:55 AM

I first saw the commerical during the superbowl a couple years ago, where the cars and hitting the soccer ball around town. Then I saw a couple SS/SC's at the track, then I met some guys that drive SS/SCs, and they only fueled my addictions. Now I have my red SS/SC
Old 02-06-2007, 08:25 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
I was in the dealership buying a 05 Blazer and I saw the poster with the Cobalt line up. I read about the 205hp SS\SC and I knew I would have one, but not as soon as I did. I picked mine up 4 months later.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:29 AM

My dad had me looking at some Grand Ams at the dealer, ended up walking by a Sunburst orange Cobalt Sedan and i loved the way it looked. It costa little more then the grand ams my dad wanted me to buy but i just worked more to get the extra cash i needed. Ended up getting it that week.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:35 AM

I first saw the cobalt in thats commercial with the corvette and the ss, I instantly wanted one but I didnt even have a license yet so it didnt happen then.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:54 AM

My wife works at Lordstown assembly and it was talked about for quite some time before it went into production.We already owned two Cavaliers and when i saw the SS/SC on a t-shirt they gave to all the employees i thought hey,thats a good lookin little car,10 times better lookin than the Cav.They even gave them a die cast SS/SC.They had the prototype SS/SC in the lobby for all to see a few monthes before they started production and she took some pics to show me.I didn't want to buy one the first year so they could work out the bugs if there were any and just this past x-mas i decided i wanted something with better fuel mileage than my '05 Denali and traded it for my '06 SS/SC.First time i ever traded in a vehicle for something and they had to give me money back!I don't regret it one bit.Lots more fun to drive and better gas mileage to boot.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:14 AM

My father used to work for a Chevy dealer back in 2003 and I came home from college one weekend and he said "Chevy might have an answer to your gfs eclipse (2g, turbo, quick as hell)." He told me the rumor was it would be supercharged and have over 200hp. I was intrigued. I tried to keep up on the car and honestly was a bit disapointed in what I was reading. Flash forward to 2006, I get assigned to work my home Senatorial district for the election and when I got here the local dealer had the car I ended up buying sitting on the lot. It sat there a good while but I kept eying it. Finally I test drove upon my fathers urging because he didn't want to see me buy Japanese, and I fell in love. The rest is history.

Quick Reply: How were you first exposed to the Cobalt?