General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

HP Tuners issues / Stand Alone ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HP Tuners issues / Stand Alone ECU?

Hi all, new to the forum but I did do some searching but not much specific to my issue. This is sort of a dual warning and appeal for help. I actually have a DF Goblin kit car with a 2006 LSJ. A few weeks ago I installed the stage 2 kit from ZZP and and went to write to the map for some changes needed for injectors using HP Tuners MVPI3 and the latest software. It deleted the map then timed out when it went to write. I tried everything I could think of any what I read about and others suggested, tried on another PCM I had and same problem. HP Tuners Support told me they have actually disabled these PCMs from being written to even though the vehicle is still listed on their site up to today and I was allowed to put credits on to two separate PCMs (both of which are now useless to me) After 3 weeks of trying every possible fix under the sun and not being able to drive the car I also tried a bench harness and power block to eliminate the possibility of the car's wiring or some other interference being the issue but hasn't changed anything. I'm basically getting a Writer Transfer Timed Out or Controller Unlocker Timeout error each attempt and not going past about 50% of the write attempt after well over 300 trys with different laptops, OS systems etc so it seems they have genuinely disabled the LSJ ecu from being usable for now when it comes to writing maps. I'm not sure if anyone has been able to write to their LSJ ecus recently?

So that leads me to where I am and thinking of possibly running a full stand alone ECU in the car. Now I know normally this would be difficult with the BCM etc but in truth for my setup all I care about is the electric power steering since I can run everything else manually on a race dash. Anyone know of any standalone systems that have worked for others or what might be involved? TIA.
Old 11-29-2022, 04:14 PM

Received 622 Likes on 470 Posts
Originally Posted by GoblinGuyZ
Hi all, new to the forum but I did do some searching but not much specific to my issue. This is sort of a dual warning and appeal for help. I actually have a DF Goblin kit car with a 2006 LSJ. A few weeks ago I installed the stage 2 kit from ZZP and and went to write to the map for some changes needed for injectors using HP Tuners MVPI3 and the latest software. It deleted the map then timed out when it went to write. I tried everything I could think of any what I read about and others suggested, tried on another PCM I had and same problem. HP Tuners Support told me they have actually disabled these PCMs from being written to even though the vehicle is still listed on their site up to today and I was allowed to put credits on to two separate PCMs (both of which are now useless to me) After 3 weeks of trying every possible fix under the sun and not being able to drive the car I also tried a bench harness and power block to eliminate the possibility of the car's wiring or some other interference being the issue but hasn't changed anything. I'm basically getting a Writer Transfer Timed Out or Controller Unlocker Timeout error each attempt and not going past about 50% of the write attempt after well over 300 trys with different laptops, OS systems etc so it seems they have genuinely disabled the LSJ ecu from being usable for now when it comes to writing maps. I'm not sure if anyone has been able to write to their LSJ ecus recently?

So that leads me to where I am and thinking of possibly running a full stand alone ECU in the car. Now I know normally this would be difficult with the BCM etc but in truth for my setup all I care about is the electric power steering since I can run everything else manually on a race dash. Anyone know of any standalone systems that have worked for others or what might be involved? TIA.
I can get you what you need. PM me if interested. Can also take care of flashing the ecu.