General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

I feel like an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel like an idiot

But I need some serious help because it's driving me nuts. On most cars the trans axle is just bolted straight on o the engine. But how is it connected on the cobalt. We were under mine at school and it looked like it went like this

Engine
______

Transmission
_______

But how is the engine connected to the transmission if they sit parallel to each other

Last edited by tyrant1014; 10-12-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Banned

im not understanding you, they are bolted together.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:40 AM

the engine is sideways and the transmission is as well.. then the axles come out of the differential

please tell me this is a joke, cause if it isn't you belong nowhere near a car
Old 10-12-2008, 09:43 AM

hes a kid, guys. come on. you can only learn by asking questions and watching and hands on. and he doesnt wanna do hands on for he dont know what is what. and prolly no one to watch to learn. so just help him out. no smart ass comments. how did u learn when u were younger?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Killa SS
hes a kid, guys. come on. you can only learn by asking questions and watching and hands on. and he doesnt wanna do hands on for he dont know what is what. and prolly no one to watch to learn. so just help him out. no smart ass comments. how did u learn when u were younger?
X2
Old 10-12-2008, 12:15 PM

The axle is bolted onto the wheel bearing which is bolted onto the knucle. Take the one large nut off the end, loosen the knucle and it just pulls out
Old 10-12-2008, 12:15 PM

I can already tell how that member is going to be. Telling people not to go near a car for his 6th post
Old 10-12-2008, 12:22 PM

Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
basicly, think of how a rwd engine and tranny sits. now take that whole combination, rotate it 90 degrees clockwise and thats how it sits in our cobalts. your transmission is designed differently so it has a differential built into it and is more compact. .
Old 10-12-2008, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Auto Trannys: the converter is bolted to the engine flywheel and there are gears and a heavy duty chain assembly behind it that turns the tranny's internals.

_
_()Engine
_
_<chain
_
_
_[]Tranny-----axles

How's that for a drawing?
Old 10-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red07SSNA
Auto Trannys: the converter is bolted to the engine flywheel and there are gears and a heavy duty chain assembly behind it that turns the tranny's internals.

_
_()Engine
_
_<chain
_
_
_[]Tranny-----axles

How's that for a drawing?

Chain??? what???? chain in the trans, nope.

Hopefully this picture helps, 90% of FWD cars are like this.

BTW, dont listen to these guys, they probably couldnt change their oil if they had to.

Last edited by GutterPalAl; 10-12-2008 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-12-2008, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by GutterPalAl
Chain??? what???? chain in the trans, nope.

Hopefully this picture helps, 90% of FWD cars are like this.

BTW, dont listen to these guys, they probably couldnt change their oil if they had to.

actualy yes. the pic you posted is a honda, they has a completly different designed automatic transmission than any other vehicle, aside from an older saturn (they tried to copy the honda automatic). most standard transaxles are the way shown in the pic above. in a gm or ford automatic transaxle the input shaft comes into the tranny and hooks to a chain, wich in turn drives the planetary gear sets.

and just for the record you may want to think twice before slamming people. i happen to be a transmission tech, ive been doing it for 5 years now.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned

i have been a trans tech at a chrysler dodge jeep dealer for 3 years and the only trans that has a chain is the 42RLE and thats in the differental. GMs may be different.

and i wasnt trying to slam you.

and that isnt a honda, i put that V tec on there to be funny.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:30 PM

dont the new cvt(or something like that) trannys from ford have a chain also?
Old 10-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Banned

Folks, this guy doesnt know anything about cars, please look at the original post, all this stuff we are adding is off topic to what he wants to know.

Originally Posted by scss
dont the new cvt(or something like that) trannys from ford have a chain also?
yes, they use a chain, but thats not what he is asking.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:40 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Some of you guys are absolute fucktards. Don't listen to them bro...

You know how I learned how **** on a car worked? I took it apart and put it back together again. I was 16, owned a 1988 Cavalier Z24, and was a broke high school student. When my car needed repairs or any kind of work, do you think I had the money to dish out and pay a shop to fix it? Of course not... I could barely afford the parts. I had no choice really but to fix it myself or be stuck without a ride. I learned a lot from that car, and also from reading. Lots of reading. Reading is fundamental, and when you read **** like "don't go near a car" or "wow you are stupid"... How the **** do you expect him to learn anything?

/Post.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by tyrant1014
But I need some serious help because it's driving me nuts. On most cars the trans axle is just bolted straight on o the engine. But how is it connected on the cobalt. We were under mine at school and it looked like it went like this

Engine
______

Transmission
_______

But how is the engine connected to the transmission if they sit parallel to each other
Let's start over...does this help...how the Cobalt's auto tranny works:

https://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/fil...anny_ipb_2.jpg

The axles go through the transaxles guts.

Last edited by Red07SSNA; 10-13-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chris88z24

You know how I learned how **** on a car worked? I took it apart and put it back together again. I was 16, owned a 1988 Cavalier Z24, and was a broke high school student. When my car needed repairs or any kind of work, do you think I had the money to dish out and pay a shop to fix it? Of course not... I could barely afford the parts. I had no choice really but to fix it myself or be stuck without a ride. I learned a lot from that car, and also from reading. Lots of reading. Reading is fundamental, and when you read **** like "don't go near a car" or "wow you are stupid"... How the **** do you expect him to learn anything?

/Post.
Amen brother .. I laugh at people who own a car because all they need is daddy for a co signer and a deep pocket. They know jack **** about mechanics. I for one understand that a human isn't born a mechanic or an engineer, but they are made.. Hope he figures it out. Good luck. The only dumb question is one that isn't asked. First car- 1989 Buick Regal coupe W/ a transmission on a pallet.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by crazybrew609
the engine is sideways and the transmission is as well.. then the axles come out of the differential

please tell me this is a joke, cause if it isn't you belong nowhere near a car
For you bro here is the deal, I know how cars work, just not newer cars, because they have decided to do things significantly different than rear wheel drive cars. I guarantee that if you got me in a rwd setup I would make you eat those words, but there is no point in trying to prove that to you when in the end I won't ever meet you nor is your opinion really going to matter to me or the rest of the world.

To everyone else. I appreciate it, all the off topic stuff I don't mind because I still learn from it. At least now I know how everything works a little better.

Oh yeah to the guy above, tech school top I'm in the top 5 of my class haven't gotten to drive train yet so I don't know the complete and inner workings of a newer car

It was stock when I got it. So... I would venture a guess that I do know what I'm doing

Last edited by tyrant1014; 10-12-2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-12-2008, 09:07 PM

Oh yeah to the guy above, tech school top I'm in the top 5 of my class haven't gotten to drive train yet so I don't know the complete and inner workings of a newer car
...and don't forget, just because you work on a couple of trannys won't mean you know all trannys! I was under the impression that all autos worked on the same principle of double planetary gear sets, bands, clutch packs, and one-way roller assys.
For 20+ years that's what I thought and then my daughter bought a 94 honda with a bad autotranny -- when I rebuilt it I had to learn all over again -- they use gears just like a manual tranny with clutch packs on the gears -- and reverse even uses a hydraulic controlled fork!
Old 10-12-2008, 09:14 PM

That's interesting, it would be nice if there was some sort of automakers industry standard. Thanks for the heads up
Old 10-12-2008, 11:09 PM

a honda automatic is a trickey thing. when you look inside it, it looks simple enough, and the function of it is. the downside is they are very finikey, the valve body is the first thing you assemble in the transmission, and it is very complex. one slight thing wrong there and it means you are pulling the tranny out and apart again, as there is no pan and you cant just drop the valve body off like most.

the basics behind the honda automatics is actualy very simple and a smart design. by having it designed like a standard you have a lot less drivetrain loss than a planetary gear sets. however, a planetary gear set is a lot stronger, can be built smaller and lead to a more compact transmission. there really is no way to make an industry standard for transmissions, there are many different designs and all have good and bad points. and if there was a standard, then 5 6 and even 7 speed automatics wouldnt be possible in small fwd cars, as they utilize newer gear train designs, such as a reveneux and lepeltier design gear trains.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
a honda automatic is a trickey thing. when you look inside it, it looks simple enough, and the function of it is. the downside is they are very finikey, the valve body is the first thing you assemble in the transmission, and it is very complex. one slight thing wrong there and it means you are pulling the tranny out and apart again, as there is no pan and you cant just drop the valve body off like most.
Yep, what you wrote is true. To get to the valve body you have to separate the tranny shell and remove the shafts (new $20 X 3 nuts each time). I also put the reverse fork shaft 180 degrees out -- and that simple mistake kept the tranny from going into reverse....had to drop, disassemble, turn the shaft around, reassemble and reinstall the tranny....you would think Honda would make it idiot proof, but Noooooo
Old 10-12-2008, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24

/Post.
thank u. i learned the same way. reason i have a low posst count but been a member for 2 years on this site. i read alot and learn. only post when selling something or giving input on what i do know or asking questions. or giving my opinion like i have done here. alot of guys are dicks that think they know it all. but im sure they dont know everything on something. every one has there area there great in and sucky in others. its different with everyone. just take the good advice the respectable members are giving u and ignore the ********. thats what i do. theres alot of knowledgeable people on this site, then u got ur fucktards like usual. hope u learn what u WANTED to know and asked about.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:51 PM

yeah I have learned the hard way on what to do and what not to do. From what little worldly experience I have, it has seemed to me that the people that dog others are more often than not the ones that really get into a situation and then don't know anything.

But I am only 19 and some of them are probably jerks but meh, his opinion really doesn't matter, everyone else has been very helpful on this forum and I take it all in.

That was the first bad response I have ever had here, and likewise my post count is pretty low, and that is cause I just sit back in the shadows and try to learn.

I just get frustrated with how complicated some of the newer stuff is getting.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:57 PM

yeah I have learned the hard way on what to do and what not to do. From what little worldly experience I have, it has seemed to me that the people that dog others are more often than not the ones that really get into a situation and then don't know anything.

But I am only 19 and some of them are probably jerks but meh, his opinion really doesn't matter, everyone else has been very helpful on this forum and I take it all in.

That was the first bad response I have ever had here, and likewise my post count is pretty low, and that is cause I just sit back in the shadows and try to learn.

I just get frustrated with how complicated some of the newer stuff is getting.
dude, im 19 as well. its not about age. i sit back and read alot too. mostly. but when ppl are dicks to ppl at ask a question cuz they dont know is bull. im sick of it. if u dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all. **** ur loser rude opinion. help others. dont be a douche. glad ur learning. and ull learn alot hear. just make sure to read and pay attention to what ur reading. cuz sometimes i just start reading and dont remember or pay attention then at the end im like, wtf was that about. haha

Quick Reply: I feel like an idiot