General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Informative posts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Informative posts?

Okay I will start off and say I am a bit tipsy but I've been thinking. I go over to SRT-4 forums and they have very imformative posts about their cars...people reaching certain power levels how to get tehre and whatnot....then I come here and there is just lounge talk nothing really that informative just chit chat. Why can't we be more performance and car orientinted instead of making css.net a chatroom? I wish we had more posters that would post what they had done to their car and what worked for them and what didn't....why can't this forum be like that? This is the top forum for the cobalts correct? Well where are we suppose to get information for our cars if the forum that is at the top is just like a chat room?

Okay I'm not hating on anybody in particular because we all do it...but still I just don't understand, been scratching my head for a while now.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we have 20,000 members, it cant all be seriousness. besides, most of these topics have been answered many times over, people just cant seem to find the search button.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:50 AM

^^x2
Old 10-19-2007, 01:51 AM

What are you talking about? There is a TON of information here about performance.

I see it everywhere.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:52 AM

there are alot of very knowledgeable members on this site...
Old 10-19-2007, 01:53 AM

WOP and NJHK come to mind...
Old 10-19-2007, 01:54 AM

Jackalope knows his stuff too (PS. congrad's on hitting 6,000)
Old 10-19-2007, 01:57 AM

Thats exactly what I'm saying they do know their stuff but it dosn't seem like there is enough posts about certain things I don't know. For instance what is the highest HP cobalt ss/sc?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:58 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

we have <9000 active members... Jonel does not prune his member his, if you go and look 11000+ havent logged in since Jan 2007. Only ~9700 have logged in within the last 6months, and only ~6150 in the past 60 days...

Dont let those # fool you ... but when you put 6000ppl together, most of which are in the 16-24 age range you will get alot of "off-topic" ****.

Plus I think as a whole we have hit a bit of a power roadblock.
The 2.0 are kind of on a plateu in power. (except a few)
The busy section lately has been the 2.4 area with the increase in SC additions.
The 2.2 section has always been weak with VERY few major modifiers there.

But i do know what you are talking about, and its always been this way... Just one of them things
Old 10-19-2007, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by REIGN SS
we have <9000 active members... Jonel does not prune his member his, if you go and look 11000+ havent logged in since Jan 2007. Only ~9700 have logged in within the last 6months, and only ~6150 in the past 60 days...

Dont let those # fool you ... but when you put 6000ppl together, most of which are in the 16-24 age range you will get alot of "off-topic" ****.

Plus I think as a whole we have hit a bit of a power roadblock.
The 2.0 are kind of on a plateu in power. (except a few)
The busy section lately has been the 2.4 area with the increase in SC additions.
The 2.2 section has always been weak with VERY few major modifiers there.

But i do know what you are talking about, and its always been this way... Just one of them things
yes but to say that none of those 11000 before then havnt contributed to this site in its earlier days is also rediculous. current or non current is not the issue, you can post something two years ago that is still useful today.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:05 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Im just saying, we dont really have 20000 members, we have had 20000 people register...
Old 10-19-2007, 02:07 AM

Im just saying, we dont really have 20000 members, we have had 20000 people register...
which would make them a member.... current vs non current is what you are arguing, which is irrelivant to the topic of overall information. you can argue that some have not contributed, but overall i'd say most have found what they were looking for on the site, reguardless of if they actually posted or not.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:09 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Beck
which would make them a member.... current vs non current is what you are arguing, which is irrelivant to the topic of overall information.
Im not going to split hairs, its a good thing i love your car!!

But there should be new information made ever so often your suppose to learn from the past and make new stuff from the future correct? I just wish there wasn't so much off topic stuff about sex, life issues and such. I know css.net is like fmaily but still whenever I click new posts for the day all I see is life issues and hardly any technical information...I guess Reign is right its the age that hurts us.
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Just ignore "The Lounge"
Old 10-19-2007, 02:10 AM

Just ignore "The Lounge"
Then there woudl hardly be anything new to look at....thats my point.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:13 AM

there are so many different topics on this site its rediculous. i dare you to log on and try to read every post made every day lol. if you want to see a slow ass site, go to your cobalt dot com.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:15 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Nature of the beast, like I said, as a whole the cobalt has hit a roadblock as far as "new" modifications, its just the same old threads over & over...

There are exceptions, (Beck for example) but for the most part its the same things over & over...
Old 10-19-2007, 02:18 AM

woohoo im an exception lol.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:18 AM

I haven't been around that long, but I disagree regarding the lack of informative posts. All you have to do is go to the How To forums, and start reading. Some of those posts are very detailed, and come with step by step pictures.

I haven't looked in the 2.2 or 2.4 forums, but the 2.0 forum also has a lot of info. I've seen a lot of the same questions answered repeatedly, even though the same folks have answered them many times before.

I won't even mention the numerous "What do you guys think if I do XYZ?" posts where folks ask for input, and people give their opinion, and then expand by sharing their personal experience.

Yeah, if you just look at things with a sideways glance, there is a lot of chit chat and bullshitting going on. If you dig a little deeper, odds are any question you could possibly ask about the Cobalt has been answered. Repeatedly. It's all just a matter of how much effort you put into your search.

For example, I wanted to get a simple starter mod that wouldn't be too difficult for a total n00b like myself. After looking around, and reading, I discovered a few things. First, a cold air intake seemed to be the most suggested first mod. Second, the Injen CAI has a very good reputation with everyone who has installed one. Finally, holy ****... there's an in-depth how-to with pictures. Now, while I haven't actually installed my CAI yet, I do have it at the house. I'm just waiting for my bud to have a free day to help me out since he's more mechanically inclined than I am.

Anyway, to reiterate what I was babbling about: take your time, use the search function, and look a little closer. Like any information, it's all there. You just have to find it.

j
Old 10-19-2007, 02:20 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by nexus23
I haven't been around that long, but I disagree regarding the lack of informative posts. All you have to do is go to the How To forums, and start reading. Some of those posts are very detailed, and come with step by step pictures.
That is exactly why, once youve been here for a year or more you will notice the amounts of repeat info & arguments...
Old 10-19-2007, 02:26 AM

That is exactly why, once youve been here for a year or more you will notice the amounts of repeat info & arguments...
Exactly..everything is just soo dry now...
Old 10-19-2007, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by L.P.
Exactly..everything is just soo dry now...
So, stop complaining and go do something new and then post about it!

I lurked here before I bought my cobalt and registered shortly after I got mine and I seem to notice almost everyone does the same mods. How many times can you measure the gains from the same mods?

I wouldn't blame the members as much as the market. Theres a few cobalt sites that have things for our car that no other sites have because it is a relatively new car and the market is still developing. Then there are your run of the mill sell everything that says it fits on a cobalt site. So really theres not a whole lot to choose from in regards to modifications. I guess really there are not a lot of things to talk about.

And you can't compare our car to other older cars yet, they have had more time for their markets to develop. I bet with just about any car the first two years theres little to no one offering NEW performance parts for it.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:27 AM

From what I can see, this thread itself started out as uninformative (though a good thought for someone who was self admittedly a bit intoxicated), but has had quite a few very good responses to it. While I agree with those who say there is A LOT of information floating around this site, I also agree that quite a bit of it has been getting stale. No one seems to be doing anything exceptionally crazy right now, with a few exceptions, the RWD conversion which seems to be taking FOREVER comes to mind. But this isn't something that should bother anyone, unless you've done it all already, and are looking for something new. And if you're at that point, maybe you need to be a pioneer and start looking into engine swaps or something, in order to be the next "radical" Cobalt on the site. Just sayin.

Oh and if you're bored with the site or your car, maybe check out some of Area47's posts. From what I've read, dude is like the super tuning genius guru of our platform (though a bit of a tease, posting up his dyno sheets and refusing to release the info on the tune). Maybe offer up some $ flow for a new tune for your ride, or ask him what his theories are on the plasma flow for the new flux capacitor system we've been hearing about. Guess the point is, there are A LOT of people with A LOT of knowledge. Just start asking questions, they'll have answers.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

ironicly this should be posted in the lounge, not the general cobalt section, as it has no info about cobalts in it.

Quick Reply: Informative posts?