General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

"It's safe to drive" - Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VolklSkiier
Like, idk... ever had snow caught in your rims or not been alligned properly? that what the vibes were like right befor it happend.

the knocking was a hollow knocking comming from the front driver side of the car and if right before acceleration and after i let off the accel, it would kind of pulsate a bit... thats what prompted me taking the car in.
Because I have a knocking in my side the driver side when I hit a bumpy road sound like a rattle and when I would accelerate it would be like a thump. I took it to the dealer and they retightened everything and they said that it could be a small insert bushing that goes in the rocker arm but not worry that it should be okay, that all I will have is the noise. I’ve ran the crap out of my car allot, the check up with the dealer was about 2 months ago. My car is okay but now I’m kind of scared
Old 01-24-2008, 11:11 PM

if they wont give you a courtesy vehicle, make them give one of your parents a courtesy vehicle, and you drive your parents car. Make sure you inconvience(SP?) the dealer, because they inconvienced you. Courtesy vehicle costs come out of the shops profits, so they may just be telling you that they can't give you a car just to save those costs.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

Nope...
After about 30 minuites on I-75, the knocking and slight rattles turned into violent shakes and vibes.

After about 3 min of that shaking, (i was gonna pull off at the next exit)...

If my front end started to have "violent shakes and vibes" i wouldn't have drove for 3 minutes to get to the next exit . I would've pulled over immediately and at least looked it over . Maybe you should leave that part out when talking to the dealer .
Old 01-25-2008, 12:11 PM

Sounds like the tech diagnoised the problem wrong, prob didn't even drive it, at least much, there is a bullitin about steering wheel making a clunking sound and he prob assumed it was that and just ordered the part to fix. And like someone asked before, who had your wheels off last? Cause I would be willing to bet that is the person that caused this problem cause wheels generally do not just fall off, either put on wrong or you hit something really hard.

I just realized you said you took your wheels off before, what did you use to torque them? if you didn't use a torque stick with a 1/2 impact gun I don't think you really torqued them right.

Last edited by Badassz69; 01-25-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-25-2008, 12:17 PM

If the tech at the dealer removed the wheel and did not torque it he is responsible for the wheel off! your lucky you wernt hurt or others driving arond you!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:18 PM

my dealership gave me a loaner twice and im only 20. First for my sunroof second for my clutch.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OUCH that really sucks, I'd definitely say go with the lawyers and make them fix everything right. I can't believe they let you take the car out in that condition.

Originally Posted by tkosmen
ouch man, i'm glad your ok, that could have turned out much worse. as for the car they have to fix it, plus give you free oil changes for life for almost killing you. i have a quick question, sorry that it's off topic, but in your sig it says 06 arival blue ss/sc, i though they only made arival blue in 05? i was just confused, good luck with your car
They made Arrival in 05 and very early 06, so it IS possible to have an 06 Arrival Blue SS/SC.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Badassz69
I just realized you said you took your wheels off before, what did you use to torque them? if you didn't use a torque stick with a 1/2 impact gun I don't think you really torqued them right.

or he coulda done it with a tourque wrench, by hand. good to hear you didn;t get hurt. good luck with this. and i dont see how they can deny you a loaner anymore.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:59 PM

we used a torque wrench, and did it by hand....
Old 01-25-2008, 02:03 PM

dude, the first thing you should have done was called the police and filed an accident report. that would have helped witnesses write a statement. and yes4x getting a lawyer. dude you could have wrecked, and gotten seriously hurt. also, i would not accept that cobalt back. when getting a lawyer involved it should be easy enough to get a new cobalt. do not accept getting yours repaired. tell them your affraid to drive it and you clearly can not trust the expertise of the "techs" there
Old 01-25-2008, 03:00 PM

The dealership is officially blaming this whole thing on my after market wheel's and the centering/mounting rings that discount tire included with my wheels... I say its bullshit, one would think that if a wheel wasn't mounted correctly I'd have noticed earlier... I mean, that wheel has its been on for more than 4 weeks..

My family has lawyer ready if they wont take care of things.

They say they're gonna get me a loaner now... they haven't gotten back to me about an estimate..

I got the state trooper card that was on the scene... she said she'll write up a report if I need one, but couldn't last night because she got a call and had to bolt..

Idk what else I can do until I get home and go up to the dealer... I had an admissions interview today at CMU... and i have no idea how im getting home haha.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
OUCH that really sucks, I'd definitely say go with the lawyers and make them fix everything right. I can't believe they let you take the car out in that condition.

They made Arrival in 05 and very early 06, so it IS possible to have an 06 Arrival Blue SS/SC.
oooohhhhhhh, ok thank you, i was just wondering, lol
Old 01-26-2008, 10:48 AM

The dealership is officially blaming this whole thing on my after market wheel's and the centering/mounting rings that discount tire included with my wheels... I say its bullshit, one would think that if a wheel wasn't mounted correctly I'd have noticed earlier... I mean, that wheel has its been on for more than 4 weeks..

They say they're gonna get me a loaner now... they haven't gotten back to me about an estimate..

I got the state trooper card that was on the scene... she said she'll write up a report if I need one, but couldn't last night because she got a call and had to bolt..

Idk what else I can do until I get home and go up to the dealer... I had an admissions interview today at CMU... and i have no idea how im getting home haha.
uh-oh, youve got one of those dealerships on your hands....best of luck dude i hope it works out for you
Old 01-26-2008, 11:06 AM
ogc

Well if thats the case they should have realized it when you took it in to them. EVEN IF that was what caused it you brought the car to them to get the problem diagnosed and they said it was safe to drive. It is their fault.

If you hadn't taken the car to them they might have a leg to stand on but since you did, and they let you go they are completely guilty.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by ogc
Well if thats the case they should have realized it when you took it in to them. EVEN IF that was what caused it you brought the car to them to get the problem diagnosed and they said it was safe to drive. It is their fault.

If you hadn't taken the car to them they might have a leg to stand on but since you did, and they let you go they are completely guilty.
i second this. if this was the case then they should have mentioned it then. bottom line, no if and or buts, they told you "the car is safe to drive" thats the end of the story. if what they said was the issue then they would have noticed it right off the bat.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:51 PM

All those thing can contribute to what caused the problem, torqueing wheels by hand with a torque wrench is not the best way to do it cause I've seen a few cases where you get false readings from the load on the tire, usually 3 lugs will be too tight and the one or 2 will be very loose, it probobly took a few weeks for the lugs to work loose and break the stud. All that is besides the point though, the tech should have caught the loose wheel when you brought it in, especially if it had aftermarket wheels, if I would have seen that I would have check the wheels and their mounting before I even took it out for a ride to confirm your problem. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by ogc

i 3rd this. they technically looked over the car, i'm assuming the wheels and lugs. if they said alls well, i don't really see how they could say they're not responsible.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:28 AM

damn! glad you were able to keep it under control and are ok.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:23 AM

Just got back from the dealership... body shop made a quote of around 1,557.50... that doesn't include possibly getting a new rotor and alignment, and I'm still weary that the control arm could have bent when the rotor smacked the ground.

They say because I didn't give them an adequate amount of time to fully service the car the service manager and the general manager decided they're not at fault. So this means they are trying to get me to make an insurance claim, and I talked with my agent, my deductible will jump from 500 to 1500, monthly rates would go from 110 to +350... and even if I make a claim, they don't feel they should pay the deductible.

What i don't get is how they blame me on not enough time... I sat in the waiting room for 2 hours after spending like 2 hours looking at the cars at the Caddy, VW, and Mercedes dealerships, then THEY CALLED my phone, to tell me to come back to service to pick up my car...
I vocalized that they could keep the car if I could get a car because I do still have to get around while they do warranty work, and they said they couldn't because i wouldn't be insured on the car but that my vehicle was safe to drive because the only problem found was the steering column.
They made it seem like I was wrong for taking the car when I was there today.

Still no loaner or rental car.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:41 AM

File a lawsuit on them..only thing you can do as it sounds.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:08 PM

Get em for greivences too. They denied you the customary rental for a warrentied car its all part of the bundle if you look in that little panflet the give you with the warrenty.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:35 PM
ogc

Man,

Don't let them puch you around. Tell them that if they do not deal with this situation to your satisfaction ie. Cover all costs and damages to the car, you will be contacting a lawyer.

Leave it at that see what they say, and if they still say they will not cover it then go get a lawyer. Seriously, this is an open and shut situation, all it will take is a letter from a lawyer explaining your intent and they will likely solve the problem for you as it won't be worth their time and money.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:39 PM

You didn't have any other choice but to take the car because you had no other mode of transportation and they wouldn't lend you one! I hate dealerships.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:43 PM

Lawsuit time.

I can't tell you how many times my ******* wheel studs have broken off when noone was even touching them. The dealer refuses to replace them either. "Oh, if the wheel stud broke, its because someone did it."

Well I sure as **** havent fucked with the wheel studs and they're breaking off on their own occasionally while driving.

Fortunately I haven't lost any wheels yet

Yeah, the first time my wheel stud broke they blamed it on my rims.

The second and third time I came in with a broken stud, I had my stockers on. Then they blamed it on over-torquing (yeah, cause studs randomly break off 6 months after the rim was last screwed with randomly)

Last edited by HackAbuse; 01-28-2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-28-2008, 01:50 PM

kyle,

you don't need any thing in writing from them, if you took the car in and they gave it back to you thats a legal binding statement saying that the car is safe. if a dealer or any shop for that matter finds any issue on a car that they have in for serves its on them to with hold the car until repairs can be made so the car becomes safe to drive again.

they shoot them selves in the foot on this one, HOWEVER you did **** your self over with the after market rims.

the equipment that caused the damage was NOT oem thus releaseing the dealer from having to warranty your needed repairs.

the time frame that you've had the wheels on the car matters not, this is tricky at best.

they DID release the car back to you, thus stating its safe to drive BUT the issue arised from non-OEM equipment.

had an issue like this before on an old car.

loose lug nuts were letting the wheel shake around and tap into the ABS line, thus causing a shake in the stearing wheel.

Quick Reply: "It's safe to drive" - Dealership