General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

The Last Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mongorat427
Let me restate that. It does make a difference what TRIM LEVEL you have reguardless what somebody tells you. Trim level is considered when classic car status is granted. My C 1500 is classic because of the TRIM LEVEL 454SS. Also if your car is highly modified you can get a collectible plate in Pa. reguardless of year. Ive done both.

Classic may be 15 years. But collectible can be any year which is modified. In Pa you need form MV 426-B Follow the instructions closely and take good pictures. Heres the link

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ements&spell=1
Point is, you're not getting a classic or antique plate for a Cobalt, at least not for another 10-15 years, minimum.

The only crumb of truth in your statement is that you could possibly get a collectible plate for the Cobalt. HOWEVER, the car would have to be "substantially" modified from its original state and primarily used for participation in club and exhibition events with only occasional transportation use. Show me a Cobalt on the road that fits those requirements.

Furthermore, your original post implied that anyone with a turbocharged Cobalt SS could possibly get "classic" plates due to limited production numbers:

Anyone who has a SS TC can now apply for a Classic Car Plate in certain states because of the limited production numbers and the out of production status. Rules vary from state to state.
I was referring to that exact quote (from before you edited your post) about the classic plates.

People that think Cobalts, in any trim/option/year, are rare just make me laugh.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Premium Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Your right on the classic. Its 15 years. I could get a collectable based on my mods , but I dont use my car for a daily driver. Also my 454SS must be rare enough . They made 18000 total. Only about 3500 SS TCs were made.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:45 AM

All of those plates have mileage requirements as well. That's originally why I didn't get one for my Olds..
Old 07-13-2010, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I definitely don't remember the last oldsmobile, I hope this isn't what GM is trying to do, come out with really small and cheap super fiberglass like cars lol, the cobalt might of lasted longer if GM wasn't owned.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PpAzZ1101
Point is, you're not getting a classic or antique plate for a Cobalt, at least not for another 10-15 years, minimum.

The only crumb of truth in your statement is that you could possibly get a collectible plate for the Cobalt. HOWEVER, the car would have to be "substantially" modified from its original state and primarily used for participation in club and exhibition events with only occasional transportation use. Show me a Cobalt on the road that fits those requirements.

Furthermore, your original post implied that anyone with a turbocharged Cobalt SS could possibly get "classic" plates due to limited production numbers:

I was referring to that exact quote (from before you edited your post) about the classic plates.

People that think Cobalts, in any trim/option/year, are rare just make me laugh.
Laugh at what you want. I was just trying to get some info out and some DICK like you allways has to dick everybody off.

Originally Posted by Lapila82
Yeah, haha. And it was a nice car, sad to have seen it go, but he did upgrade to a new Caddy STS last year, so the sadness was short-lived lol.
Good for you. I like Caddys

Last edited by mongorat427; 07-13-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-13-2010, 12:01 PM

Laugh at what you want. I was just trying to get some info out and some DICK like you allways has to dick everybody off.
He has a tenancy of doing that.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by XD40_Bang!
This could quite possibly the best thing to happen to gm. The cruze couldn't come fast enough. I'm so dissapointed in my cobalt I can not put it into words. The car is way under engineered on so many levels. Corners where clearly cut. I regret ever buying the car. Thankfully ill be trading the car in within the next month.
you have no soul
Old 07-13-2010, 02:12 PM

So when you posted, you were just trying to get some info out. But when I try to put out some accurate info that clarifies what you said, I'm a dick? That makes sense.

Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
He has a tenancy of doing that.
You mad still?

Last edited by PpAzZ1101; 07-13-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-13-2010, 02:13 PM

You mad still?
Nope. Could care less.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:25 PM

You mad still?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dart_SI
guessing you dont own an ss..

i wounld NEVER buy a base model cobalt. even if i was payed. sorry but no. the SS had a little more attention to it. to be honest, every cobalt should be like the SS versions, except with a diffrent drivetrain. the interior should be the same, the feel of the car, almost everything.
You lying to yourself if you actually believe this.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:16 PM

You lying to yourself if you actually believe this.
If YOU don't believe this than why do you bother to visit this site
Old 07-14-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Axelthered05
If YOU don't believe this than why do you bother to visit this site
The screen name may not say it but I've been here longer then you have. The wisconsin thread is the only reason I'm here. The car is allright. The cruz will be a way better car. If and when they make a cruz ss I would possible look into it. But all cobalts where made at the same factory thus quality doesn't differ by much. Bur at the end of the day we are all driving an econ box fi or not. Its a great starter car but its no sports car. Nor is it worth what they want for it new. The same price you can do a lot better.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:01 PM

hey i didnt know they stopped making cobalts. well, i guess that means this website has to go to lol
Old 07-14-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by mkulrey13
And its comming to my state! i shall go visit it.
Lets go
Old 07-15-2010, 12:17 AM

First my point was that your clearly not a fan so why are you here (thats bin answered), and second why does it mater how long youve bin here? And if you had just said somthing like this in the first place you wouldent have offended me lol
The car is allright. The cruz will be a way better car. If and when they make a cruz ss I would possible look into it. But all cobalts where made at the same factory thus quality doesn't differ by much. Bur at the end of the day we are all driving an econ box fi or not. Its a great starter car but its no sports car. Nor is it worth what they want for it new. The same price you can do a lot better.
I love cobalts the body, the interior, and the engine the car is perfict for me I love everything about them and when i get older and replace the cobalt with somthing else im sure i will absolutly love everything about that car
Old 07-15-2010, 01:23 AM

Im glad the cobalt is gone. Mine is very unreliable and since i was not the first owner i dont know who to blame it on. I take good care of it and it doesnt help me out at all (curently in the shop for borken shift linkage and ive only owned the car for 6 months, 10k miles). Instead i hear nothing but bad things about cobalts from every single person i know who owns one. I bet anyone else who drives the SS models the way they SHOULD be driven either has enough money to support what breaks, or has **** breaking all the time. When i say driven the right way i mean not slamming the clutch and grinding gears, missing shifts and revving out the motor. I mean legitimately running the car hard and not putting anymore stress on parts that should hold up, yet wont because its an economy car. This i realize, however why would GM put out an "SS" performance model and not upgrade weak parts that will take more abuse due to the nature of the crowd it attracts? GM just cut corners like someone else said. I wish it was reliable and i would honestly love this car for what its capabilities are for how cheap it is...BUT...CHEAP it is.

Rest in peace is the nicest thing i can say about this car.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dart_SI
guessing you dont own an ss..

i wounld NEVER buy a base model cobalt. even if i was payed. sorry but no. the SS had a little more attention to it. to be honest, every cobalt should be like the SS versions, except with a diffrent drivetrain. the interior should be the same, the feel of the car, almost everything.
lol.

Everything on all the cars are the same except for engine, transmission, supension, tires, wheels, seats etc.

Don't kid yourself.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:02 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=mongorat427;5091571]Anyone who has a SS TC can now apply for a Classic Car Plate in certain states because of the limited production numbers and the out of production status. Rules vary from state to state.

Maybe a car with a lot of plastic in it, but a classic car. Can't see it
Old 07-15-2010, 02:22 AM

[QUOTE=demento;5100053]
Anyone who has a SS TC can now apply for a Classic Car Plate in certain states because of the limited production numbers and the out of production status. Rules vary from state to state.

Maybe a car with a lot of plastic in it, but a classic car. Can't see it
In NJ your car has to be at least 25 years old.

Person who made that post has no clue what they're talking about.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by 06yellowburdSS
Im glad the cobalt is gone. Mine is very unreliable and since i was not the first owner i dont know who to blame it on. I take good care of it and it doesnt help me out at all (curently in the shop for borken shift linkage and ive only owned the car for 6 months, 10k miles). Instead i hear nothing but bad things about cobalts from every single person i know who owns one. I bet anyone else who drives the SS models the way they SHOULD be driven either has enough money to support what breaks, or has **** breaking all the time. When i say driven the right way i mean not slamming the clutch and grinding gears, missing shifts and revving out the motor. I mean legitimately running the car hard and not putting anymore stress on parts that should hold up, yet wont because its an economy car. This i realize, however why would GM put out an "SS" performance model and not upgrade weak parts that will take more abuse due to the nature of the crowd it attracts? GM just cut corners like someone else said. I wish it was reliable and i would honestly love this car for what its capabilities are for how cheap it is...BUT...CHEAP it is.

All this rant about parts breaking because it's a cheap car is BS!!! You are admitting to beating the crap out of your car. Try doing that to and EVO or STI that cost $10k more and you will break stuff too. Heck do it to a 370Z, M3, Camaro, ect and you are going to break stuff! How about stop beating the crap out of it and then see how reliable it is! I am not saying have fun with it, just don't complain when stuff goes wrong after abuse.
/end
Old 07-15-2010, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so lets do the math gm said that my car put out 205 hp with my pulley and supporting mods a mustang dyno says i put down 282 hp. so thats an increase of what 40% guess what your gonna break ****. clutch axles anything that is connected to the engine. take a new camaro and put 500 to the ground and tell me that your not upgrading anything.

we got a car that was about 7-10k less then the competitions pricing so we got a 10k less car.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:24 AM

OK...THIS is where I come in. I now have over 190,000 miles. im the only owner and I dog the crap out of my car. factory clutch still grabs with NO SLIPPAGE.

So..dont go out here saying cobalts break and its a disgrace. If you take care of your car...itll do just what mine did. I may not race my car..but I definitely get my moneys worth. I shift without my clutch all the time, I skip gears frequently...even grind accidently sometimes. STILL, no problems. The only thing I hate about the car is the brake rotors. THE ONLY THING. im on my 4th set now...

SO...you may have issues...everyone else may have issues...but not knock the cobalt. Mine drives like it was new...and I will stand by it everyday. I do alot of stopping and going everyday delivering....all with heAVY braking and heavy accelerating. you cant say that isnt hard as hell on a car... and Im still racking miles like nothing...
Old 07-15-2010, 10:27 AM

you will be missed
Old 07-15-2010, 11:06 AM

i get so sick of these damn posts... i had an 05 Base model Cobalt coupe and aside from the tires, the car was very solid, did well in the snow and cold and got fantastic mileage. Passing slower traffic was never an issue. I traded for an 07 Cobalt SS/SC and again, no problems with that car either.
i used to hear this crap over on the J-body sites as well... "MY CAVALIER IS CRAP BECAUSE I BEAT THE **** OUT OF IT AND IT BROKE..."
well, just as an FYI, you beat the **** out of anything and it's going to break. I don't care if it's a Civic, an Evo or a damn Porsche. If it's not a race car with numbers on the side of it, don't beat on it like one. And if you try to, expect the consequences.

As for the Cruz, if I wanted a Korean-designed sh*tbox, i'd buy a goddamn Kia.
I don't want a Korean-designed piece of crap... I want an affordable two door coupe with some nuts under the hood.

Quick Reply: The Last Cobalt