General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

LS Just got done on 1069 mile trip, BE WARNED!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My last trip was 710 miles and my cobalt was great for the entire time. I love it.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Banned

in my SS/SC over the last weekend for mothers day I had 5 people in the car (including me as the driver). The trunk was full and my brother sat in the passenger side, my brother wife sat in the back seat, my two nephews who are 1 1/2 yrs old and 6 months sat on each side in the back.

Needless to say everyone was glad to get out of the car lol after the trip. We had to repeat going home but it wasn't as bad. The only thing is I got extreme back pain from sitting in my seat weird. No leg room in the back = no leg room in the front either. I'm still hurting..
Old 05-16-2006, 10:03 PM

I'm thinking it's a younger driver not comfortable driving yet....I can never understand how those people drive at 3 and 9 squeezing the wheel for so long...

I've driven my 94 Cav for over 2000 miles on about 5 different occasions and had no problems what so ever, Driving my G/f's LS for long trips is even better than the Cavy, and taking my SS/Sc anywhere is a joy, even 1000+ miles. If you learn the car, and learn to relax and feel the car, not be so stressed, your long distance drives will be 100x's more enjoyable. (I've driven a dodge Caravan loaded with car parts through the mountains and over 2000 miles without a problem, and I'd actually rather drive my ss, or Cavy or the LS on a long trip over my moms 00 fully loaded Malibu.)

Honestly, from the sound of your post and the statements, you need to relax and practice driving some more.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by sneaky
in my SS/SC over the last weekend for mothers day I had 5 people in the car (including me as the driver). The trunk was full and my brother sat in the passenger side, my brother wife sat in the back seat, my two nephews who are 1 1/2 yrs old and 6 months sat on each side in the back.

Needless to say everyone was glad to get out of the car lol after the trip. We had to repeat going home but it wasn't as bad. The only thing is I got extreme back pain from sitting in my seat weird. No leg room in the back = no leg room in the front either. I'm still hurting..

Yeah really, none of the cars in this segment have functioning backseats. For my size I basically have to move up to an Impala to get decent backseat leg room.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by clumsykx
So my heavily planned trip from north east ohio, close to youngstown, to the outskirts of orlando, convinced me to get out of my un-air conditioned, 89 whp, manual, 600 lb capacity, chevrolet aveo into a 5 speed cobalt ls coupe. .
So I changed my oil, packed up my luggage, and went to pick everyone else up. I loaded up three other people, all their luggage and filled up the tank. Estimated a total weight without gas is around 1100 lbs extra.
My first tohught would be that my clutch would be fried by the time I got to florida. I was very suprised but experienced clutch engagement, lead to a supriseling normal take off everytime. My qt times weren't that great but it was still able to get out of it's own way very easily. Even with the a/c on there was not much difference. It was sluggish but it still was able to keep up with anything on the highway.
The biggest problem i was afraid of was the handling. The handling really scared me be cause of all the weight. I was setup in my car to drive for the long haul. I was about paralell to the rear door jam. We went thorugh west virginia and virginia where the speed limits were 70 mph and nothing but turns. But we left at 5 pm so we were there late at night pushing around 80-85 mph. I was white knuckiling it the whole way thorugh there. The car felt like the the tires were its weakiest point, the sway and roll were really bad and I was scared around every turn. I was so afraid of hitting the brakes on the turn, which you weren't supposed to do anyway, and trying to keep tourque on the front wheels to pull me through the turns without increasing speed. The car though the mountains actually got 32 mpg while having to heavily accelerate though the mountains.
We finally got to north and south carolina and through georgia and my average speed was 95 mph where I got around 30 mpg due to inefficiency of the speed. The car is good to about 85 mph and able to hold with 1/4 throttle. The higher speeds require alot moe pedal and are kinda scary.
Driving the car I learned NOT TO USE THE STEERING WHEEL AS A HANDLE. The steering wheel is a tool to turn the wheels. My arms and hands were so fatigued, I almost could not bear it. The power steering is horrible, it stuck to the center like any new car would have, and was very hard to turn and at random it would be eaier to turn. Very upsetting. The cruise control I almost never used because i needed feedback from the car. The steering wheel did not give proper feedback for my driving conditions. My elbow is also very chaffed because of the arm rest. It proved to be very unforgiveable and if you dont use it, bothat arms are suspended mid air, instilling fatigue. THe sterring wheel was also not sensitive enoguh to steer using one handed in the lap. My knee was also very stiff because I had to hold it in the same position the whoel time because i didnt use the throttle most of the time.
My tips:
Dont hang hardcore onto the steering wheel.
Become as familier as possible with your comfort zone in that vehicle.
Know what your car can do and not do.

My final conclusion is that i would never take this vehicle on a road trip like this ever again. it was too long and found to be very uncomfortable.
The car did hold it own at fast speeds and kept up with the best of them.
i hate to sound like an ass..... but you are a moron.

just read what you wrote.... i wouldnt even think of posting up something with that many errors and ridiculous points. say what you want, it really doesnt matter.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:07 AM

I took my 115hp cavi on a ski trip with three people. It was a manual coupe with 2 people in the back seats behind me and 3 snowboards next to me on the passeneger seat. The trunk was full of bags and the poor little car had to climb the rocky mountains for 3 hours to get to the destination. We went over one of the highest passes in the Continental United states. It was at 4500-5000 in 3rd the whole way. We got passed by everything. It did have studded snow tires though so we werent being stupid. The best part was the trip down because we just coasted.
hahaha i no how you feel i took my 115hp sunfire 2 door 4 speed auto to qubec over the summer with me my gf and my bros gf in it with all are stuff in the trunk and a 12inch sub in the trunk and full tank of gas. we got into MASS where the Adirondack Mountains are and i had to keep up with my dad in the grand prix. it was a very nice ride everyone fell asleep and made it all the way from CT to the canada line on 1 tank of gas.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Skottish
where do you go to school in FL?
Northwood University in West Palm Beach, I'm actually studying Automotive Aftermarket/Management. Its a kick ass program, lol they were gonna send me to SEMA this year but I had to turn it down against my will,lol.

But anyways back to the original topic, Im driving from down here in FL back home to NY for the summer on Saturday. I loved the ride coming down it was the first long trip ive been in where I was totally comfortable. The only opther times I made the trip were in an 04 Olds Bravada and an 01 Silhouette and it SUCKED in them both.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SS SChgd
I'm thinking it's a younger driver not comfortable driving yet....I can never understand how those people drive at 3 and 9 squeezing the wheel for so long...

I've driven my 94 Cav for over 2000 miles on about 5 different occasions and had no problems what so ever, Driving my G/f's LS for long trips is even better than the Cavy, and taking my SS/Sc anywhere is a joy, even 1000+ miles. If you learn the car, and learn to relax and feel the car, not be so stressed, your long distance drives will be 100x's more enjoyable. (I've driven a dodge Caravan loaded with car parts through the mountains and over 2000 miles without a problem, and I'd actually rather drive my ss, or Cavy or the LS on a long trip over my moms 00 fully loaded Malibu.)

Honestly, from the sound of your post and the statements, you need to relax and practice driving some more.
my gf's got a loaded 01 malibu and im the same way. i hate her leather seats, and her cd player doesnt work all the time. mostly tho i drive the balt because its much cheaper on gas and easier to get thru trafiic than her malibu. but if were taking 4 people we have to take her car so we dont hear complaints from the back. i fit in the back just fine when i switch out on road trips, i dunno what theyre complaining about.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:56 PM

I finished the 1287 mile trip from West Palm Beach,FL to my house in New York and I have to say I crammed all of my belongings form my dorm in the car and stuffed me and my dad in there and still were VERY comfortable. Plus I got 32mpg the whole way it rocked. So I dunno what your talking about this car is a good road trip car.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stealth06LT
I finished the 1287 mile trip from West Palm Beach,FL to my house in New York and I have to say I crammed all of my belongings form my dorm in the car and stuffed me and my dad in there and still were VERY comfortable. Plus I got 32mpg the whole way it rocked. So I dunno what your talking about this car is a good road trip car.

Yeah the seats are nice and firm, at first they might feel a bit uncomfortable, but after spending a few hours in them you really notice it when you get out and your ass isn't numb and you can actually stand up straight without having to "ease" into a standing position. hehehe.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Fail Less.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ReMz
i hate to sound like an ass..... but you are a moron.

just read what you wrote.... i wouldnt even think of posting up something with that many errors and ridiculous points. say what you want, it really doesnt matter.

i think you have no call posting that since you dont own the same car and have not had the same experience. before you call someone a moron you could atleast have some experience or knowledge to support that conclusion. i have driven the ls 5 speed. it does feel disconnected at higher speeds. nowhere did he flame the car, just listed some positive and negative aspects of the vehicle.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:45 PM

I just did a 27 hour round trip 1800 miles this past weekend in my SS. I've never had any problems with long trips. I ended up with just over 31 mpg at the end. My car gets damn good milage
Old 05-25-2006, 12:17 AM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This post will get more interesting, I can sense.

Drove mine to Columbus then to Norwalk, and back to Youngstown 3 weeks ago. Like 450 miles in 24 ish hours, no complaints.

Averaged 30.3 mpg to Columbus and similar otherwise, and had it up to 135 due to some jackass in a Audi A8L.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by 01sunfire01
hahaha i no how you feel i took my 115hp sunfire 2 door 4 speed auto to qubec over the summer with me my gf and my bros gf in it with all are stuff in the trunk and a 12inch sub in the trunk and full tank of gas. we got into MASS where the Adirondack Mountains are and i had to keep up with my dad in the grand prix. it was a very nice ride everyone fell asleep and made it all the way from CT to the canada line on 1 tank of gas.
Sorry, hate to be a killjoy... the Adirondack Mountains are in northern New York State, no where near Massachusetts. I know, I experience the Adirondacks on a daily basis.
<----

The mountains in Massachusetts are the Berkshires.

Sorry, just had to make a little correction.

Scott
Old 05-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Fail Less.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i drive my ss/sc 610 miles to maryland once a month and i also have no complaints. but the handling on an SS/SC is VERY different than that of an LS. most of you above who are calling the original poster an idiot are also SS/SC drivers so you are not in the same situation.