General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Make Fun of me all you want.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make Fun of me all you want.....

O.K. ... today i went to the Chevy dealership by my house and i told them i was interested in a Cobalt SS S/C. i spoke to the sales person and he was friendly, but half retarded....(he kept telling me how big the TURBO is) ....ne how he set me up in one for a test drive and i drove it for 5 miles... Although i was impressed by it being the fastest "4 banger" i've ever driven. I was not too impressed w/the quality of the S/C SS's interior...the leather seemed almost plasticy, no arm rest, did not like the guages and i did like the way the clutch felt but i just couldnt see my self driving the car in a few inches of snow in the winter, or in heavy day to day traffic with that grabby clutch.So when i returned to the dealership from beating the hell out of the SS S/C ( ) i told the salesman that i was very impressed with the car as a toy, but if i am going to be driving it daily for 3yrs. i would like something a little more comfy and easy to drive... At this point he told me he had just the thing for me....he pulled up in an SS NON S/C... At first i was like WTF no way, this thing must totally suck...when i looked around i noticed that not too much was different on the outside besides the picknic table wing. when i went in the inside i was quite happy to see the same aluminum dash, much better looking WHITE faced guages, an arm rest and suprisingly comfortable cloth seats! when i asked him how much he said "About 50 bucks a month cheaper" i was stunned... but he would not let me drive it because they were so close to closing. my 2 questions are.....1. is the SS non S/C MUCH slower than the S/C SS? and 2. will/do they make performance parts for this motor?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes and yes
Old 09-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Python467
O.K. ... today i went to the Chevy dealership by my house and i told them i was interested in a Cobalt SS S/C. i spoke to the sales person and he was friendly, but half retarded....(he kept telling me how big the TURBO is) ....ne how he set me up in one for a test drive and i drove it for 5 miles... Although i was impressed by it being the fastest "4 banger" i've ever driven. I was not too impressed w/the quality of the S/C SS's interior...the leather seemed almost plasticy, no arm rest, did not like the guages and i did like the way the clutch felt but i just couldnt see my self driving the car in a few inches of snow in the winter, or in heavy day to day traffic with that grabby clutch.So when i returned to the dealership from beating the hell out of the SS S/C ( ) i told the salesman that i was very impressed with the car as a toy, but if i am going to be driving it daily for 3yrs. i would like something a little more comfy and easy to drive... At this point he told me he had just the thing for me....he pulled up in an SS NON S/C... At first i was like WTF no way, this thing must totally suck...when i looked around i noticed that not too much was different on the outside besides the picknic table wing. when i went in the inside i was quite happy to see the same aluminum dash, much better looking WHITE faced guages, an arm rest and suprisingly comfortable cloth seats! when i asked him how much he said "About 50 bucks a month cheaper" i was stunned... but he would not let me drive it because they were so close to closing. my 2 questions are.....1. is the SS non S/C MUCH slower than the S/C SS? and 2. will/do they make performance parts for this motor?
Sorry to hear you did not really like the SS S/C. Most people that check them out and go for a test drive end up buying one

As for the 2.4 SS, its basically a compromise between the high performance SS Supercharged version of the Cobalt and the regular LS/LT models. Its got less aggressive styling, less features, and less power than the SS S/C, but its also about $3-$4K cheaper. The SS should stand for "Semi-Sport", because thats pretty much what it is as compared to the rest of the Cobalt models.

The performance of the 2.4 SS is a notch above the standard models, but not very close to the 2.0 SS S/C, which does 0-60 in 6 seconds flat. The 2.4 SS should do 0-60 in the low 7's, which is definitely a respectable time. The 2.4 is rated at 170 HP, and will most likely dyno at about 150HP to the wheels. The SS S/C is rated at 205HP, but most dyno at about 210HP at the wheels, meaning the actual flywheel rating is more like 240HP - they are underrated from the factory.

Based on what you've described in your post, I'd say the 2.4 SS would definitely be a good choice for you. Its an easier everyday driver, its costs a few grand less than an S/C model, you like the interior better (personal preference), and its still got planty of power to be a fun car. Clutch is also less grabby than the 2.0 S/C, which addresses one of your complaints. Aftermarket for the Cobalt should really start to take off within the next year, and I'm sure the 2.4 engine will be included in all that
Old 09-09-2005, 12:43 AM

All I got to say is that it's whatever makes you happy. I was thrilled when I got my Base Coupe. And I just rolled out from under a 2002 Cavalier. It is a night and day difference let me tell ya.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:34 AM

I don't see how the nasty cloth interior of the Cobalt's impresses you. But I think the 2.4 is a better choice for you becuase you don't seem too concerned about sportiness, in both looks and performance.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by phxSS
I don't see how the nasty cloth interior of the Cobalt's impresses you. But I think the 2.4 is a better choice for you becuase you don't seem too concerned about sportiness, in both looks and performance.

have you actually driven the 2.4 ? its not as slow as 1 might think

im not saying its mid 14's fast , but it should run mid 15's with ease

you guys keep picking on me cause i like the 2.4 better , i just see more potental in the 2.4 than the 2.0 , and ive always thought the 2.0 was a mistake for a street motor

its a great race motor as all the imports in the IDRC have found out

but a 2.0 that redlines at 6500 and hasnt made full power yet has a problem , and its GM , now it if redlined at 7000 or 7200 it would be alot better

and i like the ride in the 2.4 ss , even the redline to me felt better than the ss/sc i drove , maybe it was the i drove , but its the only 1 i can compair to

something to me seamed like it was to heavy , maybe its just the suspension and the 18's , since they are different than both the 2.4ss and the redlines 17's
Old 09-09-2005, 03:20 AM

^^ lol uhh ok. My Focus had 170hp and 145 tq, and had VVT and all the stuff (and more) that the 2.4 has, and it was fun and all, but it was nowhere close to as quick as the cobalt. I'm betting the 2.4 isn't going to much different of an experience, so I don't feel a need to test drive it to make a comment.

Oh yea, and if you make the excuse "well the 2.4 has 18 tq more, so it's faster.." ehhhhhh (buzzer sound). my focus was lighter, and 80% of its torque came at 2200rpm.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:50 AM

I have the 05 LS coupe. If the non SC SS was available I would have gone for that.The only this I see different on the outsides between the SC and non SC is the 18" wheels and the wing and from what I'm reading on here that the wing impairs rearview vision. Gas would be another concern since premium gas is recommended in the SC car.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:08 PM

in all honestly , the focus no matter which model were all slow compaired to the rest of their compitition , in handling they are better than most

at firebird , alot of the highly modified ZX3's and the few svt's ive seen where lucky to hit low 16's high 15's

and in my g/fs 02 cavalier with the 2.2 eco and 5spd was running constant mid 15's with just a intake , her cav weight 2660 accoring to the scales at firebird

im not saying the 2.4 will our run the 2.0 ss/sc , but the 2.4 should make good mid 15's , maybe low 15's in good weather

id be will to wager a 2.2 5spd cobalt will give a focus a run for its money , if not kill it

ive yet to see a quick focus , ill give a honda better credit for being quick over a focus
Old 09-09-2005, 01:18 PM

Why is this topic posted twice?????
Old 09-09-2005, 01:54 PM

i just realized that too

LOL

no wonder i got lost
Old 09-09-2005, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by b-spot
Why is this topic posted twice?????
Sorry new to forums and stuff as i mentioned in my 1st post please bare w/me
Old 09-09-2005, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by phxSS
^^ lol uhh ok. My Focus had 170hp and 145 tq, and had VVT and all the stuff (and more) that the 2.4 has, and it was fun and all, but it was nowhere close to as quick as the cobalt. I'm betting the 2.4 isn't going to much different of an experience, so I don't feel a need to test drive it to make a comment.

Oh yea, and if you make the excuse "well the 2.4 has 18 tq more, so it's faster.." ehhhhhh (buzzer sound). my focus was lighter, and 80% of its torque came at 2200rpm.
And the cobalt 2.4L makes 92.64% of its tq (151lb-ft) at 2200rpm......what was your point again?
Engine graph
Why are you so determined to put down another version of the same car you drive?

Have you even researched this engine or did you just think "It's not S/C, it must be crap"

The supercahrged does 14.5's, and the 2.4 will do 15.1-3's, why are you so against it?