General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

mech vs electrical gauge??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mech vs electrical gauge??

I'm looking around to replace my current gauge setup which consists of water temp, oil pressure, and volts in the auto meter c2 gauges. The solid blue KILLS my eyes at night and I'm looking to change over to the cobalt series as i believe just the lines and numbers light up vs the hole background. But i was wondering, I'm looking for a full sweep electric and the cheapest i can find is 175$ or so. I can find a full sweep mech for like 60 shipped. whats the process/how to install a mech gauge and are there any +'s or -'s?
Old 07-27-2007, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A mechanical gauge set instead of having just wires that go to sensors have the senors in them. The water temp has a BIG funky line thats a royal pain in the ASS to snake thru the firwall. Oh yeah and you have to drill about a 1/2 hole in the firewall to get it thru too!
A oil presure gauge has an oil that runs from the engine to the gauge itself, the problem is that it also has 200+ degree oil in that line also! And if you ever talk to anyone who's blown that line it just plain sucks ass! Imagine 200degree oil shooting out the back of whereever you mount them at 50psi! Oh it makes a BIG MESS, and its hot!
The alt gauge is no big deal cause its just wires.

Did this help you?
Old 07-27-2007, 08:20 AM
Banned

well i knew that, just wondering as i cannot find a full sweep electric under 175$ lol but after that dramaization, i think ill stick with electric short or full
Old 07-28-2007, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had three cars with mechanical gauges an never had a problem. I don't know why people are afraid of blowing a line, I have never met anyone that has and I know quite a few people that race everything from sprint cars to drag bikes. I say save your money and buy full sweep mechanicals.
Dennis
Old 07-28-2007, 07:51 AM

Well the mechanicals might be cheaper, but their a lot more of a pain in the ass to install.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by denniss
I have had three cars with mechanical gauges an never had a problem. I don't know why people are afraid of blowing a line, I have never met anyone that has and I know quite a few people that race everything from sprint cars to drag bikes. I say save your money and buy full sweep mechanicals.
Dennis
My friend Marty in his 1972 Maverik Grabber had the oil line blow off and shot 200+ degree oil all over his bare legs when he was wereing shorts, burned the **** out of him! Trust me dude you only need to see those nasty ass oil burns ONCE to never want to use mechanical gauges again.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:14 AM

Well, I have a friend that had a cousin killed by a exploding clutch at half track at Union Grove Dragaway as a spectator. Does that mean I should stay away from clutches or drag strips? If mechanicals are installed properly they are safe, accurate, cheaper and in my opinion just as easy to install as electrics.
Dennis
Old 07-29-2007, 07:28 AM

Well, I have a friend that had a cousin killed by a exploding clutch at half track at Union Grove Dragaway as a spectator. Does that mean I should stay away from clutches or drag strips? If mechanicals are installed properly they are safe, accurate, cheaper and in my opinion just as easy to install as electrics.
Dennis
NOOOOOO that means he didn't have a clutch shield as required by the NHRA. Apples and oranges dude.

His was installed properly it had just been in there for about 8 years, the line got old and broke. Nothing improper was done and he had no warning before it went off and put him in the hospital.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:54 AM

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think this happens enough to not use a mechanical oil pressure gauge. S--- happens, thats why I think my little story is relevant.
Not important, but if I remember right, the car was a alcohol funnycar and it was at a NHRA sanctioned race about 25 years ago.
It looks like mkulrey13 has bought full sweep Autometer cobalt electrics. Nice choice ,I have seen them and the look very nice.
Dennis
Old 07-29-2007, 05:35 PM

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think this happens enough to not use a mechanical oil pressure gauge. S--- happens, thats why I think my little story is relevant.
Not important, but if I remember right, the car was a alcohol funnycar and it was at a NHRA sanctioned race about 25 years ago.
It looks like mkulrey13 has bought full sweep Autometer cobalt electrics. Nice choice ,I have seen them and the look very nice.
Dennis
He said any +'s or -'s so I gave them to him. True its rare but it falls under his question.

I'm not gonna argue that mechanicals are cheaper and work just as good cause they do, Hell I've hd them on most of my own cars at one time or another but the -'s need to be pointed out too.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Banned

ok ladies thanks for helping me . I decided to go with electric ones as all the wires are already ran just gotta take out old gauges and put new in. I did score a electric full sweep water temp for 52$ compared to MSRP at 170+. The cobalt series lights just the numbers and needles as the C2 lights the hole thing and makes it hard to drive at night let alone take a left hand turn. I'm selling the whole series basically. So if anyone wants C2 gauges just PM me.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by mkulrey13
ok ladies thanks for helping me . I decided to go with electric ones as all the wires are already ran just gotta take out old gauges and put new in. I did score a electric full sweep water temp for 52$ compared to MSRP at 170+. The cobalt series lights just the numbers and needles as the C2 lights the hole thing and makes it hard to drive at night let alone take a left hand turn. I'm selling the whole series basically. So if anyone wants C2 gauges just PM me.
Awesome man glad to hear it! Post pics asap!
Old 07-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Banned

Will Do