General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

My First Car Story

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My First Car Story

I everyone, I am new to this forum, and I have been watching this forum running for about 3 weeks. I have noticed a lot of people on here are very nice and helpful. My name is Josh, and I live in Pennsylvania, USA. I am 19 years old, and I just got my first car in May of 2006. The car which I bought was my dream car, my favorite car. Chevy Cobalt. I wanted to get the SS but due to higher bills, I settled for the other lower cobalt. I purchased the Cobalt LS Coupe 2006. I have a reason why I did not get the SS. I have no one in my family who could co-sign for me, so I had to do everything on my own. I went to sutliff chevrolet on jonestown road in harrisburg, and I talked to a dealer who was very nice and helpful to me, and he did his job very well.. I showed him which car I liked, and I then told him how much I could afford a month and then he went and called the bank for me, but the bank was about to close that day. So he told me to call him the next morning, and I was so excited I could barely sleep. Next morning bright and early, I hear the phone ring, and he tells me congradulations Josh, we got a deal for you. The funny thing was only one bank would approve me for a no Co-Signer deal. See I have been building credit since my earlier teen years with bank loans for computer stuff because I am into computers a lot, and thats what I am going to college for in the fall.. So I then go up to pick the car up, and do all the paper work and all, and bammmm the car is mine. Clean, washed and waxed.. Looks prettier than anything I have ever seen. This is my first car, and I got my license about 2-3 months before I turned 19. I must say I do love the car. And already it has almost 1,400 miles on it. One thing I don't no much about cars, but with all these miles, I am still getting 23-24 MPG on the highway which is what I usually use the car for, because my girlfriend lives about 30-40 minutes away. I bought a auto, even though I wanted a stick, because my parents own 2 cavaliers, a 2001 and 1995, and the 1995 is falling apart. And this way if their car breaks down, they can then use my car. I am very generous that way. They couldnt co-sign because of their own choices and due to some personal reasons, And I wanted to do it all on my own.
I must say I really like the car, and all I do sometimes is go outside and look at the most admiring piece of machinery ever built in my eyes.

I also have a system for it being put in most likely tomorrow if my cousin finds his amp. I have 2 (10 inch JBL's that are I believe 400-500 watts a piece, and they do hit hard.) I don't need no 3000 watt system, just something to put out some nice bass sounds and all.. My cousin is providing me with a amp that is about 600 or so watts bridged, and he is also giving me a external crossover to give more power.. Also he is giving me all the wires, but today he told me he is going to hook it all together for me. He got a rca to wire adapter to hook it into the factory head unit.

I have provided some pictures for everyone to see my new baby. The first set of pictures is to show what it looked like when I got it. And the second set is to show the washed and waxed car with new exhaust tip and debadged sutliff logo and GM logos.

Set 1:

The first pic is me of course with the car.

Set 2:

Old 06-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Banned

Welcome to the "purple" cobalt club!
Old 06-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Banned

looks good man congrats to you. looks nice and clean good luck and have fun and welome to the fourms
Old 06-07-2006, 12:37 AM

Thank you Thank you I really do like this forum, and soon I plan on putting in a cool air intake.. One thing I like about my family is all of them are mechanics (except for parents and me.)...
Old 06-07-2006, 12:48 AM

I work for a Chev Dealer in Ca. (parts manager) Your story would make a great write up for my sales guys.
lol
Its so nice to be able to drive a Chevy and be PROUD of it!
Have fun with your new ride.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:59 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he bought a purple one that is so awesome! I almost got one too ,well i sorta did w/ the laser blue b/c it looks purple @ dusk & dawn. Its even better b/c they arent using that color after 06 so its "rare" lol. But congrats and good luck you will love the car i promise.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:38 AM

Yea I like the color, looks great in the day time, I can see myself very well from looking at it in the outside, and I do love the car, and I havnt had a problem with it yet. I did leave some details out from the story.

Like the next day when he called my house to tell me the deal was through, He told me he was calling around all day to get me the lowest price possible, and he got me a very good deal. Also he told me that the insurance company I picked was great, and I picked state farm cause my family loves them and my dad used to due that kind of line of word for car insurance companies and state farm is what my family said to get. I had the honor role and I had driving lessons way prior to all this, so that dropped a lot of money off my over all insurance. I knew my hard earned school time would get me somewhere good other than college. I pay under 150 a month for insurance, and remember I am only 19 so insurance is way higher for my age bracket, but back to what I was saying about my dealership guy, He called me 3 times that morning and was like Josh I am taking a shower and I will be at the dealership at this time, and that day he called was also his day off I believe, so I met him down their. When I bought the car, he showed me how to use everything, and what all the parts were for. He also told me the dealership would send me a huge box of peanutes, which 2-3 weeks later I receieved them and wow the box was huge, like 15 inches long or so, and man those peanuts rocked, and me and my mom were chowing down on them. I love the car though, and I couldn't of asked for a better dealership guy, he did a wonderful job and tryed to get me everything as fast as possible cause he new I needed a car quick for college and all, so at least I had time to learn the cars movements and learned the car well before college.. Man I am set, I got a wonderful and supporting family and girlfriend, great carreer ahead of me, nice car, nice college I am going to in the fall. What more could a human ask for. And if you did want to put my story in that paper or the writeup for your employees, that would be awesome, you would have to send me a copy of it so that I could frame it, I never had a story written up about me for a business so a copy would be great

Edit: I also pay the car fine with a part time job, and I pay it all on my own, thank goodness for call off's at my work, gives me extra money for car stuff.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:46 AM

Congrats on the car. Not really a fan of the color, but as long as you like it, I guess that is what is important.

I hope it makes a good first car! Welcome to the site.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:17 AM

Looks nice! Welcome to our abode.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Banned

welcome.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:28 AM

Welcome to the site..
Old 06-07-2006, 08:42 AM

congratz on your buy man keep he rin good shape
Old 06-07-2006, 09:00 AM

Cobalt4 life, where you in PA. My name is Josh too, I'm near Philly.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:18 AM

haha i think we have the same tip...

so welcome to the "i have a super sweet tip club
Old 06-07-2006, 12:19 PM

Nice car, good color.

Not sure I'm feeling the noisemaker on the back, though... How does it sound?
Old 06-07-2006, 12:26 PM
MaJ

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Nice car, good color.

Not sure I'm feeling the noisemaker on the back, though... How does it sound?
That looks to me as though it's simply the Chrome tip from the SS taht was slapped on the base model exhaust.

At the dealership I delt with, they had an LS with the SS wing, and the SS tip.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:27 PM

Nice and welcome to the site have fun with your car and take care of it.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:55 PM

Actually it is not a ss tip.. I bought the tip at pep boys for about 15 bucks and they put it on. And it does make some sound difference. I am getting a new muffler with exhaust when I run into the money, probably a magnaflow universel or so. But I do want to get the ss wing for my car to, because I can barely even see out the back of my back window so the SS wont matter much more in the eyes of visibility to me, plus I love the look of the SS wing. A few purchases I want to make to the car are:
1: MagnaFlow exhaust
2: Cold Air intake
3: SS wing
4: Chrome Door handles
5: Get my system all hooked in.
6: Set of nice cheaper rims that I can afford lol.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:01 PM

If you think your visability is limited now, just wait till you get that wing on.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt4Life
Actually it is not a ss tip.. I bought the tip at pep boys for about 15 bucks and they put it on. And it does make some sound difference. I am getting a new muffler with exhaust when I run into the money, probably a magnaflow universel or so. But I do want to get the ss wing for my car to, because I can barely even see out the back of my back window so the SS wont matter much more in the eyes of visibility to me, plus I love the look of the SS wing. A few purchases I want to make to the car are:
1: MagnaFlow exhaust
2: Cold Air intake
3: SS wing
4: Chrome Door handles
5: Get my system all hooked in.
6: Set of nice cheaper rims that I can afford lol.

then yea, it's probably the same tip, excellent choice...lol
Old 06-07-2006, 02:09 PM
MaJ

I agree that the SS wing is very nice, but for me, seeing it on the base model body is quite depressing.. It doesn't flow with the car, and unless it's teamed up with at the very least a ground effects kit, it will not look good to me. BUT! that said, my opinion means little in this situation.

GL with the car, I hope it treats you well.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:16 PM

Congrats...Looks good!

HAVE FUN
Old 06-07-2006, 02:57 PM

Welcome to the site. Sounds like your salesman was pretty good to you.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:08 PM

Very nice story. Best of luck to you and your car. Hopefully you will learn everything you need to know from this site

PS...don't let people bring you down