General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

my opion so far....

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my opion so far....

So I have been browsing the site alot and learning up alot about the cobalt SS. Come spring I am buying a new car and have narrowed down some choices. The srt-4, cobalt SS, and civic SI, WRX. So far the Cobalt SS seems to be the one im most intrested in next to the srt-4. The WRX would be nice but they are so expenisive. The srt-4 seems like it can make such huge power over the cobalt but the srt-4 looks so bad and has a shitty interior and its 4-door wich im not very keen on. the cobalt SS has some nice styling to it interior and exterior. Also the fact that the cobalt SS has great handling is nice but that doesn't really concern me a whole lot as I'm more into straight line dragging. From what I been reading the cobalt SS runs mid to high 14's stock. Now I have riddin and raced against a cobalt SS s/c before. My car is a 1990 toyota supra turbo. we did 2 races. The first one I won by half a car length and the second one he won by a car length. It's no doubt the car is faster then mine but he seemed to have some launching issues. I would almost every time get a good car length jump on him. He would just sit there and spin. So that concerns me that the car has some problems with launching. I have owned a FWD car before a Ford Probe GT with turbo and it had a similary problem with launching. His cobalt SS didn't have the sports package with LSD. Now If I buy a cobalt SS I will get the sports package wich comes with The fancy seats and LSD. Now my question is will the LSD help with launching and improve 0-60ft times???? Also is It possible to get this car into the 13's with bolts such as intake and exhaust and mabye a better pulley??? If 13's where possible that be more then enough to sastify me. I also like the fact that the engine has forged internals wich sounds like it can take some high hp number relibaly. I also like the fact its something liek 2700 lbs and a 4 banger. I have a inline 6 in a car that wieghs close to 3800lbs. when I used to own my 89 probe GT it was alot lighter and was good on gas and it had some good go to it. Though I have never been around a supercharger and most of my cars have had turbo. I like the fact that there is no turbo lag but also power isn't as easy to make as with a turbo. I Hope to get out and test drive some cars come spring just to give me an idea on how all these cars feel.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:38 AM

Yeah I am with you on that four door note. I can never do a four door.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only four door I have ever owned is the Lancer OZ. Now as far as a four door sports car....EVO BABY! I was checkin out the new Evo IX tuesday while my lancer got serviced. Man are they HOTT /drool. I so can't wait to own one of them.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:46 AM
Banned

It's possible to get the car into 13's with bolt ons. Stage kits def get you in the 13's.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:58 AM

The cobalt strikes a pretty decent mix of power as well as daily driveability, it's more "civilized" if you will, when compared to an SRT-4. For ***** out power go with an SRT-4, for less power but a better daily driver go with the Cobalt. Neither of the domestics are going to have the same refinement of the Civic SI, the numbers I've seen posted from the Civic SI's reviews indicate it's no slouch performance wise, but I honestly think you're better off with a domestic if you want to drag race, the FI is already there so it's alot cheaper to get more power out of them, you can get plenty of power out of a honda engine, but it's gonna cost you more.

If I were in your shoes I'd buy a WRX, mostly because I live in Canada and we get shitty ass weather here during the winter months and AWD is great for bad weather. That being said, they're not really the best car for drag racing, to get a WRX to produce the numbers you're looking for at the drag strip you're going to have to launch HARD (5-6k clutch drop) and this is hell on their drivetrains and you're gonna break something sooner or later, this car wasn't really designed with drag racing in mind, though I've heard the new ones with the larger engine do have alot more go off the line.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:01 AM

You probably won't find a new SRT-4 since they stopped making them, unless you are looking at one of those new calibers.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:17 AM
360 L337 User

those thinkgs are ugly as ****^^^^
Old 12-16-2005, 06:06 PM

I would get the SS or the '06 si, both are very nice rides. But like a poster said above, the si is going to be more expensive to modify than the SS, and Honda doesn't have warranted "stage kits" like Chevy and Dodge do. The SRT-4 is no longer in production, so you can throw that option out, unless you wanna buy one used.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:44 PM

I'd be hella weary of buying a used SRT-4....you can pretty much bet it's been driven ***** out all the time...as there's really no point in buying one otherwise, if you could find one with really low miles you might be ok...but I wouldn't even think about it if the warranty was up.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:33 AM

if you're worried about getting a good launch and good 60's, just get a set of drag slicks...or even drag radials for the track. a good set of motor mounts would also help you 100%. Honestly, I think if you did 0 mods, just got the slicks and poly mounts, you could crack into the 13's.