General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Need Advice for future Cobalt owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice for future Cobalt owner

Ok so ive been planning on getting a new car for a while now and checked everything from a mustang to audi.

But i fell in love with the cobalt (2 door) and have been browsing this website with pictures of peoples cobalt's and finally made a decision that I WANT A COBALT.

I just would like some questions answered.

1: Is the car fun to drive?

2: Should i get automatic or manual

3: What is the difference between SS-LT and LE?

4:Say i wanted a 06-07 cobalt, what is a reasonable price i should be paying?

5: How much does it cost to lower the car, not too much though.

6:how would i go about shaving the emblems, and if i do it, won't their be holes?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
fun to drive? depends on what model you get.

SS is the fast one. yes it is alot of fun to drive! you should be able to get a used turbo cobalt ss for around 12-15k
the SS's are all 5 speeds and automatics aren't as fun anyways. 05-07 and price of lowering... dunno some others may chime in on that one
Old 04-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is an overpowered go kart a kick to drive? These things can handle amazing and have a great power to weight ratio.

An LE is a non ss ecomomy model that for little money can be built strong.

An SS/SC is the supercharged SS. Also referred to as an LSJ. An SS/TC is the turbo model, often referred to as an LNF.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 PM

I have the 2007 SS 2.4. its not as fast as the LSJ or the LNF but it still has plenty of power with bolt ons and I enjoy every minute of driving it they come in Auto or manual and are fairly easy to add a turbo or supercharger setup if you are looking for a project. Hope this helps.

Last edited by GRok25; 04-15-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
Is an overpowered go kart a kick to drive? These things can handle amazing and have a great power to weight ratio.

An LE is a non ss ecomomy model that for little money can be built strong.

An SS/SC is the supercharged SS. Also referred to as an LSJ. An SS/TC is the turbo model, often referred to as an LNF.
how would you go about taking an LE and building it strong? Can you make it look like an ss from outside?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:32 PM

I have an LS, automatic, not much fun, but where is the fun with automatic trans..

Get the SS, SC/TC
Make it MT as MT your actually driving, not the auto trans in automatics.

I would personally get the 06 model as all the newer ones have that DRL issue (low voltage day time running lights). Not an issue for the stock headlights, but if you plan on getting HIDs and want to keep your DRL, get the 05/06, if you don't care, newer the better.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:04 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

I have an 08 SS with no DRL issues. I've got HIDS too. No idea what you're describing.....

Yes, an LE can be fitted with all of the SS body kit parts. they're interchangeable, but if You're going to invest in that, then then get a supercharger or turbocharer kit on top of it you could have bought an SS to start with for less money.

2008, HIDs, DRLS, no issues?

Old 04-15-2012, 11:09 PM

I have an 08 SS with no DRL issues. I've got HIDS too. No idea what you're describing.....

Yes, an LE can be fitted with all of the SS body kit parts. they're interchangeable, but if You're going to invest in that, then then get a supercharger or turbocharer kit on top of it you could have bought an SS to start with for less money.

2008, HIDs, DRLS, no issues?
These are issues I have only heard about from several Cobalt owners, the issue is quiet easy to fix, you simply pull the DRL fuse, but then you have no daytime running lights, most people don't care, but for picky people like me who want to get halos and LEDs in my headlights and want them to come on with DRL, it would be an issue for those with 07 and newer Balts.

Check your DRL fuse and see if its in, because the constant low voltage could fry your HID ballasts, your fuse it probably pulled though.

I would appreciate some information on this as I'm thinking about buying a newer Balt, I would want HIDs, are you sure you have your DRLs running with HIDs?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by CroRupt

5: How much does it cost to lower the car, not too much though.

6:how would i go about shaving the emblems, and if i do it, won't their be holes?
Springs will be cheaper around $200-$300 Coilovers will go lower but will cost you about $800-$1500 (Unless you find cheaper used parts)

No holes everything is attached with adhesive, no screws. you can easily remove embleems/badges with fishing wire and some degunker .
Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

I promise you, the DRL fuse is not disturbed. It's there. It's not blown.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:28 PM

I promise you, the DRL fuse is not disturbed. It's there. It's not blown.
And how long have you have the HIDs for?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by GRok25
Springs will be cheaper around $200-$300 Coilovers will go lower but will cost you about $800-$1500 (Unless you find cheaper used parts)

No holes everything is attached with adhesive, no screws. you can easily remove embleems/badges with fishing wire and some degunker .
is there a large difference between springs and coilovers?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by johnccc
And how long have you have the HIDs for?
Oh for ****'s sakes dude. Do you want my name, rank, service number and shoe size too?

The DRLS work fine with HIDS. If pictures of that are not good enough for you then there is just no satisfying you. In the mean time though, I have them and you don't. Yet you're trying to tell someone else it doesn't work. Makes a **** ton of sense, doesn't it? You heard from a guy who heard from a guy that posted on a forum somewhere.........
Old 04-15-2012, 11:43 PM

i have coilovers and i love them, they handel like a dream, i only got them over the springs because my front struts were leaking so i needed struts anyways. as for ride hight there are plenty of comparison threads with tons of pix floating around.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:44 PM

Oh for ****'s sakes dude. Do you want my name, rank, service number and shoe size too?

The DRLS work fine with HIDS. If pictures of that are not good enough for you then there is just no satisfying you. In the mean time though, I have them and you don't. Yet you're trying to tell someone else it doesn't work. Makes a **** ton of sense, doesn't it? You heard from a guy who heard from a guy that posted on a forum somewhere.........
D, you have to love it! Someone with no experience, who heard from a guy who's sister dated a guy that worked at honda who had a friend who once sucked off a unicorn....

-Alex
Old 04-15-2012, 11:45 PM

never did just springs but im sure they work fine as well.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:46 PM

Whats your price range? I didn't see it anywhere
Old 04-15-2012, 11:47 PM

Whhy are there posts about headlights floating around this thread lol
Old 04-15-2012, 11:47 PM

All of those questions could of been solved by using the search button.

In before the lock.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:49 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

The emblem on the grille has two holes. You're right though, the rest are on with adhesive.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:53 PM

1: Is the car fun to drive? No

2: Should i get automatic or manual? Power Glide

3: What is the difference between SS-LT and LE? The Rims

4: Say i wanted a 06-07 cobalt, what is a reasonable price i should be paying? 28k

5: How much does it cost to lower the car, not too much though. However much your local hardware store charges for a saw

6:how would i go about shaving the emblems, and if i do it, won't their be holes? Use a lighter to melt them off
Old 04-16-2012, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by GRok25
never did just springs but im sure they work fine as well.
8-13k

Originally Posted by matt638
1: Is the car fun to drive? No

2: Should i get automatic or manual? Power Glide

3: What is the difference between SS-LT and LE? The Rims

4: Say i wanted a 06-07 cobalt, what is a reasonable price i should be paying? 28k

5: How much does it cost to lower the car, not too much though. However much your local hardware store charges for a saw

6:how would i go about shaving the emblems, and if i do it, won't their be holes? Use a lighter to melt them off
comedian

Last edited by CroRupt; 04-16-2012 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-16-2012, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Cobaltz
All of those questions could of been solved by using the search button.

In before the lock.
uhh not really, i'm a nooby when it comes to modifying vehicles, and trust me i've tried searching, but everyone on here a pro so its hard to understand what people are trying to say for me

just need it simpified.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:24 AM

There is no need to be a complete d1ck about it dude, I just want to know some information, I have told you I have no direct information on the issue and asking you, as an 07 or newer cobalt owner for information and you are simply been a d1ck about it.

Jesus Christ, forget it, I will just have to ask someone who is not such a douchebag then.

I am not telling someone else it does not work, I'm just saying there are some people who have issues with 07 and newer models. I heard the DRL voltage can fry ballasts over time, so thus I ask how long you have them for, instead of a simple answer you be a complete douche and talk ****. I'm not here to be satisfied, I was just asking you if you could confirm "You heard from a guy who heard from a guy that posted on a forum somewhere........." was an actual fact. Wow, what a douche you are.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 AM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Yes, I'm being a douche. You're spreading misinformation based upon nothing more than hearsay and followed it up by telling me that I'm so ******* stupid that I yanked my DRL fuse even without knowing it.

But I'm the douche.

Mind you not once was this framed as a question, and you're not trying to learn, you're telling another new guy an untruth framed as fact.

And I called you out on it.

But I'm a douche.

I'm perfectly happy to live with that.

And now that I am indeed dumber for having read and responded to your post I'll be moving on.

Quick Reply: Need Advice for future Cobalt owner