General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

New 5yr warranty on 2007 models means be EXTRA careful considering Mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 5yr warranty on 2007 models means be EXTRA careful considering Mods

The good news...5yr warranty on 2007 models....

The bad news...I would be very careful about applying mods to a Cobalt for FIVE YEARS because they might tie back some to try to say it caused any warranty issues with the cars....

Example: "dealer says....."
that short shifter led to your transmission problems....
That gauge you put in led to your electrical problems
That intake you changed caused your engine problems.
Those headlights you messed with screwed up your electrical system...

And...I would now get in writing SOMEWHERE from SOMEONE official that having a Stage "whatever" kit installed in your car won't mess with the warranty...

Reason...the warranty is now been kicked up in value. You don't want to do anything to sabotage it....

So...all mods must be done with the consideration of how someone might interpret their effect on the warranty....

Remember, with a 5 yr warranty, age alone without mods can affect a car...you don't need to give a dealer an escape clause with a mod they could point to....

Yes, and I know all that crap about you have to PROVE the MOD caused the warranty issue...trust me, the dealer/manufacturer has the big guns in the legal area...they can make you wait and feel the pain...they won't be suffering while you are without your car for some reason while you litigate, or go thru arbitration....

SO, with an extended warranty there is much more financial pressure to consider keeping the car "stock"
Old 09-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i have a 5 yr warrenty on my 05.. i dont think its new....
Old 09-06-2006, 12:44 PM

dealer cant put any balm on any mod you do unless it was a direct link tot he problem... if you ahve engine problem and it has to do with the pistons they cant go the intake had to do with it... unless they can link it tot he problem and prove it they cant balm it on any mod....
Old 09-06-2006, 12:50 PM

I know that manufacturers watch aggregate warranty claims....I bet SS/SC's have higher than average warranty claims due to the nature of the car. This would increase if the term of the warranty is extended....

So, to increase profits, I imagine Cobalt SS/SC's would probably be under the microscope after a while to DENY claims as much as possible.

plyboy-illest, you may have a "wrong" view of "justice". In reality, it is easy for the dealer to say "no" on a warranty claim, and then make the user run through hoops "proving" otherwise. Imagine your car is DEAD for some reason....dealer claims you did it, and won't fix it under warranty. Can you go for weeks...months....maybe longer...while the car sits, and you make payments on it? most can't, they have to fold.

Plus, most arbitrators are not car mechanics. If a certified mechanic tells an arbitrator "Yup, his mod caused the warranty issue" and you don't bring your own certified expert, you are DEAD...you will be ruled against....
Old 09-06-2006, 01:12 PM

This is NOT the GM warranty...but with most extended warrantys, the following items are excluded...this is an EXAMPLE only....

This Vehicle Service Contract Provides NO Coverage or Benefits for the following:

A. THE FOLLOWING PARTS: BATTERY; SHOCK ABSORBERS; MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH ASSEMBLY; FRICTION CLUTCH DISC AND PRESSURE PLATE; THROWOUT BEARING; MANUAL AND HYDRAULIC LINKAGES; SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS (INCLUDING AIR BAGS); GLASS; LENSES; SEALED BEAMS; LIGHT BULBS; BRAKE ROTORS AND DRUMS; ALL EXHAUST COMPONENTS; AND THE FOLLOWING EMISSION COMPONENTS: EGR VALVE; EGR PURGE VALVE/SOLENOIDS; EGR THERMAL VACUUM SWITCH; VACUUM CANISTER; EFE THERMAL VACUUM SWITCH; EFE VALVE; VAPOR RETURN LINES/VALVES; AIR PUMP/LINES/VALVES; DECELERATION VALVE; ANTI BACKFIRE VALVE; ELECTRONIC CHOKE; FUEL FILLER CAP; CATALYTIC CONVERTER/FILTERING/SENSORS; AND EMISSION VAPOR SENSORS ; WEATHER STRIPS; TRIM; MOLDINGS; BRIGHT METAL; CHROME; UPHOLSTERY AND CARPET; PAINT; OUTSIDE ORNAMENTATION; BUMPERS; BODY SHEET METAL AND PANELS; TIRES; AND WHEELS/RIMS; GPS NAVIGATION SYSTEMS; PHONE SYSTEMS AND TV/VIDEO/ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEMS.

B. MAINTENANCE SERVICES AND PARTS DESCRIBED IN YOUR VEHICLE'S OWNER'S MANUAL AS SUPPLIED BY THE MANUFACTURER AND OTHER NORMAL MAINTENANCE SERVICES AND PARTS INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO: ALIGNMENTS; WHEEL BALANCING; TUNEUPS; SPARK PLUGS AND SPARK PLUG WIRES; GLOW PLUGS; HOSES; DRIVE BELTS; BRAKE PADS; LININGS AND SHOES; DRUMS AND ROTORSAND WIPER BLADES. FILTERS, LUBRICANTS, COOLANTS, FLUIDS AND REFRIGERANTS WILL BE COVERED ONLY IF REPLACEMENT IS REQUIRED DUE TO A COVERED FAILURE.

C. ANY COMPONENT NOT COVERED BY THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER FOR THE FULL TERM OF THE VEHICLE WARRANTY IS EXCLUDED.

D. ANY FAILURE RESULTING FROM COLLISION; INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL FIRE; THEFT; VANDALISM; RIOT; EXPLOSION; LIGHTNING; EARTHQUAKE; FREEZING; RUST OR CORROSION; WINDSTORM; HAIL; WATER OR FLOOD; ACTS OF GOD; SALT; ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE; CONTAMINATION OR LOSS OF FLUIDS, FUELS, COOLANTS OR LUBRICANTS.

E. ANY FAILURE CAUSED BY MISUSE; ABUSE; NEGLIGENCE; LACK OF NORMAL MAINTENANCE REQUIRED BY THE MANUFACTURER'S MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE FOR YOUR VEHICLE; IMPROPER SERVICING BY YOU AFTER THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS CONTRACT; SLUDGE BUILD-UP OR NOT MAINTAINING PROPER LEVELS OF LUBRICANTS AND/OR COOLANTS; OR NOT PROTECTING THE VEHICLE FROM FURTHER DAMAGE WHEN A FAILURE HAS OCCURRED.

F. ANY REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF A COVERED PART IF A FAILURE HAS NOT OCCURRED OR IF THE WEAR ON THAT PART HAS NOT EXCEEDED THE FIELD TOLERANCES PERMITTED BY THE MANUFACTURER.

G. IF ANY ALTERATIONS HAVE BEEN MADE TO YOUR VEHICLE OR YOU ARE USING, OR HAVE USED, YOUR VEHICLE IN A MANNER NOT RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURER. THIS WILL INCLUDE, BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO, THE FAILURE OF ANY CUSTOM OR ADD-ON PART; ANY FRAME OR SUSPENSION MODIFICATIONS; LIFT KITS; OVERSIZED/UNDERSIZED TIRES OR WHEELS; TRAILER HITCHES; AND OR MODIFICATIONS TO THE ENGINE, EMISSIONS OR EXHAUST SYSTEMS.

J. REPAIRS TO SEIZED OR DAMAGED ENGINES DUE TO CONTINUED OPERATION WITHOUT SUFFICIENT LUBRICANTS ORCOOLANT. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING CERTAIN THAT THE OIL AND TEMPERATURE WARNING LIGHTS/GAUGES ARE FUNCTIONING PROPERLY. YOU MUST PULL OFF THE ROAD IMMEDIATELY AND DISCONTINUE VEHICLE OPERATION WHEN EITHER OF THESE LIGHTS/GAUGES INDICATES INADEQUATE PROTECTION OR PERFORMANCE.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, the term has not changed at all, both are POWERTRAIN warranties. What has changed is the mileage.

05-06 Cobalts have a 5 year 60,000 powertrain warranty. This new warranty bumps it up to 100k.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:22 PM

Wow, that makes it even less valuable. Yuck.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:23 PM

My new 07 SS has the same warrenty that my moms base 06 Cobalt does. Besides GM performance parts makes tons of stuff for the Cobalt so theres not much need to go aftermarket anymore. They have an intake, different headlamps, color keyed parts, cross drilled slotted rotors and performance pads, and bunches more stuff that I can't remember right now. All GMPP stuff does not void warrenties as long as when its installed its either done by the dealership OR checked off by them that it was done correctly. I know here thers no charge for seeing if its done right so theres no good reasons not to get the GMPP stuff.

But good looking out none the less dude!
Old 09-06-2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jackalope
They have an intake, different headlamps, color keyed parts, cross drilled slotted rotors and performance pads, and bunches more stuff that I can't remember right now.
Intake, yes. Ive never seen those other parts through gmpp.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by tonio5555
Intake, yes. Ive never seen those other parts through gmpp.
You can either check out GM parts direct or go to a dealership and have them go to group 21 in the catalog for the cars. Group 21 is the accessory parts section. Or they should be hooked up to GM accessories.net thru the dealership so you can see color pics of the stuff.

They are supporting the Cobalt waaaaaaaaaaay better then they did the Cavi.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by plyboy-illest
dealer cant put any balm on any mod you do unless it was a direct link tot he problem... if you ahve engine problem and it has to do with the pistons they cant go the intake had to do with it... unless they can link it tot he problem and prove it they cant balm it on any mod....

i would say that an intake is a VERY good thing to look at if you're having a piston problem... now if the drivers side window stopped working, then yes, the intake wouldn't be a factor.