General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

New here with my new Cobalt SS, a few ?s

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New here with my new Cobalt SS, a few ?s

Hey Folks,

Well I'm coming from LSx turbocharging, I had an 02 SS with about 540 horses from a STS turbo kit. I used to work for STS as the Eastern Regional Manager helping them get going. I got sick of not making the money I wanted so I'm back at my boring corporate job.

Anyway loved my Camaro except I kind of got sick of tearing everything apart from the clutch to the rear end so I started searching for a new fun to drive car, the Sky Redline caught my eye and I put down a deposit for $500 a couple months ago. I was patiently waiting but then a drunk driver ran into the side of me on the freeware and I did a couple Nascar style spins before I hit the wall. I'm okay but the car was totalled. The Sky is still 3-4 months out so I got my old 70 Baja running and started driving that to work everyday. I have been driving it for about a month now as my daily driver, and have not been enjoying driving home in what feels like a blow dryer as it's been more then 100 degrees. Last Friday I lost a brake line and just about totalled myself this time as I had to drive through a redlight into a busy intersection with no brakes! After that fun experience I had to get a car and I couldn't wait for the Sky.

I test drove a bunch of cars,
The Evo and STi were nice but I wasn't too keen on spending $30K on a econobox sedan(they were ugly),
I liked the G5 but not enough power,
The GTO was great as always but I've turboed enough of them that I've kind of been there and done that.
Found a used CTS-V but it would have had to cut into my private flying budget,
New Civic SI but it was a torque-less wonder as always
New Golf, too heavy
350Z too much for marginal performance

And then I decided to run past the old Chev dealership and see how the SS Colbalt drove, I was a little turned off by the Amercan Rice wing but it was great. It handled awesome for what it is, great balance and plenty of pick up for 30MPG (was getting 35 on the freeway while test driving it). It felt much more solid then the Evo and the FWD wasn't too bad. Of course it can't get any traction off the line but it handles extremely well.

I beat the dealer up a bit on price, it stickered at $25,200 with a clear bra and window etching and we eventually worked it down to $19,600! And that's with the Recaros and limited slip. I got red because I'm sick of idiots running into me, my black/black SS Camaro had been rear ended twice before the drunk driver killed it. It has everything I need except for maybe heated seats but for $20K it's a great little car!

I'll miss having a turbo but the eaton roots supercharger is just about the second best way to get FI. A couple questions to start off with: Driving it yesterday afternoon as it was 90+ I was only getting 8-9 PSI, early this morning it was more like 10-12 PSI. Does it use a computer controlled regulator to blow off some boost with high intake temps? Or is boost just limited by density altitude, yesterday's density altitude was probably 7,000'.

Also it feels like it has much more then 205 crankHP, it feels more like 180-190 at the wheels or 230 crank HP, are these cars under rated like the SRT4s?

What is the usual dyno gain for a stage II kit? I wonder if I should get a 2.5" or 2.8" pulley for my elevation and then run the larger injectors with GM's tuning. Is the stage I reflash the exact same tune as the stage II reflash?

And... does anyone offer a rear sway bar by itself, the front SB is already pretty heavy but the rear needs something.

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:18 PM
Banned

Your probably pushing 210-215 to the wheels. Welcome to the sight. Enjoy the car.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:19 PM

You're first mod you may want to make will probably be to the clutch.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:20 PM

i know a lot of guys have to hit a few thousand miles before they can get full 12psi of boost. thats what happened with me. i thot they were joking or just bs-ing, but its true. i just hit 9k miles and now i see the boost go all the way to 12. as for the horsepower rating, i really do think that 205 is at the wheels, because most guys are dynoing at around that or even more STOCK. so yes, they are under-rated like the srts. im glad you like your new car. i had a turbo charged car before my ss/sc ( it was a 1989 chrysler lebaron GTS) and that turbo lag killed me. now im so happy cause i get instant power. hope this helped you some man.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I havent seen a single ss/sc dyno below 195 at the wheels.

these cars are very underrated.

the 205 stated by GM has been rumoured to be understated to help with insurance. though thats probably rumour.

but i can tell you with all certainty that most of the dynos ive seen on the ss/sc have been 200+ at the wheels.

some have been as high as 220. though thats likely a friendly dyno.

no doubt these puppys are underrated though.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:25 PM

Awsome.. the only question I absolutely know is the car is under rated. Plenty of folks have had the car dyno'd on NON mustang dynos and are pulling 210+ easy most around 213-215.

Just an fyi. These cars are SEVERELY under rated.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:35 PM

Anybody want to be #2 for a Sky Redline at the Santa Fe dealership?

$29,960, monsoon, leather, polished aluminum wheels 260HP/260Trq!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:16 PM

congrats on the purchase maybe my sig answers some of your questions
Old 08-01-2006, 06:41 AM

First off welcome to site , their actually quite a few F-body guys in here too . I think youll love the SS , imo ....its the perfect blend of daily driver vs. fun factor . Do yourself a favor right off the bat and JBP lower control arm bushings and both poly lower tranny mounts and engine mount . The violent wheel hop these cars have stock kills the fun , imo anyways . Skip the aftermarket CAI , and hang a K&N off the stock CAI and just leave the lower cap off . I made no more power with my injen CAI that did stock with a K&N . Our MAF's are extremely senstive to the location their in and greater airflow and can give you fits . If you have a spare LS1 , LT1 or LS6 maf ....save it . Thats the ticket to eliminate the ultra sensative stock maf . Rob ( FAST06SS ) on this board can recalibrate the maf tables to the F-body maf and IAT sensor . You will have to fab a 3.5 intake though . As far as the clutch , I'd just leave your in and see how it goes . Its seems hit or miss what the clutches per car are taking . Mine .....I beat the life outa my car , street racing and drag racing and my stock clutch held great up to about 26,000 miles . The density alt will effect the boost , its been in the high 90's low 100's with high humidty and during the day Ive barely been making 10.5 psi at wot , to where on a cooler day I get up to 13 psi @7000 rpm . Unless you worried about warranty concerns , I would look past the GM staged kits and just pic the best Intense kits that suits what ya want . But if you do go with the GM stuff , they do deliver on the power ....but virtue of having to have a safe rich tune , they leave alot on the table too . Unlike before , we have alot of different way to increase power ....just pic your passion

Good luck with the ride man
Old 08-02-2006, 11:42 AM

and then theres people like me who also drive the car like it was intended and the clutch goes at 5000 miles.. soo just be prepared and congrads on the purchase..

o and everything silverss/sc said, i concur
Old 08-02-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
damn dont you just hate when those private flying budgets intefere with something much more important like getting to work?

but now thats outta the way, single engine, twin, jet, rotary??? cause i woulda flownless and gotten a cts-v.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:19 PM

lol the car was intended to be driven hard enough to crap the clutch at 5k miles? That probably goes along the same lines as your tires should be bald on all four at only 10k miles.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on your purchase! Yes, the boost is computer controlled. HP Tuners is out, and that can be fixed! If you go with a 2.5" pulley, you'll want to get 60lb/hr injectors, and atleast remove your cat. Check the mods in my sig. Welcome to the site!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would buy a clutch if I were you right now. Just to keep it on the side. That's what I have. I bought a Spec Stage 2 (shold've gone with the 3+ considering the mods I want now) and it's just collecting dust as of now, but I don't know if my clutch will crap out anytime soon or if it will hold up for another 30,000 miles.

A torque dampener to decrease wheel hop might be a good mod for you since you're coming from a rwd platform. I, however, am used to where the car will start getting wheel hop so I really don't need one of those. I know when to let go. I haven't had wheel hop in over 8 months now and I can get some pretty bad ass launches with the car. This car DOES get a lot of wheel hop though if you're not careful.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by OniMirage
lol the car was intended to be driven hard enough to crap the clutch at 5k miles? That probably goes along the same lines as your tires should be bald on all four at only 10k miles.
hahaha i didnt beat the **** outta the car but i pushed it often. hey peoples clutches have gone sooner than 5000 miles. and like silverss/sc said .. he admitted beating the **** outta the car and his lasted for 26,000 miles. so if he did worse than me, and it lasted longer, obviously its hit or miss. but watever i just got my aftermarket clutch installed sooner
Old 08-02-2006, 01:18 PM

WELCOME

if you like the car now, you'll find that you just love it more and more as time passes, especially if you plan on modding.

like some one said above, 1st, mod get JBP control arm bushings, motor mount, and poly mounts. it will eliminate wheel hope, and tighten up the shifter quit a bit as well. it will really let you unleash the power.

as far as the GM stage kit goes, it's pretty good, save your self the money, and get stage 1, and buy a larger idler pulley, hub & supercharger pulley. but the Gm stage kits can still be greatly approved upon, thats why I choose to skip it all together, and get a custom tune, and really unleash the beast.

enjoy the car, do some searching on the site, you'll find that we are starting to develop many options, for modding,
Old 08-02-2006, 02:57 PM

Thanks Guys,

I'll just enjoy the car the way it is now untill I get some miles on her. I am enjoying it more and more and it's nice to get something back like great handling and excellent mileage.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:04 PM

clutch argument boils down to this.

drop clutch in first
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
(spun wheels all the way to redline, car is actually only doing about 5mph, slam to second)
(drop the clutch at 4k in second *this is the genius part*)

wwrrrrrrrrrrinnnnnnn rinnnnnnnn rinnnnnnnn rinnnnnnnn rinnnnnnn

hmmmm.....whats that smell.....

ZOMG WTH THE CLUTCH IS SO WEAK IN THIS CAR !?!!!!!!?!?!?!!?

make of this what you will.

weak clutch? or paul walker driving a cobalt.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous

drop clutch in first
(spun wheels all the way to redline, car is actually only doing about 5mph, slam to second)

i see ur point---but dont group everyone into this category who has had clutch problems. in fact, when i launch, i spin minimally, nor do i dump the clutch... EVER
Old 08-03-2006, 01:04 AM
cMw

congrats on the new cobalt dude
Old 08-03-2006, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by an0malous

drop clutch in first

learn how to drive man if thats what your doing, it doesn't surprise me that your clutch is ****.

your not driving a big RWD muscle car, it's FWD, it takes a little finesse to properly launch the car.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:54 PM

yeah i deffinatly never dump the clutch, i used to have to do it with my old cars just to spin the tires but with this car if i floor it in 1st gear i get spin. and i think i'd rather have my car grip and move forward instead of roast
Old 08-06-2006, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by player_1
learn how to drive man if thats what your doing, it doesn't surprise me that your clutch is ****.

your not driving a big RWD muscle car, it's FWD, it takes a little finesse to properly launch the car.

I Guess you didnt detect the huge amount of sarcasm I tried to put into the post.

I would never drive like that. but i know that ALOT (not all) of the people with clutch problems ARE doing this. and thats why they are roasting clutches.