General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Odd Practice by GM Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd Practice by GM Dealership

Just something odd that the salesmen did, wondering if they do this across the board.

When I picked up my Cobalt, the salesmen went through a "report card" on the dealership and insisted that I mark everything on this report card as "Strongly Agree" or "Completely Satisfied"

I found this quite odd as he did spend at least 5 mins. on this point. I was OK with that.

Then, 3 weeks later I received another automated call from the dealership, the main point of this call was to inform me that this "report card" would be arriving shortly, and they again told me to mark everything as strongly agree or completely satisfied, and if I am not that I call them back. This seems like an odd practice to me, although I am completely satisfied, i don't need someone telling me to put this down.

I have not received this report card yet but, if anyone else has experienced something similar please let me know.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:32 AM

I think that is standard practice for all GM dealers. My dealer did the exact same thing.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:34 AM

yeah my dealership did the same thing. They said if i was not completely satisfied that I should come in and resolve any issues before sending the card back. I think it is just a quality control issue where GM wants to make sure their dealerships are doing everything to make customers happy.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:41 AM

I get paid a "bonus" every month for a completely satisified CSI survey and the dealership

needs those so the big guys up in GM knows our status.

so if the dealership is doing a good job.. send them in!!!!

Jeff
2005 SS/SC

Old 01-15-2006, 10:41 AM

OK, this is good to hear.

The practice would make sense I suppose, this way they can guarantee you are satisfied, and if not they make you come forward with the reason you are not.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:49 AM

Aye had the same thing!
Old 01-15-2006, 10:56 AM

I never had to complete a survey form and recieved a call from my salesperson 5 days after I took delivery. If I had know that a "bonus" was in order for my salesperson I would have completed one as he and the service department have been great to me and my family members for all the cars that we have bought from him/them.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by chevytech329
I get paid a "bonus" every month for a completely satisified CSI survey and the dealership

Jeff
2005 SS/SC

w3rd.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by chevytech329

Jeff
2005 SS/SC

A bonus is a great and wonderful thing, but I think the way the salesman comes across with it, is a little more cash oriented than customer. Don't tell me to answer in the most positive way, it just seems shady. Either let the customer service speak for itself, or let the customer know that this is how you are evaluated for pay and benefits and to answer truthfully and honesty. Meanwhile back in the 50's...
Old 01-15-2006, 12:29 PM

I got the samething except they didn't insist that I mark "Strongly Agree" or "Completely Satisified". They just said that if they didn't get either that they felt they didn't do a good enough job, or maybe just a subtle way of saying, "Hey, check this boxes for us."
Old 01-15-2006, 12:44 PM

Even that's better than "Pssst, I need you to mark all the these boxes high for me, thanks..."
Old 01-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think that is shady. i can understand if they want to resolve any issues you had at the dealership before you fill out the report card but DON'T tell me what i can and can't mark.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:48 PM

I had something similar, they sent me home with one, mailed me another and then I got a call for a phone survey. They didn't twist my arm to tell them how great they are, but they made sure I felt comfortable with the process and everything about my car. It's good by me. Last dealership didn't care a bit after the sale was made.

Chevy seems to being doing well with customers. My only complaint so far is if they are going to sell and service the SS, get to know it. I've corrected the dealer / service center 2 times about service and standard features (No, they're not all season tires, no you can't put regular oil in it) . Of course, I told this to my salesman and the service manager, not to the surey.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:31 PM

My dealership even sent me a box of cookies along with the "report card". Seemed a little like a bribe but the cookies were good.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:59 PM

I Received a Free Oil Change coupon with mine .
Old 01-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Doc

Originally Posted by DC52NV
i think that is shady. i can understand if they want to resolve any issues you had at the dealership before you fill out the report card but DON'T tell me what i can and can't mark.
I agree 100%. Thats BS. I stated the same thing before x-mas in a similar thread.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:20 PM

I got a free tank off gas and a free car wash at my first oil change they gave me for free , just for turning in that CSI survey . My dealer simply expressed it was the goal to have a completely satisfied filled out on everything , and completely encouraged me to voice my opinion if they were not so they could correct themselves .

I dont have a problem with it , it weeds out the bad GM dealers because those surveys wether good or bad still go to the same place . And the techs and the salesmens count of those bonuses as part of their salary .
Old 01-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Banned

the dealerships are pretty slick, there's a reason they have you fill out th esurvey while you're there

like someone said, they do receive bonuses for them. now the phone call saying you will receieve the survey has to be made, but.... instead of sending you the survey through the mail, most salesmen will give it to you on th espot to put pressure on you to fill it out as "completely satisfied" and that should be the only survey you recieve.. but they make you think that you will be getting another one so you don't question it when they call you about getting a survey

it's common practice.. and it's a pretty damn smart idea, especially when they make extra $$$ from it

has anyone actually recieved a second survey? just wondering lol
Old 01-15-2006, 07:48 PM

They gave me a survey and said that if I marked down good things they would fill up my gas tank, but I said **** your gas and made sure they got a crappy report because thats how they treated me after I drove off with the car "********"
Old 01-15-2006, 07:50 PM

Sounds irritating...
Old 01-15-2006, 08:06 PM

Yes, this is rather common. I too rely on CSI scores for bonuses, (mod money). GM expects to see "Completly Satisfied", as a customers experience with the Dealership. They do treat "Satisfied" as a negative mark. The scores are based on the 4.0 scale, so a "Satisfied" rating is a 3.0 puts most employees below their mark of around 3.5. A salesman should still be a little more suttle on the approach on asking you to fill out the "report card", and explain the differences in what your replies would mean.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by trebass
Just something odd that the salesmen did, wondering if they do this across the board.

When I picked up my Cobalt, the salesmen went through a "report card" on the dealership and insisted that I mark everything on this report card as "Strongly Agree" or "Completely Satisfied"

I found this quite odd as he did spend at least 5 mins. on this point. I was OK with that.

Then, 3 weeks later I received another automated call from the dealership, the main point of this call was to inform me that this "report card" would be arriving shortly, and they again told me to mark everything as strongly agree or completely satisfied, and if I am not that I call them back. This seems like an odd practice to me, although I am completely satisfied, i don't need someone telling me to put this down.

I have not received this report card yet but, if anyone else has experienced something similar please let me know.
This irrates me to no end. A good sales expierence can be negated by something like this. It makes want to put less than completelt satisfied down. I understand that they want to make the customer happy, but I think that they only want to do that so they get high marks, not so they make the customer happy.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:41 PM

i was told i would be getting a survey in in the following weeks by mail.everybody that i had to deal with trying to buy this car mention the survey. hmm i ve had my car almost a month now, and no survey? i m sure its coming though! i dont mind telling people that i had a great experince buying my car from my dealership, which btw, i did (would have beed even better they would have knowed off a few more $$$$ on the car)
Old 01-15-2006, 10:10 PM

I was told to give the survey to the dealer, after I filled out all the fields Strongly agree, or Completely satisfied, and they mailed it out along with my paperwork... I wasn't actually all that impressed with my dealer's practices.

It is dishonest, because the Dealers are skewing their score by asking or bribing the customer... I took the bribe because they gave me a free emergency kit.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:56 AM

As soon as my salesman brought it up I told him that VW had pressured me on this issue when I bought my previous car and I didn't appreciate being told how to fill out a survey. He chose to ignore that warning. When the survey did arrive, I also got a letter from the sales manager and thirty minutes later a telephone call telling me how to fill it out. I told them that I would fill it out MY way and I didn't want to hear from them again on the issue.

This was the fifth car I've owned, first from a GM dealer, and the only bad car buying experience I've ever had. At least the VW salesman only mentioned it once, although I never did get the survey.

This particular dealership seems to think it's normal to give poor service as long as you can bribe enough people to give you good ratings. In my opinion, the only way GM can improve the service is by customer giving their true opinions and fixing the bad dealers.

Quick Reply: Odd Practice by GM Dealership