General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

OFFICIAL Brake Fix Petition:

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OFFICIAL Brake Fix Petition:

As you all know I have been getting a hard time about my brakes warping and trying to get them fixed. The 2nd day after i bout my car with little over a 100 miles on it the brakes were already slightly warped. After about 1000 miles I found time to take it back to the dealer thinking they would replace the brakes. All they did was resurface them. So after about another 1000 miles they were warped once again. I took it back and they resurfaced them again but this time not under warranty, it was out of pocket from the dealer. I asked them to not resurface them and to replace them and they refused. Another 1000 miles goes by and now they are warped once again and not able to be resurfaced anymore. I argued with the service manager of Day Chevy and his District manager and they say the brakes are overheated and its my fault. Mind you ive never had this type of problem with any of my other cars. So today i call chevy corporate and argue with them for over an hour and all they have to tell me is to pay out of pocket to replace them which i feel is unacceptable for this new of a car. they also tell me that a petition to the corporate offices may change the policy so that is where im at right now. Please comment briefly with your name and location if you have had or heard of any braking issues concerning the cobalt. Thank you and please stay on topic as i have to print this and send this to chevy. Thanks.

Douglas Vinciguerra - Pittsburgh, PA
Old 09-26-2006, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put 3-4 road races and 10,000 miles of Chicago traffic on mine... they were still fine when they came off. If you warped them in 100 miles... ummm...
Old 09-26-2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sp00ner
I put 3-4 road races and 10,000 miles of Chicago traffic on mine... they were still fine when they came off. If you warped them in 100 miles... ummm...
Agreed with spooner. Sure they grive, but they perform like CRAZY!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:19 PM

I haven't had any issues with warped rotors so far at 3500 miles but Im sure they are going to warp at some point here. My dad has a cobalt LS and hes had his in a few times like you with warped rotors.

You take it in to the dealer and they turn the rotors and they are even thinner and they warp even faster.

I've been hearing that GM has a problem with warped rotors not just on the cobalt but all of their new cars. You can see the poor qulaity just by looking at the rotors on my car because they were already rusting and flaking apart on the edges when I bought the car new. This is my only complaint with the quality on this car by the way.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:23 PM

i have issues, my rotors are like mountains, had done twice, i dont even want to go back to dealer to try and get new ones or fix what is wrong cause I HATE ALL CHEVY DEALERS they just jerk you around and are ********, i hate to think like this but i would prob fix and pay my self before going to dealerships, you give it them, then something else will be wrong that they caused, Worst dealerships in world to get warrenty service is CHEVY!

I sure hope i can one day trust to go to chevy dealer for warrenty work and have no problem getting one i believe should be fixed or resolved... time will tell
Old 09-26-2006, 02:38 PM

I had to have my rotors resurfaced at 10000miles. They were warped pretty bad at that point.

Larry - Washington, PA
Old 09-26-2006, 02:42 PM
360 L337 User

I had someone pull out in fron of me and I slammed on the breaks and e-break and stopped from about 40 like 2 inches from smashing them. and my breaks have been fucked since. had them resurfaced, but same ****. i am tired og the dealer. i will just wait till they are toasted and buy the upgraded ones.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 10,000 miles on mine and the brakes still feel like new. Granted, I've done a lot of highway, but it's not like I'm easy on them around town.

I see you have an automatic...do you drive with two feet or anything? I've worked in an auto shop for a while now and I've never heard of brakes being warped after only 100 miles. It's possible you got a bad batch with soft metal, but something else sounds srong to me with that.

And pulling on the e-brake (a.k.a. a PARKING BRAKE) is about the least effectove thing you could do in a panic stop.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:38 PM

3500klms, mine are being resurfaced today,though they said they would replace them the next time,there is nothing wrong with the rotors,it is the brake pads,they are ceramic to hard for a soft compound metal disc
Old 09-26-2006, 03:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by g5mike
3500klms, mine are being resurfaced today,though they said they would replace them the next time,there is nothing wrong with the rotors,it is the brake pads,they are ceramic to hard for a soft compound metal disc

someone else mentioned that. mine started to feel warped at like 1k miles and i just had them recut at the dealer. we'll see what happens, i don't beat on my brakes much, but i don't baby them either, i wouldn't complain at 10k, but at 1....
Old 09-26-2006, 03:47 PM

I'm about about 9600 miles and my brakes are warped...Havent had time to take it to the dealership...

Didnt some one get some slotted/drilled rotors for their car for free because they kept warping. I remember reading that thread.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:57 PM

My brakes grooved badly at 5,500 miles and dealer resurfaced under warrenty. By the time i sold my car at 12,000 miles they were once again badly grooved. Never did any high-speed stops or any activity that required a lot of brake usage.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:22 PM

ever since i got the car over a year ago i had problems witht he breaks..
my dealer where i purchased the car from there is this service writer, every time i talk to him i wanna F'in kick him in the face..

after having my car for a month i explained to him when i break i get a small vibration and a pull to the right, he said that is normal, and that under heavy breaky there is vibration. so what the F.. its still gonna be under warrenty..... 4months later i explain it getting worse, he says they will look at it.... they say they will machine the rotors under warrenty.. well ok, the vibration and pull went away for about 2 months and was back again, bad thing is the breaks warrenty are only covered until 30,000km and im almost at 40,000 and they wont do **** for me..

there is a problem with are breaks... but most of the time they will jsut last until their warrenty is up..

STUPID F'IN GM AND THEIR BULL **** WARRENTIES
Old 09-26-2006, 06:19 PM

If you lived in Wisconsin I would say go the lemon route. If a dealer can't fix a problem within three tries they have to replace the car or refund your money and this is up to you. It worked for me here in Wisconsin and I took the refund which was great, it was like a bank account, I got back about 80% of the money I put into payments, they keep 20% because I had the car for about 18 months.

Look into your state lemon laws. File the paper if you can. Keep all documention.

Good luck!

Call these guys, looks like they do it for free to you and if you win then the dealer/company pays them!

http://www.mylemon.com/
Old 09-26-2006, 06:52 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
interesting...
Old 09-26-2006, 08:57 PM

Hi Celica -

I have a 2006 SS/SC - it now has 5050 miles on it.

I started noticing pulsing in the brake pedal around 1k miles, and it is a little worse now.

I would say that there is a problem with the stock rotors on the Cobalt SS/SC. I also do not feel like they stop the car as well as they should, but that is just my opinion.

I will take it back in to the dealer sometime in the near future (I have a couple of other small issues with the sunroof - wish it did not have a sunroof...and with the passenger seat cover).

I have all Chevys, and this is the first car I have had that had this brake pulsing issue when very new, although I did see many C5 Corvette owners with this problem in the 2001-2002 time frame.

At that time, GM would resurface the rotors once as a "good will" warranty service, but after that you were on your own, and this is on a $45-50k automobile.

MY Z06 has 45k miles on it and I still have the stock rotors on it - no problems, and I brake hard from high speeds sometimes.

My wifes 99 C5 coupe (we bought it used) had severe brake pedal pulsation when I bought it - I put new rotors on it from sportbrakes and it has been excellent for over a year and 10k miles.

Our 98 Lumina has very good brakes, and has NEVER warped a rotor in 167,000 miles.

OTHER RECENT THREADS REGARDING THIS PROBLEM:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/drilled-slotted-rotors-free-27610/

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-4l-le5-performance-tech-46/got-shakes-when-braking-27605/

best regards -

mqqn

Last edited by mqqn; 09-26-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:04 AM

ok lets get some more entires to this
Old 09-28-2006, 05:55 AM
Premium Member

My brakes were fine up until about 25k miles when they were resurfaced for grooves. Shortly there after they began to warp. Almost 27k miles now and it's starting to pull to the right with some pulsation. I'll probably just pick up the slotted rotors instead. This is my 4th GM vehicle, all previous had brake issues, my Grand Prix being the worst (I spent probably $4000 in the 4 years I owned it just on the brakes ). I hate to say it, but considering the experiences I have had with my other GM vehicles, I'm impressed my ss/sc's brakes have made it this far.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:20 AM

i'm at the shop right now for the second time thanks to my brakes. i had about 18k on it the first time the dealer resurfaced them, now i'm at 23k and they are worse than ever. The car pulls to the right, and the steering wheel shakes horribly.

i think i'll be purchasing the slotted discs and some new pads...i'm sure they are only going to turn the rotors down again, and i know it's going to happen again.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by mugencivicsi
ever since i got the car over a year ago i had problems witht he breaks..
my dealer where i purchased the car from there is this service writer, every time i talk to him i wanna F'in kick him in the face..

after having my car for a month i explained to him when i break i get a small vibration and a pull to the right, he said that is normal, and that under heavy breaky there is vibration. so what the F.. its still gonna be under warrenty..... 4months later i explain it getting worse, he says they will look at it.... they say they will machine the rotors under warrenty.. well ok, the vibration and pull went away for about 2 months and was back again, bad thing is the breaks warrenty are only covered until 30,000km and im almost at 40,000 and they wont do **** for me..

there is a problem with are breaks... but most of the time they will jsut last until their warrenty is up..

STUPID F'IN GM AND THEIR BULL **** WARRENTIES
im getting a vibration on my front right tire now too, part of the brake pad has chipped off, its b.s. they also feel like they are going out. i'm going to the dealer today, or maybe i'll just redo the brakes myself, after reading all this bs about just resurfacing and still having them warped and vibrating

i only have about 12,000 miles on them, mostly highway
Old 10-16-2006, 04:20 PM

6530 and my rotors are fine, 4 autocrosses and plenty of hard driving. I have tonns of brake dust but I can't be bother by it.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:27 PM

little over 7k miles here and front right rotor is grooved and i'm starting to get the shakes. Friend of mine has it worse and already had them resurfaced at 6500.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:33 PM

I noticed some pulsing this weekend after avoiding a dog standing on the road. I have 9100 miles on my car. I am going to the dealer today to get an oil change and will talk to them about it to see what they say.

Jared Bowser - Cadogan, PA
Old 10-16-2006, 04:37 PM

I have 13000 miles on mine and i don't have a problem my only problem is keepin a clutch in the car. My old ladys ls on the other hand has warped rotors though.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, first of '04 RL - 26k One "high speed autocross/time attack" - no pulsation- no grooves.

Second, Machining rotors removes mass from the rotors which reduces their ability to cool properly, thus does not cure the problem. This issue is NOT specific to GM. Since health concerns over asbestos caused it to be removed from pads, both the rotors and the pads contain iron/iron compounds and can have surface rust. This surface rust can cause brake issues in the long run, but mostly on vehicles that sit an extended period of time. I work at a Mitsu dealer. We replace 80% of the rotors of Eclipse's that come into the shop. Be happy you're not paying the $700-900 the EVO owners do for a front brake job.

Seriously people. You bought a performance vehicle. Look around for just a second at the price of the GMPP rotors and new pads. They are cheap. Get over it. If you can't work on the brakes yourself, you really need to re-evalute your vehicle purchase.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL Brake Fix Petition: