General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Oil Filter Change Interval When Using Synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, since i put about 326 mile on my car a month. guess i will just change my oil every 4-6 months. cause like what i said earlier, i've own my 09 SS for 1 year and 3 months and i pnly put about 4890 miles. i will just go by months.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:29 PM

I can actually change it in about 30 secs.....no joke. You get quick at oil changes in general after doing a few thousand. Changing the oil doesn't take me any longer than a minute or two of actual work either tho.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fakameanrepresent
ok, so with all this 3k miles argument. so for people like me, who put ONLY 4867 miles since i own the car, and its benn 1 year and 4 months. what do i do? i do road course time attack, and some highway pull. do i change my oil by miles? or change my miles by months? please help me out.
Since you don't drive it much, but when you do drive you drive hard, I would probably change it around every 6 months.

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
THIS. holy cow. you broke mother ******* are pathetic. waste of money? its $50 freaking every 3 months. better safe than sorry in my book. if i could change it every day i would lol.
If you changed the oil everyday you would doing WAY more harm than good. The oil actually protects the engine from wear better after it has a few hundred miles on it. If the oil still protects good as good at 6K miles as it does at 3K why would you change it? You do know that the cost of oil will only continue to rise, especially when people continue to change their oil unnecessarily.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by rnjmur
Since you don't drive it much, but when you do drive you drive hard, I would probably change it around every 6 months.

If you changed the oil everyday you would doing WAY more harm than good. The oil actually protects the engine from wear better after it has a few hundred miles on it. If the oil still protects good as good at 6K miles as it does at 3K why would you change it? You do know that the cost of oil will only continue to rise, especially when people continue to change their oil unnecessarily.
I guarantee you it doesn't protect as well at 6k as it does at 3k. I'm sure the wear protection is still acceptable, but it won't be AS good. And as far as your oil prices comment.....your retarded.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering I have to buy 7 quarts of oil, it costs over 50 bucks for every change I do (Mobil1 w/ AcDelco or Napa Gold filter), so I usually just go by the DIC, which works to be around 7800mi on average. Even then, it is arguable that the oil is still pretty good provided that the metal and chemical levels stay at an appropriate ppm. That being said, at 3K miles, synthetic isn't even dirty, not even remotely close. Even modern dino oil isn't even dirty at 3K miles due to the detergents included in the oil formulation. I can understand a short inverval if the car sees heavy track use, but for normal highway miles, it would just be overkill. If I changed my oil every 3K, it would cost me about $330 in oil per year with all the highway miles I put on the car. At my current interval, it is well under half that.

Synthetic can easily withstand long service intervals of 15,000 miles or more as long as you change the filter every 5-7K miles. An oil analysis is also reccommended if you want to take this route. Trucking companies commonly run OA tests all the time to minimize having to replace the massive amounts of oil and oil change labor that the average CDL vehicle requires. As long as your oil remains in spec, it isn't doing harm. Hell, even many BMW dealers will refuse to change the oil of cars unless it nearing 15,000 miles since the last change, and that interval is approved by BMW.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:16 AM

why are you putting 7 quarts of oil in your car?
Old 07-23-2010, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nighthawk243
Considering I have to buy 7 quarts of oil, it costs over 50 bucks for every change I do (Mobil1 w/ AcDelco or Napa Gold filter), so I usually just go by the DIC, which works to be around 7800mi on average. Even then, it is arguable that the oil is still pretty good provided that the metal and chemical levels stay at an appropriate ppm. That being said, at 3K miles, synthetic isn't even dirty, not even remotely close. Even modern dino oil isn't even dirty at 3K miles due to the detergents included in the oil formulation. I can understand a short inverval if the car sees heavy track use, but for normal highway miles, it would just be overkill. If I changed my oil every 3K, it would cost me about $330 in oil per year with all the highway miles I put on the car. At my current interval, it is well under half that.

Synthetic can easily withstand long service intervals of 15,000 miles or more as long as you change the filter every 5-7K miles. An oil analysis is also reccommended if you want to take this route. Trucking companies commonly run OA tests all the time to minimize having to replace the massive amounts of oil and oil change labor that the average CDL vehicle requires. As long as your oil remains in spec, it isn't doing harm. Hell, even many BMW dealers will refuse to change the oil of cars unless it nearing 15,000 miles since the last change, and that interval is approved by BMW.
I guarantee you wont find a dealer that will refuse to take your money.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
That part of my post was not directed towards you. It was towards some of the rediculous posts within your thread. This is prob the 1,000,000th thread dealing with this same topic. Use the search button, and you will prob find the same exact question you asked with get this .... Answers !!
Oh I thought that part was. My bad.

I searched and couldn't find a thing.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:28 AM

Additional Question

Question not directly related to thread, but close.

When you order AC delco filter, do you order CAP and seal as well (PF458G), or just the cartridge alone (PF 457G).
Old 07-23-2010, 03:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hatrickstu
why are you putting 7 quarts of oil in your car?
I have to buy 7 quarts because I've never seen a half quart bottle of oil for sale. I'd get looked at like an idiot if I went into NAPA and asked to buy 6 and a half quarts of Mobil 1. Every other change I'll just buy 6 and use the remaining from the time I bought 7.

Originally Posted by SSBlack06balt
I guarantee you wont find a dealer that will refuse to take your money.
I should have clarified a bit: They only refuse that when you are still within that "Free Maintenance" period that BMW has. If they change it before it is needed, BMW won't reimburse them.

Originally Posted by ronn

When you order AC delco filter, do you order CAP and seal as well (PF458G), or just the cartridge alone (PF 457G).
You only really need to replace the cap if it gets damaged.

Last edited by Nighthawk243; 07-23-2010 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-23-2010, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
im the kind of person who calls for more maintenance than necessary. mobil1 synthetic oil, OEM ac delco filter and ngk 1step colder copper spark plugs every 4000-5000 miles. it keeps the car happy and i haven't had an issue yet
wow, the oil everyy 3k things blows my mind, but plugs too? You must really get on that sucker

^^(Turns out I went to go look up info on oil change intervals vs compression tests, and you ran 24 bottles of nitrous through your balt. every 3k it is!!)

anything NEW is always better than used. plugs w/ 0 miles on em will technically work better than plugs with 4-5k on em. All depends on what you want and who you are as a person, that will really determine what you do to your car, right?

I know at least 2 people who have seized engines because they forgot to do an oil change. WTF! Kid i worked with tried getting warranty work after getting his truck towed to the dealer, they did an oil analysis and bam, $20k truck in the garbage... ******* tard. also let his rotors go down til he grinded his calipers.

Then there are people like Blazin07SS who go above and beyond, more so than we think is necessary but hey, NEW works better than USED.

I personally prefer to do the filter when the oil gets changed. I change it 2 times a year, which is approx 8k miles. I do anywhere from 15-18k miles a year. I use Mobil 1 0W-30 in the winter, and 5W-30 from march to november. Car runs mint, did a compression test every cylinder was 200 PSI+, I have 46k miles on it, I hit WOT from 20-70 at least 5 times a day, and all is well. Never had a car run a crappy compression test when I change the oil at MY intervals, and I am rough on my cars.

Do what you feel is right, so long as it falls somewhere in the middle of... Spending what you feel is too much and going above and beyond for peace of mind, and not giving a crap and being neglectful, resulting in unnecessary and premature wear. There is no definitive answer, because there is no 2 similar drivers and/or driving conditions.

Basically... Change your oil and filter when your oil life gets low, and call it a day. Change it sooner if you're hard on your car.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:40 AM

I guarantee you it doesn't protect as well at 6k as it does at 3k. I'm sure the wear protection is still acceptable, but it won't be AS good. And as far as your oil prices comment.....your retarded.
Wear protection at 6K is usually actually BETTER than at 3K with synthetic oils. Isn't it funny how oil and gas prices continue to rise all the time? I guess that has nothing to do with people using it though. You are the retarded one for running your mouth about **** you know nothing about Mr. E-Thug.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:41 AM

Please back up your guarantee. If there are plenty of additives left at 6,000 miles, then what says they are less effective than when they were at 3,000 miles?

Here's a long-term Mobil 1 test done with an LS1: http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

Here's one of their conclusions:
"While the wear metals all accumulated steadily over the course of the test, the highest concentrations of accumulation per mile occurred in the first 3,000 miles of the test! From the 3,000-mile mark all the way to 18,000 miles, only lead showed an increase in per-mile wear beyond 3,000 miles. Yet even with an increased wear rate, lead wore the least in terms of absolute wear. For iron and copper, the longer the oil remained in service, the lower the wear rate got."

Based on the study, they recommend 8,000 mile oil change intervals for a car that uses no oil. I haven't seen any study ever that showed any evidence that a 3,000 mile oil change will increase the life of an engine.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:48 AM

I usually keep a cap (PF458G) on hand just in case mine gets damaged or it breaks/cracks. On my SS/SC I had to replace the cap once at like 40K or 50K when the prongs that hold the filter cracked off.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:53 PM

I usually keep a cap (PF458G) on hand just in case mine gets damaged or it breaks/cracks. On my SS/SC I had to replace the cap once at like 40K or 50K when the prongs that hold the filter cracked off.
Well, the kit also includes the SEAL as well. Hell, for about $4-5 more you get a NEW CAP AND SEAL! With changing filter 3X year, the difference is peanuts. For that, why not replace the additional parts too?

I haven't seen any study ever that showed any evidence that a 3,000 mile oil change will increase the life of an engine.
Agree..with the way cars are made TODAY, 3K change with a synthetic is a waste of time, $ and oil.

Last edited by ronn; 07-23-2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-24-2010, 01:57 AM

Well, the kit also includes the SEAL as well. Hell, for about $4-5 more you get a NEW CAP AND SEAL! With changing filter 3X year, the difference is peanuts. For that, why not replace the additional parts too?
I think that if you buy the fram filters they come with new seals as well.

I usually buy the filters in bulk so they are cheaper. A cap is about twice what I usually pay for a filter. However, there isn't anything wrong with replacing the cap and filter both if you don't mind spending the extra money.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:38 AM

I think that if you buy the fram filters they come with new seals as well.

I usually buy the filters in bulk so they are cheaper. A cap is about twice what I usually pay for a filter. However, there isn't anything wrong with replacing the cap and filter both if you don't mind spending the extra money.

At Rock Auto the AC Delco Filter alone (PF457G) is $5.65. The *kit* with Filter, Cap and Seal (PF458G) is $9.90..only $4.25 more. Seems like a no brainer if you're only doing this 3-4 times a year. If you're a service person supplying them as well, I can see just buying filters in bulk.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:18 AM

ALL brands of this type of filter come with new seals/o-rings......................
Old 07-24-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ridinonrails
ALL brands of this type of filter come with new seals/o-rings......................
Not if you buy the GM filter. It is the filter only, no cap seal included.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:33 PM

^That and its not necessary to actually replace the seal unless its damaged for any reason.

I only ever replace the cap if its leaking or stripped. Which has been two cars out of I don't know how many hundred.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Changed to Pennzoil Ultra yesterday. Seems promising so far.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:35 AM

Not if you buy the GM filter. It is the filter only, no cap seal included.
It's AC Delco..isn't that the same as GM?
Old 07-26-2010, 01:03 AM

You all argue like Ecotec motors are expensive haha.