General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

OTTP mount failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OTTP mount failure

Anyone else have theirs fail? I saw it when I swapped my trans. Perhaps this is the cause of my trans failing?

Pic is of my rear mount. Front mount looks kinda worn too.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in for ttr inserts! year and a half and still no problems
Old 07-17-2012, 11:22 PM

with OTTP's rep.. im not surprised
Old 07-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by padlock
with OTTP's rep.. im not surprised
Old 07-17-2012, 11:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hold old is the mount?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:50 AM

Guess I should check mine too, did tranny get warrantied?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:54 AM

OTTP should buy you a new tranny for selling such garbage.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We need to know how old the mounts were before we start throwing stones.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by BankerBalt
in for ttr inserts! year and a half and still no problems

Originally Posted by ebristol
^this
Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Lol @ eBristol. Stone throwing is a forum pastime. Fact is, ott use a very cheap insert. its what he wanted to reduce cost. I see failures with that bushing, and so I wont use them now. I have warrantied some of Otts crap, stuff I did not make, and I dont feel I should make a practice of it. The machine centers on the copied Ott program are not 100% by comparison.

The poly inserts that TTR use wear out ,on their version of the rotated mount I pioneered, and the motor moves on the center sleeve.

some of the problems I have seen can be traced to faulty installs, but thats life as well. Folks like Blazin06SS in Florida are on their V.1 mounts with no issues, and my 5 year old ones have no issues either. I believe 06blackg85ss in NY has my original ones as well.

So far, I dont see a real big issue other than the usual vendor problems well documented here. I can fix these mounts cheaply, but that would require different spacers.

My latest all steel mounts are very different to the billet ones.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 AM

I have the PRS STGII mounts from way back and they seem to be fine. (I can break even the sturdiest of **** too) Ill look into them again after a while, but PRS had always stood behind the OG mounts.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dart_SI
Anyone else have theirs fail? I saw it when I swapped my trans. Perhaps this is the cause of my trans failing?

Pic is of my rear mount. Front mount looks kinda worn too.

with respect, this mount had absoutely NOTHING to do with your trans failing. Even in its torn state, the mount will move less than a stock LSJ or LNF bushing. In my experience, most transmission failures can be traced to driving modes. Did you not have a series of engine issues? And perhaps you may have been to the drag strip , the autox or the road race track?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:52 AM

Im not blaming the mount for the trans failure, as im right around the power level to break them. The mounts I have were on the car for almost 2 years. I installed them properly too, made I drove around the block with the mounts loose to get the proper "rotation" before I torqued them.

My car has been airborne before (with area47 driving, but that's a different story)
Old 07-18-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just out of curiosity, what do the PRS bushings look like? I've got some mounts i bought from OTTP a few years back and now wondering if i should leave them off the car...
Old 07-18-2012, 11:03 AM

To be fair they worked good when I had them on the car. Im going to go with Powell now tho.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was just going to have DDM throw them on the car when they put my Hyper Single in the car but i'm going to hold off until i can verify i have the good mounts vs the ones that could possibly fail
Old 07-18-2012, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
Lol @ eBristol. Stone throwing is a forum pastime. Fact is, ott use a very cheap insert. its what he wanted to reduce cost. I see failures with that bushing, and so I wont use them now. I have warrantied some of Otts crap, stuff I did not make, and I dont feel I should make a practice of it. The machine centers on the copied Ott program are not 100% by comparison.

The poly inserts that TTR use wear out ,on their version of the rotated mount I pioneered, and the motor moves on the center sleeve.

some of the problems I have seen can be traced to faulty installs, but thats life as well. Folks like Blazin06SS in Florida are on their V.1 mounts with no issues, and my 5 year old ones have no issues either. I believe 06blackg85ss in NY has my original ones as well.

So far, I dont see a real big issue other than the usual vendor problems well documented here. I can fix these mounts cheaply, but that would require different spacers.

My latest all steel mounts are very different to the billet ones.
Aaron might cry and report your post to be deleted
Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
YUP mine fucked up like that too... now every time im on/off the gas i feel the engine move and buck and make click noises doing that.. i'm pissed because i went and swapped out the bushing in it for a new one and same thing already. gonna go the powell route.. very, very soon.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:43 AM

Soooo how much for powell mounts? Lol
Old 07-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Omnigear
Aaron might cry and report your post to be deleted
No, but we will comment now, so thanks for the welcome!

Poly will over time, like any other material show signs of wear, but if ours do, and your the original owner, no problem! Contact us!

We won't blame our mount failure on another company. Johns "original" mounts used that bushing in photo #1. Blame it on install error, or whatever, we dont blame our customers.

ALL members need to closely look at their mounts, as the bushing in post #1, is the same "voided" bushing used in those mounts since day one. (cough) Someone is talking smoke to cover this up. Photos all over the internet show this same Control Arm Bushing insert, even back when the rotated mounts were factory mounts, re positioned bushings.

These post of this mount/voided bushing tearing is nothing new, they pop up time to time, and have for years already. (deleted by mods back in the day) What a poor choice of bushing. They fail in a control arm, why would they work as a tranny mount!

John should replace all of those sold prior to, what 2011? As he has been, and should continue. As he made them, and there were just sold through OTTP. OTTP just resently started manufacturing these, prior to that John made them.

ZZP was smart, THEY were the one that came up to use a NON VOIDED RUBBER bushing... Not John.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Former Vendor

Eric you are a smart man.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
*grabs popcorn*
Old 07-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
No, but we will comment now, so thanks for the welcome!

Poly will over time, like any other material show signs of wear, but if ours do, and your the original owner, no problem! Contact us!

We won't blame our mount failure on another company. Johns "original" mounts used that bushing in photo #1. Blame it on install error, or whatever, we dont blame our customers.

ALL members need to closely look at their mounts, as the bushing in post #1, is the same "voided" bushing used in those mounts since day one. (cough) Someone is talking smoke to cover this up. Photos all over the internet show this same Control Arm Bushing insert, even back when the rotated mounts were factory mounts, re positioned bushings.

These post of this mount/voided bushing tearing is nothing new, they pop up time to time, and have for years already. (deleted by mods back in the day) What a poor choice of bushing. They fail in a control arm, why would they work as a tranny mount!

John should replace all of those sold prior to, what 2011? As he has been, and should continue. As he made them, and there were just sold through OTTP. OTTP just resently started manufacturing these, prior to that John made them.

ZZP was smart, THEY were the one that came up to use a NON VOIDED RUBBER bushing... Not John.
Please note Aaron WE DID NOT USE THE BUSHING IN THE PICTURE IN 2006,7,8; in did use it in 2009 for OTT. Not in 2011 and 2012. We detail in our web site the difference in class A and class B inserts.

NON voided bushings will fail the same way eventually of they are made cheaply. The Bilstein inserts that Ott use are for a V dub.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
Please note Aaron WE DID NOT USE THE BUSHING IN THE PICTURE IN 2006,7,8; in did use it in 2009 for OTT. Not in 2011 and 2012. We detail in our web site the difference in class A and class B inserts.

NON voided bushings will fail the same way eventually of they are made cheaply. The Bilstein inserts that Ott use are for a V dub.
Okay, we will speak fair on this, as we hope you will John in return

So what you are stating is there are 2 diffent quality of voided bushings used?

Over all a voided bushing in rubber is not a good choice, as to why non-voided bushings are being used by 2 vendors now (ZZP and Powell)
Old 07-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 06SS ALL DAY
Soooo how much for powell mounts? Lol
OUr all steel mounts are 110 stage 1. I dont use stage 2 myself. If folks want to send their broken insert mounts to be, they pay freight both ways, I suppose I can replace the bushing free of charge, with a superior one, which will require new spacers which I can supply.
Hopefully this will not start a landslide, as this will cost me about 60 dollars to fix . The other thing is, frieght both ways will make it marginal to do for the OP. Of course, I can sell you a new bushing and you can put it in, but it still requires a different set of spacers.

Quick Reply: OTTP mount failure