General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Our Cars have a Little Japanese in Them!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our Cars have a Little Japanese in Them!

Wrong on the ecotec verdict still out on the 4.2 but who fakin cares i just wanted to post a thread that would get lots of hits.

Last edited by BCBalt SC; 07-01-2007 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:56 AM

Wow....just wow.....you REALLY need to get your info right. The original ECOtec was designed in Europe and the 4.2 Inline 6 isn't from Toyota ither.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:19 AM

yes they are they both came into dealers with toyota oil filter, and the 2.2 design was sold to gm and reworked
Old 07-01-2007, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by BCBalt SC
yes they are they both came into dealers with toyota oil filter, and the 2.2 design was sold to gm and reworked
Dude I dont wanna be a dick but your wrong. Plain and simple. GM created this motor from the ground up.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:27 AM

All I can say is show me some proof(i.e. GM website, Toyota website, car and driver) something. Because right now what you're saying is hear say and doesn't even sound accure to me and what the hell do you mean it should make us feel good inside that our cars were developed by Toyota? What kinda retarded statement is that to put on a site with a bunch of GM enthusiast. No it wouldn't make me feel good...if I wanted a Toyota I would've bought a Toyota.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:34 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
from what i understand it was developed by gm, mainly the saab and opel divisions.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine#Ecotec

"The Family II is a straight-4 piston engine that was originally developed by Opel in late 1970s for use in the Opel Ascona B and Opel Kadett D. Over time, the engine block has evolved to include many modern features such as DOHC and fuel injection. Many General Motors subsidiaries, including Holden, GM do Brasil and recently GM Powertrain have adopted this design. It is also starting to be used in hot rods as an engine swap"

I don't know where the hell he got Toyota from...

If anything, they got the VVT technology from Toyota.

and news flash...the sunfire wasn't the only car with the L61 in the early days.

Saturn L-Series, Saturn Ions and Chevy Cavaliers all had them.

Last edited by NJHK; 07-01-2007 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-01-2007, 05:44 AM

Yes the engine was built from the ground up but it was basically a reworked camry 2.2 GM took the internal design and made it there own.

The reason is I would say it would make us feel good is; Do you know a problem free 4cylinder developed by GM in the last million years...nope, I know I ve had four of there worst ones the 2.0 OHC, the 2.0 OHV, the 2.2 OHV and of course who could ever forget the wonderful quad 4 and the pre 2000 2.4 twin cam, all these motors had signifigant defiencies and design flaws

Hey maybe I am wrong but I actually would be happier knowing this engine took ques from the world leader in 4cylder engine design.

Hey I was one of the biggest GM fans out there ever since I was a little kid and my wall was plastered with Camaro and Chevelle pics from the good days of cars but that doesnt change the fact that GM can only build good V8's and now a days good V6 engines.

But after the terrible service and the amount of build quality issues with my SS/SC I will gladly go to the Japanes after my lease is done as it is a fact they build better quality, longer lasting, more fuel efficvent car with way better resale . The only reason I bought an SS/SC over a mazda3 speed is GM gave me over $4000 off the sticker. Don't get me wrong the SS/SC is a great value for the money but it is still just a nicely reworked cavalier on a new platform. The only thing spectacular about our cars is the powerplant giving me even more reason to believe it has a little toyota in it.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:44 AM

Do you guys now where the ecotec originated from?
I'm gonna fill you all in.

Don't you guys ever wonder how GM developed this amazing 4 cyl engine when history has proved that GM couldnt build a 4 banger if there life depended on it (remember the quad 4).

In the early 00 when GM partnered up with Toyota to create the Matrix/Vibe Gm scored big out of this deal. They got the discontinued 2.2 4 cyl camry engine design to call there own as well as the 4.2l I-6. When Gm first got this engine it even came in the 03 sunfires with a toyota oil filter aswell as the 4.2 Envoy/Trailblazer.

So it will make you all feel good inside that our ecotecs originated from The world leader in engine development in Toyota.
The toyota engines are really different from the Ecotec. The only time Toyota engines find/found their way into GM cars is NUMI (and the Canadian equivalent) . This means some of the Geo's and the Vibe, thats it. The ecotec engine was designed completely in house by GM, it is a 100% GM motor. Don't even compare it to an engine that was used in a Toyota 10 years ago, the technology is on a totally different scale. The blocks are totally different, and even if you dont have pictures of the blocks, the ecotec motor has a larger stroke that im not even sure is possible in the Toyota block (That is also the source of the ecotec's torque). The Ecotec is so clean burning it doesn't even have a EGR system. Also, the Trailblazer uses the GM Atlas motors (Called Vortec sometimes, although that is usually used by the V8 motors) , are you saying that the I-5 inside the Colorado is toyota too? Becuase that engine is same minus one piston. You are so wrong, I dont know how you even came up with this information because its so far from the truth.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:45 AM

Yes the engine was built from the ground up but it was basically a reworked camry 2.2 GM took the internal design and made it there own.

The reason is I would say it would make us feel good is; Do you know a problem free 4cylinder developed by GM in the last million years...nope, I know I ve had four of there worst ones the 2.0 OHC, the 2.0 OHV, the 2.2 OHV and of course who could ever forget the wonderful quad 4 and the pre 2000 2.4 twin cam, all these motors had signifigant defiencies and design flaws

Hey maybe I am wrong but I actually would be happier knowing this engine took ques from the world leader in 4cylder engine design.

Hey I was one of the biggest GM fans out there ever since I was a little kid and my wall was plastered with Camaro and Chevelle pics from the good days of cars but that doesnt change the fact that GM can only build good V8's and now a days good V6 engines.

But after the terrible service and the amount of build quality issues with my SS/SC I will gladly go to the Japanes after my lease is done as it is a fact they build better quality, longer lasting, more fuel efficvent car with way better resale . The only reason I bought an SS/SC over a mazda3 speed is GM gave me over $4000 off the sticker. Don't get me wrong the SS/SC is a great value for the money but it is still just a nicely reworked cavalier on a new platform. The only thing spectacular about our cars is the powerplant giving me even more reason to believe it has a little toyota in it.
lol

dude, click the other post link...
Old 07-01-2007, 05:47 AM

and news flash...the sunfire wasn't the only car with the L61 in the early days.

Saturn L-Series, Saturn Ions and Chevy Cavaliers all had them.[/QUOTE]

With the exception of the L-series the other three are the exact same car with different badges on them
Old 07-01-2007, 05:49 AM

Saturn L-Series, Saturn Ions and Chevy Cavaliers all had them.

With the exception of the L-series the other three are the exact same car with different badges on them
LOL

Dude...

Cavaliers and Sunfires are J-bodies. Same Chassis.

Ions are COMPLETELY different. It's the same chassis as the Cobalt.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:55 AM

And since when is Toyota the world leader in 4 cylinder design? Last I checked their 2.4L that they are stuffing in their scions/camrys now barley makes like 5 more HP then GM's 2.2L...
Also, you say as soon as your lease is up on you car you are going to get a import becuase they have better resale, Why does resale value matter at all to you if you are leasing a car?
Old 07-01-2007, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by smartmlp
And since when is Toyota the world leader in 4 cylinder design? Last I checked their 2.4L that they are stuffing in their scions/camrys now barley makes like 5 more HP then GM's 2.2L...
Also, you say as soon as your lease is up on you car you are going to get a import becuase they have better resale, Why does resale value matter at all to you if you are leasing a car?
ZOMG! lol
Old 07-01-2007, 05:59 AM

[QUOTE=NJHK;1177889]LOL

Dude...

you don't even drive an ecotec anymore sdo why are you on this site, if I were you I would create a site to complain that your 3.8 v6 is used in Hyundais ( im really sorry that you have to live with that)
Old 07-01-2007, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
LOL
Dude...

you don't even drive an ecotec anymore sdo why are you on this site, if I were you I would create a site to complain that your 3.8 v6 is used in Hyundais ( im really sorry that you have to live with that)
Dude...

1. Learn how to quote cause I'm getting tired of fixing them
2. I used to own a ECOTEC and I've done more research on the engines than (appearantly) you have.
3. I'm on this forum to keep other newbies from believing dumb **** you're preaching
4. What Hyundai has my 3.8L? Oh wait...you're maknig **** up again...gotcha. Next thing you know, Kia made the 4T45E transmission too...

End yourself.

I've proved your wrong literally in every post you made and it's REALLY evident you don't know what you're talking about.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by smartmlp
You must be as stupid as me to ask why resale would matter in a lease. If you decide to buyout any honda civic or mazda3 or toyota corolla after a 4 yr lease your car is worth thousands more that your buyout whereas a GM vehicle will be worth thousand less. I don't know any domestics that will pay you to walk away from a 48 mth lease at the halfway point. My friend who now works for mazda was given $1500 to hand his lease in early. By having no resale it really limits your option on a lease

And just beacuse an engine makes more power doesnt make it better again I will refrence the "Quad 4" It had 180-200 hp in the early 90's when GM'S 3.1l was only making 130-145hp does that mean it was a good engine. No in fact if you ask any automotive experts they will telll you the quad 4 was one of the worst engine design to be mass produced.

Yea and that 2.4l gets the same fuel economy in a camry that a 2.2 gets in a cobi

Ok dude im sure you do now a lot and it looks like you have proved me wrong with the ecotec. But im not just trying to put your eclipse down they are gorgeous cars but Mitsubishi sells there engines to almost every company. In fact the new 2.4 in the caliber is shared by chrysler, mercedes, mitsubishi and yes Hyundai. The veracruz 3.8l is the same exact engine that is in your eclispe and this ine im sure on and you can confirm very easily. In fact Hyundai uses about three mitsubishi engine as they do not build any engines them selves

Last edited by BCBalt SC; 07-01-2007 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-01-2007, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You lose dude! just give up. You're only digging yourself a deeper hole.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:16 AM

You must be as stupid as me to ask why resale would matter in a lease. If you decide to buyout any honda civic or mazda3 or toyota corolla after a 4 yr lease your car is worth thousands more that your buyout whereas a GM vehicle will be worth thousand less. I don't know any domestics that will pay you to walk away from a 48 mth lease at the halfway point. My friend who now works for mazda was given $1500 to hand his lease in early. By having no resale it really limits your option on a lease

And just beacuse an engine makes more power doesnt make it better again I will refrence the "Quad 4" It had 180-200 hp in the early 90's when GM'S 3.1l was only making 130-145hp does that mean it was a good engine. No in fact if you ask any automotive experts they will telll you the quad 4 was one of the worst engine design to be mass produced.

Yea and that 2.4l gets the same fuel economy in a camry that a 2.2 gets in a cobi

Ok dude im sure you do now a lot and it looks like you have proved me wrong with the ecotec. But im not just trying to put your eclipse down they are gorgeous cars but Mitsubishi sells there engines to almost every company. In fact the new 2.4 in the caliber is shared by chrysler, mercedes, mitsubishi and yes Hyundai. The veracruz 3.8l is the same exact engine that is in your eclispe and this ine im sure on and you can confirm very easily. In fact Hyundai uses about three mitsubishi engine as they do not build any engines them selves
Show me proof that my engine is produced by Hyundai.

Even if it is, I like my "Hyundai" engine. Runs perfectly fine and has plenty of power.

Honestly, who cares where the engine is produced?

Last edited by NJHK; 07-01-2007 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-01-2007, 06:21 AM

Yes I agree the ecotec is not toyota but I am sure that hyundai is using the 3.3l v6, 2.4l 4, and 2.0l 4, and the 3.8l v6 all Mitsubishi engine. You asked me what hyundai has yourt engine well the azera and the veracruz look into you wont prove me wrong on this one. As for the rest of the ecotec **** I conceed the info I was given when working at city was inaccurate. I am still confident the 4.2 I-6 is toyota.

Its not a hyundai engine its a Mitsubishi engine. Mitsubishi has been producing powerplants for many Different Auto companies for many years

Last edited by BCBalt SC; 07-01-2007 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-01-2007, 06:24 AM

Yes I agree the ecotec is not toyota but I am sure that hyundai is using the 3.3l v6, 2.4l 4, and 2.0l 4, and the 3.8l v6 all Mitsubishi engine. You asked me what hyundai has yourt engine well the azera and the veracruz look into you wont prove me wrong on this one. As for the rest of the ecotec **** I conceed the info I was given when working at city was inaccurate. I am still confident the 4.2 I-6 is toyota.

Its not a hyundai engine its a Mitsubishi engine. Mitsubishi has been producing powerplants for many Different Auto companies for many years
Gotcha...

But like said...who cares?
Old 07-01-2007, 06:25 AM

Dude...

2. I used to own a ECOTEC and I've done more research on the engines than (appearantly) you have.
3. I'm on this forum to keep other newbies from believing dumb **** you're preaching
4. What Hyundai has my 3.8L? Oh wait...you're maknig **** up again...gotcha. Next thing you know, Kia made the 4T45E transmission too...

End yourself.

I've proved your wrong literally in every post you made and it's REALLY evident you don't know what you're talking about.
OUCH!!!!!!!! BURNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!! MY MAN! LMAO! I think Jerry Springer wud love for u guys to go on his show. But in all seriousness, I always thought that when GM bought out Saab they got the idea of the 2.2 from them and basically went with it. Idk, honestly, my 2.2 runs good, and it's the best 4 cyl I've seen IMO. But, damn NJHK, lol, U R MY HERO! I've read alot of comebacks and burns, but...ouch, good stuff. lol. "What? U think Imma Letchu Roll in a Hyundai?" And also, u shud probably get ur facts str8 b4 u ramble on n start dissing people that wud help u. I've read alot of NJHK's posts n he's not stupid. So way to go slow. lmao...end yourself. thats great.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by cobalt_driver
OUCH!!!!!!!! BURNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!! MY MAN! LMAO! I think Jerry Springer wud love for u guys to go on his show. But in all seriousness, I always thought that when GM bought out Saab they got the idea of the 2.2 from them and basically went with it. Idk, honestly, my 2.2 runs good, and it's the best 4 cyl I've seen IMO. But, damn NJHK, lol, U R MY HERO! I've read alot of comebacks and burns, but...ouch, good stuff. lol. "What? U think Imma Letchu Roll in a Hyundai?" And also, u shud probably get ur facts str8 b4 u ramble on n start dissing people that wud help u. I've read alot of NJHK's posts n he's not stupid. So way to go slow. lmao...end yourself. thats great.
LOL

Why thank you. I enjoy a good p0wnage from time to time. Jerry has my number, we'll do lunch.

Find the Kelso Burn picture and this will complete the thread lol
Old 07-01-2007, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. The Ecotec line was developed before the Camry even existed.
2. The Camry didn't get a 2.2 until its 3rd generation, by that time the Ecotec line was 20 years old and already in heavy use by GM Europe.
3. EVERY GM 4-cylinder me or my family has ever owned has been an absolute bullet-proof tank. Personally, my Cavalier had 115,000 on its 2200 DOHC and ran like new when I traded it in - I saw the guy who bought it and he said at 230,000 the tranny went and he was just starting to have engine problems. Before that I had a Buick Skyhawk with the Quad 4. It made 210,000 miles while we owned it, sold it to a friend for his son to take to college. When he was done with it the engine was over 300,000 miles with only minor issues. He ditched it because the original tranny went and he had a hard time finding parts to replace it. Now my ss/sc is my 3rd GM 4-cyl and it's on pace to have a lifespan like my previous ones. 44,000 miles and the engine is running like new. Not a single motor or tranny issue on it.
4. You deserve a Toyota. Seriously. Go by a Yaris or something. To be honest, the Japanese market as a whole fails to impress me. Sure, there's a car or two that comes out that's respectable, but on the whole I don't see anything that I want out of Japan. European market is another story, if I were to ever buy a foreign car, it'd be a European car. Which is probably why I like my Ecotec so much......since it was born and bred in EUROPE.

Dude...

End yourself.

Ahhhh....some good old Adam pwnage...
Old 07-01-2007, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by cobalt_driver

Dude I dont even need a comeback to burn you I think living in Buffalo and actually admitting it is bad enough.

I have already agreed with NJHK about the ecotecs but it is true that mitsu is selling hyundai engines to put in a lot of there cars.

Quick Reply: Our Cars have a Little Japanese in Them!