General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Our Cars have a Little Japanese in Them!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJHK
Find the Kelso Burn picture and this will complete the thread lol
This one?

Old 07-01-2007, 06:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alleycat58
1. The Ecotec line was developed before the Camry even existed.
2. The Camry didn't get a 2.2 until its 3rd generation, by that time the Ecotec line was 20 years old and already in heavy use by GM Europe.
3. EVERY GM 4-cylinder me or my family has ever owned has been an absolute bullet-proof tank. Personally, my Cavalier had 115,000 on its 2200 DOHC and ran like new when I traded it in - I saw the guy who bought it and he said at 230,000 the tranny went and he was just starting to have engine problems. Before that I had a Buick Skyhawk with the Quad 4. It made 210,000 miles while we owned it, sold it to a friend for his son to take to college. When he was done with it the engine was over 300,000 miles with only minor issues. He ditched it because the original tranny went and he had a hard time finding parts to replace it. Now my ss/sc is my 3rd GM 4-cyl and it's on pace to have a lifespan like my previous ones. 44,000 miles and the engine is running like new. Not a single motor or tranny issue on it.
4. You deserve a Toyota. Seriously. Go by a Yaris or something. To be honest, the Japanese market as a whole fails to impress me. Sure, there's a car or two that comes out that's respectable, but on the whole I don't see anything that I want out of Japan. European market is another story, if I were to ever buy a foreign car, it'd be a European car. Which is probably why I like my Ecotec so much......since it was born and bred in EUROPE.

Ahhhh....some good old Adam pwnage...
ZOMG! Alicia...

We should have kids and they will reign all of forums to proceed with super p0wnage and scaring all that give obvious misinformation. They will eat fear, crap out metal and **** out 110 Octane Fuel.

This one?

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

This thread is officially completed.

Last edited by NJHK; 07-01-2007 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-01-2007, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol. haha. honestly though...i wudn't willingly admit that I have knowledge about hyundai. sry. lmao. thats just me. and correct me if i am wrong, but didn't u state that he has a hyundai engine, yet u stated that hyundai doesn't make engines themselves. so in theory hyundai has a mitsubishi engine? i believe i'm right. lol. so technically ur burn made no sense and proved urself dumb. congrats. also...why wud u lease a cobalt n go on performance forum when the most u can do is a cai? lol. idk. maybe i just miss a picture(not trying to bash u) but i just don't see the point. cheers.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:46 AM

1. The Ecotec line was developed before the Camry even existed.
2. The Camry didn't get a 2.2 until its 3rd generation, by that time the Ecotec line was 20 years old and already in heavy use by GM Europe.
3. EVERY GM 4-cylinder me or my family has ever owned has been an absolute bullet-proof tank. Personally, my Cavalier had 115,000 on its 2200 DOHC and ran like new when I traded it in - I saw the guy who bought it and he said at 230,000 the tranny went and he was just starting to have engine problems. Before that I had a Buick Skyhawk with the Quad 4. It made 210,000 miles while we owned it, sold it to a friend for his son to take to college. When he was done with it the engine was over 300,000 miles with only minor issues. He ditched it because the original tranny went and he had a hard time finding parts to replace it. Now my ss/sc is my 3rd GM 4-cyl and it's on pace to have a lifespan like my previous ones. 44,000 miles and the engine is running like new. Not a single motor or tranny issue on it.
4. You deserve a Toyota. Seriously. Go by a Yaris or something. To be honest, the Japanese market as a whole fails to impress me. Sure, there's a car or two that comes out that's respectable, but on the whole I don't see anything that I want out of Japan. European market is another story, if I were to ever buy a foreign car, it'd be a European car. Which is probably why I like my Ecotec so much......since it was born and bred in EUROPE.

Ahhhh....some good old Adam pwnage...
Well atleast I can prove you wrong.......Other than the ecotec the cavalier never had a 2.2 ohc it was always OHV in the cavalier and the sunfire used a 2.0 ohc WHICH WAS NEVER PUT IN THE CAVALIER. the cavalier went from a 2.0l OHV to a 2.2L OHV to the 2.2 DOHC ECOTEC

Originally Posted by cobalt_driver
lol. haha. honestly though...i wudn't willingly admit that I have knowledge about hyundai. sry. lmao. thats just me. and correct me if i am wrong, but didn't u state that he has a hyundai engine, yet u stated that hyundai doesn't make engines themselves. so in theory hyundai has a mitsubishi engine? i believe i'm right. lol. so technically ur burn made no sense and proved urself dumb. congrats. also...why wud u lease a cobalt n go on performance forum when the most u can do is a cai? lol. idk. maybe i just miss a picture(not trying to bash u) but i just don't see the point. cheers.

I think you should reread the post I never said he had a HYundai engine faker

Ok Shawn owned me but your justr making an ass of yourslef making more false statements than me

You can do stage 2 full GM exhaust or aftermarket for that matter n a leased car and you will not void the warrant as long as the parts are installed by a Gm acrredited repair facility.

Last edited by BCBalt SC; 07-01-2007 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-01-2007, 06:46 AM

lol sweet
Old 07-01-2007, 06:47 AM

why are you on the 2.0l performance page with an LS in your driveway.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:48 AM

alright my bad i mis-read that. sry. u were right. lol, i didn't make a false statement, i read it so quick that i mis-took how u wrote it out. i thought i read "y r u here, blah blah, how do u feel that ur 3.8 v6 is a hyundai engine" like i said i'm sry. lol.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by BCBalt SC
Well atleast I can prove you wrong.......Other than the ecotec the cavalier never had a 2.2 ohc it was always OHV in the cavalier and the sunfire used a 2.0 ohc WHICH WAS NEVER PUT IN THE CAVALIER. the cavalier went from a 2.0l OHV to a 2.2L OHV to the 2.2 DOHC ECOTEC
Ok you win that one with Alicia...but I got you on something

The Sunfire NEVER had a 2.0 motor...

That was the SunBIRD!

I win.

and who is Shawn? lol

Last edited by NJHK; 07-01-2007 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-01-2007, 06:51 AM

I'm sorry for my slight oversight, 3 hours of sleep will do that.

Originally Posted by NJHK
Ok you win that one with Alicia...but I got you on something

The Sunfire NEVER had a 2.0 motor...

That was the SunBIRD!

I win.

and who is Shawn? lol

I am naming you shawn for some odd reason and yes that was a typo i was refering to the ever impressive 1988 sunbird duct tape edition I used to race on my high school track

But unless that dude was talking about his 2200 4 DOHC Cavalier he is wrong enless he was talking about the ecotec which I dont think he was

lol...this forum isn't just SS drivers. If u cud tell there are SS/SC, SS N/A, and 2.2 guys. lol. And y r u on here, if u wanna foreign car? We appreciate GM which is why we bought GM car's. What next ur gonna bash the guys who bought the Redline n G5? ass.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:53 AM

You want to hear about a MS3 story...So I just got back from the track tonight there was
a guy with a brand new MS3 little over 5k on it guess how fast he ran??? Oh snap..wait his
POS mazda died on him before he got it into 2nd gear!! He never got it running again its
still at the track waiting to be towed lol
Old 07-01-2007, 06:57 AM

lol...well isn't mazda a branch off ford? i think it is? lol. that's funny though bc it started off random then ended with a point.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:01 AM

lol...this forum isn't just SS drivers. If u cud tell there are SS/SC, SS N/A, and 2.2 guys. lol. And y r u on here, if u wanna foreign car? We appreciate GM which is why we bought GM car's. What next ur gonna bash the guys who bought the Redline n G5? ass.
werent you the asking me why i wa n the erformance thread when 1 this is the general cobalt forum and secondaly u are the one who said I cant mod a leased car......yea ok

Dude even people who own RL bash them I know they are the same car as the balt and G% but they have had many problems but I wont bash them i will leave it to the RL owners to bash there cars. All the GM engines I have bashed I have owned and can confirm the were not very good design, until the ecotec which is a great motor and that is why it is on Wards ten best
Old 07-01-2007, 07:03 AM

man you really hate your car dont cha..
Old 07-01-2007, 07:04 AM

lol...well isn't mazda a branch off ford? i think it is? lol. that's funny though bc it started off random then ended with a point.

No man Mazda is Mazda FOrd just owns a portion and they have a platform sharing agreement if they owned mazda the focus would be based on the same platform, but the focus is a european platform
Old 07-01-2007, 07:06 AM

Ya the mazda 3 shares its platform with the euro focus. The gringo fucus is different.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:08 AM

lol...no i asked u y r on a Cobalt forum with a leased car, if u really can't do any performance to it. What I meant to say is why r u on a Cobalt site with a leased car. I just don't see the purpose of it. U urself said u lose retail with domestic cars, so y wud u dump more money into a car u hate so much and know absolutely dick about. And...lmao Buffalo is bad? Haha, how's ur hockey team? Hmmm, they sure made it REAL far. lol
Old 07-01-2007, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by BACK2GM
man you really hate your car dont cha..
Dude I love my engine and my tranny minus the clutch but since new seven month ago i have had my sunroof seal replaced twice due to annoying creaks, My heated seat module has been replaced, the paint on my dash trim has peeled off three times (they had to clearcoat the piece in the bodyshop. My clucth makes a weird popping noise in reverse, my steering wheel has the notorious knock that GM loves to deny, rattles from my rear winshield and lose seat tracks that twang over bumps. Since GM has gotten into money issues they have severly cut production cost and it is sstarting to show. You cant even compare an interior of our balt to a Mazda3 which is more comparable to the last gen 3 series interior.

I am not an import lover that has just joined to bash these cars. Here is a list of all the cars I have owned.

1988 Pontiac Sunbird
1989 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
1990 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 (wanted a stick and the 3.1)
1991 Chevrolet Cavalier RS Wagon (my beater)
1994 Chevrolet Cavalier

I have been a loyal GM customer for years but I ma so dissapointed with there build quality and there terrible service program. Unless you get corporate invloved dealerships are not very willing to help. I have always hated hondas for the fact they are hondas. But I have come to the realization that imports are better built and have better resale, and I am obviously no the only one who thinks so as Kia is the fastes growing auto company in the world, and the three domestics have steadily decreased in profits over the past 15 yrs, I mean for GM, ford and Chrysler have all had to deal with the fact they almost went backrupt

lol...no i asked u y r on a Cobalt forum with a leased car, if u really can't do any performance to it. What I meant to say is why r u on a Cobalt site with a leased car. I just don't see the purpose of it. U urself said u lose retail with domestic cars, so y wud u dump more money into a car u hate so much and know absolutely dick about. And...lmao Buffalo is bad? Haha, how's ur hockey team? Hmmm, they sure made it REAL far. lol

Im pretty sure my hockey team closed you guys out in 5 just cause I live in van doesnt make them my team I grew up in Ontario and have been a sens fan since they came back into the nhl. Besides Vancouver made it to the second round and lost to the team that one the stanley cup.

The reason I leased my car is for the lower monthly. You should get informed about leases they are not much difference from a finance as you can buy the car out at any time and my interest rate is the same as finace so i am not paying anymore for a lease. Also if after four years you need a different or bigger car the lease route has more advantages Like I said in a previous response you can do exhaust intake and stage kits on a leased car without voiding the warranty. Im pretty sure there is no one on this site Canada or America that has a lower monthly than me at 296 mth canadian on a 4 yr lease with only 1900 dwn. Most I have talked to were dumb enough to pay full pop for there SC cause there salesman called it a "rare car"

You obviously now dick about your car or you would have an intake that actually does something, short rams are useless as there is no point putting more air into your engine if it is HOT.

Last edited by BCBalt SC; 07-01-2007 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-01-2007, 07:33 AM

1988 Pontiac Sunbird
1989 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
1990 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 (wanted a stick and the 3.1)
1991 Chevrolet Cavalier RS Wagon (my beater)
1994 Chevrolet Cavalier

I have been a loyal GM customer for years but I ma so dissapointed with there build quality and there terrible service program.
If all you want to do is complain please do yourself and all of us a big favor and trade in your Cobalt today on that Toyota that you really want since we don't really care to listen to your complaints with every variant of GM's four-cylinder engines and entry-level cars. You remind me of all those 60-year old men who buy a car (any car), complain about it every day for 2 years, then trade it in for another one just like it and then proceed to complain about it every day for another two years. On and on forever. No one cares anymore.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:37 AM

Dude read all the industry reviews and the lemon aid guide it is no surprise that GMdidnt have one decent four banger until the ecot ec

And dude I am trying to sell my balt but no one wants it even with me giving 10k off of a seven month old car wow thats amazing resale that a current year SS/SC with less than 20k on it is only worth 18,000 cdn when the sticker was 28,220. A mazda3 sport GT with a 25,000 sticker is still worth about 21,500. The reason I bought this car is the following

$28,220 sticker
$500 rebate
$550 rebate
$1000 GM loyalty bonus
$1000 Car heaven ( gave me a thousand bucks for a car I paid $600 for two yrs earlier)
$2000 discount(The salesman sold me the car at 2000 less than was on the sticker plus all the above discounts

I am asking $1800 to take over a lease pmnt of only $296 cdn including tax and no one wants it

I challenge anyone who put less than 3k down on a 48 mth lease to show me a cheaper monthly even the US guys are paying 300+ on 48 mth lease.

Yes I would take a SS/SC over a Mazda3 GS or Honda DX-G but if you were given the chance to take a MS3, or a new si, vs a SS/SC the the SS/SC only wins on price, the interior is third the resale is third, and the performance is second, the only thing the cobi wins in is looks and just barely
Old 07-01-2007, 07:41 AM

just shut up, no one cares. that was then, n this is now. is it agreed the ecotec is good? yes. Ottawa is good. Vancouver is good. buff is alright. the end. we like our balts if u dont blow it up n collect on insurance. lol. the end.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:43 AM

Are car dealers open on Sundays in BC? I'm sure there is a Toyota dealer in Vancouver; maybe several. Be there when they open and get it done!
Old 07-01-2007, 07:56 AM

just shut up, no one cares. that was then, n this is now. is it agreed the ecotec is good? yes. Ottawa is good. Vancouver is good. buff is alright. the end. we like our balts if u dont blow it up n collect on insurance. lol. the end.

Dude your the one who need to shut the **** up. I mean ur the one adding the rice to your base cobalt ( neon light i mean how much ricier can you get...oh wait i hear the brand you have adds 8.77654 whp in the right conditions
Old 07-01-2007, 08:02 AM

ur the one who brought up the hockey card, I wasnt saying that the sabres were **** im saying that the city of Buffalo is covered in ****

Originally Posted by css9450
Are car dealers open on Sundays in BC? I'm sure there is a Toyota dealer in Vancouver; maybe several. Be there when they open and get it done!
This post is alittle inaccurate read the entire form I never said I wanted a Toyota if I had the chance to do it over I would have saved the extra 5k and got the MS3, but when I'm being offered a SS/SC for less than a Mazda3 GT with only the 2.3 NA I decide to go for the extra power and speed

Last edited by BCBalt SC; 07-01-2007 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Our Cars have a Little Japanese in Them!