General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

People who know nothing about cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
People who know nothing about cars

I'm no rocket scientist and I don't expect everyone to know about cars but it's crazy how so many people don't know anything about cars. Anyone else agree that you should know how to at least change a tire before getting your license? Most of my friends know nothing about a car not even where to place a jack under a car
Old 05-02-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel everyone should have a basic car maintenance class paired with a driver's course before even being considered for a licence. Also, Trucks and SUV's should have a licence endorsement with a class before one can purchase/operate such vehicles. It annoys me how ignorant one is about their vehicle, and those that speak jibberish acting like they know it all.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know how to change a tire (and have pretty much done all my mods) but thinking about that a few days ago I relised my spare is completely useless, I swapped to 5 lug and it's still 4 lug
Old 05-03-2014, 12:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993
I know how to change a tire (and have pretty much done all my mods) but thinking about that a few days ago I relised my spare is completely useless, I swapped to 5 lug and it's still 4 lug
Glad you figured that out the easy way

It should be like the subaru commercial your parents should teach you basic stuff like that before ever getting out on the road in case of emergency if you leave it up to the gov't to teach people there will just be more fees
Old 05-03-2014, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being that I am a technician it drives me fu!Łing insane how many people know NOTHING about their cars. I mean NOTHING....
Old 05-03-2014, 12:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's funny mentioning stuff about cars and just confusing people most of the time.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:45 AM

I work with a guy who is going to school for auto. sadly i know more "book info" than he does, but im sure he has the work skills to fix the car. I can do the basics of maintenance, even replace some basic parts like shocks and struts. I know how the engine works and engine dynamics but can i apply it? not really. but its fun throwing stuff around at people just to confuse them like andrew said
Old 05-03-2014, 01:30 AM
Premium Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Interesting
Old 05-03-2014, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by jcobaltss
I'm no rocket scientist and I don't expect everyone to know about cars but it's crazy how so many people don't know anything about cars. Anyone else agree that you should know how to at least change a tire before getting your license? Most of my friends know nothing about a car not even where to place a jack under a car
Originally Posted by Xmetalhead2003X
I feel everyone should have a basic car maintenance class paired with a driver's course before even being considered for a licence. Also, Trucks and SUV's should have a licence endorsement with a class before one can purchase/operate such vehicles. It annoys me how ignorant one is about their vehicle, and those that speak jibberish acting like they know it all.
It's that way in many european countries. You go through basic parts and systems of the vehicle before you ever get to learn how to drive. In britain, for example, if you pass your driving test in an automatic vehicle, you can't drive a manual.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
Thats really cool, they should do that here. Know how to jump the car, check tires, brakes, oil etc atleast...
Old 05-03-2014, 09:26 AM

they should be able to do all situations that could happen while on the road as well as take a reading and comprehension test because up here in Pennsylvania no one knows how to read street signs which in returns causes accidents and always the ones fault points fingers
Old 05-03-2014, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by serega12
In britain, for example, if you pass your driving test in an automatic vehicle, you can't drive a manual.
I was going to add that as well, but didn't want to build a wall of text I emphasize the SUV endorsement similar to a CDL. People think they are safer (to make up for lack of driving skill) and use them to attempt intimidating drivers in smaller cars etc. Sadly, Americans believe it's a right to drive. It's a privilege, and can be revoked just as easy as it's obtained.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bluekid99
they should be able to do all situations that could happen while on the road as well as take a reading and comprehension test because up here in Pennsylvania no one knows how to read street signs which in returns causes accidents and always the ones fault points fingers
Exactly. Or the people who drive up to the end of a closed/merging lane then expect someone to let them in. I make them sit and wait just like the ones who can't read an overhead sign stating the one is straight and other is left turn, then they block BOTH lanes in an attempt to fix their error rather than circle the block and try again.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by JJVeld
I work with a guy who is going to school for auto. sadly i know more "book info" than he does, but im sure he has the work skills to fix the car. I can do the basics of maintenance, even replace some basic parts like shocks and struts. I know how the engine works and engine dynamics but can i apply it? not really. but its fun throwing stuff around at people just to confuse them like andrew said
Do you know what auto school? Because I went to uti and they teach a lot more book stuff than hands on and them when it's time for hands on it's like 5 ppl in a group trying to get their chance to take something apart. But they also put 5 years of knowledge into a year and a half so you forget a good bit of stuff but overall i learned a good amount. Anyone have any stories of ppl who don't know anything about cars? I was driving with my friend and the way he was braking concerned me so I tell him to let me drive and his brake pedal was seriously a inch from touching the floor.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:44 AM

I've wanted to go to a school like that, but I'm a hands on guy. Books bore me. Not to mention I've talked to employers who have fired every employee who has went to those schools for not being able to handle a simple task. The mostly book curriculum must be the reason.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:53 AM

Once knew a guy who attempted to change his oil using a pipe wrench for the drain plug and stripped it while still in the pan. Needless to say I wasn't the one who saved the day, but I loled pretty hard.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It comes with interest. I'm sure you use things every day and don't know a damn thing about them either.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I sort of fit into the category of not knowing some things. I mean I have installed intakes, exhaust, my twm sts and a few other miscellaneous parts yet I still dont know how to do an oil change (flame on). As far as changing a tire though, it should be common sense. I learned on my own back during my first month of driving.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:15 AM

I was the kid every parent hated. Not because I was bad, but because I was the curious kid. I was notorious for taking things apart to find how they work. To this day, still the same. So yeah actually I do understand a lot about what I use everyday, though I don't consider myself a know it all. Understanding is half the battle when troubleshooting an issue.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

^^^what he said and i'm still looking for the blinker fluid level....
Old 05-03-2014, 12:00 PM

I believe that fluid is tied in with the headlight bearing system. Got to keep them properly lubricated so they flash and switch from high to low effortlessly in perfect harmonic motion.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Xmetalhead2003X
Exactly. Or the people who drive up to the end of a closed/merging lane then expect someone to let them in. I make them sit and wait just like the ones who can't read an overhead sign stating the one is straight and other is left turn, then they block BOTH lanes in an attempt to fix their error rather than circle the block and try again.

And dumb people who think a yield sign is a merg lane...that really irritates me. It's also crazy how some people just aren't curious about how a car works or just even the basic of it. And some simply don't car about a car it just gets them to where they wanna go. I told my friend he needed to change his oil because it hasn't been done in like 6 months and it didn't because a priority to him, like it didn't matter
Old 05-03-2014, 01:32 PM

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
People just gas their car and go and some can't even do that right... My sisters friend somehow put diesel in her car when the pumps are clearly marked.... Speaking of my sister I told her for a straight month do not drive on a spare and what does she do? I get a call at 10:30 from her and my mom asking me to come help her out lol....
Old 05-03-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
90% of these cars can be fixed with a basic mechanic's tool set. #America
Old 05-03-2014, 05:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i believe reading and understanding books are good, but hands on is much better. i went for an automotive course for a year and a half and had to do both. for the most part the basics will get you by even though knowing advanced stuff will benefit and save you money. labor prices are like 90 dollars an hour, hell maybe more.

Quick Reply: People who know nothing about cars