General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

The problem with SS owners????

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up The problem with SS owners????

Is that you make yourself the underdog.
I read in another section that one guy was makin fun out of beating a more expensive higher hp car which we wont name here (350Z) and making fun of how much they paid for it and it got beat by an econo box. i think thats about how he put it.
Fact: msrp on my 04 Z was $27k and change.
Fact: Gf's new Cobalt msrp $25,565.
Thats less than $2k. Not much difference in cost.
Fact: Cobalt is quite a bit lighter and is severely underrated from the factory in terms of horsepower. it should be able to hold it's own.
read on...this isnt about Z vs SS, its about the attitude thats taken by some SS/SC owners. its all good.

You guys/gals (oh, and me because we have one now) should not consider your car "cheap" or "inexpensive econo box" under any circumstance. the SS is a cool car. its quick, handles well. costs about the same as an entry level 350z. and in my opinion, i will call it a sleeper. why? because of the 40hp sandbagging GM did with their advertisement of the hp ratings.
Give the car the credit it is due. and it deserves alot more than some people on here give it.
i'm goin over to the 350z forums and tell em to watch out for the "econo box" supercharged cobalt because it is one quick little car and they can and will be surprised.

However, if you ever see the blububble, we're gonna smoke you! stage 2 or not.

Pedal to the metal fellas!!!!!

Rick
Old 09-21-2006, 01:42 AM

my msrp on my rl was 21k...and i got it for 18k...10k less than ur car...sounds like ur gf got shafted...and not by you...
Old 09-21-2006, 08:16 AM

THere is absolutely no way your g/f bought a 25,565 cobalt. A fully loaded cobalt with every stinking option does not break the 25,000 dollar mark.

If she actually did pay that much then the sales manager at the dealer she bought from is sitting at his desk right now telling all the other employees the story while cracking up.

Oh, and the 350Z is RWD and about 100% easier to launch then a FWD Cobalt so anytime one of the guys on here can beat a 350Z they should be very proud of themselfs.
If everyone on here said, I won't race a 350Z cuz its not a good enough fight, then you would be complaining about that too.

PS, I paid 21,400 for my 07 fully loaded cobalt.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I payed $21,760 for mine with that GM employee discount but I don't know if they uped the price.

P.S. Blububble, thanks for your compliments on the Cobalt in general.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:23 AM

i also paid 25k...but that included everything, extended warranty, undercoat, paint protection and of couse the stripes. no interest for me though!

and i like being the underdog. i like everybody thinking that my car sucks cause then when i come flying past your window and all you see is a couple of taillights and my spoiler the look on your face is priceless! woohoo for being under appreciated!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:23 AM

My car is a pos econo box in which i paid 18 for?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:29 AM

The Z is a very nice car .... definitely a class up on the SC's ! I personally don't bash other cars, as I love all cars! I agree the a debaged, dewinged SC is a sleeper! and yes it's nice to run w/ more expensive cars.... a big plus of the SC.
But, SC's are far from $27k.... got mine w/o G85 for $21.5k
Old 09-21-2006, 08:43 AM

I paid $23k out the door for my straight from tha factory 06 SS/SC .. that canadian as well

I also have extended warranty .. paint protection etc etc .. didnt go with sat radio though cuz i never listen to the radio
Old 09-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Banned

My MSRP was only 14,410 and I paid roughly 11 for it. But i'm not an SS....damn
Old 09-21-2006, 08:55 AM

I love it also people walk by mine and are like what the heck is that???? they look at me all funny like they have no clue what the heck it is other the fact they see SS on the door and are a little stunned kinda like.... is that fast? Oh and the GM badge oh its made by GM but what the heck do they call that ive never seen anything like it. Absolutely great like yeah its actually a Cobalt, but its hold its own with cars that are 10k more. Oh and yeah paid 22K for mine everything in it and some kinda protection plan so whoever paid 25k just for the car musta had some negative equity or something
Old 09-21-2006, 09:04 AM

Who knows, I know I spanked 350z's with my GTO and at times in certain powerbands my SS/SC feels as stout as my GTO or more. Launching is really a bitch in the SS/SC though If anything I look at my SS/SC as I do the 88-91 BMW M3's comparied to regular 3 series.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:04 AM

my car's sticker was 24,900. It is a 06 fully loaded. Lucky for me I got about 3k off the sticker price but I also don't think blububble was talking about prices you can get the car for but prices on the sticker.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:06 AM

Oh yeah, welcome to the site, nice to see another DFW person.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got mine for 18,900 06 ss/sc with all options back in march. Some dealers refuse to come down though, I walked away from about 6 before I found a fair one. Had to go out of state.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sicklyscott
my car's sticker was 24,900. It is a 06 fully loaded. Lucky for me I got about 3k off the sticker price but I also don't think blububble was talking about prices you can get the car for but prices on the sticker.

Oh, I understand that part but if you want to go that route dealer's are asking $22,000 for a 2004 350Z base no option's with 40,000 miles. Now obviously you can dicker down the price and get a good deal on a used 350Z but sticker to sticker a Cobalt SS/SC has a lower starting MSRP then the asking price on a 3 year old 350Z.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Blububble
I read in another section that one guy was makin fun out of beating a more expensive higher hp car which we wont name here (350Z) and making fun of how much they paid for it and it got beat by an econo box. i think thats about how he put it.
Fact: Cobalt is quite a bit lighter and is severely underrated from the factory in terms of horsepower. it should be able to hold it's own.
read on...this isnt about Z vs SS, its about the attitude thats taken by some SS/SC owners. its all good.

You guys/gals (oh, and me because we have one now) should not consider your car "cheap" or "inexpensive econo box" under any circumstance. the SS is a cool car. its quick, handles well. costs about the same as an entry level 350z. and in my opinion, i will call it a sleeper. why? because of the 40hp sandbagging GM did with their advertisement of the hp ratings.
Give the car the credit it is due. and it deserves alot more than some people on here give it.
i'm goin over to the 350z forums and tell em to watch out for the "econo box" supercharged cobalt because it is one quick little car and they can and will be surprised.

Rick

Okay i get that the msrp for your girl's car is 25g's, but how much did she pay out the door? I know i got raped!!! with the cost of my car and it's w/o the lds package, but then again my dad has horrible credit, my mom has horrible credit and pretty much i got f'ed over but then again it's the ss/sc so i dont mind. The smile is brings on my face is worth the cost.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:31 AM

On the other hand you could spend $15K on a built 383 LT1 Z28 with a 300 wet shot of NOS and have a high 10 Sec 1/4 mile car that would beat out million dollar Enzo's.

Different strokes for different folks, I just wanted something that could handle but be FWD for the snow, get good mileage, and most importantly drive something that wasn't slow.

You guys have a long ways to go if you bought your SSs to be mad drag racers. This car actually makes much more sense as an AutoX or road course car since it has a lot more to offer then just above par acceleration.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:33 AM

As many have said, if your girl paid 25k for her car she got screwed! I payed 20,900 OTD 0% interest. That is a cheap econobox of a car.

As for the Z, can you touch a new one for 27k? I know I couldn't. I looked and looked for a enthusiast package Z and the lowest I found was 30k. It was 200 miles away so I didn't even bother going for the drive. Most dealers around here only stock the vert Z and the track Z which run well into the 30s and some push 40k around here. The two cars aren't really comparable.

However, on the street anything goes and if anyone is talking about price difference in cars they have raced and so on then they are just trying to justify their purchase and are probably a little insecure about themselves and their car. That's to be expected, especially here when the average owner is still in high school or college and probably a little immature. No offense to anyone by the way, just telling it like it is.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:51 AM

Welcome to the site Rick! Yes, our cars are $2K+ cheaper just going by msrp, but what are new "Z's" going out the door for? My car has the G85 performance package, is loaded except for onstar and side airbags, and I was out the door for just a tad over $21,000. I think if you compare what we go out the door for and what the Z's go out the door for, you'll see a much much bigger margin. The performance is just as good if not better than the Z, at a much better price. I would say that's worth bragging about! Got any dyno numbers or track times on the "blububble"?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I picked up the RL for $19k out the door... and it's putting 260whp down for about 1k in mods... I also whalloped a mildly modded 350Z and it's G35 couterpart at my last road course...

What's the point of this thread?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:31 AM

IT should be noted that the value of a car is not determined by its speed or power or who it can beat. There is something called build quality and quality of materials that factors into this.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by StikiGreenZ
IT should be noted that the value of a car is not determined by its speed or power or who it can beat. There is something called build quality and quality of materials that factors into this.

It should be noted that the Cobalt is an ECONOMY car. The car was meant to be affordable, have cheap insurance, and get great gas mileage. The fact that the S/C SS combines all of that with the ability to beat many cars much more expensive is just a bonus. I'm completely satisfied with the quality of my SS/SC, and even happier that I paid $5k+ less than 350Z and G35 coupe owners do, all while having great trunk space and the option to carry 2 more passengers. I'm sorry, but a car that costs in the high $20k's to low $30k's, that only has 2 seats and run 14's is not my cup of tea. Buy a Solstice GXP instead.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Banned

i just like the fact that it's being compared to a 350z!

in all reality, the z is about 10,000 more, give or take a little... cobalt is a great car for what it is, and it's hard to get more for the same price...
Old 09-21-2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Blububble

Rick
There are people like that on every single board...But I also wonder how your GF paid that much I got a full warranty with no GM employee discounts and was thousands under that price only thing I didnt get was onstar.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:50 AM

ugh my cobalt ss/sc cost 19k brand new.....

Quick Reply: The problem with SS owners????