General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Problems with your SS/SC???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with your SS/SC???

I've had a few problems so far................

1)My sunroof visor was sticking and the service guys had to fix it.

2)There was a baffle loose in the muffler and they had to order a new one(makes an annoying buzzing sound when you give it the gas(like it's hitting something)... even in 4th!!!!....3 weeks and they still haven't called me(on monday I will yell at them!!!)

3)The housing around the sunroof controls fell right off!!! and the whole thing was just hanging there...(looks really cheap!!!)...They fixed it and now 2 weeks later it's falling off again.

4)Got in the car today and noticed the whole strip around the fog light controls was coming loose.............I had to shove it back in.......WTF ?

Not only that, but when the car came to the dealer I had to wait an extra week because the wipers didn't work and they had to order a new module or something?

And.............I've noticed that, in damp weather, the car fogs up really easy and I have to roll down the windows to air it out...........DAAAAmMN!!!!!!!I hope winter won't really **** me off!!!!!!

I'm loving everything about the car other than that but have any of you had these problems??????
Old 08-14-2005, 04:40 AM

yea the car fogs up way worse then my old civic lol
Old 08-14-2005, 04:49 AM

haha i thought maybe only my sunroof button housing broke
Old 08-14-2005, 08:23 AM
Banned

#1 backup lights weren't working

#2 passenger's side door issues (the one about the leather being too short around the handle thing)

#3 chips around the edge of the tire on two of the wheels

#4 as of yesterday my driver's headlight started fogging up
Old 08-14-2005, 10:19 AM

#1 Sunroof visor sticking - had it fixed but then they messed it up and had to take it in a 2nd time
#2 Gas Cap Tether broke off fuel door
#3 Parking brake light comes on intermittantly - Haven't looked into this yet, doesn't have very often
#4 General comment - the paint job sucks, not quite a full blown orange peel but certainly not as smooth as other cars
Old 08-14-2005, 10:49 AM

dont you all love your warranty. The only problem ive had so far is the exhuast. rattling. I ordered a new one. Its been like 2 months now and nothing.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:12 PM

Is it almost a ringing sound? My base coupe 5speed makes this annoying ringing noise, almost sounds like a bell constantly ringing, when I'm on the gas. Can really notice it at low rpms, but you can hear it really loud around 3-4 grand when you punch it.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Frenstall
#1 Sunroof visor sticking - had it fixed but then they messed it up and had to take it in a 2nd time
#2 Gas Cap Tether broke off fuel door
#3 Parking brake light comes on intermittantly - Haven't looked into this yet, doesn't have very often
#4 General comment - the paint job sucks, not quite a full blown orange peel but certainly not as smooth as other cars
i took my car to my dads yesterday to polish my car and some other things. he was checking it and he was saying how it wasnt smooth and the paint was rather bumpy.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Banned

Not to be so demeaning but it is a brand new car!! Everybody that makes a car for the first year the model is in production it usually has some problems, it's very common. I know that when the evo 8's came out some of the cars would only start every other time you tried to turn the car on. Everybody paid around 23,000.00 for their car and a warranty, so any problems with this car will get fixed no questions asked. Just be patient and understand its a new car.
P.S. If you own a cobalt ss s/c you own one of the sickest tuner cars out now and everybody is jealous of you! So be happy!
Old 08-14-2005, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by glockglade
P.S. If you own a cobalt ss s/c you own one of the sickest tuner cars out now and everybody is jealous of you! So be happy!
Not jealous...but happy for you. I think the cobalt is a nice car.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:42 PM

I won't rain on the parade too much (as I kinda like the Cobalt SS/SC). However, everyone is talking about how this car is so much better than the Cavalier and that it has as good of interior and build quality etc as the imports. Reading this makes me wonder. I know it is the first year but damn....trim falling off etc. seems to remind me of my old Bonneville. Hope this isn't a sign of build quality and ongoing maitenance issues for the Cobalt.

Just for measurement, my Type S has 40K on it (2.5 years old) and I've never, ever had any warranty work required. Won't catch an SS/SC but it isn't that far behind.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:53 PM

#1 passenger's side door issues (the one about the leather being too short around the handle thing

#2 loose bumber retainers on rear bumper

that's it for now, all minor, and waiting for parts...
Old 08-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Banned

I feel your pain but you don't have it as bad as some people do such as myself.

I could give you a nice excel spreadsheet of my problems if your interesting in seeing what happens at 15,000 miles

My problems somewhat include your inquiries... but have you had this happen....

Recall on Exhaust
Oil Change/Car Stratched on Both Sides after words
Door Handle Sticks
Air Conditioner spits water out
Sunroof Trim falls off suddenly
Air Conditioner spits water out(2nd Request)
Supercharger Mount Broken for Coolant Lines
Shift patterns on shift knob breaks
Valance needed replacement
Door Handle Sticks(2nd Request)
Battery Light Came On and stays on
Shifter breaks below the ball
Axle snaped

That's just some of it

Hope they get your problems fixed
Old 08-15-2005, 05:31 PM

I have also had the sunroof button trim fall off. I've also had problem with it back firing when i downshift or just coast in gear. It also sputters in the morning even when it doesn't get cold. My trunk hits the top of the rear bumper from "closing it too hard" thats what i was told anyways. But other than tht its doing great.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:37 PM

Oh and by the way has anyone noticed how small the spare tire is? I expected its width to be very minimal but the overal diameter is much smaller than the tires on the car. Wonder how it would do on the front?
Old 08-15-2005, 06:09 PM

Just so you know I was only pointing out the defects I've experienced and most are minor. I still love this car and wouldn't trade it for anything in it's price range. If I'm ever feeling a little depressed about the quality of my car I just shut off the radio, hit the gas and listen to that sweet sounding engine.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:16 PM

problems

Well, got my SS in june, counting the original exhaust this is the third one on this car. The last one sounds good but the last two did'nt start to make the "loose baffle" noise until about 50 miles - got a couple to go. I also had a long wait for parts to come in.
Had the bumper retainer problem also.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gdavis
Well, got my SS in june, counting the original exhaust this is the third one on this car. The last one sounds good but the last two did'nt start to make the "loose baffle" noise until about 50 miles - got a couple to go. I also had a long wait for parts to come in.
Had the bumper retainer problem also.
whoever did your exhaust is a retart. no offense.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:31 PM

I am supposed to take mine in next week for a new muffler. Does anyone know why this happens, is GM issuing a recall?
Old 08-15-2005, 08:08 PM

Most problems the cars are having are very nit-picky, and minor problems. How many powertrain or tranny problems have you heard of? Very few. The only "problems" my car has is a small chip on one of my wheels, and the passenger side leather seperating a little form the pw/pdl area..

It's a double-edged sword for having the dealerfix every problem, and GM, hearing about these minor problems. Yea, it's great for future Cobalt owners, but these problems are also researched by JD power, and other mags. that will use this to justify calling these cars unreliable and junk. They don't care what the complaints are, they just record the amount of complaints, then make a judgement on the car based upon those stats.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:24 PM

exhaust

I just talked to GM today, I also have the same problem with my exhaust as many people are. Word i got today was GM had to re-design the exhaust, and that they were going out today, fed-ex. We'll see if it's true.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:40 PM

Damn , I feel kinda lucky . I havent had one issue yet in the 6K miles Ive driven mine . Just curious as to the build dates on the cars that are having problems ? My no problem SS/SC was built 5/05 . I would venture to say the later 05's and the current model year SS's arent having all these issues .
Old 08-15-2005, 08:41 PM

build date

My car was built may 25/05
Old 08-16-2005, 09:38 PM

The build date on mine was right around Keepers date................end of May/05.

Still waiting on the muffler and it seems to be getting worse............Am I losing HP?
Old 08-17-2005, 06:51 PM

hp

well i've been waiting for a total of over 4 weeks for my new muffler now, and I have noticed a decrese in my fuel milage since then. I got better milage the very first tank of gas I had in it compared to now with 12 500 kms on it

Quick Reply: Problems with your SS/SC???