General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

"Recipe for Power"? And a couple other questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Recipe for Power"? And a couple other questions...

Hey guys. 3 parts to this post.

1. I was flipping through my new Super Street issue the other day and noticed something quite odd for a magazine that mainly features cars like Civic's to Supra's. It was in a section called "Recipe for Power". Fair enough. It basically showed different common engines, then gave listings of parts to increase your hp by 25%, 50%, etc. It showed Honda, Toyota, blah blah blah. Then suddenly, it listed a Chevy. Huh? It said "Ecotec/LSJ". WTF? They not only featured a Cobalt motor, but actually called it an LSJ. lol. Interesting. So I began reading. I've seen alot of people do these mods listed and I wanted to know how legit they are. If there's anything you'd add or remove or just plain do differently. The only thing was it said "Ecotec/LSJ". The LSJ has 205 hp stock and it listed it at 173. The same as the 2.4 SS. Dunno. Regardless, here's the break-down of mods...

Stage 1: +25% = 216 hp
- CAI (Injen, AEM, etc.)
- Performance honed exhaust manifold (GM)
- Performance cat-back (GM, etc.)
- Stage II 2.8-inch pulley (GM)
- ECU re-flash (HP Tuners)
Stage 2: +50% = 257 hp
- Progressive methanol injection *WTF is this? lol*
- Colder spark plugs
- Billet flywheel
Stage 3: +75% = 302 hp
- Drive by wire 50 shot nitrous
Stage 4: +100% = 346 hp
- Forged pistons
- Camshafts
- Adjustable cam gears (GM)
- Exhaust porting
- Nitrous, 75 shot

So again, what's your take on this list? What'd you add? Subtract? Anything that's bullshit? And what in the hell is progressive methanol injection? lol. Sorry if this is a form of a re-post. I did 2 different searches and didn't find anything...

2. I have a 2.4 SS. I know the LSJ is the code for the supercharged 2.0. What's the code for the 2.4? lol. And obviously, until you supercharge/turbocharge the 2.4, your mods won't go as far as the boosted motor, but will most of these mods still do just as well in the n/a 2.4 as in the 2.0 s/c?

3. For the GM stage kits, what's the breakdown of parts/mods included in these kits? how many are there? A link would suffice perfectly. Are those stage kits basically just for the s/c, or is anything usable on the 2.4 in terms of the GM kits?

Thanks!!!!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:07 AM

22 looks and no responses??

And by the way, in response to the GM stage kits, is there only 2? If so, I found the info I needed...
Old 06-05-2007, 09:10 AM

search

Look at the CED website you will find a lot of info there. No the stage kits are only for the LSJ and there are three.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:15 AM

CED site? The GM site only lists 2? And I did search I said.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Banned

There is 3..... And the horsepower on the lsj doesnt start at 173..... Or maybe they dynoed on a heartbreaker mustang dyno
Old 06-05-2007, 09:20 AM

I know the HP isn't rated at 173. That's why I said "The LSJ has 205 hp stock and it listed it at 173. The same as the 2.4 SS. Dunno." So for some reason, something was just messed up. But in other words, these numbers will just be better, correct?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Banned

They dont know what the hell they are talking about.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I'm not mistaken, the GM Stage 2 pulley is 3.01" and the Stage 3 pulley is 2.99" or something close. GM doesn't make a 2.8" but a lot of aftermarket companies does.

Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
CED site? The GM site only lists 2? And I did search I said.
Crate Engine Depot.

Look in the 2.4SS section all your questions can be answered there.

Stage 1 is tune and injectors
Stage 2 is Stage 1 + pulley hub, smaller pulley and belt
Stage 3 is Stage 2 + new PCM, smaller pulley, and dual pass intercooler end plate
Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First of all, your engine code is LE5.

Second, I think you're assuming way too much. If you were to supercharge your car, there is alot you are probably missing as far as how high your combustion chamber temperatures will be...you're talking about going to a 2.8" pulley but you really DON'T know how much power you would even make with a 3.5" pulley. I know of L61 guys who are making around 215-230 HP with the stock pulley and running/ran low 14s to 13s with no other engine modifications besides colder spark plugs. They are 10.0:1 compression, you're 10.4:1 compression. I know from a close friend that his temperatures were getting kind of high even with that size pulley. There are a few who tried venturing off to a 3.0" pulley and had nothing but issues with heat.

Biggest problem from the beginning is that the roots supercharger isn't very efficient and builds heat easily. Why do you think the LSJ comes 9.5:1? Lower static compression = Lower Engine Temperatures.

You woulnd't be able to use the cam gears...you have a Cam Phasing which basically changes your cam timing on the fly.

Exhaust porting? huh?

Meth injection is to help lower combustion chamber temperatures but should honestly be a last resort and not a everday use.

Now, forged pistons...ok...what compression? This is very important to know. It honestly means nothing when you say forged pistons, forging is just the process of how they make the pistons, doesn't necessarily mean that they are stronger.

What type of camshafts? Who designed them? For what type of vehicle are they for? For what kind of powerband?

Overall, it's a very incomplete list that you have. There are alot of important details that are left out of this that need to be there. There is sooo much thought that should go into it besides just listing engine parts...there are theories to think about, where to buy products, what kind of product/part would be good for what you're aiming for, the certain design you're looking for and the list goes on.

NOTE: I'm not sure if you were talking about for YOUR car or just in general. If it's in general, than let me know...I'd have to change my post.

Last edited by NJHK; 06-05-2007 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-05-2007, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
First of all, your engine code is LE5.

Second, I think you're assuming way too much. If you were to supercharge your car, there is alot you are probably missing as far as how high your combustion chamber temperatures will be...you're talking about going to a 2.8" pulley but you really DON'T know how much power you would even make with a 3.5" pulley. I know of L61 guys who are making around 215-230 HP with the stock pulley and running/ran low 14s to 13s with no other engine modifications besides colder spark plugs. They are 10.0:1 compression, you're 10.4:1 compression. I know from a close friend that his temperatures were getting kind of high even with that size pulley. There are a few who tried venturing off to a 3.0" pulley and had nothing but issues with heat.

Biggest problem from the beginning is that the roots supercharger isn't very efficient and builds heat easily. Why do you think the LSJ comes 9.5:1? Lower static compression = Lower Engine Temperatures.

You woulnd't be able to use the cam gears...you have a Cam Phasing which basically changes your cam timing on the fly.

Exhaust porting? huh?

Meth injection is to help lower combustion chamber temperatures but should honestly be a last resort and not a everday use.

Now, forged pistons...ok...what compression? This is very important to know. It honestly means nothing when you say forged pistons, forging is just the process of how they make the pistons, doesn't necessarily mean that they are stronger.

What type of camshafts? Who designed them? For what type of vehicle are they for? For what kind of powerband?

Overall, it's a very incomplete list that you have. There are alot of important details that are left out of this that need to be there. There is sooo much thought that should go into it besides just listing engine parts...there are theories to think about, where to buy products, what kind of product/part would be good for what you're aiming for, the certain design you're looking for and the list goes on.

NOTE: I'm not sure if you were talking about for YOUR car or just in general. If it's in general, than let me know...I'd have to change my post.
ahhh thank you sir, you have typed what the lazy refuse too .......
Old 06-05-2007, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by cobi
Crate Engine Depot.

Look in the 2.4SS section all your questions can be answered there.

Stage 1 is tune and injectors
Stage 2 is Stage 1 + pulley hub, smaller pulley and belt
Stage 3 is Stage 2 + new PCM, smaller pulley, and dual pass intercooler end plate
The Stage 3 does not include the Stage 2. You have stage 2 installed first before you can install/use the stage 3.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:55 AM

^^ He means Stage 1 + Stage 2, then add Stage 3, correct?

And NJHK, that was just the list given in the article. I didn't add or change anything. I know nothing about building up these motors. I only know how to build up a Honda, and some about the GM 3800. That's just why I was asking, because I didn't know. But it surely seems like if you want any large ammount of gains in performance, you've gotta go LSJ? Correct? Sure, you can make good power with the 2.4, but you can never go wrong with boost. But it basically seems like I should just do my CAI, ECU tune, and maybe MAYBE GM exhuast performance-wise, then in two years, go from there. Maybe not even the ECU tune. I don't know...
Old 06-05-2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by fr33k
The Stage 3 does not include the Stage 2. You have stage 2 installed first before you can install/use the stage 3.
thanks for the correction, I knew that but labeled it wrong. +1 rep for the help

And NJHK, that was just the list given in the article. I didn't add or change anything. I know nothing about building up these motors. I only know how to build up a Honda, and some about the GM 3800. That's just why I was asking, because I didn't know. But it surely seems like if you want any large ammount of gains in performance, you've gotta go LSJ? Correct? Sure, you can make good power with the 2.4, but you can never go wrong with boost. But it basically seems like I should just do my CAI, ECU tune, and maybe MAYBE GM exhuast performance-wise, then in two years, go from there. Maybe not even the ECU tune. I don't know...
I like your list their at the end with CAI, exhaust, and a tune. Guys have been getting good results using the stock LSJ injectors and a custom tune. You may want to throw a header in their also.

Last edited by cobi; 06-05-2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-05-2007, 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=cobi;1102528]thanks for the correction, I knew that but labeled it wrong. +1 rep for the help

No problem. Some sites say that the stage 3 includes all of the stage 2 components.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by cobi
I like your list their at the end with CAI, exhaust, and a tune. Guys have been getting good results using the stock LSJ injectors and a custom tune. You may want to throw a header in their also.
Yeah, especially with me being undecided on keeping the car after the lease (that's why I was undecided on the ECU tune, at least everything else is removable). The CAI, exhaust, etc are tried and true power builders. Obviously you're not gonna have 500 hp and walk all over Corvettes with a CAI and an exhaust, but it'll add a little more and be a bit more fun as well. I have an intake and exhaust on my Monte and love it. I also added synthetic tranny fluid to my Monte (50+ mileage) and it was amazing. If I keep the Coby, I'm definately doing that too. My only issue with the Coby is it's an auto. But at the time, we did it for a reason. It is much easier on around town travels and in traffic though. But man do I miss in my Honda being in 5th on the highway, downshifting into 3rd and taking off. But for an auto, the 2.4 SS's auto is pretty responsive. I just don't like being "that guy". lol. But I do like the consistancy of the auto for launches and the like...
Old 06-05-2007, 11:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I believe they got the 173 as a guestimation of WHP from the SS/SC. I have to say that with that in mind all of the numbers they have come up with are pure specualtion and not based on them actually doing any mods at all, I doubt they even did a stock dyno. So, I wouldn't put any faith in any of those nubmers. Just a quick glance over the mods + numbers they give do not look right at all.

To actually get 350 HP out of a cobalt is going to probably take a little more then just all the mods they have listed - at least if you want the car to stay in one piece.

Last edited by rnjmur; 06-05-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:11 AM

Yeah, especially with me being undecided on keeping the car after the lease (that's why I was undecided on the ECU tune, at least everything else is removable). The CAI, exhaust, etc are tried and true power builders. Obviously you're not gonna have 500 hp and walk all over Corvettes with a CAI and an exhaust, but it'll add a little more and be a bit more fun as well. I have an intake and exhaust on my Monte and love it. I also added synthetic tranny fluid to my Monte (50+ mileage) and it was amazing. If I keep the Coby, I'm definately doing that too. My only issue with the Coby is it's an auto. But at the time, we did it for a reason. It is much easier on around town travels and in traffic though. But man do I miss in my Honda being in 5th on the highway, downshifting into 3rd and taking off. But for an auto, the 2.4 SS's auto is pretty responsive. I just don't like being "that guy". lol. But I do like the consistancy of the auto for launches and the like...
yah I wondered if you were an auto, you could also add a tranny controller to that list, I think B&M makes one.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotcha. My bad.

As far as "only motor to make power"...no. Any engine that is built correctly can be powerful, it's less about the engine you have and more about the mentality you have.