General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Regret....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regret....

The Cobalt ss/sc. GM's new sport compact! After years of dissapointments like Sunfire Cavilier and chevette big GM gets it done right...yeah right! Hello, I am not a troll. I am not hatin. I am just one of GM's shattered soldiers. I own a 2005 Black on black Cobalt ss/sc. I have been faithful to GM, mainly chevy since before I even knew how to drive. I've owned an 88' monte carlo ss, 87' camaro IROCZ,73' El Camino and a 2005 Colorado. For me it's always been Chevy. No matter what anyone says. I loved there products and there legacy. In the 50's 60's and 70's GM was instrumental to the american auto industries growth. They had fresh desighns, awsome power plants and were on the cutting edge of everything. WHAT THE **** HAPPENED! Their once proud legacy has been in slow decline over the past 30+ years, Losing RWD, not keeping up with market trends, half assed attempts at prefomance products. O.K O.K yeah theve got their trucks and cadillac and of couse the darling corvette. But what about the bread and butter cars.What about the cars everyday Joe coffes can afford. Almost every competiter's car in any class is superior to the GM product. Every comparison test I see if it's got somethig from GM in there, it's in last place. I try, have tried, for years to convince myself that EVERY car magazine is biased toward imports. Thats just not the case is it. Imorts are on the cutting edge now, the newest technology and BMW never gave up on rear drive so why did chevy? Why? DSG transmissions, AWD, DOHC,5 hell even 6 speed autos not to mention ipod. The import cars got what the public wants. Not GM. Will they ever catch up? And lets not even talk about interior Quality. Face it we now live in a world were Hyndais are better cars than Chevys. More standard features, more options, better warrentys and more with the times. It seems for every one step GM takes forward they take two back. There products look good on paper, but they turn out half baked. Which brings us to the Cobalt ss/sc. I lusted after this car for months when I first read about it. Fnally a new car from Chevy that really sparks my intrest. I did what ever I had to do to get one. It took 3 months for mine to come in. After living with it for a year I see just how lacking it truly is compared to the competition. The interior scks and is made with cheap materials. 5 speed in the age of 6 speeds not to mention DSG. The new VW GTI has a nicer interior and better features than the cobalt. Sure it's not as fast on paper. But it's a nicer car. Just like we say when we compare to the SRT4. This is the most dissapointing car I've ever owend. It has'nt even been out for that long and the comp. has already surpassed it. When news of the car first came out, the whole sport compact community looked to see. The the ones who hoped for the best ended up dissapointed. And the ones that new better laughed and keep laughing at this poor, half assed excuse for a sport compact. This bloated supercharged cavalier. American rice. GM just trying to keep up and only nipping at the heels of the comp. nice in thought. Poor execution.Waste of money, waste of time,oh well. Will they ever make something groundbreaking again. Something that makes the comp. shake with fear. Probably not. Either way, I'm not waiting around to see.Guess I'll trade it in for a Mazdaspeed 3. Sorry for the rant. But it had to be done. Call me a traitor or an import fan boy. But no matter what you try and tell yourself, you know, DEEP down that every word I put down is truth.

Ashamed owner of the worst car in the world.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:33 PM

Sorry your dissapointed with GM. Good luck with your Mazda..
Old 03-28-2006, 03:34 PM

people are so hard to please nowadays, i like my cobalt just fine.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:37 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
you really sound like a tool. Its a great car and I feel no loss at you selling yours. I love mine and dollar for dollar it's worth every penny.
Good-bye

ps I don't even believe you own a Cobalt
Old 03-28-2006, 03:38 PM

I am inclined to disagree but to each there own!

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2006, 03:39 PM

join the fourms just to bag on the cobalt?
Old 03-28-2006, 03:39 PM

I'll be the last to defend GM blindly but this car is a good car ... DSG and a Audi interior come at the price of ....an Audi ..have you seen how much the "competition" costs ???

you mention catering to the majority when talking about what GM should do, yet you say you insist RWD ...I hate to break it to you but the majority of people like FWD its us enthusiasts that prefer RWD ... I would LOVE a RWD cobalt ...but GM would go down if they developed a compact car around a niche market

you want AWD, DOHC,5 hell even 6 speed autos yet admit that our car beats cars with those trinkets for less money

Now I cant say our car is better at everything ..but the cobalt is perfectly suited for what I want ... its good enough in its class for the things that are low on my priority list ...(like dsg gearboxes) and it does the things I want it to do exceptional ...I think maybe the problem is less with GM and more with you not understanding what you want in a car ..
Old 03-28-2006, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too have owned old chevys and I am too faithful. The truth is no one builds cars like they used to. You can't beat the ss/sc for 20k though...
Old 03-28-2006, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by iconz
join the fourms just to bag on the cobalt?

No kidding, ONE post.... I can't believe I almost read the whole thing!!!!

Old 03-28-2006, 03:45 PM

Sorry you feel that way. I to am a diehard chevy man. I LOVE my Cobalt thou. I have never had any major problems with it. I currently own 4 Chevy vehicles, and won't trade them in for anything(well maybe a Mercedes). Good luck with your Mazada.....I hope it makes you happy!
Old 03-28-2006, 03:57 PM

CHEVY IS GOD!
Old 03-28-2006, 03:59 PM

etool ya the name says it all.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:01 PM

i also notice he did not make one mention of the GTO....best bang for the buck muscle car wise today...although this is the last year until 09'
Old 03-28-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by etool
Hello, I am not a troll. I am not hatin.
Yes, by definition you are a troll. And you are "hatin".

What about the cars everyday Joe coffes can afford. Almost every competiter's car in any class is superior to the GM product.
Do you want affordable or do you want top of the line quality? Chevrolet is GM's bottom line product, what are you expecting? BMW quality? The SS/SC is built for the economy crowd, just like the SRT-4. If you want better quality, you've got to pay more money.

AWD, DOHC,5 hell even 6 speed autos not to mention ipod.
Again...AWD...yet you want something the average Joe can afford. One or the other - pick. DOHC?????? Why is that even on the list? My Cavi was DOHC, my SS/SC is DOHC...don't really see your point there. Chevy has 5 speed autos in the Malibu and other cars. I know because I had one for a rental. The new HHR has iPod support. Again, don't know why you're bashing Chevy without researching what they actually do and do not have...

Face it we now live in a world were Hyndais are better cars than Chevys.
Oh jeezus that was funny.

The interior scks and is made with cheap materials. 5 speed in the age of 6 speeds not to mention DSG.
Again, you're expecting what from a $20k car??? As far as tranny, 6 speed is not necessarily superior to 5 speed. It's about matching the tranny to the powerband. I think the SS/SC would absolutely SUCK with a 6-speed, so don't really see the point there.

The the ones who hoped for the best ended up dissapointed. And the ones that new better laughed and keep laughing at this poor, half assed excuse for a sport compact. This bloated supercharged cavalier. American rice. GM just trying to keep up and only nipping at the heels of the comp. nice in thought.
You sound suspiciously like a Honda fanboy. Seriously. That looks like something copied and pasted straight from a pro-Honda forum. This "half-assed excuse for a sport compact" is tearing things up in SCCA and Grand-Am Cup racing. But you're right, it's horrible. Pathetic even.

But no matter what you try and tell yourself, you know, DEEP down that every word I put down is truth.
No, it's not. But you go on and keep telling yourself that.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:14 PM

as I'm sure u can see in me sig, i own a 87 Monte SS. Just lettin ya know, thats lowest Hp SS EVER MAD!!! If your disapinted in this mid 14sec cobbalt, i can't understand how u can be so proud of that thing? Granted, I have 1, in mint condition, but it has a ZZ4, and my dad built from the ground up. Thats y i love mine so much.

U actually made me wanna go buy this car just a lil more then i already do!

BTW, for the price, this things HANDS DOWN beats the compititin. And if I was buying a car for the insides, I wouldn't be buying ANY CAR under 50K Great job ya MORON! WAY TO BE BIASED AGAINST THIS CAR WHEN YOUR 4K LBS HUNKS A CRAP CAN'T EVEN KEEP UP WITH THIS!!!

Spam = That guys first post
Old 03-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Banned

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. And yes I do really own a cobalt. I'm not bagging on the car, it's just I had such high hopes for chevy on this one and I feel let down. Chevrolet has been the end all be all for me as far as cars go. I may be a little older than most of the users on here but I thought Etool was a cool name. Whoops. The point that I'm tring to make is I grew up in a time were chevrolet was on top. And now it hurts me to see things this way. I know the public prefers Fwd but they could have rear drivers too. Kinda like what Chrysler is doing. As far as options and "what the competion costs" I know. The ss is bang for the buck but Back in Chevy's hey day the cars had a long list of options, and you could get one any way you wanted. I don't hate my car maybe I was a little harsh but it seems that GM is just letting this car slide. What happened to the stage kits and the factory support. I don't know. I like my ss. It's just I remember chevy then and what I see now hurts. They used to put out top notch cars for better price back then too. **** it I love Chevy still, I just want what used too be. Thanks for listening I guess I just had to vent.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Banned

Well I will agree with most statements on it. My Cobalt has been in the shop all week alone because of interior pieces breaking, paint chipping, discolored etc. I've only owned it for a year.... I've drove it for maybe seven months
Old 03-28-2006, 04:20 PM

"Ashamed owner of the worst car in the world"

You stupid ass troll, go f*ck yourself in your zoom zoom
Old 03-28-2006, 04:23 PM

Kentucy = KentucKy Just thought I should let you know...
Old 03-28-2006, 04:25 PM

Hate to break it to you...but I came to GM from the other side of the fence (VW).

Sure the GTI is a sweet car with a killer interior, awsome engineering, potent engine and amazing gearbox.......which costs a cool TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS MORE than the SS/Sc in canada.

Sure the Civic Si has an independant rear suspension and can probably (slightly) outhandle the SS/SC but the SS/SC can outrun the Si. It also has a kick ass gearbox...but the styling is a bit too "out there" for me...both inside and out...not to mention that the interior is rattle-fest 2006 (in the Si I tested). The motor is smooth but a torqueless wonder..I did not feel that I could relax when I drove it.....I have used my arms less in a rowboat with all the shifting and the high reving engine is cool at first...but gets super annoying after awhile. I liked the low end torque that the SS/SC had...the Si did not push you back in your seat like the SS/SC did.

Sure you could look at a WRX STI - about $50K in Canada

An Evo? Nope...cant get those here!

Tiburon V-6? Again...not unless you get the top trim level which is 30K in Canada.

Acura RSX-S? Haha...your looking at over 30K easy for a Type-S and around 28K for the gutless 160Hp RSX in Canada.

You have to judge the SS/SC for what it IS nather than what it has no intention of being.

The SS/SC is:

A very quick sports coupe with a well engineered, potent, torquey engine and well suited drivetrain FOR THE MONEY.

A comfortable, well optioned interior (leather, AC, very good audio system, Cruise) with good fit and finish.

A very good handling car considering the fact that it has a twist-beam rear end.

A proven platform based on the Opel Astra with a proven drivetrain from the Saab 9-3.

A great car FOR THE MONEY!

The SS/SC is NOT:

An entry level sport-lux like a VW.

A cutting edge platform with cutting edge engine/trans/doodads like a VW.

An S2000 (which is a street legal RWD track car).

An EVO/STI (which are street legal rally cars).

Are there faster cars out there? Yes.
Are there better handing cars out there? Yes.
Are there cars with flawless fit and finish out there? Yes.
Are there more luxurious cars out there? Yes.

Can I get any of this for 23.5K (what I paid for my car with sunroof) cdn? Haha!.....No!!

Do I think that the SS/SC is the best car in it's class? Based on how I drive, yes it is. Might not be for you....but you are not me

-P
Old 03-28-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is no way I'm gonna lock this thread. This is simply good debate, which is the whole purpose for a web board. Just keep it clean boys (cough - ASSTYME! - cough).
Old 03-28-2006, 04:40 PM

Sure I've had some minor warrenty issues and ya I would like better paint on the car, but pound for pound I wouldn't trade my Cobalt for any other car under $30,000 Can. It has definetly grown on me.

Besides my wife likes it so I like it. (Married guys you know what I mean).
Old 03-28-2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
There is no way I'm gonna lock this thread. This is simply good debate, which is the whole purpose for a web board. Just keep it clean boys (cough - ASSTYME! - cough).
Some noobe comes in here with their first post and rips the Cobalt & GM to **** then signs off saying "Ashamed owner of the worst car in the world".

Gets my blood boiling

Maybe his nick should be efool
Old 03-28-2006, 04:46 PM

The Cobalt ss/sc. GM's new sport compact! After years of dissapointments like Sunfire Cavilier and chevette big GM gets it done right...yeah right! Hello, I am not a troll. I am not hatin. I am just one of GM's shattered soldiers. I own a 2005 Black on black Cobalt ss/sc. I have been faithful to GM, mainly chevy since before I even knew how to drive. I've owned an 88' monte carlo ss, 87' camaro IROCZ,73' El Camino and a 2005 Colorado. For me it's always been Chevy. No matter what anyone says. I loved there products and there legacy. In the 50's 60's and 70's GM was instrumental to the american auto industries growth. They had fresh desighns, awsome power plants and were on the cutting edge of everything. WHAT THE **** HAPPENED! Their once proud legacy has been in slow decline over the past 30+ years, Losing RWD, not keeping up with market trends, half assed attempts at prefomance products. O.K O.K yeah theve got their trucks and cadillac and of couse the darling corvette. But what about the bread and butter cars.What about the cars everyday Joe coffes can afford. Almost every competiter's car in any class is superior to the GM product. Every comparison test I see if it's got somethig from GM in there, it's in last place. I try, have tried, for years to convince myself that EVERY car magazine is biased toward imports. Thats just not the case is it. Imorts are on the cutting edge now, the newest technology and BMW never gave up on rear drive so why did chevy? Why? DSG transmissions, AWD, DOHC,5 hell even 6 speed autos not to mention ipod. The import cars got what the public wants. Not GM. Will they ever catch up? And lets not even talk about interior Quality. Face it we now live in a world were Hyndais are better cars than Chevys. More standard features, more options, better warrentys and more with the times. It seems for every one step GM takes forward they take two back. There products look good on paper, but they turn out half baked. Which brings us to the Cobalt ss/sc. I lusted after this car for months when I first read about it. Fnally a new car from Chevy that really sparks my intrest. I did what ever I had to do to get one. It took 3 months for mine to come in. After living with it for a year I see just how lacking it truly is compared to the competition. The interior scks and is made with cheap materials. 5 speed in the age of 6 speeds not to mention DSG. The new VW GTI has a nicer interior and better features than the cobalt. Sure it's not as fast on paper. But it's a nicer car. Just like we say when we compare to the SRT4. This is the most dissapointing car I've ever owend. It has'nt even been out for that long and the comp. has already surpassed it. When news of the car first came out, the whole sport compact community looked to see. The the ones who hoped for the best ended up dissapointed. And the ones that new better laughed and keep laughing at this poor, half assed excuse for a sport compact. This bloated supercharged cavalier. American rice. GM just trying to keep up and only nipping at the heels of the comp. nice in thought. Poor execution.Waste of money, waste of time,oh well. Will they ever make something groundbreaking again. Something that makes the comp. shake with fear. Probably not. Either way, I'm not waiting around to see.Guess I'll trade it in for a Mazdaspeed 3. Sorry for the rant. But it had to be done. Call me a traitor or an import fan boy. But no matter what you try and tell yourself, you know, DEEP down that every word I put down is truth.

Ashamed owner of the worst car in the world.

Dude, you sir are a tool and your opinion sucks! i can't believe you're bagging on such a great car with a kickass price tag that happens to come from a good comnpany. whew, that was a lot but really keep the fanboy crap to yourself.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Banned

like I said I'm Not bagging on the car. And yes it has a kick ass price tag. Simply put you get what you pay for.