General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Replaced my headlight assemblies...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced my headlight assemblies...

Hi,

I replaced my headlight assemblies on my '06 with a set of DEPO HID assemblies. Well, either I'm not used to HID lights, or I'm an idiot.

I did the standard adjustment, measure center of light, mark a vertical surface, everything level, back 25 feet, adjust just under the marks. That was about useless, and it seems the left light influences the right side more than the right light illuminates anything.

Since I drive old cars, I'm not experienced with how HID's work. But the cut-off at the upper end of the beam cuts off, not fade away, I mean light/blackness.

Then, if I look at the pattern of each light as a line from left to right, they both travel a line, then shift up a bit, then continue at the higher level. Seems like if there is an odd pattern, they should do the opposite.

Like I said, I kinda had to wing it, but now I'm afraid I went too high.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. This isn't my first headlight adjustment, but it is the most difficult one.

Last edited by edacsac; 03-14-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:07 PM

Received 132 Likes on 109 Posts
With generation projectors your never going to get the perfect cutoff. The quality just isnt there. I havent worked with the gen 4s but if they are anything like the gen 3s, its a waste of time.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got any pictures of what you're talking about? It sounds to me like what you're describing is normal for projectors
Old 03-15-2016, 08:00 AM

I could probably take a picture tonight. So if this is normal, what exactly is the benefit of projectors?
Old 03-15-2016, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
High quality projectors have superior light output. The depo ones are really so you dont blind oncoming traffic or theyre just for looks. When i had depo gen2 it didnt even seem like they were designed to fit HID bulbs.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:28 AM

So the funky light pattern is the curve to keep the light out of oncoming traffic? I read something about this, but didn't think it would be so pronounced.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
my depo lights seems to curve up at the ends...

post a pic
Old 03-15-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
I aim my projectors low, I know they can blind the **** out of people so I went conservative with my aim. My lights don't go above most people's bumpers but I still have opposite traffic flash me thinking my hi beams are one, then I flash back so they can see the difference lol
Old 03-15-2016, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dutchman
I aim my projectors low, I know they can blind the **** out of people so I went conservative with my aim. My lights don't go above most people's bumpers but I still have opposite traffic flash me thinking my hi beams are one, then I flash back so they can see the difference lol
So you get what, 20ft sight then pitch black?

After my first, by-the-book adjustment, I drove down my side street and had to break hard because a car parked on the roadside appeared out of nowhere.

I'm probably getting 150ft ahead right now, but I'm definitely above anyone's bumper.

I suppose it will take awhile to find a happy middle ground.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:49 PM

It should look more or less like this. Straight cutoff with a step or slope. The step is what keeps it less likely that your car bounces and gives oncoming traffic an eyeful of concentrated light lol and the step up is what gives you more distance in your lane.

It sounds like you need to upgrade to hid projectors. Most aftermarket projector headlights have hideous output even with halogen bulbs, which they're made for, and throwing in hid's in there only makes things worse
Old 03-15-2016, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fsanti87

It should look more or less like this. Straight cutoff with a step or slope. The step is what keeps it less likely that your car bounces and gives oncoming traffic an eyeful of concentrated light lol and the step up is what gives you more distance in your lane.

It sounds like you need to upgrade to hid projectors. Most aftermarket projector headlights have hideous output even with halogen bulbs, which they're made for, and throwing in hid's in there only makes things worse
That is what I see. Thank you for posting that! I thought something was broken.

So it's a feature that I shouldn't see as far on the left side of the road.

Is the HID upgrade just bulbs? It would be silly to replace the assemblies that I just bought.

thank you again!
Old 03-15-2016, 08:47 PM

Based on that image, although I don't know how much distance it is, I may be too high.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by edacsac
That is what I see. Thank you for posting that! I thought something was broken.

So it's a feature that I shouldn't see as far on the left side of the road.

Is the HID upgrade just bulbs? It would be silly to replace the assemblies that I just bought.

thank you again!
Hids is bulbs and ballasts. Those will actually melt your projectors or the bulbs themselves eventually. If you want the best light output possible, then the only way to go is retros. Gen projectors are for looks more than anything.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:49 AM

So wait, do you already have hid bulbs in your housings or no? Now I'm confused because the first post you said you have hid. But like double clutch said, things will burn. But if you're lucky there may be direct replacements of the projectors you have if you're willing to upgrade
Old 03-16-2016, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Dutchman
I had that happen to me once lol

I ran hids in all my aftermarket headlights and never had a problem with melting.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:09 PM

I had my drivers side bulb melt on me. Free replacement tho
Old 03-17-2016, 06:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I Noticed something similar to what you're talking about with my ZZP Projectors that I installed. Then driving down a road at night revieled the logic in it.
The right side being higher illuminated the roadsigns on the right side of the road. The middle part illuminated my lane, while the left part cutting off lower on the oncoming traffic side. Even matched up with the White line and the yellow line on the road.

Originally Posted by edacsac
Hi,

I replaced my headlight assemblies on my '06 with a set of DEPO HID assemblies. Well, either I'm not used to HID lights, or I'm an idiot.

I did the standard adjustment, measure center of light, mark a vertical surface, everything level, back 25 feet, adjust just under the marks. That was about useless, and it seems the left light influences the right side more than the right light illuminates anything.

Since I drive old cars, I'm not experienced with how HID's work. But the cut-off at the upper end of the beam cuts off, not fade away, I mean light/blackness.

Then, if I look at the pattern of each light as a line from left to right, they both travel a line, then shift up a bit, then continue at the higher level. Seems like if there is an odd pattern, they should do the opposite.

Like I said, I kinda had to wing it, but now I'm afraid I went too high.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. This isn't my first headlight adjustment, but it is the most difficult one.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just got these and don't have any problems. It is like crack for driving at night.

Amazon.com: Depo M35-1102P-AS2 Chevrolet Cobalt Black Headlight Projector Assembly: Automotive Amazon.com: Depo M35-1102P-AS2 Chevrolet Cobalt Black Headlight Projector Assembly: Automotive
Old 03-19-2016, 11:56 AM

That's what I got too. They are not crack; they are dangerous, unless I choose to blind oncoming traffic.