General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Road to my Cobalt SS Turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Lake
Trust me.. I've gotten it from family members.. friends.. "What is this? Your Mid Life Crisis starting ?" BUT.. I've never cared much what others thought of me .. And... besides.. I refuse to let you young whippersnappers have all the fun!
....my dad never understood why I wanted the car (he's 58) until I took him for a ride both stock and after putting the stage kit in. He joked that it would make an excellent mid-life crisis car if he heavily tinted the windows except it's broken and has a third pedal and a stick on the floor (he has no idea how to drive a manual) .

Other than that his only complaint "it's too bad we ran out of road 'cause it was still hauling ass"
Old 04-12-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Permafried-
....my dad never understood why I wanted the car (he's 58) until I took him for a ride both stock and after putting the stage kit in. He joked that it would make an excellent mid-life crisis car if he heavily tinted the windows except it's broken and has a third pedal and a stick on the floor (he has no idea how to drive a manual) .

Other than that his only complaint "it's too bad we ran out of road 'cause it was still hauling ass"
Nice! - It would be hard to hit the claimed top of 160 (Or more from the stage kit) on any road - but - valid complaint from your old man!
Old 04-12-2010, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lapila82
(To OP): I honestly don't think I could possibly agree any more with anything that you've posted. Being the driver of a Pontiac G5 myself I have to say that it is an amazing car for the value. Now, granted, I'm only seventeen and it's my first car, but I honestly prefer it to my dad's 2005 G6 GTP. Maybe that's just me though, I've never been a fan of V6 engines.

Anyway, my 40-something year old father loves Pontiac, and GM in general, but he always ragged on me for picking a 4 banger. He'd hassle me into oblivion, called it Pontiac's rendition of the "SLOWbalt", then he'd laugh it off and I'd just tell him to give it a ride for himself.

So he finally gets behind the wheel of this thing and he's driving down the highway. Tells me he thinks it's "nothing special" but I can see the giddy look on his face, so I tell him to stop holding back, he opens up on it and it takes off.

Well guess who is trading their 08 Cadillac STS in for an SS/TC...?

So welcome!
If your dad was in my part of the town, I'd give him a ride and see what he thinks of 360+ wheel torque reminds him of...then put that number together with a 4 banger with capacity off a two liter bottle of pop...

I can remeber when SVT Cobra Mustangs finally broke 300chp and I thought that was a big deal...incredible how far technology has come...

Today, I took a coworker to lunch and in the middle of a conversation, I wasn't paying attention while accelerating in second gear and guess what? I wheel smoked both fronts (245 tires) before I knew it and bounced off the rev limiter...that was embarrassing for me...not my Cobalt...

Agree with ya... Have tons to say on that issue - We can't really go into politics on the SS site of course..... BUT - that's prolly for the best..... People can be so passionate in this area - that tempers would eventually explode..
I hear you John...I guess the quote under my sig (taken directly from the mouth of a local supporter) says it all...

Last edited by msfitoy; 04-12-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-12-2010, 03:50 PM

Bad news - for me. Driving in this morning - a Jeep was passing going the other direction ... a rock or something shot up from the road... BANG on my dtrivers door - pulled over.. Small ding - but - deep - metal is showing... MOTHER F'er!!! These things happen BUT after a week! You hope you can do better than that... Already made an appointment for next Tuesday.

Much worse can happen.. A co-worker got her new car - just left the dealership. She was sitting at a red light when a 16 year learning to drive with his Dad plowed in to her... knowing that... I'll survive this
Like others said, I think these cars are jinxed :p Within 36 hours of owning my vehicle, I hit a curb at 40 mph at night (I thought I had already cleared the merging section and had looked down to hit the 'CD' button on the radio) ... bent the front passenger rim and the rear passenger hub. Did $870 of damage plus labor and a front end alignment. Basically, my whole tax return had covered the down payment and the repairs for this car This is my second new car. The first was the G5 in my sig and I just recently got a nice BB size ding on the rear driver panel (seriously looks like someone shot at my car while I was driving with a BB gun) after owning the vehicle since May 2008 (too lazy to count how many months I had the car ). And then I ended up trading the G5 in for this car.

After that, I've been extremely careful with the car and only open it up when I'm on an opened road and there's no one else... or curbs for that matter
Old 04-12-2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eurasianman
Like others said, I think these cars are jinxed :p Within 36 hours of owning my vehicle, I hit a curb at 40 mph at night (I thought I had already cleared the merging section and had looked down to hit the 'CD' button on the radio) ... bent the front passenger rim and the rear passenger hub. Did $870 of damage plus labor and a front end alignment. Basically, my whole tax return had covered the down payment and the repairs for this car This is my second new car. The first was the G5 in my sig and I just recently got a nice BB size ding on the rear driver panel (seriously looks like someone shot at my car while I was driving with a BB gun) after owning the vehicle since May 2008 (too lazy to count how many months I had the car ). And then I ended up trading the G5 in for this car.

After that, I've been extremely careful with the car and only open it up when I'm on an opened road and there's no one else... or curbs for that matter
Oh how could I forget...this past winter, a day after a snow storm, I was driving on a clear day following a car 30 feet ahead of me but we were not on the same tracking...all of the sudden, that car twitches a little and passes over what appeared to be a black cinder block!!! I could've avoided it if the road had been dry but a sudden maneuver at 50mph would've certainly sent me into a spin in front of heavy traffic...so I ate it...WHAMMMM!!! Everything inside my car went flying, mirror dropped and my steering wheel is now 90 degree off center... When I pulled over, the camber on my front left has a serious race car like 20 degrees negative...short of the story is that MTHFKN iceburg I hit bent the strut, bent my new dedicated winter rim and bubbled a new dedicated winter snow tire...$600 bucks worth of damage...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRR GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

Two months before that, my tinted side glass decided to just fracture into a million pieces while the car war sitting in the garage...one month before that, I punctured one of the nearly brand new factory Continentals near the side wall which was irriparable...within 6 month of owning my Cobalt, I think I sunk over 3K into bad luck...thank God that's over...I hope...

Old 04-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Thats a neat story, I always wanted a Cobalt SS S/C in victory red with the high wing when it was pre-debut-ing in fall 03/04. I was in high school. Graduated went to college and my junior summer of college was able to purchase a used ss/sc the way i wanted for cheap, it was an 05. I learned alot about cars and driving manual and modding. Last memorial day GM had 0% financing on Cobalt SS/TC and I was able to get a discount on top of that, thus I got (RETAIL) trade in value for my vehicle, paid off my note on the car and upgraded to an 09 SS T/C black/ebony loaded with a short spoiler. LOVE LOVE LOVE the car, and last week got GM Stage 1 installed, car pulls so much harder, highly recommend doing that in the next few months, takes the car to a whole other level with your factory warranty intact. Of course guys are trifecta/custom tuned putting out over 365hp and they are just sickly fast for this pricepoint/application, IMHO.

Welcome to CSS.net, you can learn alot and there is tons of information on these vehicles all over this forum, lots of how-to's, what works and what doesn't, trouble shooting, etc. Enjoy your SS
Old 04-12-2010, 04:36 PM

Wow, msfitoy your front wheel has more camber than NASCAR!
Old 04-12-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by BK05SS
Of course guys are trifecta/custom tuned putting out over 365hp and they are just sickly fast for this pricepoint/application, IMHO.
That's what I have and it is the Biggest bang for the buck (cost effective wise) I've ever experienced...and I've been tuning cars since the 80s...

Wow, msfitoy your front wheel has more camber than NASCAR!
Yea...I knew something was F'd up since there is no camber adjustment that I know of for the front setup...other than the "cinder block mod"...

Last edited by msfitoy; 04-12-2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-12-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by msfitoy
Yea...I knew something was F'd up since there is no camber adjustment that I know of for the front setup...other than the "cinder block mod"...
This is one mod I will be avoiding me thinks
Old 04-12-2010, 05:12 PM

you should of got the lnf rwd platform, jk nice write up.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by ripped
you should of got the lnf rwd platform, jk nice write up.
I almost did but the lnf rwd Solstice Coupe wasn't available then...even then, it's still heavier than SS/TC...what I was really hoping for was the Opel Speedster/Lotus platform with the lnf...just another wet dream...
Old 04-12-2010, 05:25 PM

I almost did but the lnf rwd Solstice Coupe wasn't available then...even then, it's still heavier than SS/TC...what I was really hoping for was the Opel Speedster/Lotus platform with the lnf...just another wet dream...
If I didn't live in Michigan, I sooooooo would have gotten a Saturn Sky RedLine, love the design of that vehicle. Too bad its not refined and rebranded as a Chevy Stingray or something?
Old 04-12-2010, 05:28 PM

If I didn't live in Michigan, I sooooooo would have gotten a Saturn Sky RedLine, love the design of that vehicle. Too bad its not refined and rebranded as a Chevy Stingray or something?
I live at GM and I'm soooooo sick that Saturn died along with the Sky Redline LNF Coupe...
Old 04-12-2010, 05:31 PM

I live at GM and I'm soooooo sick that Saturn died along with the Sky Redline LNF Coupe...
they where the only roadsters with decent power and price now its eaither
choose a miata or go straight to a z or z4 and above its a huge gap in price range.
gm is not doing so well with new cars coming out ford is starting to look real good
Old 04-14-2010, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by ripped
they where the only roadsters with decent power and price now its eaither
choose a miata or go straight to a z or z4 and above its a huge gap in price range.
gm is not doing so well with new cars coming out ford is starting to look real good
huh? Maybe not performance wise ONLY, but with Aveo RS, Cruze, Volt, Regal (GS included), Verano (compact buick with LNF and 6 speed), ATS (3 series sized Cadillac 2013 model year), (next gen CTS model year 2014), XTS 2012, next generation Corvette, CTS (redone in 08), Malibu (08 redesign coming in 2012), Lacrosse (this year) I would say based on cars alone GM has ALOT in the pipeline.

LNF compact from Buick with Verano nameplate, Regal GS with LNF, CTS coupe out this summer, ATS-V variants (per other car forums), Camaro and Corvette....GM caters to much of the market. Too bad Solstice/Sky didn't get refined, reinvested in, and rebranded as a buick or chevy or cadillac though. /Fail
Old 04-14-2010, 10:18 AM

Man.. Deja Vu.. I wasn't going to mention this because it's pathetic -but - since you are man enough! (I mentioned in the OP - hadn't driven a stick in 23 years - and then only for a few months) First day I got the car.. made it home. Then.. wanted to take it for another ride a few hours later. Only a short ways to continue practicing with the stick. My wife was with me... Turning off the highway (making right - 2 minutes from home) .. I was paying more attention to shifting instead of location,,, My wife yells CURB!!!!!!!!!! as I turn.... car hopped up.. I'm freaked still stepping on the gas.. the car lands and peels out loud... IDIOT!!

My heart sunk... I feared the worst. Pulled over to inspect - nothing! Apparently the car just went over the curb - no mark visible on tire or wheel - and - there was no sound of anything underneath hitting anything. Rides fine/ no difference - but - will get alignment checked during my first oil change. Luckily I had slowed and was making turn at only about 10 - 15 mph. I continued driving lousy for a few days... then everything came back to me... shifts are now smooth.

Thats a neat story, I always wanted a Cobalt SS S/C in victory red with the high wing when it was pre-debut-ing in fall 03/04. I was in high school. Graduated went to college and my junior summer of college was able to purchase a used ss/sc the way i wanted for cheap, it was an 05. I learned alot about cars and driving manual and modding. Last memorial day GM had 0% financing on Cobalt SS/TC and I was able to get a discount on top of that, thus I got (RETAIL) trade in value for my vehicle, paid off my note on the car and upgraded to an 09 SS T/C black/ebony loaded with a short spoiler. LOVE LOVE LOVE the car, and last week got GM Stage 1 installed, car pulls so much harder, highly recommend doing that in the next few months, takes the car to a whole other level with your factory warranty intact. Of course guys are trifecta/custom tuned putting out over 365hp and they are just sickly fast for this pricepoint/application, IMHO.

Welcome to CSS.net, you can learn alot and there is tons of information on these vehicles all over this forum, lots of how-to's, what works and what doesn't, trouble shooting, etc. Enjoy your SS
Thanks ! Funny how many of us are on our 2nd Cobalt. My 2.4 was a good car - but - the Turbo is a completely different animal entirely. Liked it in Red - Love it in Black. And.. seems like a lot of people add the Stage I,, I'm a little surprised because the car is such a great overall performer right out of the factory. But.. agree that is the way to go... Warranty intact - with official GM performance upgrade

Last edited by John Lake; 04-14-2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-14-2010, 10:30 AM

Man.. Deja Vu.. I wasn't going to mention this because it's pathetic -but - since you are man enough! (I mentioned in the OP - hadn't driven a stick in 23 years - and then only for a few months) First day I got the car.. made it home. Then.. wanted to take it for another ride a few hours later. Only a short ways to continue practicing with the stick. My wife was with me... Turning off the highway (making right - 2 minutes from home) .. I was paying more attention to shifting instead of location,,, My wife yells CURB!!!!!!!!!! as I turn.... car hopped up.. I'm freaked still stepping on the gas.. the car lands and peels out loud... IDIOT!!

My heart sunk... I feared the worst. Pulled over to inspect - nothing! Apparently the car just went over the curb - no mark visible on tire or wheel - and - there was no sound of anything underneath hitting anything. Rides fine/ no difference - but - will get alignment checked during my first oil change. Luckily I had slowed and was making turn at only about 10 - 15 mph. I continued driving lousy for a few days... then everything came back to me... shifts are now smooth.
Lucky for you it was only 10-15 MPH As well as you didn't damage the rim/hub/brakes I just wish I could have been more fortunate like you. There goes my Stage 1 upgrade cash Oh well, on the bright side, no body damage!

Anyone else think these cars are jinxed? *skeptical*
Old 04-14-2010, 10:39 AM

Thanks ! Funny how many of us are on our 2nd Cobalt. My 2.4 was a good car - but - the Turbo is a completely different animal entirely. Liked it in Red - Love it in Black. And.. seems like a lot of people add the Stage I,, I'm a little surprised because the car is such a great overall performer right out of the factory. But.. agree that is the way to go... Warranty intact - with official GM performance upgrade
If you haven't already you might want to check out this thread in the autocross section by Venom09, you should find this a good read and his videos are top notch . I had the opportunity to ride around an autocross setup with him twice in his SS/TC and let me tell you he did things with this car I didn't even know it was capable of, he's one hell of a driver and the SS/TC is more than up to the challenge.

Last I spoke with him he had installed the GMS1 since he runs on circuits as part of Solosprint (Mosport might be known to you ) and the extra power/tq will definitely help him out there but I agree stock the car is excellent, with the GMS1 it feels like a new car to me .

Anyways, here's the link if you're interested, just make sure you have some time to invest in reading:

Venom09's Autocross and Open Lapping/Solosprint
Old 04-14-2010, 10:53 AM

Lucky for you it was only 10-15 MPH As well as you didn't damage the rim/hub/brakes I just wish I could have been more fortunate like you. There goes my Stage 1 upgrade cash Oh well, on the bright side, no body damage!

Anyone else think these cars are jinxed? *skeptical*
I hear ya.. trust me - People around when I pulled over almost saw a grown man cry. All it takes is that one second of distraction to have a really bad day. Cool no body damage though... or anything more serious.

If you haven't already you might want to check out this thread in the autocross section by Venom09, you should find this a good read and his videos are top notch . I had the opportunity to ride around an autocross setup with him twice in his SS/TC and let me tell you he did things with this car I didn't even know it was capable of, he's one hell of a driver and the SS/TC is more than up to the challenge.

Last I spoke with him he had installed the GMS1 since he runs on circuits as part of Solosprint (Mosport might be known to you ) and the extra power/tq will definitely help him out there but I agree stock the car is excellent, with the GMS1 it feels like a new car to me .

Anyways, here's the link if you're interested, just make sure you have some time to invest in reading:

Venom09's Autocross and Open Lapping/Solosprint
Thanks!.. I'll check it out

Last edited by John Lake; 04-14-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-16-2010, 07:55 AM

Just an F.Y.I... If anyone out there is looking for a 2006 2.4 SS - and you live around NJ - the one I mentioned in the OP is listed at the dealer.

Giant Mark up from trade in value - Trade in - $ 7,500.00. Dealer Price: $12,977. I expected that.

Price is too high BUT I'm sure they will deal. Car is like brand new - perfect inside and out - with all regular maintenance done. No dings in the metal for 3.5 years - Got a ding with my Turbo within the first 3 days!! I know.. I sound like a car salesman... BUT.. just wanted to pass the word that it is truly a great car in great shape if anyone is looking.

Price:
$12,977
Exterior: Victory Red
Interior: Ebony
Drive Wheels: FWD
Engine: 2.4L 4 cyl FI
Transmission: Automatic
Stock Number: 1382A
VIN: 1G1AM18B667860885
Mileage: 47,820

http://www.rossigm.com/VehicleDetails/673224753
Old 04-16-2010, 07:59 AM

I'm sorry but I couldn't help but laugh...sounds like something stupid that might happen to me...but the mental image of your wife's face as you ride over the curb is priceless...
Old 04-16-2010, 08:23 AM

I'm sorry but I couldn't help but laugh...sounds like something stupid that might happen to me...but the mental image of your wife's face as you ride over the curb is priceless...
$hit ! - everyone at the 4 way intersection probably laughed - and all of the stores

If I had seen it - I would have said "what a Moron - and with a new car!!! what a Dumb A$$! " Hopefully it's not on video somewhere..

And.. never looked over at my wife - BUT - from the disgusted yell I heard - I know what she was thinking (IDIOT!!!).. she would have continued yelling.. but.. She could tell I was really upset so she became cool about it. .. and - most important - no damage
Old 04-26-2010, 11:07 AM

Just an F.Y.I... If anyone out there is looking for a 2006 2.4 SS - and you live around NJ - the one I mentioned in the OP is listed at the dealer.

Giant Mark up from trade in value - Trade in - $ 7,500.00. Dealer Price: $12,977. I expected that.

Price is too high BUT I'm sure they will deal. Car is like brand new - perfect inside and out - with all regular maintenance done. No dings in the metal for 3.5 years - Got a ding with my Turbo within the first 3 days!! I know.. I sound like a car salesman... BUT.. just wanted to pass the word that it is truly a great car in great shape if anyone is looking.

Price:
$12,977
Exterior: Victory Red
Interior: Ebony
Drive Wheels: FWD
Engine: 2.4L 4 cyl FI
Transmission: Automatic
Stock Number: 1382A
VIN: 1G1AM18B667860885
Mileage: 47,820

http://www.rossigm.com/VehicleDetails/673224753

Sorry to bring back a dead thread.... just wanted to follow up on Post # 70 to bring closure.

Dealer that I purchased my SS Turbo at called this past Friday night .. he was looking for the second set of keys for the 2006 2.4 I traded in. I mailed and he already acknowledged receipt .. so.. second set misplaced at dealership....

Anyways... he said he was selling the SS 2.4 either that day.. or the following day (not sure how much they got for it). Not too shabby.... car was on the dealer lot for only about two weeks. I never follow up on my old cars... gone and forgotten.. but - because of the care given - it is kinda good to know she found a new home so quick - and - I am somewhat surprised...

Only because I kept checking on my Turbo SS (online) for months to make sure it was still there... before I was ready to buy. When I started keeping track of the SS's Turbo's available within 50 miles of my zip.. months ago - there were 24 (all colors) .. there are still 17 left... !!! I don't get it... cars are a true performance bargain at their original sticker prices - rare - great gas milage (I'm actually getting the same overall 24 - 25 mpg I averaged with my 2.4) - and an even better bargain with current GM discounts... Really wish I could buy another in Black to store for future use...

Oh well... I've got mine and drive to work with a smile on my face every day : )
Old 05-07-2010, 08:23 PM

Holy $hit! On the way home from work tonight .. I'm stopped at a light.. beautiful day.. sun shining.. - I need to make a right hand turn on to Route 10 (if anyone from the area) I'm about the 10th car back.. traffic always backs up there because there is an entrance and exit to a community college (CCM).

Light goes green.. car right in front moves a little BUT can't go anywhere yet - then BAM! - I look in my rearview mirror and see a massive black truck... (best guess is that he watched that car and not me).. I get out right away.. look at the truck.. (some kind of big work truck... not just a regular big pickup.. 3guys inside).. I raise my hands in a way that says "WTF"... and look for damage.

Couldn't see any (which calmed me)... waited for what seemed like a long time for the other driver to exit. Young guy... He apologized several times.. and even though I could see no damage he asked if I wanted his info just in case. In traffic.. Truck was huge BUT just started moving... had to be less than 5 mph - so - I said All Good and drove off. If the hit was harder/ damage noticeable - different story. It does make me angry... I've never been hit before AND if he was paying attention it would not have happened.

Drove to the car wash.. car was dirty .. even though I just had it washed a week ago.. damn black! Saw a mark .. only the bumper.. no indentation.. only slightly deep scratches. The mark looks like it was done by one of those round trailer hitches. Not too noticeable ... however I know I'll see it every time I go to the car.

I know... small thing.. much much worse can happen.. It's just that I mentioned earlier in thread that I received a deep ding in the drivers door on around day 3 of ownership... had touch up paint applied at dealer.. but still very noticeable. And now this.. only had car a month. Had my 2.4 almost 4 years and nothing happened to it. After the first ding happened I even rented a garage at my complex to help keep it safer.. not good to get too attached to a material thing.. but.. love the car and it wasn't cheap (by my standards)... so just want to keep in good shape.

Just needed to rant... and this thread is the perfect spot.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:53 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Damn John, sorry to hear about your front-end!
Great thread BTW, thoroughly enjoyed reading all of it just now, I'm hardly following the baseball game which is saying a lot!
I'm gonna join the other "oldtimers" on here and admit that at 48 I'm in love with this car. My commute is a measly 6 miles one-way and I hate it. On a regular basis, I have made detours on my way home, no ****! I know its sounds really shallow to say a car makes your life better but this one truly does. I love every mile i drive it. And then there's the mod bug... That may be the best thing of all. I've got a whole list of things I want to do to it and a garage full of boxes of stuff I ordered for it. Now if I only had the time to install it!
Like many of you I've owned quite a few cars over the years but this is by far the most fun one of them all. Makes me sad to know that soon they won't make it any more. Means I'll have to make this one last.... With that in mind, maybe a 6 mile commute isn't such a bad thing!
PS: As for points on your license: get the 9500Xi fro Passport. I've never had a radar detector before but after a week I swear by it

Quick Reply: Road to my Cobalt SS Turbo...