General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Saab 9-3 Turbo Setup - Answers Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saab 9-3 Turbo Setup - Answers Needed

Hey guys,

First off, even though I have a 2.4, I think there's alot of people who are looking into this with 2.2's as well, thus the general Cobalt thread. I did a search also - to no avail.

So, I've been thinking lately that I do want to go boost. I was on the fence for awhile, but now that I bought my lease out, I still have plenty of time with it. Why not make it really quick? lol

On that note, I love how the stock Saab 9-3's feel when they boost with that 2.0T (that looks just like an LSJ..lol). That's basically what I want. A turbo car with mild pressure so it's still fully drivable, but enough boost to add some good, usable power. No major 30 pounds boost monster with 600hp. Nah. If I get over 250 I'll be satisfied. More? Bonus.

I've noticed that Saab turbo manifolds are reasonably cheap. Their stock turbos are likely as well. So, I've got a few questions here..

1) I'm assuming so, but with my stock auto tranny be able to hold this? Most Saabs are auto..

2) Will I have to do custom wiring or anything?

3) Will I just tune the finished product with HPT like any other Cobalt build?

4) Should I run the stock Saab turbo, or upgrade it to something else?

5) I was given a price estimate (if installing myself) of around 1,500 bucks. Sound about right? That's with mostly OEM parts when applicable.

6) Probably about 250-ish hp range? My catback will be usable with that set up, as will my header/dp that I'll be buying again. But I'll need to get another intake likely because mine is set up for the stock n/a set-up. Aside from those, that'll be the only MAJOR mods. The basics and a Saab turbo system.

7) for the intake manifold, would I use the 9-3 2.0T or something else? Again, mine is a 2.4L, but the manifold is probably the same size..

So, in addition to all of that, anyone have a turbo build sheet for this set up? Or is it exactly like any other turbo build for a Cobalt but you use the Saab manifold and turbo instead? i'd assume the Saab intake manifold would be he only MAJOR difference..

Thanks in advance guys!!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1) stock tranny is rated to 315ft-lbs. it should be fine for whatever you push as long as you tune it
2) depends on what you do electronically and how you tune for it.
3) yes. Have someone knowledgeable tune it...especially someone knowledgeable in tuning auto trannies (not many on this forum)
4) upgrade to something a LITTLE bigger. you're not looking for a lot of power, but the stock turbo is pretty small. its up to you though
5) probably...havent really looked into it much
6) they make 210hp stock i believe. you'd probably make like 230 or so due to displacement and CR, but if you max the turbo, you'll get more than 250hp. Dont buy a header/DP though. the turbo manifold will replace your header and then the DP wont fit.
7) im sure the stock LK9 manifold would work...but you might want to consider going aftermarket like a hahn intake manifold. Thats up to you though.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:07 PM

So I should get a better intake manifold, and then the exhaust manifold will be good with the Saab setup? Will the stock header/dp combo be good for the turbo package then? Do I have the get a new intake manifold or am I good with my 2.4 one? I'd really like to do this with as little complication as necessary as to also keep costs down..

Will these manifolds work? These what I'm looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAAB-...#ht_1459wt_754

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...7#ht_500wt_924

Last edited by averagewhiteboy; 10-08-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-08-2009, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
So I should get a better intake manifold, and then the exhaust manifold will be good with the Saab setup? Will the stock header/dp combo be good for the turbo package then? Do I have the get a new intake manifold or am I good with my 2.4 one? I'd really like to do this with as little complication as necessary as to also keep costs down..

Will these manifolds work? These what I'm looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAAB-...#ht_1459wt_754

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...7#ht_500wt_924
While im unsure and im sure someone will chime in. I think you need manifolds newer that. See when they first started turboing saabs with the ecotecs and go from there.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

Just trade your car in on a used 9-3, it will save you a ton of cash in the end. The T7 and T8 ignitions are not the easiest to tune
Old 10-08-2009, 07:30 PM

Can't trade it in. I already owe on mine for another 4 years, and don't want to owe on something for the rest of my life. lol. I was just trying to add a little power to my car..
Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
3) yes. Have someone knowledgeable tune it...especially someone knowledgeable in tuning auto trannies (not many on this forum)
one on this forum is BennyHHR. send him a PM. he's tuned auto HHR's already.