General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Should all Cobalt forums join into a class action lawsuit against GM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
How much air did you get?
Old 03-22-2014, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you still owe more than the car is worth at this point, being that they aren't brand new, you screwed yourself from the get go. It's an Eco box that wasn't worth that much brand new. Why worry about it now?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no, nothing but a dead end and waste of time.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sandman
How much air did you get?
Wheres dama?
Old 03-22-2014, 11:06 PM

Received 291 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
cobalt exodus had a large crowd I heard. har har
link?
Old 03-23-2014, 04:33 AM

No problems with the ignition. I thought it was for the 05-07MY I have a 2010. The power steering motor has been recalled before I owned the car.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was going to say that OP has a 2010 which isn't even affected. The 05-07's are and 08-10 had a different issue, key gets stuck in the ignition in the on position, sucked when it happened to me. I still think it's such a stupid little thing and most of the accidents are probably the drivers fault and the car never went off.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
How about no.
As has been said, you have a 2010 like me, which are not affected.
This litigious society makes me so sick sometimes. We should stand behind what few American manufacturers we still have, rather then sue them into bankruptcy (or bail out) which in the long run is going to cost us all a lot more money than some alleged depreciation of an econobox due to mass hysteria.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Old Veteran Car Dude
I think that most of you that are reading this thread are missing the point I was trying to make. If you paid $20,000+ for your car, and because of all the litigation issues regarding the car, the value drops to perhaps 80-90% of book value, then we all have a problem. I did not pay cash for my 2010 Cobalt SS. I financed it. I got a really good deal on the car, but if it only worth 20-30% of what I still owe, then I should sell it and cut my losses.....that is "if" I can sell it.

GM could be liable for loss of value. What you paid verses what the vehicle "should" be worth in 4-5 years.

Old Veteran Car Dude
Do you actually have any clue about how lawsuits work? Or any legal experience at all? You sound really somewhat clueless and just basing this off of a few matthew mcconaughey movies and episodes of law and order
Old 03-23-2014, 11:34 PM

Received 291 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by redcobalt07
Do you actually have any clue about how lawsuits work? Or any legal experience at all? You sound really somewhat clueless and just basing this off of a few matthew mcconaughey movies and episodes of law and order
Are you a lawyer?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I think that most of you that are reading this thread are missing the point I was trying to make. If you paid $20,000+ for your car, and because of all the litigation issues regarding the car, the value drops to perhaps 80-90% of book value, then we all have a problem. I did not pay cash for my 2010 Cobalt SS. I financed it. I got a really good deal on the car, but if it only worth 20-30% of what I still owe, then I should sell it and cut my losses.....that is "if" I can sell it.

GM could be liable for loss of value. What you paid verses what the vehicle "should" be worth in 4-5 years.

Old Veteran Car Dude
resale value for these cars always sucked. if anyone on here was worried about resale value, then they would have bought a civic.

tell me how a class action suit goes against govt motors. im dying to know. no pun intended
Old 03-24-2014, 01:05 AM

This is a serious question and I would like to hear your thoughts on this. The electric steering motor and ignition switch issues have caused fatalities. It seems that GM has turned a blind eye to these issues.

Do you think it would benefit any of us members to join into a class-action lawsuit with other Cobalt forums? What about the HHR and the Pontiac G5 forums? If you are wondering what our "loss" would be.....is the value of our vehicles. These defects have caused our vehicles to lose monetary value. This is especially important when it comes time to sell or trade the vehicle in for another new car. Eventually it will get to the point to where people will walk up to you and say, "hey you have a Cobalt, killed anyone lately?" (read this as joke noir)

We could pull those forums into the fold as well. It would be one hell of a big group.

Excuse me if I use proper English grammar and spelling. I'm not into this stupid "gangsta" language bullsh*t.

Old Veteran Car Dude
The only people that should be making gains off these defects and recalls are the families of those who have actually suffered real losses from them. I'm not going to take advantage of others tradegies just because we can (which honestly in this case..your probably just pounding sand.) GM and my cobalt have treated me right, and just because you are articulate and appear educated about a topic doesn't mean your head's in the right place, or your heart.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:45 AM

I'm still convinced this is one of the stupidest recalls and they're making a huge deal about it.

People in my opinion that have had loved ones die in accidents in cobalts are ignoring that the person that passes was more than likely at fault and saying otherwise is highly unlikely. The mother that had her daughter die from spinning out in rain around a turn, yep definitely a problem with the vehicle and couldn't have been her fault, you just learned about the issue and you knew it couldn't have been your daughters fault. Yes I know I sound like a heartless Bastard but people are greedy and want money any way they can.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by BlackielawlessSS
Are you a lawyer?
That would explain a lot.

Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993
people are greedy and want money any way they can.
Ain't that the truth...
Old 03-24-2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993
I'm still convinced this is one of the stupidest recalls and they're making a huge deal about it.

People in my opinion that have had loved ones die in accidents in cobalts are ignoring that the person that passes was more than likely at fault and saying otherwise is highly unlikely. The mother that had her daughter die from spinning out in rain around a turn, yep definitely a problem with the vehicle and couldn't have been her fault, you just learned about the issue and you knew it couldn't have been your daughters fault. Yes I know I sound like a heartless Bastard but people are greedy and want money any way they can.
You heartless bastard. How dare you use rationalization in someone's drunken death!
Old 03-24-2014, 09:28 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 03-25-2014, 10:37 PM

I really didn't think that my original post would cause a lot of bashing. No, I am not a lawyer, but I am 53 years old and I have sued, and been sued before most of you were born. I have dealt with lawyers, most of whom are lying sacks of rotting sh*t, and I have dealt with one or two honest lawyers (rare species)

The point is this in a nutshell: The Cobalt name is becoming synonymous with "crap" as the ignition and steering issues become more public. The more public it becomes, the more the resale value suffers.

Yes, it is a Chevy, and the cheapest Chevy at that (at the time). Of course, being an "econo-box" means that the resale sucked the day I bought it (as it did for all of you as well).

With all of the negative publicity, there is the real possibility that the resale value will decease even more that it should have, given that the defects had never happened.

It is not my fault, or your fault that the resale could possibly become non-existent. That is the fault of the manufacturer for building a vehicle with known problems (at least since 2007 or earlier by GM's own acknowledgement).

Of course, I probably will not keep this Cobalt forever.......I will sell it one day. If I maintain it and don't abuse it, I should get a decent price. But if a potential buyer perceives the Cobalt as a death-trap, then of course selling it later may be a problem.

My thoughts were that "loss of value" would be a valid argument against GM. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone on this forum, so I really don't understand the sarcasm that came from some of you. I was hoping that the self-righteous know-it-alls were on the Honda forums

Old Veteran Car Dude
Old 03-25-2014, 10:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Doesn't bother me, let that resale burn! I got my T/C for nice and cheap because the resale blows, I feel bad if you bought it new haha!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:49 PM

I forgot to mention. Since I bought the car new in 2011 (as a 2010) I have had the following warranty work done to the car:

1) Steering motor
2) Steering motor, again
3) Left headlight (water in headlight)
4) Both wiper arms (paint bubbling)
5) Complete new sunroof track and motor
6) Ignition switch (could not turn the car off)
7) One alignment (was off from the factory)

The only modifications I have done this Cobalt are dual horns, and the center armrest. The rest of the car is stock, with 28,000 original miles.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:52 PM

I got the car brand new on the lot for $18,500. That was $5,000 off sticker and $2,000 rebate....or something like that. I have to find my original purchase agreement.

Old Veteran Car Dude
Old 03-25-2014, 10:53 PM

My car is a deathtrap for different reasons
Old 03-25-2014, 11:14 PM

I got the car brand new on the lot for $18,500. That was $5,000 off sticker and $2,000 rebate....or something like that. I have to find my original purchase agreement.

Old Veteran Car Dude
Consider yourself lucky. I bought my 2010 in Feb 2010 and paid full tote. Well, a lot more than 18K.
I don't worry about resale value, since i plan to keep this car forever. It is basically already a dedicated track car.

But even if (for argument's sake) both our car's resale value plummets because of this recall, that wouldn't be Chevy's fault, since the 2010's don't have this issue. It'll be the fault of mass hysteria and ignorance of the general public. Should GM pay for that too? I don't think so.

Regardless, I think you're overestimating the memory of the used car buying audience. Look at all the problems and recalls (and deaths!) Toyota has suffered. They are still considered the most reliable car and the resale value of the Prius is hardly in the toilet. Go figure.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought mu 2006 in 2007 as a Used car. it was a year old, with 24,582 miles. I have to original Window Sticker, Car was 21,800 or 22,800, i cant remember. 2.4 with every option except OnStar. i bought it one year later for $14,500 (before trade-in) from the Chevy dealer as a Certified Used car. they've never held there value.

has the recent stuff marred the cobalt name? maybe. But i've been shopping around for a newer vehicle and not one guy has used the ignition issue or steering issue to not give me what i want for a trade in $.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:59 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
No.

Also, my 07' has never had an issue with either recall.

The power steering one was a joke. You could still steer the car if something happened to the electric assist. Problem is, people these days are to dumb to know how to handle a car when an issue occurs.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:35 AM

I'm all for this! But first... let me take a selfie

Quick Reply: Should all Cobalt forums join into a class action lawsuit against GM?