General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Some help please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some help please!

Hey guys!

I am really considering buying a 2006 cobalt ss/sc next week, however I had a few questions since ive never owned a cobalt. I know there are some pretty smart people on this forum so I would really appreciate the help. This car looks like a really good deal and I love the color!

Q #1.) Is there any way to completely eliminate the "popping" noise from the exhuast, during decceleration? Ive seen some people refer to it as "afterfire." I know most people actually like that sound, but I hate it! It sounds to "farty" for my taste.

Q #2.) What is the fastest I can make a cobalt before I have to start using 93 octane or nitrous? I really dont want to move away from 91 octane, and I really despise nitrous.

Q #3.) The cobalt I want to buy does not have LSD. If I get this cobalt I really want to get LSD for it. From what I read the G85 LSD is not a full 50/50 LSD so I dont want to get that one. Does anyone know of an aftermarket 50/50 LSD that could be installed on a cobalt? How much and what brand???

Q #4.) How would a cobalt ss/sc compare to lets say a mitsubishi eclipse GS-T(the car i just totaled), in terms of performace??? In other words, do you guys think I am moving in the right direction by getting a cobalt, or the wrong direction?

Well, thats all I can think of right now guys. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks a lot!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:29 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol nitrous bra!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just curious, does the 5-10 cent difference really that make much difference to you between 91 and 93? I mean that's a whole extra dollar for every 10 gallons you pump... Maybe you should get a Prius and then you can just pump 87

If you're looking for performance and economy, it's a decent car. Personally I would suggest just looking for a used SS/TC.

There's an aftermarket LSD for you: Quaife LSD Chevrolet Cobalt HHR Saturn Redline 2005-10 2.0L

As in for popping, you choose, performance vs popping... the only way to eliminate popping is with restrictive exhaust components.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:57 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
is the eclipse GS-T the one with AWD? or is that only the Talon or whatever its called? Well if you like being able to peel out at 40MPH and wheel hop like a boss at every intersection then you're deff. in the right direction

on the bright side, cobalts are extremely easy to work on and parts are relatively cheap, the SS T/C's are laughably easy/cheap to make good power on as well, I wouldn't bother with an SS S/C, you'll always be wanting a T/C

oh and dont be cheap, just use the good gas

and how did you total the eclipse? did you give'r a little too much NOS? did you and the mad scientist have to rip apart the block... and replace the piston rings you fried.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the gsx is the awd, gs-t is the fwd, the tc is easy to mod for good power but im assuming u picked the sc because thats what u can afford and they are great cars also, u can expect around 260ish hp with bolt on and tune with 93 pump, if u add made u can make more or go e85. 290ish can be done with with e-85 with stock supercharger and stock longblock just need right bolt ons for it basicly small ass pulley. If ur gonna run 91 octane then i wouldnt expect to reach these numbers.

Last edited by Vander Nars; 12-30-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I am really considering buying a 2006 cobalt ss/sc next week, however I had a few questions since ive never owned a cobalt. I know there are some pretty smart people on this forum so I would really appreciate the help. This car looks like a really good deal and I love the color!

Q #1.) Is there any way to completely eliminate the "popping" noise from the exhuast, during decceleration? Ive seen some people refer to it as "afterfire." I know most people actually like that sound, but I hate it! It sounds to "farty" for my taste.
eliminate dfco with hptuners- deceleration fuel cutoff

Q #2.) What is the fastest I can make a cobalt before I have to start using 93 octane or nitrous? I really dont want to move away from 91 octane, and I really despise nitrous. whats your elevation? if your not at sea level and you have a stock cobalt, 91 will probably do fine. you can make 250ish conservatively with the m62 and a 91 tune

Q #3.) The cobalt I want to buy does not have LSD. If I get this cobalt I really want to get LSD for it. From what I read the G85 LSD is not a full 50/50 LSD so I dont want to get that one. Does anyone know of an aftermarket 50/50 LSD that could be installed on a cobalt? How much and what brand???
quaife. but if your not auto x, you really dont need it

Q #4.) How would a cobalt ss/sc compare to lets say a mitsubishi eclipse GS-T(the car i just totaled), in terms of performace??? In other words, do you guys think I am moving in the right direction by getting a cobalt, or the wrong direction?

Last edited by southal cobalt; 12-30-2012 at 03:06 PM.