General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

SRT-4? SS? RSX-S? Help me out :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRT-4? SS? RSX-S? Help me out :)

ok so i'm planning on getting one of those choices by Jan - March of 06', now my problem is that the SRT-4 is maybe not going to be available at that time.... and so i'm looking at other options. The cobalt looks pretty cool.... but honestly just making barely over 200hp and still being supercharged.... wheres as the RSX has about 200hp but only 140ft/lbs. but at least not turboed yet or supercharged.... so theres potential... but how much.

SRT-4 may be best for me but its probably not going to be around NEW when i'm ready. So i posted a similar thread on srtforums and got a bit of helpfull advise and i want to see what the cobalt comunity has to say as well....

my basic question is what do u think of these 3 cars.... mind u performance is what i'm looking at... but that doesn't mean which one is the fastes... but which one of the 3 is the best performer.... thats also build quality of engine and tranny and how much it can handle... aftermarket options and all that

Thanks in advance and i don't want a flaming thread but rather a serious discussion about these 3 nice cars and advantages/dissadvantages.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:57 PM

I would go Cobalt SS, then RSX then neon..
Old 08-23-2005, 06:03 PM

errr.... do u have any reasons for that? can u give me some more insight on ur thoughts?
Old 08-23-2005, 06:05 PM

If you want everything you stated right now, which you don't, you would have consider a used SRT4 or even the Type S. They both have huge aftermarket support, which the SS doe not have at the moment. It will still be small when you are looking to get a car. Us SS owners are going to have to get used to waiting a couple of years for good aftermarket support. That is generally when good, tested and tried go fast goodies are being used. As far as stock performance the SS is quit nice. At the track I can make consistent 14.7 passes, on the street it seems to be faster because I get much less wheelspin in 1st versuses the track. I'm bias but get the SS. The build quility is better then the SRT4 and is faster, stock vs. stock, then the Type S.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:17 PM

thing that scares me is.... how fast would the cobalt be without the SC? like 150hp? lol not flaming but just the engine itself scares me a bit in the performance category. Anyways the build quality... is it really that good? thats cool, i think i definatly want a north american made car... i really don't like ricers and the whole mentallity that imports are better quality. Anyways the numbers sound good and btw how does the SC sound? is it nice and loud? i heard that the cobalt is too quiet and the SRT... well i did test drive it is FREAKIN LOUD LIKE A BEAST lol...

Either way thanks for the insights
Old 08-23-2005, 06:30 PM

The SS is quiet. The only thing you really notice is whine of the blower. Easily corrected with the right exhaust.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:34 PM

well the rsx-s 05 states it has 210Bhp but to the wheels im not sure, the SS s/c states it has 205Bhp but some have it to 215-220WHP. if your looking for the fastest stock it would be the srt-4, ss s/c, rsx-s.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:44 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thing that scares me is.... how fast would the cobalt be without the SC? like 150hp?
Not even, this is because the 2.0L engine was built specifically for forced induction(low compression ratio).

Take the turbo off of the srt4 and you have something similar to the N/A SS.

You should test drive all cars before you make any conclusions though.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Banned

Someone correct me if i am wrong but the cobalt ss has oil cooled pistons and the srt does not, and if I am correct on that then the cobalt ss is better built for boost since the pistons are oil cooled (run the car harder and longer without damage to the pistons). However the srt is faster but the build quality is not even comparable the srt is a neon with a turbo. (Point made)
Old 08-23-2005, 07:12 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by glockglade
Someone correct me if i am wrong but the cobalt ss has oil cooled pistons and the srt does not, and if I am correct on that then the cobalt ss is better built for boost since the pistons are oil cooled (run the car harder and longer without damage to the pistons). However the srt is faster but the build quality is not even comparable the srt is a neon with a turbo. (Point made)
I'm not an expert on the srt4 motor, but it is capable of running very high boost on stock internals so I assume it's built up just as much if not better than the 2.0L Ecotec.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:16 PM

This author is funny. "What would the SS be without a s/c? 150hp? Ok, what would the type S be without high compression pistons? 130hp? This guy is obviously a noob with little car experience. I would suggest you guy a base model cobalt.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:17 PM

The 2.0 does have oil jets the cool off the pistons by squroting oil on the bottom of the pistons. I have done a lot of resurch on the 2.0 LSJ and I found that the engin is designed to last with boost. I read somewere that they took the engin to max temp and then flushed it with Ice watter over and over for 1000 hours. I will they to fine the internet page againg but if you do a search for ECOTEC 2.0 you mite find the doc from GM that I am talking about. I drove the RSX S and it did not give me the seat of the pance feeling that the colbat does. I did not drive a SRT4 so I do not have any input on that car. My feeling was that i realy did not want to drive a neon. As for the cobalt the low end pwer the SC puts out increeses the fun to drive feeling. Another supporting fact is that the insurence will be cheaper then the RSX S.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:22 PM

Yes I agree to test drive all the cars, but if you could get any of these cars you need to look at these things.

1. Are you going to be upgrading, moding your car.
2. If so drag racing, or twisties.
3. How often are you driving it.
ETC.

If you want to upgrade you can go with almost any of the cars, even though SRT's and RSX's have more now the cobalt will have some soon. If you want to turbo an RSX you can, the other cars you cant cause they already have forced induction. All in all you could go with anything that you want.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:23 PM

rsx type S is nice, but compared to a srt4 and SS.. not even close if your looking for speed, by the time you "turbo" a rsx your gonna be spending a **** load of money which to me isnt worth it.... SS wins for interior and exterior looks to me and srt-4 wins for speed even though i love the front bumper and viper seats......

overall id take an SS at gms pricing or an srt4 at the new chrysler pricing... rsx type s is nice for looks overall, but speed.. no
Old 08-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

my suggestion to you would be to test drive the vehicles you are interested in and make your own decision. the CSS wasn't around when i got my car and i probably would have chose the CSS if it was available at the time. the aftermarket support for the CSS unfortunantley is nowhere to be found so far. as for the srt4 and rsx-s, it's everywhere. just make sure you make the right decision so you won't regret it later on.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:28 PM
The Stig

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpower...percharged.pdf
Old 08-23-2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by glockglade

I dont believe the oil is for cooling. I think it is Lubrication. The water from the radiator flows through the block cooling the engine. The oil is cooled in its own radiator but that is mainly to prevent break-down and prolong oil and engine life.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:42 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by LTSRAPCON
I dont believe the oil is for cooling. I think it is Lubrication. The water from the radiator flows through the block cooling the engine. The oil is cooled in its own radiator but that is mainly to prevent break-down and prolong oil and engine life.
Nope, they are used for cooling.

It's an interesting concept.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:42 PM

Open the URL in the previous thread and you will read that the oil jets are indeed used to cool the pistons and rings. I am still going with the LSJ being a strong and long lasting engin and also since it is a global design you will be able to interchange the parts just like the chevys small block of befor.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:46 PM

well u all have great points and comments. The thing is i did test drive the SRT-4 and the RSX-S and to be honest.... the RSX can't even compare to the SRT-4 in speed or at least accelaration. Too bad i didn't get to test drive a SS yet.... hey on another note.... whoever wrote the SRT-4 is a neon with a turbo.... yea.... no... thats actually it... just... no.

Anyways, the accelaration is wild on the SRT-4, is the SS at least comparable to it? 0 -60s anyone? oh and is the SC whine loud? i don't care too much about the exhaust but the whine of the SC should be nice and loud, oh and one more... how much boost do u guys push stock?

thanks u guys are real helpfull
Old 08-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by T-Rex
well u all have great points and comments. The thing is i did test drive the SRT-4 and the RSX-S and to be honest.... the RSX can't even compare to the SRT-4 in speed or at least accelaration. Too bad i didn't get to test drive a SS yet.... hey on another note.... whoever wrote the SRT-4 is a neon with a turbo.... yea.... no... thats actually it... just... no.

Anyways, the accelaration is wild on the SRT-4, is the SS at least comparable to it? 0 -60s anyone? oh and is the SC whine loud? i don't care too much about the exhaust but the whine of the SC should be nice and loud, oh and one more... how much boost do u guys push stock?

of course the acceleration on the rsx-s is not as fast as the srt-4 and CSS. if speed is your main concern then get the srt-4. plain and simple. now if you like moding your car and love working on them then you can always slap on a s/c or turbo on the rsx-s if speed is the issue. of course it will be more expensive though. if you are worried about your warranty if you slap on a turbo on the rsx-s you can get the comptech s/c installed at the dealer and will be covered under warranty. then you'd be in the 260hp+ range for sure.

you can always compare the 3 vehicles at the chevy, dodge, and acura site to see how they stack up as well.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:56 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by T-Rex

The 0-60 of the SS will range from 5.9 - 6.1 seconds in most reviews.

Reading the articles on the car will give you a better idea of how it performs.

What you'll read over and over is that the SRT4 is quicker, and the SS is a better handler stock for stock.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MarcS
The 0-60 of the SS will range from 5.9 - 6.1 seconds in most reviews.

Reading the articles on the car will give you a better idea of how it performs.

What you'll read over and over is that the SRT4 is quicker, and the SS is a better handler stock for stock.
it handles better than the acr srt-4?
Old 08-23-2005, 08:04 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by DC52NV
it handles better than the acr srt-4?
No, the non acr srt4.

I'm not sure how the SS compares to the acr.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MarcS
No, the non acr srt4.

I'm not sure how the SS compares to the acr.
is the acr a stock model you can buy?

Quick Reply: SRT-4? SS? RSX-S? Help me out :)