General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

SRT-4? SS? RSX-S? Help me out :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 08:14 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got this from automobilemag.com:

The newly minted ACR package will hunker the SRT4 down and have it turning on a dime for an extra $1195 over the base SRT4's $21,195. Considering the list of mods starts with superlight sixteen-inch BBS wheels and 225/45ZR-16 BFGoodrich KDW2 tires, the rest of the package is virtually free. Five-way adjustable Tokico dampers, rear tension strut, larger front antiroll bar, spare tire and wheel, and seats that will accommodate shoulder harnesses complete the package.
Looks like its a package you can purchase with the standard srt4.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MarcS
I got this from automobilemag.com:

Looks like its a package you can purchase with the standard srt4.
wow, that's a great package. cheap too. i'm starting to like dodge more and more.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:20 PM
The Stig

haha, they put together a nice car.

I do like the srt4 a lot, but I still like my Cobalt SS better
Old 08-23-2005, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoChevyCobalt
Open the URL in the previous thread and you will read that the oil jets are indeed used to cool the pistons and rings. I am still going with the LSJ being a strong and long lasting engin and also since it is a global design you will be able to interchange the parts just like the chevys small block of befor.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. Ive learned somthing today, now I can go home.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:53 PM

haha, they put together a nice car.

I do like the srt4 a lot, but I still like my Cobalt SS better

It's a 2 door, 4 door thing!
Old 08-23-2005, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
well u all have great points and comments. The thing is i did test drive the SRT-4 and the RSX-S and to be honest.... the RSX can't even compare to the SRT-4 in speed or at least accelaration. Too bad i didn't get to test drive a SS yet.... hey on another note.... whoever wrote the SRT-4 is a neon with a turbo.... yea.... no... thats actually it... just... no.

Anyways, the accelaration is wild on the SRT-4, is the SS at least comparable to it? 0 -60s anyone? oh and is the SC whine loud? i don't care too much about the exhaust but the whine of the SC should be nice and loud, oh and one more... how much boost do u guys push stock?

thanks u guys are real helpfull
I have seen 12 on my boost gage at the highest. its probably more realistic at 11.5. also the ecotec 2.0 for the cobalt was built in the intention of aftermarket upgrades. it has upgrade connecting rods and sodium filled exhaust valves. it has a giant intercooler. chevrolet isnt stupid. they expect mods. the question is turbo vs. supercharger. off the line obviously the supercharger turbo 60 plus is faster. with 500 bucks you can achieve 20 pounds of booster. that equals around 245 fwhp. that will rape any srt 4. it gets around 210 fwhp now. so it hauls. so it depends for much less money you can the cobalt and the new 2.8 pully and more boost for less than the stock srt 4. the transmission is saab built, the chassis is opel. its not just a chevy. it has a german quality under the hood. plus the cobalt looks better yea. you can keep in mind looks as well.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:00 PM

thanks guys.... great info.... now lets talk internals by that i mean engine department. First off i don't know too much about the econtec i belive its called.... any good? lol I know the entire SRT-4 powertrain is built really tough and meant for power. Now the fact that this "fast" engine is called econtec isn't too menacing lol. Either way nice to know u guys aren't pure SRT-4 hating... i think they're both really nice cars and definatly good for the american sport compact reputation.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:06 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by T-Rex
thanks guys.... great info.... now lets talk internals by that i mean engine department. First off i don't know too much about the econtec i belive its called.... any good? lol I know the entire SRT-4 powertrain is built really tough and meant for power. Now the fact that this "fast" engine is called econtec isn't too menacing lol. Either way nice to know u guys aren't pure SRT-4 hating... i think they're both really nice cars and definatly good for the american sport compact reputation.
It's called "Ecotec" and they are race proven engines.

I posted a link with information about it's internals.

This site is very SRT4 friendly, we appreciate all cars here.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:15 PM

SRT-4's are really nice cars, but the fact that i would like to have better turing, and nicer interior is more in my alley, I live in a small town in NJ and I have sooooooooooooooooooo many great back roads to turn and do the twisties on. If you want speed go with the SRT if you want a little less speed, and twisties go with the Cobalt SS/SC, and if you want a little less expensive, and upgradable, go with the rsx or the rsx type s.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:01 PM

thanks for all the info.... i'm mostly concerned with the quality of the drivetrain... i know the SRT-4s can handle alot of hp and hard driving.... thats my main concern. I want a car thats made for speed/racing or at least with that being the main focus... i don't want a car that has 200hp and "there u go that should be enough for u" attitude.

Anyways thanks for all ur insights
Old 08-24-2005, 09:22 PM

I would have to ask you what your budget is. Because since you might not be able to find a new SRT-4 around that time, and you might have to consider the other 2. The RSX is gonna be more expensive than the cobalt. O yea, and glockglade the cobalt is nothing but a cavalier with a supercharger . (point made) My advice to you T-Rex is to gather information, which you are doing a great job of, and test drive them all. I test drove a cobalt and I could not even hear the supercharger, I didn't like the colored interior, and my head was touching the ceiling. These are things that I could only find out by test driving it. However, I did like the dash interior and the guages. And I'm not going to go in to what I love about the SRT-4 cause this is a cobalt site.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:53 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by SRT-4Scott
cobalt is nothing but a cavalier with a supercharger

I hope you're joking and not just being ignorent.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

by reading your latest posts i'm assuming the rsx-s is outta the question?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:00 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by DC52NV
by reading your latest posts i'm assuming the rsx-s is outta the question?
Seems like hes pretty set on the srt4. Oh well
Old 08-24-2005, 11:07 PM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should test drive all cars before you make any conclusions though.

Agreed
Old 08-24-2005, 11:50 PM

not to be rude but you know if you surfed the net just a lil bit and checked chevys site along with gm's you find all the info your asking for.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Scizzik
not to be rude but you know if you surfed the net just a lil bit and checked chevys site along with gm's you find all the info your asking for.
i think hes also asking for honest opinions, can he find those on gm's website?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:21 AM
The Stig

Originally Posted by Z06Kat
i think hes also asking for honest opinions, can he find those on gm's website?
No, but he seems to be pretty misinformed about some of the basics that can be easily found searching the site.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

No, but he seems to be pretty misinformed about some of the basics that can be easily found searching the site.
werd, cuz if he woulda searched at honda/acura sites he would know that vtak pwnz all.

it's a joke for the people that don't know me.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:40 AM
The Stig

Originally Posted by DC52NV
vtak pwnz all.
I thought that was implied.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:00 AM

I hope you're joking and not just being ignorent.
Well I don't see it as a cavalier with a supercharger, but the other guy seems to think that the srt-4 is just a neon with a turbo. I'm just throwing that out there for him to actually think.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:07 AM

I like the cobalt as well, otherwise I would not waste my time reading about them or even being a member of this site. The cobalt and SRT-4 are meant to go raping little imports.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:32 AM
The Stig

Originally Posted by SRT-4Scott
Well I don't see it as a cavalier with a supercharger, but the other guy seems to think that the srt-4 is just a neon with a turbo. I'm just throwing that out there for him to actually think.
I had a feeling that was your intention, but when you say it like that it seems like you're attacking the entire community.

Anyone with a little bit of knowledge will know these cars (srt4/css) are not the stereotypical base model with an ebay turbo/sc kit.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:32 AM

OK, first off, forget the rsx. FORGET IT. You are not going to see the potential for huge hp numbers that you will with the forced induction cars. You want to put one of those in the 12's???? You're talking alot of money. As far as the cobalt ss vs. Dodge srt-4, thats a tough decision. I've been a die hard SRT fan since i heard about the srt coming out in 2002, so you might say im biased.......but im not.If you decide to go with the dodge, get the acr package for sure, unless you plan on modding the suspension yourself, the acr coilovers are definitly worth it. It IS NOT a neon with a turbo......im not sure who said that, but they need to do a bit more research. The 2.4 liter originally came out of a dodge stratus in mexico i believe, and was later put into the pt cruiser. this is not the smae motor used in the standard neon. the engine is beefed up, the transmission design was taken from a diesal minivan in germany, so that will hold up to about 500 hp stock, as well as the motor. it's a tough lil motor, and can withstand the abuse or mods you make to it. From what ive read, the ecotec is a pretty withstanding motor as well. i dont know anything about it, but ive heard nothing but good.

I've owned an srt4 for about two years and my friend recently bought a cobalt ss sc about three months ago. ive ridden in and driven both. The cobalt hands down has a better interior. it Just feels more adult, more expensive, less like an economy car.i do however like the srt4 seats better, but that is just my opinion, im sure recaros will hold you in snugly as well. As far as power, the
srt will win stock for stock. But not by as much as you might think. Both these cars are very quick and i think the potential of each one is about equal. These cars will probably remain the closest competition to eachother. Looks, imo still goes to the cobalt ss, inside and out. (except for that hideous ass wing, it doesnt even come close to fitting the shape of the car.)

All in all i'd say go test drive each one and see how you feel about them. If your on a budget, and interior doesnt mean much to you, the srt might be the decision for you. If you,ve got the extra grand or so, and need to have a car with a more refined interior, and are ok with it being slightly slower stock, then maybe youll want the cobalt.

P.S- sorry for the long ass post. Hope i helped.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:41 AM

that's why i said "also asking for honest opinons". i know he doesnt know some of the basics but Scizzik stated that "you find all the info your asking for" on the GM or chevy website. my point was simply that he wasn't only looking for technical facts. he also wanted some opinoins that of course cannot be found on the above websites. i think it's ok for him to try and get some answers from actual cobalt owners.

Quick Reply: SRT-4? SS? RSX-S? Help me out :)