General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

ss or ls.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are tons of ss's on sale right in this forum. Most of them just have visual mods and are going for a good price. Don't settle with an ls or anything else, because ultimately you will be disappointed
Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 PM

Buy mine .. 9 grand
Old 04-20-2012, 10:39 PM

there is alot of difference. although you can make an ls look like an ss if you put the money into it
Old 04-20-2012, 11:18 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
the average schmoe doesnt even know the difference from an Ls and an SS, most folks around here would believe an LT is an SS if you slapped the badges on it..
Old 04-20-2012, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by CroRupt
whats the difference cosmetically speaking. Like looking at both cars from the outside, just viewing the exterior, what is the difference? Can you make an Ls look like an ss?
I had a 05 sedan lt. Was gonna do a lot of **** to it but said screw it and savednupnmy money. Now I have an ss and love it. Don't waste your money on it man. It's worth the wait! Ago glad I put my money into my ss it's like a completely different car.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:41 AM

how come some ss's have a sunroof and some don't?
It's called an option.

whats the difference cosmetically speaking. Like looking at both cars from the outside, just viewing the exterior, what is the difference? Can you make an Ls look like an ss?
SS models are lower, larger rims, 5 lug, different front/rear bumper covers, badges, possible lip on said bumper covers (depends on if it's an SS/NA or an SS/SC or SS/TC), and on most models, a high rise rear wing. The only oddball to this is the 2007-2008 Cobalt Sport, which was an SS/NA without the SS badge.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by TommyTwinCams
It's called an option.

SS models are lower, larger rims, 5 lug, different front/rear bumper covers, badges, possible lip on said bumper covers (depends on if it's an SS/NA or an SS/SC or SS/TC), and on most models, a high rise rear wing. The only oddball to this is the 2007-2008 Cobalt Sport, which was an SS/NA without the SS badge.
yea you dont see very many of those around, i think ive seen ONE in the 4 years ive owned my two cobalts, and it was a 4 door

also OP dont waste your time with a base model, ive heard nothing but bad things about the base models, for some reason i think the car makers just acutally cared when they made the SS cars, think they were sleeping when the LS or LT cars went down the line lol, and im serious about that too, go with the SS you will love it, you can get great deals on the 05-07 cobalts, even with higher miles you can pick em up for 7-9k and thats a good price, when i can afford another car payment thinking of getting an older balt, great DD and looks good, and they are rare around here, only a few around here and u dont every really seem em, so when im driving around i get looks and thumbs up ALL THE TIME, could be cuz its yellow and sticks out but who knows.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
It's called an option.

Ya tell me about it, when I see a cobalt Sport I'm like :O :O the badge just looks so cool and rare, with the red inserts in the lettering and all its just cool.

But yeah it does seem like the SS's are made better, most of the problems I hear about cobalts are with the base models, funny isn't it
Old 04-21-2012, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by SilverSS_TNR
yea you dont see very many of those around, i think ive seen ONE in the 4 years ive owned my two cobalts, and it was a 4 door

also OP dont waste your time with a base model, ive heard nothing but bad things about the base models, for some reason i think the car makers just acutally cared when they made the SS cars, think they were sleeping when the LS or LT cars went down the line lol, and im serious about that too, go with the SS you will love it, you can get great deals on the 05-07 cobalts, even with higher miles you can pick em up for 7-9k and thats a good price, when i can afford another car payment thinking of getting an older balt, great DD and looks good, and they are rare around here, only a few around here and u dont every really seem em, so when im driving around i get looks and thumbs up ALL THE TIME, could be cuz its yellow and sticks out but who knows.
What have you heard bad about the base models? They're excellent cars and very reliable. Not to mention half of the population in my state owns a base model Cobalt.

I could have spent 5 grand more and got an SS... but I didn't, because it would be no fun in modding it. 9/10 SS's look the same on this site...

I have never seen any base model look like mine and when I supercharge it this winter for under 2 grand and smoke the majority of your SS's... just remember you decided to spend that extra 5-10 grand on the SS model. Not to mention taerae is already doing that in hers.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by iToastie
What have you heard bad about the base models? They're excellent cars and very reliable. Not to mention half of the population in my state owns a base model Cobalt.

I could have spent 5 grand more and got an SS... but I didn't, because it would be no fun in modding it. 9/10 SS's look the same on this site...

I have never seen any base model look like mine and when I supercharge it this winter for under 2 grand and smoke the majority of your SS's... just remember you decided to spend that extra 5-10 grand on the SS model. Not to mention taerae is already doing that in hers.

lol i see soooooooooooo many base model cobalts in the junk yards and many people come to me with problems on their base models and i say hey shoulda got the SS never had any issues with mine. thats good when i went to go buy mine the payment of an SS and a base model wasnt all that much of a difference, so you put 2 grand into your base model slow just to make it as fast as an SS, i put that 2 grand into my car and im running low 12s. again tell me how IM the ******* for buying an SS, not to mention a boosting a car that wasnt meant for boost has nothing but problems, but my car was built for it, well see after 100k miles and 150k miles whose got more problems.

and modding a base model cobalt just screams rice, our cars get hated enough as it is, then i see schmucks trying to make their base model look cool and it just hurts my head.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:37 AM

lol i see soooooooooooo many base model cobalts in the junk yards and many people come to me with problems on their base models and i say hey shoulda got the SS never had any issues with mine. thats good when i went to go buy mine the payment of an SS and a base model wasnt all that much of a difference, so you put 2 grand into your base model slow just to make it as fast as an SS, i put that 2 grand into my car and im running low 12s. again tell me how IM the ******* for buying an SS, not to mention a boosting a car that wasnt meant for boost has nothing but problems, but my car was built for it, well see after 100k miles and 150k miles whose got more problems.

and modding a base model cobalt just screams rice, our cars get hated enough as it is, then i see schmucks trying to make their base model look cool and it just hurts my head.
But modding a car to handle boost in the first place is part of the fun! And it's not like the 2.2L can't handle boost. I have the GM Ecotec build book which says the pistons are rated to 250 HP, and the crank to 500. So you have to replace the pistons. Woo. It's not like you need to remove the engine to change the pistons and connecting rods if need be. and camshafts are easy to change out, though timing is always a bitch no matter the car. You don't get any of those joys with an SS unless it's an SS/NA.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:33 PM

Do you even know what rice means?

You honestly make no sense.

There's a drastic difference in making your car look good and ricing it out.

By your definition, I could say any appearance modification to a Cobalt SS is rice, as long as no performance upgrades were done.

I would have a lot more respect for anyone who builds their car, rather than just buying it like that. I appreciate a modded Evo over a Veyron, any day.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a cheap car and most people treated it like one. They were common rentals and fleet cars and people beat the crap out of them. They made tons of them of course its common in junk yards.

They get the same rep as cavaliers. Those weren't pretty but they were reliable.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:00 PM

By your definition, I could say any appearance modification to a Cobalt SS is rice, as long as no performance upgrades were done.

I would have a lot more respect for anyone who builds their car, rather than just buying it like that. I appreciate a modded Evo over a Veyron, any day.
yes i know exactly what rice means, and i see many base model cobalts modded into a big family size order of rice, its embarrassing to own a cobalt and have people rice them out as much as they do, the base models anyway
Old 04-21-2012, 04:06 PM

some LT's had 5 lug....

But modding a car to handle boost in the first place is part of the fun! And it's not like the 2.2L can't handle boost. I have the GM Ecotec build book which says the pistons are rated to 250 HP, and the crank to 500. So you have to replace the pistons. Woo. It's not like you need to remove the engine to change the pistons and connecting rods if need be. and camshafts are easy to change out, though timing is always a bitch no matter the car. You don't get any of those joys with an SS unless it's an SS/NA.
this

exactly...

yes i know exactly what rice means, and i see many base model cobalts modded into a big family size order of rice, its embarrassing to own a cobalt and have people rice them out as much as they do, the base models anyway
oy i see just as many riced out SS models as base models...
Old 04-21-2012, 04:18 PM

To the OP... How much $$ are you comfortable to spend? Can you install a forced induction system on an NA car? How much work do you really wanna do on the car whatever it is that your going to buy? How much is it going to suck if this car goes down for a week?
Old 04-22-2012, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by taerae86
oy i see just as many riced out SS models as base models...
^ This
Old 04-22-2012, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by taerae86
some LT's had 5 lug....
Haha my LT is 5 lug:P

I Personally got my LT Because i wanted the sedan. SS' are all 2 doors (Except for the sport models, but there weren't any around the area when i bought mine) I personally dont like the rear of the coupe. its too cheap looking imo. Plus i have some really neat plans for my cobalt that honestly a SS wouldn't be logical to do. I also plan on keeping my car till i die
Old 04-22-2012, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR
To the OP... How much $$ are you comfortable to spend? Can you install a forced induction system on an NA car? How much work do you really wanna do on the car whatever it is that your going to buy? How much is it going to suck if this car goes down for a week?
i can swing 150-200 a month on a car payment easily. Im a college student. I know nothing about cars really... Id prolly pay someone to put it in.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:20 AM

i can swing 150-200 a month on a car payment easily. Im a college student. I know nothing about cars really... Id prolly pay someone to put it in.
Ahh well then IMO if you can get a good condition SS that doesn't appear to have been beaten on, get it. Otherwise grab a base model and leave it.

You can buy bumper covers from this guy: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/memb...inedepot-2494/

Last edited by Mr.N00bLaR; 04-22-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 07SSYellow
just because thats how there made lol

personally i don't recommend making your LS look like an SS. just got buy a real SS! theres a lot of money and work into making it "look like one" then your not going to have the power behind it like a real SS and you will make us real SS owners look bad lol

but for real it can be done just expensive.

Cliff Notes:

Don't make your non SS look like an SS.
no offense but some of us like to build it not buy it
Old 04-22-2012, 03:36 AM
Resident Post Whore/Troll

uhhh I'm pretty sure i built my SS too
Old 04-22-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by crazyjack77
Haha my LT is 5 lug
lol me too

Originally Posted by heathkidder
no offense but some of us like to build it not buy it
Agreeeed

Last edited by taerae86; 04-22-2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-22-2012, 02:27 PM

For me, if there wasn't an SS model I would never have bought a Cobalt. I'm more than happy with my SS.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by ColeMart
For me, if there wasn't an SS model I would never have bought a Cobalt. I'm more than happy with my SS.
coming from someone with a Cavalier Z24 and a Buick Skylark. Both of which make no more power than an L61.

Quick Reply: ss or ls.