General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

SS/SC or SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with everyone else who told you to test drive both. That is the only way to know for sure.

The four door neon may be more practical because of its four doors. Personally I prefer a 2-door for looks and because I rarely carry more than one person in my car with me. The SRT-4 also has more power from its turbo, while the Supercharged SS has less. Remember though, that this is mostly due to the difference in displacement. The Neon has 2.4L and the SS only 2.0L. The turbo has slight lag, while the SS with its supercharger has virtually no lag, making it easier to put down power on a circuit as you come out of corners. The SS also handles much better than the Neon SRT-4, but that shouldn't matter unless you are going to race or autocross on circuits.

Anyhow, they are both good cars, with their own unique advantages and disadvantages. I am sure you would be happy with either, but make sure you go test drive each before you make a decision if you are not sure.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by wasey13
Any time slips to prove this?
My thoughts exactly. More SS owners need to take their cars to the track before talking smack. lol I'm a poet!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:48 PM

Thanks for your comments guys. I an definetley gonna test drive both of them. I really like the SS/SC and im on here all the time researching it I just hope that the aftermarket kicks in soon, im just worried that this car become another GM flop (not that it will).
Old 02-01-2006, 10:05 PM

I actually traded my Red 2004 srt4 for a black 2006 cobalt ss/sc Heres how I decided. But these are my own opinions.

Exterior:

The wing on the cobalt looks a lot better and more agressive than the srt4 spoiler
The rims on the cobalt SS/SC are more low profile and look a lot better.
The back end looks a lot better on the cobalt than the srt4 even though I do like the srt4's muffler system.
The front end on the srt4 looks a little better but i dont like the bug eyes.
I have always been more of a 2 door person and never really needed 4 doors

Interior:

The sound system and the deck in the cobalts is a hell of a lot better than the srt4's and I had the subwoofer and 6 disc changer package in the srt4.

The dash, steering wheel, and doors in the cobalts are deffinatly more atractive and higher quality in the SS/SC and dodge probebly never worked on the SRT4's too much because they new the it was going out.

I like agressive but i felt the seats in the srt4 were way to agressive for what kind of car it was installed in and the SS seats deffinatly match the cobalt better.

I like the pillar boost guage better than the center mounted one and I had nothing but trouble with the one in the srt4 becuase it kept breaking and never showing the correct boost or no boost at all. I had it switched out 3 times by the dealer.

I didnt like the shifter in the srt4 being way to long it almost felt i was shifting a truck plus the knob wasnt to apealing. (I got the short throw for the srt4 and made things a lot better but im comparing stock on stock)

Performance:

The SRT4 deffinatly had a little more kick than the cobalt but not by much. Most of the time it wasnt even noticable.
The handling i found to be better in the cobalt. I just noticed I could take the same off ramps faster than I could have in the srt4.
The SRT4 was deffinatly not meant for long trips considering you cant get cruise controll for it.
The cobalt is more of an every day car plus you get the performance out of it.

The srt4 was a little faster but it didnt make up for the flaws it had either.
Im not saying I hate the srt4 I actually loved it I just perferred the SS/SC over the SRT4.

I hope this helps you out.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:12 PM

I have a question im only 19 and my parents are cosigning for me and the credit is excellent will I get a really good intrest rate?? I know its a dumb question but I wanna keep my payments low seeing as aI already work 2 jobs so i can afford to buy a car mysellf.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:57 PM

Have you considered the Saturn Ion Redline? It cost a little less than the Cobalt or Neon and has the half doors for easy entry to the rear seats without looking like a 4 door. Also read a magazine test and the Ion was second fastest on an autocross course, only five hundreths of a second behing the Neon srt-4/acr. Ion and Cobalt both got better mileage than the srt, Ion had the lowest interior noise, 70-0mph braking, neon 161',Ion 164',Cobalt 169'. Top speed Neon 150mph, Ion 145mph, and Cobalt 141mph. These are Car and Drivers figures not mine. 14.3 et for the neon and 14.6 et for both the cobalt and the ion in the 1/4mile. The Saturn base price/price as tested $19990/$22115, Cobalt $21990/$24580, Neon $22,390/$24085. The Cobalt was deemed the best long distance cruiser.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:28 AM

^^ i agree. the redline is very similar to the cobalt and a little less expensive, even though i own a cobalt i do like those little half doors they have, i believe they call it a quad coupe...but test drive both to see what you will like...and as far as insurance goes, the srt-4 will be more because it is turbocharged, insurance compainies charge more for a turbocharged application than a supercharged one for whatever reason and this also depends on who your carrier is. i got a quote from mine comparing the 2 and the srt-4 was going to be $23 more a month than the cobalt mainly for that reason. hope this helps...
Old 02-02-2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by DarkCovenent
I have a question im only 19 and my parents are cosigning for me and the credit is excellent will I get a really good intrest rate?? I know its a dumb question but I wanna keep my payments low seeing as aI already work 2 jobs so i can afford to buy a car mysellf.
not sure what kinda interest rate you would get in such a situtation ... just save save save and when your ready to get the car there goes a huge down payment
Old 02-02-2006, 03:11 PM

I love how wasey always ALWAYS tries to start something. No I don't have a timeslip I have two street runs with a stock srt4. The first one when I was stock I lost by an arm length. The second one I won hy half a car three times. The second race just took place yesterday from a 20 roll to 95 going from telegraph south on 75. I don't drive around with a video camera all day like some guys do so take it or leave doesn't matter to me. Think about it stock an srt 4 230 hp and I think 220 tq ? Ok so stock I will take the lower end of what people are dynoing. I have 210 hp 190 tq that is low end of the specturm. Now I have put on a smaller pulley giving me two more lbs of boost. I have a CAI. I have no wheep hop. I have the BPV mod. Sooo now take in mind that stock racing someone I know that is a good driver I barely lost to an srt4. Now what would that lead you to beleive ? I don't know why you people think an srt4 is the fastest car in the universe. Stock they are BARELY faster than our cars and it is a drivers race. Sooooooo..... You know common sense.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:30 PM

Test drive them man, take them in some twisties, and try to get some key things out of it that you want to know. I like them both alot, but the SS/SC Cobalt had twice as good interior, styling, and sterio system.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:35 PM
p7x

I can see how things are proven on a track, but our car is no track star so I think the srt4 is faster, but from a roll, that's a different story. I might be able to make it to a track once a year if im lucky around here so videos will have to do instead of slips for the most part.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1stbluSS
I love how wasey always ALWAYS tries to start something. No I don't have a timeslip I have two street runs with a stock srt4. The first one when I was stock I lost by an arm length. The second one I won hy half a car three times. The second race just took place yesterday from a 20 roll to 95 going from telegraph south on 75. I don't drive around with a video camera all day like some guys do so take it or leave doesn't matter to me. Think about it stock an srt 4 230 hp and I think 220 tq ? Ok so stock I will take the lower end of what people are dynoing. I have 210 hp 190 tq that is low end of the specturm. Now I have put on a smaller pulley giving me two more lbs of boost. I have a CAI. I have no wheep hop. I have the BPV mod. Sooo now take in mind that stock racing someone I know that is a good driver I barely lost to an srt4. Now what would that lead you to beleive ? I don't know why you people think an srt4 is the fastest car in the universe. Stock they are BARELY faster than our cars and it is a drivers race. Sooooooo..... You know common sense.
I don't see what the issue is. With your mods you should be able to hang with SRT-4s no problem, most likely even beat them. But as you said, Wasey always has to start ****
Old 02-02-2006, 03:37 PM

Agghhhh the roll the eyes funny face ..... funny everytime !!!! It is ok I just had to point out the absurdity of the question in hand.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:40 PM

I don't know I think our cars are great at the track. You have someone pulling a 13.8 with basically the same mods I have. It is all about the launch. I think if you launch perfectly you can see 13.7 - 13.8 just about everytime. **** if a magazine driver that only launched it 3 times to get their data gets a 14.5 then someone that has launched it a hundred times should be able to shave off a second. Oh and yes driver error can take that much time off.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:50 PM

well the way I see it we can make up the slight difference in speed for about 60 dollars (same can be said for the srt , and Modding in general ...more money in the faster you go) with that aside

to get the SRT to look as good as the Cobalt SS ...impossible
to get the SRT to have 2 doors ...allot more money (and a serriously compromised ride ...again you may prefer a 4 door which makes your choice easy)
to get the SRT to have an equal interior ... very costly
for the SRT to have an unto date chassis ...see where I am going with this

..test both but it was an easy decision for me ... and SS owners had the choice to buy an SRT (the same cant be said for all SRT owners)
Old 02-02-2006, 03:53 PM

^^^^^^nICE pOiNT
Old 02-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1stblueSS
Originally Posted by wesmanw02
I don't see what the issue is. With your mods you should be able to hang with SRT-4s no problem, most likely even beat them. But as you said, Wasey always has to start ****
How did I start anything? I just asked if you had ANY proof of being faster then a stock SRT-4, you don't so no big deal. Just chill.

Originally Posted by c1705
well the way I see it we can make up the slight difference in speed for about 60 dollars (same can be said for the srt , and Modding in general ...more money in the faster you go) with that aside

to get the SRT to look as good as the Cobalt SS ...impossible
to get the SRT to have 2 doors ...allot more money (and a serriously compromised ride ...again you may prefer a 4 door which makes your choice easy)
to get the SRT to have an equal interior ... very costly
for the SRT to have an unto date chassis ...see where I am going with this

..test both but it was an easy decision for me ... and SS owners had the choice to buy an SRT (the same cant be said for all SRT owners)
Do you really have to be this biased??

Why not get a used STI,EVO,GTO, or M3 in that case??? All of them are superior in every way to either a Cobalt or SRT-4.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why don't you little beaches jusr cry about it???? How did I start anything? I just asked if you had ANY proof of being faster then a stock SRT-4, you don't so no big deal. Just chill and stop whining.

Why not get a used STI,EVO,GTO, or M3 in that case??? All of them are superior in every way to either a Cobalt or SRT-4.

C'mon guy's let get along here please...or am I gonna have to close this thread..
Old 02-02-2006, 07:37 PM

If you are looking to go fast the srt-4 is the better choice. If you want a better interror go for the cobalt.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:46 PM

How did I start anything? I just asked if you had ANY proof of being faster then a stock SRT-4, you don't so no big deal. Just chill.

thats not really that bias

and the sti evo gto and M3 are superior ...(sans gto in the looks department [subjective its too plain]) however they are in another class and that price range is quite a stretch not to mention EVO and GTO are not available in Canada
Old 02-02-2006, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Alex47
If you are looking to go fast the srt-4 is the better choice. If you want a better interror go for the cobalt.
way to break it down into 2 points, I dare srt owners to come up with a reason other than speed why someone should pick it
Old 02-02-2006, 07:51 PM

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...cks/index.html

Read and then you decide
Old 02-02-2006, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by J_Rod

oh no !!

be careful ...SRT owners get all sensitor when that article is brought up and the sandy vagina club comes out full force
Old 02-02-2006, 08:00 PM

LOL Yeah I could imagine. The truth is in the pudding right........well it doesnt get any more clear than that article. Performance numbers are almost identicle stock and they flat out say the SS/SC is a better car. That is what helped me make my decision
Old 02-02-2006, 08:07 PM

except that the 0-100 time for the srt4 is lower than the 1/4 mile time where they trap 100

Quick Reply: SS/SC or SRT-4