General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Stolen SS Seats!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stolen SS Seats!?

I bought some SS seats from chevypowered (thanks bro) and when i was installing them i realized just how easy it was to take them out and put them in.

All that is holding the seats down are 2 15mm bolts that take about 30 seconds to take out.
Thats its, then you simply slide the seat out.

It made me kind of worried being that i live in the hood, the thought that someone can take the seats out of my car with a 4 dollar wrench in about 5 minutes. less then that if they have 2 people that know what they are doing.

any thoughts on this guys? any way to put locks on bolts or something.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW that suck 2 15mm bolts you can purchase different style bolts like inverted torx that would help. Well mines in the garage and protect by a 9mm. LOL
Old 02-12-2006, 10:31 PM

move somewhere where people don't make a living stealing car seats
Old 02-12-2006, 10:32 PM

um.....

I'd say if your car is outside and someone actually intends to steal the seats.. there probably won't be a whole lot you can do to prevent the seats from being stolen.

short of maybe welding the nuts onto the bolts... lol

other suggestions :

keep the car in a garage (if possible)

set up security cameras so that if/when something does get stolen insruance and cops will be on your side...

Any seat is that easy to take out really...

Most seats only have 2 or 4 bolts holding them in.. Doesn't take much to get them out at all..

There are bolts you can buy.. They come with a special bit to take them out.. Sorta like a locking wheel nut.. Where every head is unique.. You would just need to look around..

I don't think I would be too worried about people stealing my seats tho.. Kind of an odd thing for someone to steal from a car..

If someone really wanted to break into your car and steal something i think it would be hard to stop them no matter what it is, thats why we have insurance. But with those plastic covers it covers the bolts so that helps but i don't think seats are a highly stolen item but thats just my guess. You have a alarm system so that helps, you might be able to fin another type of bolt to use that has a less common head on it. Perhaps a allen hea bolt or even a star bolt.

Actually come to think of it my dad has his seats stolen out of his truck a while back Almost forgot about that, he had to put a couple lawn chairs in there until they could be replaced. They folded up in turns
Old 02-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 90BerettaGTZ
Any seat it that easy to take out really...

^^^^^^
Old 02-12-2006, 10:36 PM

that plastic covers come off really easy too.

I wonder if i can put insurance on the seats?

I cant even put rims on while i live here because the neighborhood is that bad, They dont even deliver pizza after 5 pm.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:39 PM

If someone was going to break into your car, wouldn't they just steal the whole thing?
Old 02-12-2006, 10:40 PM

they are really nice seats, and being that i got them at such a good price, courtesy of chevypowered, i know if i ever had to rebuy them it would be alot more then what i spent.

i wish i could put locks on them or something. my windows are tinted so no one should really know i have them but at the same time i installed IN my neighborhood which wasnt the smartest idea.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Doc

you know...buy insurance and keep your receipts.
I lost IQ points reading this thread
Old 02-12-2006, 10:43 PM

dident think it was that easy... but if sumone in the car there be taking more then just the seats * god for bid*
Old 02-12-2006, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by mi6_
If someone was going to break into your car, wouldn't they just steal the whole thing?
my car has stealth ignition kill, i could give someone my car keys and without the stealth and pin code you cant move it 1 inch. hence why it cost 1000$.

of course someone technically inclined could maybe find away around that, no alarm system is fool proof, but the thieves around here are probably between 14-18 with 8th grade educations and short attention spands , so i just need something to detour them.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:47 PM

there isnt anything in my car thats worth stealing, i had it that way purposely.

i mean unless they are gonna take my stock radio or cup holders or something...

i got like gum wrappers and sh*t in there too they can have i guess...

o and burnt cds, but i mean if you steal stolen music your just a loser! lol
Old 02-12-2006, 10:47 PM

"I wonder if i can put insurance on the seats?"

If your car is insured (with theft etc.. ) which in most cases.. Brand new vehicles have full insurance anywaz.. Then your seats are covered.. There is no need to insure your seats as a seperate item.. The whole car itself is insured..

Now.. The fact that your car didn't come with those seats stock.. Then you may want to call the insurance company and let them know you add 2 front (and back if you got them) leather seats in the car.. Cause if you don't and your seats get stolen. They will only cover you for you stock seats that come in the car from the factory...

Again.. I can't see many people just wanting to steal seats from a car.. Sure if your hood is a bad area.. But still.. Seats.. I don't know I guess anything is possible... But if your that worried about it.. Then just go buy a unique bolt that requires a special tool.. IE.. Torques, Inverted Torques (very uncommon bolt, used on Alternators and such)...

Remember.. Nothing will stop a theft from getting what they want.. It may slow them down.. But if they REALLY want what's in the car.. They will get it... The only think you can do is try to prevent it.. But nothing is bulletproof to be honest.. There is always ways around everything.. Now for your normal **** disturber kid that is just causing havoc.. Will probably not get them out if you use a special tool to put them in...

Just my 0.02 cents
Old 02-12-2006, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by 90BerettaGTZ
"I wonder if i can put insurance on the seats?"

If your car is insured (with theft etc.. ) which in most cases.. Brand new vehicles have full insurance anywaz.. Then your seats are covered.. There is no need to insure your seats as a seperate item.. The whole car itself is insured..

Now.. The fact that your car didn't come with those seats stock.. Then you may want to call the insurance company and let them know you add 2 front (and back if you got them) leather seats in the car.. Cause if you don't and your seats get stolen. They will only cover you for you stock seats that come in the car from the factory...

Again.. I can't see many people just wanting to steal seats from a car.. Sure if your hood is a bad area.. But still.. Seats.. I don't know I guess anything is possible... But if your that worried about it.. Then just go buy a unique bolt that requires a special tool.. IE.. Torques, Inverted Torques (very uncommon bolt, used on Alternators and such)...

Remember.. Nothing will stop a theft from getting what they want.. It may slow them down.. But if they REALLY want what's in the car.. They will get it... The only think you can do is try to prevent it.. But nothing is bulletproof to be honest.. There is always ways around everything.. Now for your normal **** disturber kid that is just causing havoc.. Will probably not get them out if you use a special tool to put them in...

Just my 0.02 cents

i appreciate the 2 cents, i think ill take your advice out getting inverted bolts or whatever,

And for the guy who said he lost IQ reading this thread just think.... theives steal radios all day and every day, Average radio cost maybe 100-200 dollars, Recaros in your car that are held down by 2 LOUSY bolts retail for $1500 from Gm.

call me paranoid, but i dont have money to waste. im just trying to be safe then sorry. ya know?
Old 02-12-2006, 11:06 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FLCobalt
call me paranoid
Ok, I'll do it...

You are completely, utterly, and unreversably, paranoid.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:08 PM
Doc

I'll be nice.... Call your insurance company and let them know you purchased new seats. Send them a receipt and a picture of them in your car. Make a copy for yourself too and keep them in a safe place.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Doc
I'll be nice.... Call your insurance company and let them know you purchased new seats. Send them a receipt and a picture of them in your car. Make a copy for yourself too and keep them in a safe place.
thanks haha

Im not mechanically inclined AT ALL, the only reason i did it myself was because my friend kept cancelling on me, and i got them out pretty quick .

so my mind went to the worst possible scenrio lol.

like what was stated before, most people dont steal seats, but if someone was smart enough to actually do time VS reward, i would steal a set of recaro or leather seats way before i would steal some 100 dollar radio.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:04 PM

id worry more about the wing on the back then your seats....... those get ripped off all the time
Old 02-13-2006, 01:06 PM

and if i was a seat theif, i would take them out of a bmw or mercedes, something with a much higher quality of leather, and a higher market resale value... just my 2 cents
Old 02-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Banned

Note to self:

If I ever need to worry about someone stealing my seats I need to ******* move.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:59 PM

Not trying to make fun of you FLcobalt, but this is the funniest thread ever, are you seriously worried about your seats getting stolen! Come on now! And are you planning to wrap the back seats in leather? With the SS front seats w/red inserts and cloth back seats that wouldn't look to good IMO....
Old 02-13-2006, 02:03 PM
360 L337 User

Originally Posted by Doc
you know...buy insurance and keep your receipts.
I lost IQ points reading this thread
W3rd, I was expecting some crazyness and a set pics where someone is riding on a milk crate or something. not a rant on how easy the seat install went
Old 02-13-2006, 02:57 PM

I can understand after spending so much on the seats not wanting them to be stolen. I would just recomend the same thing others have already said, get a different kind of bolt pattern. However, I would bring one of the bolts with you, or go somewhere where you can take a bolt outside quickly. That way you know you get the right size and thread. When I was getting wheel locks for my car, I had to go through 3 differnt threads before I found the right ones. Makes me glad I did buy and then try.

Quick Reply: Stolen SS Seats!?