General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Sunroof Clip/Trim

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i fixed my own yesterday. it can be done, you just need some patience and luck. if all that has ever happened to you is the trim piece falling down, it should be easier to fix. the design problem is that the trim peice clips aren't long enough, or that the headliner is too thick. i took the whole thing apart and figured out how it works. the metal frame attaches to the hole in the headliner by the four metal tabs (A) you can see on the hedliner. the button fits in a cradle made by four more tabs (B) that point toward the roof. these are bent to hold the button. there are also two metal tabs (C) that face inward, that hold the button up in the frame. when you push the button up into the frame, these two tabs i just mentioned (C) will push against the button and hold it in place, and the other tabs (B) will keep the button from moving around and going up into the roof. The first set of tabs I mentioned (A) attach the whole thing to the headliner. You won't be able to pull the button back down without using a screwdriver to push one of the tabs out of the way. before even attempting to put the trim back on, you need to make sure that the button is secure and all of these tabs are in place. once that is done, its time to worry about the trim. it also has two tabs (D). the reason no one can make the trim reattach is that when you push it, even though the tabs (D) are lined up with the holes in the metal frame, they can't click into place because the headliner is too thick. you are just pushing the metal piece as well as the headliner up. you need to be able to compress the headliner. you can probably imagine how easy it is to assemble the part at the factory, with the headliner down. you just squeeze the two pieces together like a sandwich and then install the headliner. the big problem people have is when they push the trim piece, it makes the button fall out of place. this is because the pressure causes the clips that hold the button up (C) to let go and the button falls down. with the button crooked, the trim will never go on. i boke my first trim piece trying to push it in, so that is definitely possible, but the second one worked fine. i lined everything up, then kept pushing up until it clicked, bearing in mind that i was trying to compress the headliner, and that there was nothing holding the metal frame in place on the other side of the headliner. this perspective helped me judge the necessary force to get it back in place. the button did come loose, but i used my finger to keep it centered. once the trim was back on, the button was still centered on the tabs (B), it had just come loose from tabs (C). i just pushed the button straight up, while using the rest of my hand to try to keep pressure off the trim piece, and the button clicked into place. i haven't had a problem since then. i hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:20 PM

I wonder if this had anything to do with the sunroof optioned orders being on hold? Let's hope so, cuz then the 2006's won't have this problem.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by TnSS
i fixed my own yesterday. it can be done, you just need some patience and luck. if all that has ever happened to you is the trim piece falling down, it should be easier to fix. the design problem is that the trim peice clips aren't long enough, or that the headliner is too thick. i took the whole thing apart and figured out how it works. the metal frame attaches to the hole in the headliner by the four metal tabs (A) you can see on the hedliner. the button fits in a cradle made by four more tabs (B) that point toward the roof. these are bent to hold the button. there are also two metal tabs (C) that face inward, that hold the button up in the frame. when you push the button up into the frame, these two tabs i just mentioned (C) will push against the button and hold it in place, and the other tabs (B) will keep the button from moving around and going up into the roof. The first set of tabs I mentioned (A) attach the whole thing to the headliner. You won't be able to pull the button back down without using a screwdriver to push one of the tabs out of the way. before even attempting to put the trim back on, you need to make sure that the button is secure and all of these tabs are in place. once that is done, its time to worry about the trim. it also has two tabs (D). the reason no one can make the trim reattach is that when you push it, even though the tabs (D) are lined up with the holes in the metal frame, they can't click into place because the headliner is too thick. you are just pushing the metal piece as well as the headliner up. you need to be able to compress the headliner. you can probably imagine how easy it is to assemble the part at the factory, with the headliner down. you just squeeze the two pieces together like a sandwich and then install the headliner. the big problem people have is when they push the trim piece, it makes the button fall out of place. this is because the pressure causes the clips that hold the button up (C) to let go and the button falls down. with the button crooked, the trim will never go on. i boke my first trim piece trying to push it in, so that is definitely possible, but the second one worked fine. i lined everything up, then kept pushing up until it clicked, bearing in mind that i was trying to compress the headliner, and that there was nothing holding the metal frame in place on the other side of the headliner. this perspective helped me judge the necessary force to get it back in place. the button did come loose, but i used my finger to keep it centered. once the trim was back on, the button was still centered on the tabs (B), it had just come loose from tabs (C). i just pushed the button straight up, while using the rest of my hand to try to keep pressure off the trim piece, and the button clicked into place. i haven't had a problem since then. i hope this helps.
Cool! I'll have to try this weekend. I still have my original trim piece. The dealer still has the new one that came in. Hopefully they still have it, just in case I need it.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ssstraub
I wonder if this had anything to do with the sunroof optioned orders being on hold? Let's hope so, cuz then the 2006's won't have this problem.
Well if it was, the hold was abslutely useless since the damn things fall apart anyway. A hold is supposed to be placed so they FIX something before it goes out. Between the buttons, clips, side moldings, sunshade sticking, rattling, etc.. these sunroofs are a peice of crap. What the hell did GM FIX during the sunroof hold? It doesn't seemed like they really did anything. If they did I shudder to know what the problem was before the hold!

The whole sunroof deal reaks of GM cheapness. It really pisses me off.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:18 AM

Well this happened to my car way back in MAy but never even decided to post it. Well it has happened twice to my car! The dealer reattched the trim piece and it fell off the second time I opened my sunroof. One technician looked at it and said "what a cheap piece of ....... (referring to the sun roof; He loved the car.) Well I was out cruising down Rt-250 in Sandusky the other day and I spotted a blue Cobalt SS at a gas station so I stopped and said hello. I looked at their sunroof, and lol theirs is broken too. The only difference between ours is my switch is still attched up in the headliner, theirs is dangling down. BTW they still have their temp. plate on lol. Well my dealer is going to replace the headliner on my car but after reading all your posts I'm having doubts it'll help. Expect to see a recall everyone !

Tom
Old 07-02-2005, 12:22 AM

My dealer ordered a replacement trim for the sunroof button and re-attached it to my car yesterday. The headliner didn't have to be lowered or anything like that. So far, so good. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:26 AM

Maybe you should ask what their trick was. Seems most are clueless. Can you find out?
Old 07-02-2005, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by 05RedSS
Expect to see a recall everyone !

Tom

Yep! I'm sure we'll see it! I know I still have issues with my glass too. I'm taking photos to the dealer to show them that mine doesn't open enuf. Plus, I looked at a another SS/SC at the dealer and it opened further than mine. What a huge flipping cheap ass mess! But, I love my car!
Old 07-02-2005, 12:37 AM
Premium Member

Since I'm already planning on taking my car back in (again) for other problems, I decided to cross my fingers and pull on the trim plate to see if mine is like all of yours (better to find out now, then have it break a day after and make an extra trip). Mine doesn't budge, nice and solid. My car was also built in February, so I don't know if they "streamlined" the production line in that department since.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:37 AM

I managed to get mine to click into place using a bent butterknife to pull down on the assembly while pushing up on the trim, but it didnt matter it would fall off again every week or so. Then came my man "Super" glue to the rescue. Better than new. Piece of crap
Old 07-02-2005, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ylojrsy
Maybe you should ask what their trick was. Seems most are clueless. Can you find out?
Well they actually replaced the trim piece with a new trim piece. And like I said, it only stayed on for one opening. I think they just got lucky they got it to stay to be honest with you. I don't wanna come out and say that this is the problem but from my observation, if you look at the left side, there is a ring like metal piece that looks like one of the tabs would be inserted directly into but there is no ring on the right side. I initially thought that it broke off but I really am clueless. I wish I would've seen it b4 it broke lol.

Tom
Old 07-02-2005, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ylojrsy
I saw the tech do it. All she did was push it up and it clicked into place. My original clip was missing one of the little attachment parts on the underside, most likely from some Lordstown worker who pushed it in too hard and broke it off during the initial install.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Firenze
I saw the tech do it. All she did was push it up and it clicked into place. My original clip was missing one of the little attachment parts on the underside, most likely from some Lordstown worker who pushed it in too hard and broke it off during the initial install.
I have the new piece also, and my original piece. Nothing is broken, it won't clip in. I will eventually try, or glue it! Thanks for the updates.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:28 PM

no offense, but have any of you read my post. it expalins all f the problems you are having, why it is happneing, and how to fix it. there isn't a ring piece on the right side, the trim piece attaches to the two flat surfaces on the left and right, it goes inside the "ring" area on the left hand side. i disconnected and dismantled the entire assembly and took it out of the car to work on it. please check out my earlier post. i agree with others that it will probably be a recall, and until then it can keep happening, but since i fixed mine i must have opened and closed the roof at least 50 times with no problems.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:05 AM

Yes, I read your post. I was just trying to see if there was something easier than tearing it apart. I do still guess that will be my option.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:03 PM

everybody's best option will be the inevitable recall. its a shame they didn't catch it at the factory.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Proud Playstation 3 Owner

Originally Posted by 05RedSS
I don't wanna come out and say that this is the problem but from my observation, if you look at the left side, there is a ring like metal piece that looks like one of the tabs would be inserted directly into but there is no ring on the right side. I initially thought that it broke off but I really am clueless. I wish I would've seen it b4 it broke lol.

Tom
I do think that is what the problem is, the service guy said that its suppose to click in up higher, but i dont see how. My dealer ordered another bracket and another trim piece. Of course that was a little over a week ago, I guess I should call them up to see if they ever got the piece in.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:23 PM

Well add another one to the list....my sunroof too is now plastic trimless..lol taking it to the dealer this week, my sunroof has alittle stain on it so hey maybe i get a hole new one outta the deal that would be cool,
Old 07-09-2005, 04:18 PM

1 week old and 300miles my sunroof button trim dropped right in my hand, of course right while i was bragging to someone how cool my car was.

if i can figure out how to post a few dig photo in a thread here. i got some good well lit photos of problem.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:44 PM

Would you sunroof owners recommend against ticking that option for those of us that haven't ordered yet?
Old 07-09-2005, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by ssstraub
Would you sunroof owners recommend against ticking that option for those of us that haven't ordered yet?
well, the button can be fixed, and once you get it in there right, or once they finally recall it, it will be fixed for good. its a headache, but if you wnat a sunroof its a lot better than having your roof cut up to get it installed later. my old car was a sentra spec-v, and the moonroof slid inside the roof instead of over the top, and i really liked the nissan's roof better, but i like being able to look out of the glass, and opening the roof, so i made my peace with it.

they may fix it for the 06s.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:35 PM

if you like sunroofs id say its worth a spot of glue or a day or two at the dealers to have for the life of the car.

i havent experienced any other problems with the moon roof other then when its full and my werewolf side breaks out. uggh, hair all over the interior for days
Old 07-10-2005, 04:52 PM

You won't believe this (but then again, you probably will) but the replacement clip that was installed to replace the original clip fell off today while I opened the roof. GM really better do something about this. Should I even bother taking it back to the dealer or just wait for an official recall notice? I'm afraid that if I bring it back now, they'll just replace it with another clip with the same problem.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Proud Playstation 3 Owner

they just fixed mine yesteday, going to wait and see if it falls off.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:22 PM

Unhappy Got my car July 1st ,

Lost my button today. While I was showing my work partner the "great" car I bought and was explaining to him how much better it is than his '03 SRT-4. All he could do was
laugh at me. I feel like running the car into Lake Michigan. All afternoon I was harrassed about it........Hey , look , something else fell off Bob's car ... And so on. My ego has taken a severe blow. Luckily , I have a dog that doesn't care .
I have had more bad luck with this car in 2.5 weeks than I had with my last 3 S-10
pick-ups(all new purchases)in all the years of owning them(about 8 total). I had not owned a new car(I have an old street rod) since a 25th ann. Mustang 5.0 back in '90 .
Ouch

Quick Reply: Sunroof Clip/Trim