General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Super Charged Owners Only

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKblurr06
I love my SS/SC, the superb handling makes as many smiles as the acceleration, you can literally set the cruise control on 25mph in a residental area and swing every turn without sliding or hitting the brakes(as long as its on smooth pavement). You will be in a different world after driving the buick.
ya swinging turns in a resedential good idea....uh no?
Old 12-31-2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
Hey, what's everybody's thoughts on the larger wing, and if you have the smaller, feel free to comment too.
I've got the regular SS/SC wing. It gets in my way when I'm trying to see out the back window, but other than that it doesn't bother me. haha. I really like how it looks though, so I'm going to modify and keep it.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my ss s/c balt, fastest car in my school, voted nicest ride in yearbook, only 17 and beating everyones cars and still saving gas!!!! lol but i love the car over my x car, honda accord v6, and yeah the intake on the car is bad ass, makes the car alot louder, and yeah the scream from the supercahrger is great ppl hear me half way down the road, so yeah
Old 12-31-2006, 05:15 PM

well I bought mine when theywere first coming out and did not know much about the car except that I liked the styling of it and I was turning in my 2003 Grand Am SCT and I wanted something with more hp. The car had more HP but I wish I would have known more about the car because I would have got the LSD package . Dislikes are the wing when you try to look out the rear view mirror and the clutch that they put in that is what they use for a motor that only puts out like 130hp.The wheel hopping in first gear.Likes are gas mileage, hp upgrades GM is coming out for them and that fact that they don't make a lot of theses cars.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:16 PM

handles well, looks good, and i love it.. cant wait till i actually start buying **** and modding it, but for what it is stock it is a fun car. im glad i made the choice i did and got the cobalt ss/sc
Old 12-31-2006, 05:19 PM

I have had my car a little over a year and I will never get rid of it until it dies. This car handles any turn i take it around and the supercharger noise is just plain sex when driving under a bridge/tunnel
Old 12-31-2006, 06:05 PM

I came from a heavily modded 01 VW GTI that could out handle most cars on the road. With that being said, the Cobalt is one hell of a fun car. it doesn't corner nearly as well as the GTI but that car was far from stock. I really think this is one of the best buys out there, great handling, good performance, all the right "noises", and when you can get 33 mpg on the highway...it just completes the package.

The rear wing gives me mixed emotions, I love the way it looks from the side but i thnk from the back it's kind of ugly and from inside the car it's annoying as hell, but it also gives the car an added edge. I am however trading for a low wing this coming weekend.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by PirateChris
Just out of curiosity how is your personal driving experience with the SS SuperCharged Cobalts? How much fun do you have with it, how do you like the handling... etc and anything else you might want to add.
I really enjoy driving these cars, just the other night I went through a couple turns that made the road more like a large chicane and the point and shoot in between the corners was fun. Mine has the LSD so braking before the corner and then I can start to accelerate through the rest of the corner allmost a split second from braking. It is also really cool being one of the very few Silver SS/SC's in Toronto.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:28 PM

The car has actually become my life. I eat, drink, and dream this car. I find myself looking for excuses to go to town just so i can drive it and show it off. I love everything about it including the massive wing.

My previous car was a moderately modded 3.8 Camaro that was all show and no go. The car before that was an 83 Z28 that sounded fast but performed under par. So finally having something with a functional back seat, great power band, original look, and amazing tuning potential at such a low price was a Godsend.

Not only does this car offer the best bang for the buck performance, but it has a look and sound that NOBODY else has around here.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:22 PM

Have had mine for two weeks now... and since then i cant take off the big ass smile on my face! awesome car!
Old 01-01-2007, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by JCswoosher2
well my car was cool. then i put a intake on my car. then it was Badass. loved hearing the whine. IMO no stock car is fun.
You've obviously never driven a Ferrari.

Anyway, I love the SC, it's fun to drive, handles great and it puts a nice smile on my face everytime I get into it. Plus it's really comfortable too. A word to the wise though, if you are going to mod look out because the mod bug bites really hard.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by PirateChris
Just out of curiosity how is your personal driving experience with the SS SuperCharged Cobalts? How much fun do you have with it, how do you like the handling... etc and anything else you might want to add.
My previous cars were all pre-2000 Cavaliers and a 2005 Cobalt base coupe. The SS/SC is apples to oranges. It's very quick and extremely powerful for a car this size and in this class. It's handling is outstanding and inspires confidence. It never felt like it was going to get away from you without warning. The wheels, tires and suspension are very forgiving to missing a line through a series of corners. The trade-off is the fact the car rides like a buckboard and you feel every bump, crack, small animal through the seats. Engine-wise, this was why i bought the car. The 2.0L pulls as if possessed by a demon. It just plain wants to run and run hard. I found myself hitting the rev limiter several times because the engine felt capable, and happy, about revving up to and past 7k! Bone stock, the exhaust has a nice tone to it, but you'll want more soon enough. And i think everyone has at least once or twice tried to bury the 160mph speedometer. I've had mine to 145mph and it felt butter smooth and stable at that speed, much more than the Capri RS 5.0L I had or even the IRS-equipped Merkur XR4Ti i have also owned.

The trouble in paradise I have found is launching this shopping cart from hell. The front end likes to bounce and the wheel hop spells doom and gloom for this fragile transmission/differential arrangement. I have read so many accounts of transmission failure on this board, I find myself launching my SS/SC granny style (like a 5-liter) to keep from breaking the tires free and risking damage. Especially after hearing some of the warranty horror stories... this is a big minus to the car.

My other small, insignificant complaint, and this is nothing really to do with the car, is that this car is WORTHLESS in the snow. I have never had a car, RWD Capri even, that was this horrible in the snow and ice. That's why there is a 1993 Chevrolet Lumina sedan parked next to the Cobalt SS/SC in the yard!

Interior wise, it's much nice than my previous Cavaliers or 05 Base Cobalt. Seats are great, i much prefer the dark interior to the bobby-soxer light hues of my base car. My one bitch was that I think i would've rather had the high spoiler than the smaller one on my car. I sometimes like the sleeper image, but with a car like this, what i refer to as a tactical nuclear warhead strapped to a shopping car, you do like to advertise. As I am old, and almost out of my 'bumping' stage, the stereo is really great, love the XM and have no real bitches.

For the money I paid for the car, i felt it worth it. i shopped around for a couple of weeks before buying this car in September. I wanted a Mustang GT because even though i don't like Ford at all, I felt the Mustang looked great and was willing to give the 4.6L another shot after being completely unimpressed by the 03-04 model, but after being shunned by several dealers and being told that Ford wasn't building many GT's with manual transmissions, I was really kind of jerked. I hadn't had a 'real' performance car (i'm not sure if an 86 Daytona TurboZ fits this bill) since my 84 Mercury Capri RS 5.0L or my 87 Merkur XR4Ti, so I was torn between this SS/SC and the Hyundai Tiburon GT V6... luckily I came to my senses and took the SS/SC.

All this has probably been covered a bunch before, but i was feeling chatty.

Scott
Old 01-01-2007, 06:44 AM

I'm old school. I mean I have to compare the SC to cars such as the 1968 charger 383 magnum,1969 charger R/T 440x4's, and a 1970 challenger T/A 340 six pack all long gone. So all in all I would have to say bang for the buck in this day and age I really enjoy the the high RPM rev the cobalt gives me. I mean where else can you get that kind of juice for 24 grand and it's a hell of allot cheaper than a Vette.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:25 AM

Great car, good price, awesome features for the price! Handling is top notch, power is plentiful! Getting an intake really makes the car sound like a different car! And not to mention we stilll get 20ish MPG (personally I have been averaging around 22-24!), and still whooop up on Mustangs and some Camaros! Oh, yeah by the way I had a 93' Mitsu Eclipse GSX! The only thing I miss is the AWD!
Old 01-01-2007, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Xavier
Have had mine for two weeks now... and since then i cant take off the big ass smile on my face! awesome car!
I've had mine for exactly 2 weeks today...and I feel the same way, I still can't believe its sitting in my driveway.
I'm coming from having owned multiple eclipses and talons prior to the cobalt, but I still have one of my DSMs. I got rid of my 95 Eclipse to put the downpayment on the cobalt. I wanted to get rid of the Eclipse cause it was getting up to 170K miles, tho it still got around like a dream I figured it wouldn't last much longer, and I wanted to get a car that would be similar to my Eclipse, but a little quicker. The Cobalt fits that perfectly. And I got all the options it came with, except the blockheater, which I wish I would have gotten.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:17 AM

i am going to have to agree with everyone else and say the Coblat is the best car i have driven. I have a 98 honda accord before but this one beats it to ****. This car is SO much fun to drive. Power, handeling what more can you ask for?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Banned

I have had my car for a year and a 1/2.

SUmmer - love it. it goes pretty quick and has a great ride stock. But I felt the power could be better, too many holes in the powerband to fill. GMS2 is a very good fix! Gives you the extra RPM so you are able to push it a little further rather than grabbing the next gear. now I have a 2.79 pulley and I can tell you that it is good enough for the streets without this but for $70 why not?

Handling was two loose for my liking and lower is better to get the center of gravity. sportlines made a world of difference in the handling department. ride is better over sharp edged bumps and cracks in the road but the front end can now bottom if your not careful (we have the worst roads in north america I bet). Still would not go back to stock.

Winter - Well we get a lot of snow. I plan on getting a winter beater. it does ok but I just dont like dragging its ass through the snow.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:18 PM

I had a 02 Cavalier Z24 (Intake, Exhaust, Coilovers , Carbon Fiber Turbo Vent Hood, Rims, System, LED [inside and out], 64mm Throttle Body, Front & Rear Strut Tower Braces, Short Throw Shifter) and I loved my little 1st place show car.

Though December 05 I test drove a SS/SC and fell in love with it and now after my Cavalier died I bought this and no regrets!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:35 PM

I had a 2000 honda civic EX. I was moding it and deciding to put a turbo in but decided to get the Cobalt becuase it was more caust effective for me at least. I love driveing the Cobalt. It is so much faster and better handling. I do not think that I have ever driven this fast of a car. I had a 69' mustang with a 305 That was a nice car but needed a lot of body work and $1000 of dollers to fix.

The Coblat is the best.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:33 AM

I love my SS/SC! I look for the stupidest reasons to go for drives while I'm at school! I get compliments on it all the time. Pretty sure its the fastest car on campus, except for a rich bastard who commutes with a G35! The Fujita intake sets off the blower whine with perfection. It turns heads everywhere when I punch it. This replaced my cavalier, and I thought it was going to be a tough break up, but I never looked back.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:58 PM

Thumbs up I'll add my 2 cents too....

I really enjoy my SS/SC. Had it nearly 3 months, has just turned 6,000 miles and everyone of them put a smile on my face. I'm 50+ years and have driven a bunch of different cars, including a lot of GM products in Europe. I came from family oriented 4 wheel drives with auto trans. I've modded the car (as you can see from my sig) and will do more to it. It's well put together (so far) and has a classy interior.

But then, that's why we're here on this forum..........
Old 01-03-2007, 12:17 AM

Handles like it is glued to the road. Amazing to take a tight turn and accelerate into it, and feel the car is rock solid on the ground
Old 01-03-2007, 12:37 AM

First off, let me say that this is what I'm talking about. Damn good comments about the Cobey and no moronic remarks. I just hope that I did not jinx it. lol..This being said..

I have been interested in the Cobalt since they came out and even more so towards the end of 2005. I have been through close to 15 or 20 vehicles to include; 4 Beretta's, 2 Camaros both 79's, an S10, 98 Cavy Z24 and a few others. My last ride was a modded 04 Trailblazer LS 4X4..I must say that the only regret that I will have is not having 4 wheel drive for the snow and no interior space for clubbin with friends but...

To compensate for that..She's damn original still, the underdog for sure, damn quick and in the works to be even faster, dead sexy to look at and handles pretty freakin well. Bang for your buck, you cannot beat it. I have the low spoiler and like the stealthiness of it, but the high mount is nice too. For the price and what you get, she is def. worth the buy.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:47 AM

I had an 01 Xtreme Blazer. It had good lines and rode really nice at least for me. It rode very firm, not bouncy like most SUVs. But the power just wasnt there. Plus I really wanted a car, just to be low to the ground and get at least 20 mpg, hehe. Ive wanted to get a SS/SC since I saw the first pics of it back in early 05. I test drove it on my bday and fell in love with it. I havent had any problems with it at all and is awesome to drive. Like most people will say it handles very well, the turning radius aint that great due to the 18s ive heard but that doesnt matter, lol. Acceleration is good for stock. It aint no WRX but its 8k less and will beat from a 55 mph roll stock for stock ; ). The interior is nice for me but could be better quality but thats to their own opinion. Over all its a great car, especially perfromance wise and everything else.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:54 AM

this car is AMAZING. my last car which i still own is a 69 SS chevelle. LOTS of fun to drive and LOTS of looks. this car is the same way LOTS of fun to drive and LOTS of looks. wouldnt trade my balt for anything