General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Take off rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take off rear spoiler

Ok, I'm planning to buy a 2007 Cobalt SS with the 2.4L engine. I'd like to know if it's very hard to get rid of the spoiler and do i have to buy another trunk or can i just cover the holes with mastic and paint it...

I've seen some pics of some Cobalt in here without spoilers and I think it's very nice looking.

Thank you
Old 02-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not hard at all to take off... 2 bolts and some sticky tape.. .as long as you paint it well it will look like it came without one.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:47 PM

but there will be holes in the trunk right? So I'll have to use mastic or some sort of hole filler then paint it, clear and then polish it?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:50 PM

Why not just order one without the wing... it is an option.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:02 PM

Apparently not in Canada. It's gonna cost me $$ foe them to take it off because they have to change the trunk too.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:06 PM

Hmm... that's strange... usually a dealer can order up that type of thing. Otherwise it's gonna be $$$ to get the holes filled and the trunk repainted too. Oughta see if they'd trunk-swap another car on the lot that's the same color.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chem-guy
but there will be holes in the trunk right? So I'll have to use mastic or some sort of hole filler then paint it, clear and then polish it?
yes, pretty much. or, you can trade trunks with someone that doesnt' have a spoiler. lots of the base models don't come with a spoiler, and people want them. there's always trunk trade threads on here.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:12 PM

yeah, but i'M in montreal. hahaha You guys are all in the US, I'm in Canada. And I've never change trunk before, all the wiring, the bolts... I'm not sure I'd like to do it by myself.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:07 PM

I called a dealer and they said they could take off the whole trunk with the spoiler and put it on another Cobalt (LS,LT) that doesn't have a spoiler and put the trunk of the other Cobalt on mine. Of course they won't give me back the money for not taking the spoiler...

They sais they could make an exception...
Old 02-21-2007, 12:36 PM

Hey what color is your car gonna be? I might buy that spoiler from you, if you want to get rid of it.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Banned

Apparently not in Canada. It's gonna cost me $$ foe them to take it off because they have to change the trunk too.
yeah, but i'M in montreal. hahaha You guys are all in the US, I'm in Canada. And I've never change trunk before, all the wiring, the bolts... I'm not sure I'd like to do it by myself.
I called a dealer and they said they could take off the whole trunk with the spoiler and put it on another Cobalt (LS,LT) that doesn't have a spoiler and put the trunk of the other Cobalt on mine. Of course they won't give me back the money for not taking the spoiler...

They sais they could make an exception...
The dealers are commission who care about one thing. getting your money the easiest way they can. now at least they are not telling you that you cant. I have seen a dealer repaint a whole car. they told the customer "oh you want that exact car with the same interior but in silver? no problem, your in luck, we have one coming in 6 days!" LOL they painted the car in 6 days a called them up and the customer bought the car. some dealers are just brutal. that does not happen much but it can happen.

so possibly you could order the car with the trunk the way you want. Call GM CANADA and find out or call another dealer.

I had my '05 shaved. I did the wing antenna and key hole. $700 bones and no rust guarantee! I love it.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:10 PM

DSMissed, hey it's gonna be black. But I'm finally going to buy the G5 GT and they can't do the trade cause all the coupe G5 come with the spoiler. I'm gonna take it off so if someone wants tobuy it...

I just don't know what i'm gonna do with the holes. I called repair shops and it's gonna be around 300$ CND just to fill the holes and paint the whole trunk. What would you guys suggest?
Old 02-25-2007, 07:11 PM

Isn't the G5 wing different from the Cobalt wing?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:08 PM

Even if you are in montreal. You get a new car, just ride down there. I'll follow since I'm in montreal too
Old 02-26-2007, 06:57 AM

Snipes, I just love the look of your Cobalt without the spoiler...

Silverstreak, nah, it's the same spoiler on the SS not with the Supercharge and the G5 GT.

SSmike, yeah i could do this... Could be a nice road trip.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:53 PM

you could buy the little plugs that fill the holes
it won't look perfect, but unless you Show your car, I wouldn't worry about it, it would save you a couple hundred dollars
Old 02-26-2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by tiny
you could buy the little plugs that fill the holes
it won't look perfect, but unless you Show your car, I wouldn't worry about it, it would save you a couple hundred dollars
Where can I buy these plugs you speak of??
Old 02-27-2007, 06:13 AM

Yeah tiny, where can we buy those plugs?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:42 AM

The couple hundred dollars you save is not worth it. Believe me, there is no way to make it look good, unless you take it into a booth and at least feather edge it, meaning, paint a large area of the trunk to make it all blend in. And if your gonna do that, you might as well take the trunk off, fill the holes, sand the whole trunk down, primer it yourself, then take it to a shop for the actual painting of it.
I just think you'll be pissed with the results if you attempt to fix the holes only. Thats not something you want to half-ass, not on a brand new car.

I don't know, I'm probably more critical than alot of people would be, I went to school for all that.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:32 AM

DSMissed, you are right buddy. I think I'll keep my money and spend it on filling the holes and repainting it...

Thanks to all of you guys...
Old 02-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DSMissed
The couple hundred dollars you save is not worth it. Believe me, there is no way to make it look good, unless you take it into a booth and at least feather edge it, meaning, paint a large area of the trunk to make it all blend in. And if your gonna do that, you might as well take the trunk off, fill the holes, sand the whole trunk down, primer it yourself, then take it to a shop for the actual painting of it.
I just think you'll be pissed with the results if you attempt to fix the holes only. Thats not something you want to half-ass, not on a brand new car.

I don't know, I'm probably more critical than alot of people would be, I went to school for all that.
Your absolutely right. I paid a shop, they are professionals at this work, I got the car back and I got shrinkage. With shrinkage there is shrinking of the body and paint material on the car after it is done. many factors play into getting shrinkage - Humidity, type of product used, quality of the specific batch of the product used, time inbetween application of product (fillers, primer, paint, clear coast). It was pretty bad too. you could see the cross hatch of the filing and prep work they had done after a month. when I got the car it was perfect. but the work was guaranteed. wet sanded and repainted. it is more perfect than ever. no one can tell. most think it is factory. that is the way it should be.

If your going to do it dont cheap out. I didnt and very happy.

thanks for the comment on the looks of the car CHEM-GUY!
Old 03-01-2007, 06:58 AM

No prob ssnipes, your car just looks awesome. I just like the way it looks without the spoiler. It gives it a classy, prestigious sporty style.

Thanks for the comments, you all convinced me to have it done by pros...